• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS I think what the 3DS version really needed was more exclusive content

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
Now first off I want to make it clear that I love Smash 3DS and I love that it's portable. I definitely will keep on playing it even after the Wii U version comes out.

But let's face it, the Wii U version blows the 3DS one out of the water. It's not the 3DS's fault though. I know for a fact that Sakurai and Namco tried to squeeze as much as they could into that tiny cartridge (and it's really impressive just how much they were able to squeeze in), but in the end the 3DS version is pretty much a watered down port of the Wii U, with the huge plus being that it's portable. When I mean watered down, I don't mean the quality is lower, not at all. I'm just saying that the 3DS is essentially a "simpler" version of the Wii U, or how people here like to call it: A "$40 demo" or "appetizer".

The 3DS version has its uses: It's portable, easier to pick up and play, etc. But honestly, if you're at home with the Wii U connected to the TV, then there is absolutely no reason to play the 3DS version. Why? It's simply because the 3DS version only has a handful of what the Wii U version has, while the Wii U version has (almost) everything the 3DS version has, but times twenty. Outside of Smash Run, the 3DS version simply contains watered down ports of select modes from the Wii U version. Even the gameplay of those modes are watered down, just look at Classic Mode: The Wii U version lets you move around anywhere on the board, but the 3DS limits you to 3 certain paths. Then there's Target Blast, where the 3DS only has single player while the Wii U has multiplayer, not to mention a bigger bomb in the second round. These are just a few examples, but it gets my point across. The only mode that works functionally the same as the Wii U version and is not watered down is the Online mode.

I know what you're saying: "Of course the modes from the Wii U version are going to be watered down, it's a handheld for crying out loud!". Now look, the issue I have with the 3DS version is not that I want better ports or more modes from the Wii U version. I want completely original modes that have zero association with the Wii U version, and have it be exclusive for the 3DS. What point is there to make the 3DS version try so hard to be the Wii U version when the hardware simply can't handle it? Instead of borrowing a mode from the Wii U version and watering it down, why not just make a completely new mode from scratch, one that the 3DS is capable of running smoothly?

And next you're saying: "What about Smash Run? And the exclusive stages and trophies?". Well, that's simply not enough. Smash Run seemed like a step in the right direction, but with Smash Tour popping up in the Wii U version and the previews claiming that Smash Tour has more fun and value than Smash Run, it's just going to look inferior. I wouldn't be bothered by this if the stat boosts that Smash Tour and Smash Run use were completely exclusive to Smash Run (like we initially thought), but seeing that Smash Tour is borrowing them, the Wii U outshines the 3DS yet again. And then we have the stages, half of which are just reused from past games. Come on Sakurai, really? Trophies are also not that important unless you're a completionist, and you can do more stuff with trophies in the Wii U version anyway.

So yeah, like I said, all the 3DS version needed was 100% original content not found in the Wii U version. A new Adventure Mode exclusively on 3DS in place of Classic Mode would have been amazing. Or heck, why not just make single player something like Kirby Superstar where you have several different story modes and minigames to play through? Maybe character customization can be a 3DS exclusive thing, while stage builder is exclusive to Wii U, and if you link the 3DS and Wii U you get the best of both worlds (certainly would make better use of that Wii U link feature than just an extra controller, lol). What other ideas do you guys have?

helado caducado

Smash Rookie
NNID
khmaster
3DS FC
3265-5104-9952
nintendo should add more trophies and modes in the 3ds version with patches

DatSmasher

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0903-2784-5063
I think most of the stages on 3DS are 3DS-exclusive, or just share a name with a different stage. Aside from that, I do see your point here. Imo they did as much as they could to put lots of content on the 3DS version, but they made a mistake when they used the same content on the Wii U version.

The reason they did this is probably so poeple wouldn't say things like 'The 3DS version is inferior, it doesn't have Classic mode!'. They hoped to fix this by just putting everything on the Wii U version they could, and making the versions as close to eachother as possible.

The mayor thing is that this will make it so that the game gets 0 support after the launch of the Wii U version. Tbh I don't think they were even looking for that, I think they released the 3DS version first for a reason. THE NEW SMASH IS OUT OMFGSDFR will make more poeple hype than A WATERED DOWN VERSION OF A GAME THAT RELEASED 2 MONTHS AGO IS OUT!!!

So yeah, they just should've made two different games with the same mechanics

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
Doesn't the 3DS version size is about 9,000 blocks at the moment, and the box says 17,000 blocks? I think there would be exclusive modes in the making, but I fear it would be DLC *shudders*.

DatSmasher

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0903-2784-5063
DLC modes, naah. I don't know anyone who would buy extra modes. Extra characters or stages would be a different story.

Though, I do think it could be pretty sweet if they made DLC stages exclusive for 3DS and stages for Wii U. That could boost 3DS viability after the release of the Wii U version

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
I think the Wii U exclusive mode is disappointing, I was expecting something like the SSE from brawl without cutscenes and you go to various Nintendo, Namco, Capcom, and Sega worlds!
The best thing the Wii U version exclusively got that I am hyped for is Palutena's guidance... This game is not going to have the replayabilty that brawl had.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Doesn't the 3DS version size is about 9,000 blocks at the moment, and the box says 17,000 blocks? I think there would be exclusive modes in the making, but I fear it would be DLC *shudders*.
Not a chance. It would be suicide for Nintendo to sink that low. DLC characters and stages are pretty much the norm, but when you start getting into modes, that just makes people think you've sold them an incomplete game and now they're being charged extra for what should have been in it in the first place. This would be further exacerbated by the fact that the Wii U version has so much more to offer. So people would feel like they're being double charged for needing two copies of the game for some things, ripped off for the 3DS lacking stuff for no legitimate reason, and then triple charged for having to buy it as a DLC. Nintendo isn't that dumb.

If there are ever more modes to come in the future (which I highly doubt) it would only make sense to release it via a free patch.

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
"that just makes people think you've sold them an incomplete game and now they're being charged extra for what should have been in it in the first place."
This is only a problem if the content in question was made during the development time of the original game and originally apart of the game. Ubisoft loves to pull this, though that is a discussion for another day.

There is nothing wrong with making new game modes or whatever the developer's heart so desires down the line. They put effort and time into it, then they have the right to charge.

I get what you're trying to say, but some of your points are just really nonsensical.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
@ Cyre Cyre , to be honest your whole comment was pretty vapid.

But it's worth noting that it doesn't matter what you think about the issue, it matters what the general fanbase thinks about it. And it's pretty safe to say it wouldn't be an easy pill for the community to swallow. Especially if some of the reaction to "needing" both copies of the game to get the otherwise free Mewtwo DLC is any indication.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
But let's face it, the Wii U version blows the 3DS one out of the water.
I faced it a long time ago before we knew 60+ facts.

What's up with all of the "3ds worthless compared to Wii U" threads lately? The team worked on two versions. There was no way we were going to get a super meaty Smash on 3ds unless you wanted it in 2015, which was not going to happen.

Smash Wii U was always going to be the better version the moment they announced the games at E3. I guess the point of this thread was not to compare, but the 3ds version as it is, should have had more content.

I'm not truly bothered because Wii U will be my main anyways. I mainly have Smash 3ds just to Smash.

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
I think they could've used the 3ds as a testing ground of sort 3ds can get some upcoming content first, something I find really off-putting was the dates are so close together. Almost does feel like a demo that.

Last edited:

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
Smash Wii U was always going to be the better version the moment they announced the games at E3. I guess the point of this thread was not to compare, but the 3ds version as it is, should have had more content.
The 3DS version didn't need more content, it needed exclusive content. It's understandable that the 3DS won't meet the standards of the Wii U version, which is why it would have been better if they avoided copying the Wii U version completely. If there is space for only, say, 4 types of game modes on 3DS, then so be it. But they better be exclusive modes and not just ports from the Wii U version, is my point.

EDIT: To avoid confusion, I added "exclusive" to the title to make my point more clear.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
The 3DS version didn't need more content, it needed exclusive content. It's understandable that the 3DS won't meet the standards of the Wii U version, which is why it would have been better if they avoided copying the Wii U version completely. If there is space for only, say, 4 types of game modes on 3DS, then so be it. But they better be exclusive modes and not just ports from the Wii U version, is my point.

EDIT: To avoid confusion, I added "exclusive" to the title to make my point more clear.
I wouldn't call them "ports" of the Wii U version. They're modes that you would expect to be in any Smash.

Smash Run is kinda rich. It's just too bad there's no online mode for it. I wouldn't know what else you'd want to add to Smash 3ds; a sticker mode? From the looks of it, do you realize we'll never play all those varieties of enemies found in Smash Run on Wii U?

As amazing as Smash for Wii U is, I'll never get certain stages, outfits, etc that I want, either. The idea is to not go into Smash 3ds expecting too much.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I really, REALLY disagree with Smash Tour looking better than Smash Run. In my opinion, I think Smash 3DS has enough content. I probably won't even use like half of Smash U's content.

Forever 9

Smash Cadet
NNID
ForeverNin9
3DS FC
3626-0399-4225
The thing I would love more than anything would be DLC characters... I'm willing to throw my money at you Nintendo, just take it!

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
I wouldn't call them "ports" of the Wii U version. They're modes that you would expect to be in any Smash.

Smash Run is kinda rich. It's just too bad there's no online mode for it. I wouldn't know what else you'd want to add to Smash 3ds; a sticker mode? From the looks of it, do you realize we'll never play all those varieties of enemies found in Smash Run on Wii U?

As amazing as Smash for Wii U is, I'll never get certain stages, outfits, etc that I want, either. The idea is to not go into Smash 3ds expecting too much.
Smash 3DS is still great in its own right, but don't you agree that the game would be much more special if it had more exclusive content? Not just exclusive stages, outfits, and trophies, but also game modes not found in the Wii U version? I understand when you say that the modes in the 3DS version are expected in any installment Smash, but I still think that an exclusive Adventure mode for 3DS (which had been present in past installments but is not in Smash Wii U or 3DS) instead of Classic Mode would have made the game much more unique than it is now. The idea isn't to add more modes (the 3DS has limited space), it's to replace modes that already exist in the Wii U version with completely original modes only for the 3DS. Like I said, an adventure mode is something that I'd like the 3DS version to have, and perhaps target blast could be a 3DS exclusive while the regular break the targets could be for the Wii U version. Those are a few ideas, but I just wish the 3DS version had more exclusive fun modes so it could stand out.

Smash Run is actually pretty unique the more that I think more about it, but on its own, it's not enough to make the 3DS version stand out, at least in my opinion. I still think the only benefit of playing the 3DS version is that it's portable, which is awesome don't get me wrong, but the game was totally able to be more unique than it is now. It's a little sad, because people who are only able to get the 3DS and not the Wii U will feel left out. But I will admit that the 3DS version is cheaper, so that gives it somewhat of a reason to have less nonexclusive content.

I'm not hating on the 3DS version btw, I'm simply offering a critique on what can make the game better. Like I said, I still love Smash 3DS and I will keep on playing it even after the Wii U version is released because it's portable. I guess I wanted to bring this topic up because sometime ago while Smash 4 was in development, Sakurai himself feared that the 3DS version would be inferior to the Wii U version. He could have avoided this if he simply gave the 3DS version more exclusive content outside of smash run, stages, outfits, and trophies.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
*neutered*
If it were the only Smash available, I'd be upset that there weren't extras. Since I know the team is working hard on two versions, with the preferred console version already being better, I'm not all that bothered by it. As great as some of the modes are in the Wii U version, Smash Tour I'll probably play as much as Smash Run anyways.

Photo Studio and all that other good stuff I'd rather spend my time on the best playable and best looking version. Smash Wii U is gorgeous and as much as I am a completionist, I'd rather put all that time into the best game.

Yes, it sucks for people who are only playing Smash on 3ds, but I can't call those people true Smash fans if they aren't getting the Wii U version.

As a whole, yes it could use extra exclusive modes. In the end, it barely effects me at all. I hear you.

Last edited:

Soul.

If it were the only Smash available, I'd be upset that there weren't extras. Since I know the team is working hard on two versions, with the preferred console version already being better, I'm not all that bothered by it. As great as some of the modes are in the Wii U version, Smash Tour I'll probably play as much as Smash Run anyways.

Photo Studio and all that other good stuff I'd rather spend my time on the best playable and best looking version. Smash Wii U is gorgeous and as much as I am a completionist, I'd rather put all that time into the best game.

Yes, it sucks for people who are only playing Smash on 3ds, but I can't call those people true Smash fans if they aren't getting the Wii U version.

As a whole, yes it could use extra exclusive modes. In the end, it barely effects me at all. I hear you.
So if I don't want to get the Wii U version that doesn't make me a true Smash fan, even though I'm not interested in the console at all. Some people just want to play the 3DS version. I don't know what would I do on Wii U.
I was a lot more interested on the 3DS version; the lack of features doesn't bother me at all when I'm just going to play online. Same goes for Wii U if I ever got it, which I doubt.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
So if I don't want to get the Wii U version that doesn't make me a true Smash fan, even though I'm not interested in the console at all.
Cool that you agree.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
You have the resources to spend 200+ dollars on a new console and a new game, and if other people don't have those resources for any reason, they're not "true" Smash fans? You acknowledge that the 3DS version deserves more content, but since you can afford to spend the money on Smash U, you don't care that other people are forced to live with what you consider to be an inferior, underdeveloped game?

Seriously, don't be jerk.

As for Smash 3DS content, I'm not sure if exclusives are really necessary, but some more options online and a ladder system would be nice.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
So if I don't want to get the Wii U version that doesn't make me a true Smash fan, even though I'm not interested in the console at all. Some people just want to play the 3DS version. I don't know what would I do on Wii U.
I was a lot more interested on the 3DS version; the lack of features doesn't bother me at all when I'm just going to play online. Same goes for Wii U if I ever got it, which I doubt.
Then you shouldn't be playing Smash if you're not interested in the tons of amazing games the Wii U has.

Spirst

Then you shouldn't be playing Smash if you're not interested in the tons of amazing games the Wii U has.
What does this have to do with anything? This is about Smash, not other Wii U games. If he doesn't see the overall point of a Wii U, then that's that. Doesn't detract from whether he should play Smash or not. It's silly to make a statement like that.

Last edited:

Enigma14

Smash Champion
To anyone who told me that you could select what to do and change the times for Smash Run; you were wrong and I hope that this is rectified for future installments if this Air Ride mode comes back.

Honestly if they wanted to make a successful portable version, they should have got cut Smash Run and put a story mode instead. THEN they should have made it so that there was an international release instead of just releasing the game in Japan first. The story is exclusive to the portable version and all the other fun stuff that can handle the game is on the better version.

Why a story mode? Why not add more modes and stuff?

1. The portable version is a single player experience. sure you could play with a friend on the console one but we all progress at our own pace and do we really want to play with another person who might be there or not?

2. With the loss of Smash Run, you get to have the other (fighting) modes back.

3. This one is a stretch. The stage prop elements of Smash Run suggest a story that could have been there.

Soul.

Cool that you agree.
What am I "agreeing", lmao. If I don't want to get a Wii U, I don't. You thought something like the Direct could change my decision on getting one? No. More features doesn't make me want to get one. Prettier graphics doesn't make me want to get one. HD and bigger resolution doesn't make me want to get one.
What's wrong with not being interested on a Wii U. Is it the miracle we have been waiting for? Because I don't think so.
The game is going to have its flaws.

So uh. No Wii U = no Smash even though I can play it on the 3DS. Okay, I suppose.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
What am I "agreeing", lmao. If I don't want to get a Wii U, I don't. You thought something like the Direct could change my decision on getting one? No. More features doesn't make me want to get one. Prettier graphics doesn't make me want to get one. HD and bigger resolution doesn't make me want to get one.
What's wrong with not being interested on a Wii U. Is it the miracle we have been waiting for? Because I don't think so.
The game is going to have its flaws.

So uh. No Wii U = no Smash even though I can play it on the 3DS. Okay, I suppose.
Not interested in Nintendo games? Why are you playing a game dedicated specifically to Kid Icarus Nintendo fans?

D

Deleted member

Some people prefer the 3DS version even if it lacks in the content department. Oh yeah, I agree with what Spirst said.

Soul.

Not interested in Nintendo games? Why are you playing a game dedicated specifically to Kid Icarus Nintendo fans?
What does Kid Icarus have to do with this lol.
I said I'm not interested on the Wii U, the console. Why you think I'm not interested on Nintendo games is beyond me.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
You have the resources to spend 200+ dollars on a new console and a new game, and if other people don't have those resources for any reason, they're not "true" Smash fans? You acknowledge that the 3DS version deserves more content, but since you can afford to spend the money on Smash U, you don't care that other people are forced to live with what you consider to be an inferior, underdeveloped game?

Seriously, don't be jerk.

As for Smash 3DS content, I'm not sure if exclusives are really necessary, but some more options online and a ladder system would be nice.
Would be nice, but Wii U was always going to be the superior version. I'd expect it to be common gamer knowledge to understand that the console version would be getting more care, developed by the same team. People upgrade their smart phone they don't need to which cost more than a Wii U.

Would you buy a console for Smash? Did you only buy Smash because it was on the console you owned? It's fine to not want to spend money on such things, but why wouldn't anyone want the best version.

Top Bottom