• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers combos for floaty Chars

Genuine

Smash Apprentice
Hey I was just wandering if there any combo vids with floaty chars. Well I really dont mean super floaty I just mean combos for chars that arent fast fallers. You could just tell me some moves that start off combos for non fast fallers like marth and other people.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
i believe that standard grab -> popo/headbutt nana/blizzard -> popo/dthrow nana/shdair -> grab -> repeat works on most characters.

for really floatys its more of a wavesmash game imo

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
some tips about floaties:
- dairs are more effective, especially for damage. just watch out for CC. dairs helped me beat luigis, samus, and jigglypuffs which i previously found difficult
- choknater combo: popo dthrow, nana dair, popo dair, nana fsmash
- uairs are great and are even credible for killing at 130+ percents
- this is a chance where smaller stage ceilings are actually beneficial to ic's. pick pokemon stadium and yoshi story against floaties, as well as FD.
- watch out for LUIGI on FD. he is the only character that wavedashes faster than ic and can therefore out-maneuver them on that stage

Genuine

Smash Apprentice
i believe that standard grab -> popo/headbutt nana/blizzard -> popo/dthrow nana/shdair -> grab -> repeat works on most characters.

Well I already do that grab combo on every one I face ,but I want to know some other combos to mix up my moves instead of doing that over and over. Ill keep that Wavesmashing in mind tough

some tips about floaties:
- dairs are more effective, especially for damage. just watch out for CC. dairs helped me beat luigis, samus, and jigglypuffs which i previously found difficult
- choknater combo: popo dthrow, nana dair, popo dair, nana fsmash
- uairs are great and are even credible for killing at 130+ percents
- this is a chance where smaller stage ceilings are actually beneficial to ic's. pick pokemon stadium and yoshi story against floaties, as well as FD.
- watch out for LUIGI on FD. he is the only character that wavedashes faster than ic and can therefore out-maneuver them on that stage
-Well I never shffl dairs i only use them in there chain grabs. I try it
-That combo souds smexy I might incorporate that into my game.
-Uairs are my best friend. If down throw into up samsh doesnt kill them then I usually ***** my Uair
-^^^^
- Ill keep that in mind

Thanks for the tips anybody else have any combos, tips, or combo vids

Nintendude

Smash Hero

It only works if they don't DI or jump.
I don't try hard to grab floaties because it's hard to do a lot with it, unless Wobbling isn't banned...

dj asakura

Smash Ace
i was pretty sure the shdair kept them them close enough to grab regardless of DI? and i didnt think they really had time to jump...

regardless choknater gave some solid and VERY true advice

pockyD

Smash Legend
i was pretty sure the shdair kept them them close enough to grab regardless of DI? and i didnt think they really had time to jump...

regardless choknater gave some solid and VERY true advice
doesn't really work on any floaties except peach, and peach can still escape using smash DI

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Chaingrabs don't work well on floaties. I'd suggest just using desynch combos. Ko them vertically because all of the floaties have great horizontal recovery, I think.

Genuine

Smash Apprentice
I really havent tried the d throw- nana fair- repeat
Ive only really usesd that on the computer how does it work on a human.

pockyD

Smash Legend
it will generally work maybe once but its effectiveness is as a surprise tactic; it's really easy to break if they see it coming but if they aren't prepared you can get a regrab/smash

FalcoNoJutsu

Smash Apprentice
Some other combos that might work on floaty characters are

*Grab...Popo down throw/Nana f-air/popo down smash or
*Grab...Popo down throw/Nana Upsmash

Binx

Smash Master
On floaties I try and get grabs and basically I like to dthrow, nana upsmash and then uairs or bairs, also if they expect a dthrow fsmash they will usually DI up and you can just wait a second and upsmash with both climbers and low percents then uair for about 12 more damage, little bit more risky though. I usually just grab smash and after 60% grab bliz smash.

Genuine

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for all the tips. Do you have any specific strategies for Dr mario and Mario because we have a lot of good mario players in my state.

Binx

Smash Master
Dont get Fair'd on the stage because nana wont Di and it sets her up for a fsmash or dsmash, I like to use alot of extra blizzards to keep him away so I can approach, dthrow uair at low to mid percents rack up alot of damage.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
well, after playing some decent kids todat i've come to two conclusions.

1. i am better then i thought i was with the IC's (unimportant really) and...

2. i suck HARD agaisnt a good Jigglypuff, so i'll return to the threads question of how to deal with floties, but more specifically, Jiggs

mood4food77

Smash Hero
dthrow fair works on all characters

also, dthrow smashes work well

pretty much, anything from a dthrow is all you got (but what else do ICs do anyways...)

wavedash smashes also help

other than that..not much you can do to a jiggs or a samus

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Jiggs is a LOT easier than Samus. Shield her aerials, WD out of shield to jab -> grab/D-smash. Mix in a few F-smashes and B-airs.

bËst^

Smash Journeyman
against floaties... well this is what I usually do against them.

I play pretty defensive play and move wavedashing holding my shield on. I look a spot to get a dsmash or a grab in and after that I have time to attack. best grab combo against many floaters might be dthrow -> (meteor)fair -> jab (right after meteor to lift your opponent up) -> new grab... and chain keeps on going. and when percetages are high enough -> dthrow -> meteor fair -> dsmash (this is not perfect working chaingrab method but it might work several times and makes good percentages ^_^)

also best atatck to KO floaters is usmash. usmash straight out of shield is quite effective. or if you get a grab... well I prefer uthrow -> usmash. load the usmash with nana and then throw up with Popo and release the usmash.

bair is also pretty good atttack against floaters because of its power.

well that way I can survive against floaties. for me the most difficult floater is Luigi but I can handle them ^_^

S0FT

Smash Ace
So I was playing Ice Climbers one day for fun, you know practicing the down throw down air chain grab and some other highly technical stuff and I realized that Ice Climbers suck so I quit.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ICs is the hardest character to use, you can't just pick them up

you can try dthrow, dair, usmash if you time it right, it's going to be a really late dair though, and it has to be a full jump too

Binx

Smash Master
So I was playing Ice Climbers one day for fun, you know practicing the down throw down air chain grab and some other highly technical stuff and I realized that Ice Climbers suck so I quit.
They arent the best character in the game or anything, but I disagree with "they suck" I think you just really have to like them to keep playing them, you have to like the character itself enough to forge through they're weakness to other characters. My friend that I play for practice basically just picks marth against my ICs everytime now so he can 3 stock me because he wants me to main a high tier, and I just let him 3 stock me, and I have alot of fun doing it. Other Marths dont really scare me anymore cause I have alot of experience in the matchup now, overall I think its a good thing, I know most of what Marth can do to me and most Marth probably dont know what to do.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
1. Dthrow dair isn't technical at all. MAstering desychs is

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
when you use your up air...make sure to c stick or be gentle tipping the control stick.

you dont want to use another jump using your up air. you want to be able to fast fall it and jump again to land anouther Uair/Bair before you touch the ground. This works well with floatys at low percentages. If they are higher go for an up air into a back air.(watch OC chu and you will see a LOT of it)

Shffl back airs are your freind agaisnt floatys as well.

Smash Master
You can actually chaingrab jigglypuff with d-throw to fair spike until around 50% if they don't DI. (I don't know if it works if they do, but it looks insanely beastly.) Desynched U-tilt to charged Upsmash is also very good against floaties.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i does work, but jiggs is so floaty that she'll most likely jump out

it can still work though

mood4food77

Smash Hero
well, if the jiggs doesn't meteor cancel, it works since most players don't when are going to land on the stage

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Umm... I don't really know much against Jiggs beyond WD'ing into jab to punish landing lag. F-smashes are great because you can catch her DI'ing away and land early kills; mix up ordinary and perfect wavedashes to confuse her spacing, and then go in for the KO moves.

You have to really watch out for blind rests, since if she connects with Nana (which can be fairly easy to do) then you wind up unable to really punish her.

I don't really use many grab combos other than charging up-smashes against her. I find attempting to chaingrab is risky compared to the good damage from a simple grab smash, and she dies at fairly low percents so it's not so bad.

Your best defensive options are probably retreating b-airs. I've gotten a lot of low percent kills from a Jiggs DI'ing away and/or down when I clip them with one. Makes you feel good when she dies at 70 like she's supposed to.

Binx

Smash Master
at low percents I try for grab dthrow usmash and uairs or maybe one bair depending on DI, Watch this match its really old but has some good anti samus stuff in it.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
If you grab any character near the edge of the stage (facing the edge), Nana, if she grabs, will always F-throw. With that in mind, Azn_Lep told me this:

grab, P-pummel + N-blizzard, D-throw, Nana regrab, P-grab, P-pummel + N-blizzard, D-throw + N-U-smash.

This will 0-death Puff, and with a bit of damage on before, or more pummels/f-tilts, can 0-death any floaty character. The Nana regrab is a bit tricky, but very useful. Just grab with Nana just after the enemy is bouncing up from the floor out of Popo's D-throw. Remember her six delay frames.

If you aren't near the edge, you can still use blizzards, pummels, tilts, Nana regrabs and Smashes to rack up an easy 40+% percent with a grab. And ending with U-smash or D-throw leads into Uair to Bair. So that gives you an offstage floaty with at least 60-70%. You can also attempt Nana regrabs anywhere, because if she F or D-throws, you can P-regrab.

Ice Climbers ****. :)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
use dairs on aerial jigglypuffs and luigis freely. trust me it works.

dair out of your shield can punish them too when they spam the aerials on you. you guys speak of jabbing, which is a nice tap. but it's difficult to hit jiggs and luigi with jabs if they keep attacking close from the air.

dair freely!!! it is a good move. sets up smashes too. just like a jab yo.

just watch out for CC. jiggly can cc usmash or fsmash if her % is low. luigi's cc dsmash will kill nana... or you.

choknater does not grab floaties.... lol... i finally beat meep when i figured out how useful dairs are. that jadin esquire fella from florida at 0c3 helped me a lot with jigglypuff also.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
The only floaty you should probably avoid grabbing is Luigi. Jiggs is punishable after pounds and smashes, Peach is punishable after every missed d-smash, Samus is just a very grabbable character. I'm not saying you NEVER grab Luigi, but you certainly shouldn't chase too many grabs.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Against Luigi... I just spam blizzard :( I don't really know how to fight him at all. I try and wait for him to mess up so I can hit him with up-airs, and if I can guess a spot dodge correctly then I get the grab, but apart from that I really hate fighting him. Especially since his misfires tend to hit Nana when I'm trying to edgehog and then he survives and argh. I hate Luigi :(

I would like to see Chu play Ka-Master so I could see what he does against THE Luigi player.

I also found that retreating forward-air tends to keep you pretty safe from most of his stuff. But his short hop is so good against IC's... argh. What an irritating fight.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
LOL I used to main Luigi and I now use him to counter IC's I come across (only one other so far).

What do you do against Jigglypuff's Pound? It is like the hardest move in the game to punish.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Jump out of shield with an aerial (usually back air or neutral air). Either that, or I try just not to get hit by it and land a wavedashing grab or f-smash.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
LOL I used to main Luigi and I now use him to counter IC's I come across (only one other so far).

What do you do against Jigglypuff's Pound? It is like the hardest move in the game to punish.
space it, and not get hit, i guess...?

well, i guess that's not a good option, because most good jigglypuffs will mindgame into it first before executing. the best bet is to just shield it and then roll away. intercepting it with an fsmash is good too, if you're daring enough.

there's a useful thing i use now that helps my spacing an INCREDIBLE amount. when wding, a c-sticked fsmash will normally keep me sliding. by charging the smash, it stops the slide and i can time the smash more precisely. this has helped me a great deal with spacing luigi and jigglypuff, especially when they jump in for those annoying aerials. this even helps SO much against ledgehop attacks. i tend to perfect WD every time, so back wd fsmashes usually miss my ledgehopping opponent because i go too far. i can't really break my habit of long wd's, so now i can stop them by charging a smash.

i can see why ic's have trouble against luigis... he's the only character that wavedashes better than them. like some have said, he's nearly ungrabbable. you just have to play differently, and spacing is more key than anything. i guess this is why i'm actually more proficient against floaties now than i am against falcon and fox... 0c3 really changed me. i'm notorious for being a non-grab ice climbers now, xD

Top Bottom