• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I wanna try Project M, but...

UnownLegend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
UnownLegend
I'll be perfectly honest. The only thing holding me back is that I'm afraid I'll like it better than Smash 4 and want to play PM over it.

is that a legit concern or am I being ridiculous?

what are your thoughts on PM vs. SSB4 when that game comes out? Do you think there will be competition between the two like brawl vs. melee? Or will SSB4 be good enough (with the supposedly improved speed and reworked balance) that we wont feel a need to continue using PM?

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
It's very possible that Project M will end up being the better game from a competitive standpoint, simply due to Sakurai's general dislike of competitive play.

However, I don't think that will necessarily diminish any liking of Smash 4 when it releases. Smash 4 will have the benefit of having a lot of brand new content, with new characters, stages, and the like. Even if it doesn't have the competitive aspect as much, it should still be a lot of fun in its own right.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
This is the weirdest reason I've ever heard for not wanting to play a game.

"I want to play a game but...it might be too fun so i don't know if i want to..."

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
As far as I'm concerned, the only things Smash4 has over Project M are Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager. That's not enough to make me really care about what will likely be another Smash disappointment.

Sink your teeth into Project M, you won't be disappointed.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
It's very possible that Project M will end up being the better game from a competitive standpoint, simply due to Sakurai's general dislike of competitive play.
If this is regarding that statement he made to the person that mailed him a letter, I still think that people are taking that out of context.

If not, then correct me and then proceed to disregard this statement.

I'll be perfectly honest. The only thing holding me back is that I'm afraid I'll like it better than Smash 4 and want to play PM over it.

is that a legit concern or am I being ridiculous?

what are your thoughts on PM vs. SSB4 when that game comes out? Do you think there will be competition between the two like brawl vs. melee? Or will SSB4 be good enough (with the supposedly improved speed and reworked balance) that we wont feel a need to continue using PM?
You're being ridiculous. :colorful:

Smash 4 isn't out yet so you should play this and see how much you like it. If you like this more than Smash 4 then that just shows which one you liked more.

My thoughts on the matter. It's going to be competition between Melee, Project M, and SSB4. Brawl players will probably move up to SSB4.

SSB4 won't be good enough to merit not playing Project M, or Melee for that matter. It's impossible unless they bring back everything from those games and improve upon it even further. Because SSB4 is taking a slightly different route, it will have it's own appeals that draw people to it, but it won't have the exact same appeals that draw people to melee/Project M.

Kati

Smash Lord
If you like PM so much that you won't want smash4 (unlikely, but not unheard of), then you will save money! At the very least, you can play PM until smash4 has gone down in price and has established a reputation as being good or bad.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Smash 4 is a smash game so you should buy it no matter what.

Competitive or not.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Here's the deal.

Project M is designed with competitive gameplay in mind. It focuses on creating a cast of intricately-designed characters that are actually balanced and have room to develop in the rich metagame. It is a game that encourages the player to become amazing and kick ass.

Smash 4 is more focused on being a hectic, crazy party game with a ton of nostalgic Nintendo content, pretty graphics, a single-player experience, and all that jazz. It will undoubtedly be better than Brawl and will most likely be a ton of fun, but it is more concerned with being a family-friendly, everyone-on-the-same-level experience, instead of establishing a high skill-ceiling or seeking to create any kind of competitive community.

While both games may be Smash titles, they are in two completely different worlds. They are not competing with each other because they are trying to be completely different things. It's like the difference between the Wii and the Xbox360; both are video game consoles, but they are attempting to create very different gameplay experiences and are targeted towards different audiences. Plus, both consoles have their own unique appeals, and a lot of people are able to own and enjoy both.

I would highly recommend downloading Project M and giving it a try. You won't be "ruined" for Smash 4 or anything like that, since the two games are so different from each other. Plus, Project M is a ton of fun, so you've got nothing to lose and a lot of enjoyment to gain from trying it out.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Project M is legitimately the most fun I've had playing Smash Bros in ages. It's my favorite version to date for both casual and semi-competitive play. The fact that you're not limited in character choices is a blessing.

That being said, I still plan on getting Smash 4. Because even my least favorite Smash Bros game (Brawl) is a fun game to play.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Smash 4 is a smash game so you should buy it no matter what.

Competitive or not.
I definitely wouldn't go that far. I'm not gonna go buy it just to be a blindly dedicated Smash fanboy. That's just silly. Especially if it turns out to be a waste of money. XD

Just go ahead and play Project: M now and give Smash 4 a try when it comes out. And when I say "try", I mean either rent it first or if a friend of yours gets it, play it at their place for awhile first and then after doing that for long enough, which could range from a few hours to a couple of days depending on who you are, decide if it's your cup of tea or not.

Simple as that. It's a logical method that still gives you enjoyment while saving your money.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
So you don't want to play it because you're afraid it will make you not want to give a rich as **** company more money? Sorry, but I don't see how PM invalidating Smash 4 would be a bad thing. That said, I don't think it will. If Sakurai is being truthful when he says he's aiming for a middle ground between Melee and Brawl I can see it being an excellent party game, which is more than can be said about Brawl. So long as Smash 4 is for stupid fun and Project M is for competitive fun they'll both be worth playing depending on your mood.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Hey guys this is a legit concern. It`s the same reason I don`t want to play WOW, I like having a social life lol.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
Let's put this another way.
"I don't want to play this game because it might be EVEN BETTER than a similar game I'm looking forward to"
Well if that's the case you can save time and money playing PM instead of getting SSB4 which you are apparently already anticipating being disappointed by.
The only party that could conceivably lose in this scenario is Nintendo.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I want to try this game but I`m worried that I`ll like it, that`s why I burned every game in my collection except for Castlevania 2, Bubsy 3D, and Sonic 06

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I want to try this game but I`m worried that I`ll like it, that`s why I burned every game in my collection except for Castlevania 2, Bubsy 3D, and Sonic 06

Don't you dare put Simon's Quest on the same level as Bubsy 3D and Sonic '06. It was a great idea marred by hardware limitations, the other two were just buggy messes.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Don't you dare put Simon's Quest on the same level as Bubsy 3D and Sonic '06. It was a great idea marred by hardware limitations, the other two were just buggy messes.
I know but I have more personal reasons for hating it.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Well I needed them to be as to not start a flame war over how terrible of a person I am for hating a specific game.
Fair enough, fair enough. And I'd be lying if I said I thought Simon's Quest was a good game. Personally, having beaten it without a guide I really enjoy it, but it's not a good game in the slightest. Definitely deserving of a remake though, in my opinion.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Fair enough, fair enough. And I'd be lying if I said I thought Simon's Quest was a good game. Personally, having beaten it without a guide I really enjoy it, but it's not a good game in the slightest. Definitely deserving of a remake though, in my opinion.
agreed, a remake could make that game awesome.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I understand where your coming from you should play P:M I have accepted the fact nintendo will never provide me with a competitive smash anymore i'm just gonna play for smash 4 for fun and due to it has better netcode and new characters. P:M will keep your competive side happy smash 4 will be the new one to play with friends kinda sucks it won't please both audiences tho sakurai just doesn't care about people who enjoy competitive smash.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Play both. Done and done. You'll have to use a different controller (or hardware if you're playing on 3DS) anyway so. I was never a believer in sticking with one game. Branch out, level up them fundamentals.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
not gonna lie PM is kinda taking over my activities right now. so I could see not wanting to get into it if your really busy

Ginge

Smash Ace
not gonna lie PM is kinda taking over my activities right now. so I could see not wanting to get into it if your really busy
This right here is the only reason to not get it. It is so good, time will just disappear.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
PM feels so good oooooooooooooooh. You need to pick it up. Now. Don't turn back go now. I'm watching you man. If you don't I'll be upset. Santa sees this kinda behavior.

DiamondDust

Prime Time Player
NNID
MaysTheCraze
Huh. Never heard someone think like this. P:M is great, fantastic even. I can't see myself not playing it even when SSB4 comes out, but at the same time, I don't see myself not playing SSB4 because P:M is a thing. I'm just gonna play both. If they're both fun, more power to me and the rest of us, right?

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Huh. Never heard someone think like this. P:M is great, fantastic even. I can't see myself not playing it even when SSB4 comes out, but at the same time, I don't see myself not playing SSB4 because P:M is a thing. I'm just gonna play both. If they're both fun, more power to me and the rest of us, right?
This play both.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Just give it a shot. There's no harm in trying both.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Just so everyone knows, Smash Bros 4's speed is going to be between Brawl and Melee and Sakurai is making A LOT of changes to balance the characters. So it will appeal to competitve players more than Brawl did. HOWEVER It will not be Melee fast.

In other news, try out Project M if you haven't already. I can guarantee you will have fun with it. It's definitely the party game of the year.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Just so everyone knows, Smash Bros 4's speed is going to be between Brawl and Melee and Sakurai is making A LOT of changes to balance the characters. So it will appeal to competitve players more than Brawl did. HOWEVER It will not be Melee fast.
Coming from the man who called Brawl the ultimate smash experience.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Coming from the man who called Brawl the ultimate smash experience.
WHEN DID I EVEN SAY THAT. I said that Brawl was simply a good game and that I like what it did for the series. But I never called it the best.

However it is my favorite simply cause I'm a semi-casual.

Top Bottom