• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IC power rankings

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
The problem there is that only 2 or 3 IC players actually have comparable tournament results. We can't compare Hozart's record to Azn_Lep's because they never play the same people. Trying to draw conclusions from their tournament records would mean assigning values to the people they beat, which is clearly a hopeless situation. The national power rankings committee could scarcely do it for the top 25 people in the nation, a group that travels all the time and has hundreds of matchups against each other. How would you propose we do the same when only 1 IC player travels nationally, and another 2 or 3 travel strictly within their region?

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
You're not addressing the real issue: why would somebody put me at eighth? I'm at least 7 and a halfth.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
The problem with tournament results is that we don't all play the same people, except like me and choknater.

And is it that hard to make a list to 10?

edit: Oops, neal got to it first.

Hozart

Smash Journeyman
The problem there is that only 2 or 3 IC players actually have comparable tournament results. We can't compare Hozart's record to Azn_Lep's because they never play the same people. Trying to draw conclusions from their tournament records would mean assigning values to the people they beat, which is clearly a hopeless situation. The national power rankings committee could scarcely do it for the top 25 people in the nation, a group that travels all the time and has hundreds of matchups against each other. How would you propose we do the same when only 1 IC player travels nationally, and another 2 or 3 travel strictly within their region?
A convincing argument, and I must concede that you are correct. In which case, tournament results are not the most useful form of evidence. ^_^

It seems that most judgments and evidence are being made from tournament videos, with there being the proposal of assigning values to players. Although there are many questionable elements regarding this practice (such as, does it really show skill?), perhaps then more IC videos will be coming up from the best players interested in getting a name for themselves. If this occurs, hopefully this means less threads asking for help with X match-up, where X is every character ICs have a challenge with.

*sigh* I don't know where I'm going with this, so I must admit that I'm biased and I'm just happy to have made many people's list, and now I'm motivated to get even better. :laugh:

path411

Smash Cadet
I don't think you can ever tell if someone is better than another unless they actually play each other.

In some matches people seem to not be as good just because of mind games and such, but in others they play very technical because the situation calls for it.

Buddha

Smash Apprentice
you dont deserve to make it to the power rankings if youre not willing to travel regularly to large tournaments and build a consistent history of beating well-known opponents and placing high. only then will you have enough comparable data to actually rank.
meep, wobbles, uber, hozart, etc have all been ranked on here anywhere from 3rd to 8th to not even on the list at all. what does that tell you? obviously, its nearly impossible to compare one to the other and you shouldnt expect anything different from people.
this list was a joke from the start. but fun anyways.

my list:
1. Buddha aka "Eye Heart Queef"
2. Cowboys of Moo Mesa
3. Hexadecimal (<-- cookies if you get that one)
4. aZnX_GAngStuhDr4g0n_SeOuljAh
5. Carl Winslow
6. The Mom from TaleSpin
7. Refrigerator
8. Chu*

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Refrigerator is too good. Seriously, he 4 stocks Ken. 0_o

I don't know how much thought went into all these lists, I know that I watched vids of all the players on my list save Sidefx, who I can confidently place where he is due to his tournament record. Some of the lists seem like total BS though.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
It would be more accurate to say that the best way to tell who is better is on the basis of their results against a large group of people. If I can beat everybody player X can beat but he can beat me frequently, then we can say he's better. But if I lose to player Y, and he can't beat ANYBODY that I can beat, then I'm probably better.

And of course, you'd be watching us play IC dittos to see who was better. Which are great fun, mind you, but you don't know who the better player is solely on the dittos. It goes by a comparison of results against a large pool of the same people. It's science, baby.

Buddha

Smash Apprentice
IC dittos dont mean **** when youre trying to compare players and find out whos got a more developed overall game. this means how advanced their matchups are against OTHER characters, mainly high-mid tiers like Fox, Falco, Peach, Marth that are ****ing everywhere at tournaments, not just against ICs which you hardly ever see. use your head, its not that hard of a concept.

p.s. Carlton Banks > you.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Climber dittos don't mean ****. I don't even think they're very fun. Too much D-Smashing, no grabs or desynch combos.

The only way we can make a judgment is to watch vids of all the players who have potential to make the list.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Actually, grabbing in an IC ditto is key to victory. It's probably the most guaranteed way to split Nana and Popo up.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ic dittos, much like fox dittos, are gimp-fests. it's a matter of who has more will to win.

they're generally considered **** (i used to) because they're not fun and they don't allow flashiness. but actually it's a battle of wits between who knows more about the character, and ways to approach and whatnot.

in short, movesets in ic vs ic are even more limited than ic vs peach :p

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'm sorta confused as to why you all are trying to make a ranking list when there isn't enough big names still out there.

And I'm not on the list! LOL But that's to be expected after vanishing.

In all honesty I recognize Azen, Chu and Meep and that's all from these lists. That just shows how far I'm out of this. I remember when Corey was on the list for crying out loud.

However if you wish for me to rate your vids I will at some point.

(Oh and I haven't played Chill'n yet with my IC have I?)

Delphiki

Smash Champion
There are probably not enough to do 15, let alone 20. And as it seems right now, we only have two lists which have 10. If we can't do 10 we won't do anything.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
It would be nice to see, but you can't rate like that. For instance. I was watching Wobbles' vids recently and his first match wasn't impressive to me at all. While the next was more then amazing.

My point is, some people can completely own average players by three stock. Other's will barely beat the average player. However, the play who barely wins may simply play as well as their opponent. Meaning for the most part, the seemingly worse player can barely beat someone of let's say Anden's level while the seemingly better player may get completely owned by him.

Now if you could get the top five to each play, Azen, Hugs, Chill'n/KM, Sastopher and Chu, then rate and average out the strong and weak points then you'd have a better shot. I think those match-ups would at the very least show which technical, clever, fast, long livers, and knowledgable of the IC's game outside of the grab. Just a quick idea that probably won't work.

Crap, Anden is pretty inactive isn't he... Sigh, you get the point. [insert "really good player" for Anden.]

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Creating a vid just to showcase your abilities is called a combo video, and it does not help relate skill because it takes only the best aspects of a player. However in order to judge a player it is necessary to see both the good and the bad. Therefore, the best way to rate a number of players who have not faced one another or have competed often against the same opponents, it is necessary to relate their skill through videos of full matches against known, skilled opponents.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Yeah I've seen Azen pull out the IC on more then one occasion. Never seen him lose with them either. However when it comes to Azen, it's not as much his technical skill with each character but the his knowledge of priority and his mindgames.

sidefx

Smash Champion
all you need to know is that chu is the best with ic's that is all.. no need to menchion random people that play ic's ( including me delphiki...) because there no point to compare to chu, cause the gap is so wide from 1st to 2nd. well not that wide.. but the gap continues to grow wider as you progress down the line in who ever the top 10 ic's are. i never said i was good.. in fact i suck. so if anyone thinks im good.. im really not =D chu trial wobbles meep azn lep. seriously those are probably the only real tourny experianced ic players that accually are worth talking about. no offence to anyone else that plays ic's but seriously.. those are the only ic players you see in a big tournament results list. and regional ic's that havent played in atleast one mlg, and made it to pro bracket arent worth talking about. =P

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Everyone is this thread is a peon when compared to the Overlord! And yes I mean Neal Death Trap. (That's what DT really means if you didn't know) Seriously though, what everyone's saying is right. There aren't nearly enough inter-regional results to to even do top 5. Top 10 is a joke. But since it seems mandatory, my list would go...

1. Domo (desynch master, zomg have you seen his vids?)
2. N1c2k3 (Infinite Possibilites was too cool)
3. Meep (is TA, that's enough)
4. Neal (has the sickest dog in the world, and finally came outta the closet)
5. Azen (cause he's the master of diversity)
6. Chu (I barely gave him 6th cause he has beaten some good people)
100. Sidefx (cause he's Persian and I'm Greek. Go see 300)

Out the hizotch, as they say, I think? Idk...

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Thank you, my good man. It was too much, you're right. And my list was in complete jest. It was just adding to the point that there's not nearly enough results to even attempt a top IC player list...

Buddha

Smash Apprentice
rofl at those taking these lists seriously.

1. chu
2. azen
3. THIS IS SPARTA!!!...
4. 300
5. 300
6. Transformers

but seriously, how is this thread not closed.

Top Bottom