• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I want to start something for myself on YouTube...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
...but I need a demographic and a focus.

I've been tinkering around with gaming videos on YouTube for a while, and I have achieved the kind of recording quality I want. But I don't know exactly what I want to make videos about. Let's Plays and Reviews are on the mind, as well as miscellaneous things like speed runs. But I need some suggestions, I need people to tell me what they would like to see.

If anyone has any ideas on what I could upload on to YouTube (even suggest specific games to play/review), I would really appreciate it. I want to make videos that both entertain and enlighten others. So everyone's suggestions are valued!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If you do let's plays, at least if worst comes to worst you could end up on Retsuprae

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If you do let's plays, at least if worst comes to worst you could end up on Retsuprae
I don't think that will happen. My issue isn't that I can't present myself and organise things (I've just spent the last week or so perfecting my video quality), I just need something to focus on that I know at least a few people could enjoy.

Here's the video quality I have achieved, for reference:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I started recording a Sonic Lost World Wii U playthrough today. Got 5 out of 9 parts done. I'll finish recording tomorrow and then I will do all of the other tasks related to it during the week. I'll probably be able to start uploading for it by the time Mario Kart 8 comes out.

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I don't think that will happen. My issue isn't that I can't present myself and organise things (I've just spent the last week or so perfecting my video quality), I just need something to focus on that I know at least a few people could enjoy.

Here's the video quality I have achieved, for reference:

Hot damn. Real curious, how'd you do that?

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Speedruns, lets plays Minecraft because whoever in that community is insanely popular Screw that game, do what you like and act like what you are like in the real universe and soon people will enjoy your vids.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Hot damn. Real curious, how'd you do that?
I use an Elgato Game Capture HD to record footage, which gives me 1080p recordings. I also make sure to set the bit rate as high as it can go.

However, due to YouTube's video compression, uploading the 1080p video won't actually retain the quality of the original video, as YouTube cuts the bit rate significantly.

So I downloaded a video editor called "PowerDirector", which has a really good video encoder. Through PowerDirector, I can easily upscale videos to 4K resolution in MPEG-4 video format, which is a stream-able format. I don't actually do this for the resolution though, I do it to push the bit rate of the video really high. Since the bit rate of a 4K video is really high even if it's just upscaled, YouTube's compression doesn't cut it down noticeably, meaning the quality of the video on YouTube ends up being pretty much the exact same as my raw recording, which in turn looks exactly like the in-game footage on a 1080p TV. So to get the best results from my videos, you should watch it on a 1080p TV/monitor, and set the resolution to 2160p. This is only possible if you have a fast enough internet connection and a powerful enough PC, though. My own laptop cannot play my YouTube videos at 2160p, but it can go up to 1440p, which also looks really nice on my laptop.

The only thing about PowerDirector is that I'm having editing difficulties. The encoding is awesome, but I'm struggling to even make simple edits. So I might try to toy around in Sony Vegas a bit more and see if I can achieve the same video quality there.

hahapwnd09

Smash Rookie
I think what it comes down to is doing something that is fun. There are a lot of "ways" to go about doing youtube, but if it isn't genuine, it can be seen. Doing gimmicks like roleplaying a skyrim character that has a flaw that you must always do, or learning how to be good with Pichu so you can bust him out in tourny are both fun to do, and if done right, fun to watch.

I also like when youtubers or streamers interact with their community. That is a big way to get frequent watchers.

Top Bottom