• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Want D1 to Commentate Top 8

PB&J

Smash Hero
I have recently found out that D1 & Prog will not commentate Top 8 @ Evo but James Chen & Prog. I want Smashers with hype plus prog. I think it will be better.

Please Discuss

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
So, is D1 commentating Top 8 for UMvC3? Seems fair.

I appreciate the intention, I seriously do, but this is potentially the biggest moment in Smash's history. We donated over ninety grand for breast cancer, tens of thousands of people are going to be watching, and the pinnacle of that is going to be marred by some ignorant guy from another community who played in 2003 pretending to know what he's talking about. The community earned this ****, let us run the highlight as the community would.

Toebex

Smash Cadet
******** to that, get Prog and D1 on the mic at all times!

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
I think James + Prog is great. It may not be the most ideal, but it's a suitable substitute. James is also very great at bridging terms for non-smashers to understand. Maybe this weill give us even more new players

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Yes it's true. Hopefully it'll get worked out. If D1 can't get top 8 I'm sure he can commentate when Melee's on the two main streams during pools and semi-finals (Which I've been told will be a lot of time)

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
D1 should commentate, he is great with new players, and he knows alot about other games to bridge between nonsmashers and smashers. I always thought Wobbles and Dogy were all game talk, Prog was more talk of and for the people, and D1 was one to explain to nonsmashers. D1 could easily be better than Mr. Chen, no offense to him, but he would be doing a job that D1 is better at. If it was like, D1 and Dogy, and they took out Dogy because he talked to deep in the game, I could understand. They're taking out the wrong guy for the wrong reason.

PB&J

Smash Hero
D1 should commentate, he is great with new players, and he knows alot about other games to bridge between nonsmashers and smashers. I always thought Wobbles and Dogy were all game talk, Prog was more talk of and for the people, and D1 was one to explain to nonsmashers. D1 could easily be better than Mr. Chen, no offense to him, but he would be doing a job that D1 is better at. If it was like, D1 and Dogy, and they took out Dogy because he talked to deep in the game, I could understand. They're taking out the wrong guy for the wrong reason.
Perfect

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Prog said him and d1 are doing quarters (top 32) and I don't really have a problem with James. He's respectful, he's played the game a lot, he commentates every game in some capacity and has already tweeted d1 saying he'll try his best, the dude was super respectful. Also he recorded melee at Evo in '07 if it was anyone I'm happy it's him. Apparently they want one Evo vet and one game specific commentator for top 8, might make a good combo so I'm willing to give him a chance, especially if half if the viewers aren't smash players. It'll be great regardless.

If you want d1 that's fine but be respectful, don't go spamming them because you don't know anything about Chen and don't trust him cause he's different. Maybe ask wizard to check this thread, though I doubt anything will change.

Tero.

Smash Champion
So, is D1 commentating Top 8 for UMvC3? Seems fair.

I appreciate the intention, I seriously do, but this is potentially the biggest moment in Smash's history. We donated over ninety grand for breast cancer, tens of thousands of people are going to be watching, and the pinnacle of that is going to be marred by some ignorant guy from another community who played in 2003 pretending to know what he's talking about. The community earned this ****, let us run the highlight as the community would.
EVO/MrWizard have been VERY, VERY forthcoming to our community.
They changed all of our pools despite there normally wouldnt be any seeding apart from seeding points.
They changed all rules so we have our APEX standard ruleset, they give us room in the BYOC to bring TVs and play free play.
They let CT/VGBC stream, they gave us good timeslots for finals.

there is NO reason to complain.
also many smashers agreed that it would be just fine to let one of our people commentate with one of the other FG people.

Unless wife is coming. In that case **** this and let prog/wife commentate!

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Hi. So, this was discussed on twitter.

Basically, James Chen will be doing Top 8 with me instead of D1. The staff wants an EVO veteran for top 8, James Chen volunteered. He and I have been discussing things to get him acclimated to the scene, etc., to try and put on a great show.

are you guys sure J. Chen knows about all the advance sick stuff that sick players do all the time??
He doesn't. That's probably a good thing though. This isn't a standard audience for a Smash major, it's a lot wider than what we're used to. Many people who aren't aware of these things. James can bring it up, I can talk about it, etc.

James and I will have a few hours of pools commentary to build a rapport and such.

Also, in case James and I can't build a rapport, D1 is on the reserve.

Guhnasher

Smash Rookie
It would be great to have D1 commentate the Melee top 8 with Prog, but the Evo staff have made their decision. We also need to realize that Melee is at Evo! We should take what we can get, and unless James Chen makes an absolute botch-job of the commentary, which I do not believe he will, we should be grateful.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
While it sucks on paper I bet James Chen will try his absolute best to do a good job. He know a lot about fighting games as a whole and has mad respect for Melee. I doubt it will be an Adam Sessler situation.

D1

Banned via Administration
Thanks for the support guys, me and James have mutual respect for each other. I think he'll actually do a good job. I get to open up the stream w/ Dacidbro from the anime community on Day 1. It's still a great opportunity regardless of whether or not I'm doing top 8. If anything we should be proud of Prog having a great opportunity to represent the smash community in the top 8. He always does a bang up job repping the community already, and I should expect no less from him with James at his side bridging the gap between the smash community and the fgc.

Destruction.

Oohwakamuu

Smash Rookie
Hi. So, this was discussed on twitter.

Basically, James Chen will be doing Top 8 with me instead of D1. The staff wants an EVO veteran for top 8, James Chen volunteered. He and I have been discussing things to get him acclimated to the scene, etc., to try and put on a great show.

He doesn't. That's probably a good thing though. This isn't a standard audience for a Smash major, it's a lot wider than what we're used to. Many people who aren't aware of these things. James can bring it up, I can talk about it, etc.

James and I will have a few hours of pools commentary to build a rapport and such.

Also, in case James and I can't build a rapport, D1 is on the reserve.
To add to this, it would be a very good symbolic gesture of tying both the SRK-ish community with the Smash community in front of the whole world. Let us show the world that we are the fighting game community (I'm using the term as a description not an official name)

Although, in Evo 2010 as late as top 32, they have used three commentators. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgAi-nIQibU I haven't seen three commentators recently, however. Perhaps that could be something you guys can ask the staff about in advance.

Revven

FrankerZ
I think they try to keep things as just a duo now, having three people try to work together on commentary seems and sounds absolutely difficult. No one would probably get much room to breathe lol.

Regardless, there's is no reason to think of this as a bad thing. James Chen is a great guy, a great commentator for every game he's done. He will help in bridging the gap for new viewers, which is something that is crucial for an event like this. And make no mistake, he's not a total scrub, he knows some of the game pretty well; he may not play it at the level some of us do but he understands and knows quite a bit about the game that you wouldn't really expect him to know.

He'll almost assuredly bring hype and point out key moments. It's what he does in SF4 and I have no doubt he'll be doing his best to work that into the commentary in top 8 for SSBM.

As it is, he and UltraDavid have been super supportive of our scene in the last 6 months! I have no idea why you would want to push James Chen away as a commentator for our game. Yes he's "foreign" to it but that doesn't mean he's going in with cold feet, he's going to prep for it and make everybody happy. The mere fact he VOLUNTEERED speaks volumes about his overall excitement for our game at EVO and his confidence in being able to commentate it.

If you haven't seen his work, just go look up EVO finals from last year for SSF4. Or look up his commentary over the Super Turbo Tournament of Legends from last year. (I hear Hyuga really likes that commentary)

This really isn't something to hate and I mean, I like D1 a lotttttt too but the EVO staff has already accommodated us already! We won't get this chance any other time, guys. To show that there is no bad blood between the two communities and that it's all just people who hide behind their computers that hate on Smash. Let him help like he has been doing on UltraChenTV.

Plus, he'll be great. I know he will.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Smashers commentate like ****ing *******. Any tournament with D1 and Prog they try so hard to be funny and don't even share much that is relavent with the game. Instead of making our community look even more like fools, just put commentators that know what they're doing up on a stream that'll probably have more watchers than anything Melee has ever streamed before.

Revven

FrankerZ
Smashers commentate like ****ing *******. Any tournament with D1 and Prog they try so hard to be funny and don't even share much that is relavent with the game.

It's like you haven't watched any recent tournament in the last year.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I think it's a mistake

I mean obviously MrWizard and the evo peeps have been good to us and this isn't the worst thing they could have done but I'm still not happy about it. Smashers should commentate smash. It's gonna be bad casual commentary, and I'll probably have to mute it. James Chen saying things like "Oh he died again!" and Prog explaining what DI is while incredible **** goes down and is ignored.

James Chen seems like a nice guy who likes smash, but that doesn't qualify you to commentate top 8. Let him do pools matches or whatever if he really wants to.

Worse things have happened. But I like commentary.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
He didn't even know the date. I can confirm Wife isn't going

t3h Icy

Smash Master
All James Chen needs is to spend some time watching a couple matches of the top/high tiers to get a basic idea how they work and to understand Smash's unique mechanics and intricacies. From just that, he should have no problem commentating since he can see all the fundamentals going on from his experience with fighting games.

Although I'd still prefer D1 and Prog, I think this is a really cool idea.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
He sort of did a thing, it was this thing where he sat there and had scar explain top level play of a few great matches, and he seemed to already understand a good but of it. Not to mention you can watch Evo '07 videos and hear him get hype cause he was there recording it all for us. And he was at apex. I have full confidence in the dude to not half ass it. I guess we'll have to judge him for ourselves after hearing it cause I'm not are they'll change it at this point.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Holy **** can smash players just stop whining.

D1, kill it as usual man :)

James Chen I like as a commentator, I hope you can build a good rapport with him Prog.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Wife is the ****. He's so unabashedly enthusiastic and joyful when watching, you can't help but get into it with him. And he breaks tactics down to an atomic level so concisely it's great for vets and newbs alike....bah WIFE GO TO EVO!!

luzbwl

Smash Cadet
I WANT SCAR AT SOME POINT IN COMENTARY... I dont care if it's not top 8, tough

Radiowar

Smash Cadet
Smashers should commentate smash. It's gonna be bad casual commentary, and I'll probably have to mute it. James Chen saying things like "Oh he died again!" and Prog explaining what DI is while incredible **** goes down and is ignored.

agreed. solidarity is great, introducing smash to people who are unfamiliar is great - but is that really what you want for top 8 at the biggest melee tournament ever, some kind of educational exercise? i personally got into smash watching videos where i had no idea what the commentators were talking about. it's what made me curious to learn more. evo could be an incredible platform to present melee at its highest form to a massive audience, and commentary shouldn't be an exception.

d1+lovage thats the dream team

Top Bottom