• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Help

Adi

Smash Lord
Hey guys, yesterday I came back from my first tourney and I was actually doing all right in the pools and friendlies. However, when it came to the actual tournament I got *****, namely by the ice climbers.

I was wondering if there was any particular strategy when fighting them. I found myself getting grabbed a lot (I think that was because of the different fast fall timing though) after SHFFLING into him. When I tried to go campy laser on him he just jumped over it and shot iceblocks out, which wasn't that bad but still rather annoying because of the way they travel on the ground and catch me when I'm falling after the laser.

Any particular advice vs. them, anything is appreciated and thanks ahead of time.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Fastfall before you start the aerial, so you'll fastfall through Nana as well as Popo. So fastfall, then start your aerial both after the peak of your SH. It'll prevent a lot of L-cancelling screwups, and it also reduces the lag on your part after an aerial.

HylianLord

Smash Ace
ah cool, i just learned how to play against them myself. here are some tips.

against ice climbers, don't stay too close but not too far. when you laser them, ice climber players like to full hop block, when that happens, run under them and like uair or like shine them and start comboing.

heres a way to always correctly SHFFL your aerials. do the aerial late and fast fall first. so basically wait for the peak of your jump, fast fall first them immediately do your aerial (i use c stick for dair mostly). or what you can do is just not fast fall at all and land behind them. the only problem with that method is the IC can WD behind you and grab or something os maybe do a utilt when you land.

when you get grabbed (you wil get grabbed sometime unless you are perfect), theres only a few things you can do i guess. if you get wobbled well i feel bad for you =( well try to struggle, if they try the dthrow -> dair chainthrow, DI the throw away and right when you get hit by the dair smash DI away and hold L (or R) and c stick roll or spot dodge because they will try to grab you again.

another tip i can give you is when you laser camp alot, their shield inevitably gets smaller. once that happens, use laser -> fsmash alot, it'll most likely hit popo / nana. if they anticipate the fsmash and roll away / behind you, chase them.

that is all. gl =)

EDIT: what hydrokirby just told you is what i told him yesterday. that loser :D

Repryx

Smash Champion
The best thing Ive ever done was Use Mindgames to get a Shine in Then Combo the Small one (Nana? I always mix 'em up). Combo Nana until she Dies then the other is ALL yours! I call it Forced Desynching.

BTW if Popo Charges you then toss Nana into him using the fthrow.

Try Not to think of them as the Ice Climbers Rather See them as Two annoying Jump noise *******...(I do anyway) And if you see them as two separate them its easier to Forcefully Desynch them.

EDIT: Another way is to Throw Popo off the edge and wait for an Up B then Dair him or Nana

Adi

Smash Lord
Hey thanks for the replies, in the match I used Double Stick DI up, which actually worked fairly well for avoiding getting completely ***** by the chaingrab but being high in the air isn't a very good position in any case.

As far as hitting them goes, I feel that if I try to go under them when they jump for the iceblock, I'll just get hit by the iceblock anyways. I'll definetely start using throws more though, I avoided it in my match because I felt like the other climber would hit me while I was holding his partner but it'll be useful in seperating them.

Repryx

Smash Champion
Cool! Do your IC ****** combos!
P.S Wavelanding is good into Shine JC grab or SHFFL Dair onto Grab!!!! THrows their Game off!

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Hey thanks for the replies, in the match I used Double Stick DI up, which actually worked fairly well for avoiding getting completely ***** by the chaingrab but being high in the air isn't a very good position in any case.

As far as hitting them goes, I feel that if I try to go under them when they jump for the iceblock, I'll just get hit by the iceblock anyways. I'll definetely start using throws more though, I avoided it in my match because I felt like the other climber would hit me while I was holding his partner but it'll be useful in seperating them.

Doublestick DIing Up has no difference than just holding up on the control stick. Read Doraki's DI guide. That's the ultimate source for not dying.

Adi

Smash Lord
Doublestick DIing Up has no difference than just holding up on the control stick. Read Doraki's DI guide. That's the ultimate source for not dying.
Well what I did was hold the C-stick up, and then quarter circle DI'd to the top left/left, resulting in me going generally upwards. Is this the best way to DI when you're getting chain thrown?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Ok, that does something. Although i'm not sure on how to escape the dair chainthrow yet. (i'm assuming that's the chainthrow you're talking about since that's the one that you would SDI to escape. I always figured you would ASDI away, and maybe SDI up&away or just away. I'm not sure yet.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Grab Popo and downthrow. It will separate them and if you do it fast you will not get smashed. Then gimp Nana.

You can laser camp Popo all you want.

dReAMCloUd - Assault K 40

Smash Apprentice
Yo c-stick DI does nothing for throws it's ASDI after all and that has no effect on most throws with the exception of some like......kirby's and jiggly's. Also, why are you talking about quarter circle DI for throws.....that's only useful if you plan on smash DI'ing. You should just pick a direction and stick to it, that way you'll actually go in the direction inputed.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i snooped around the ice climbers forum a bit over a week ago and found some valuable info:

Fox and Falco CAN NOT be dair chaingrabbed.

How to get out: Regular DI down/away, C-Stick DI away. The C-Stick DI is not for the throw, it's for the dair.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Also, shine Nana off the top with shine => shine => shine or shine => shine => shine => up b.

Top Bottom