• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think we need a Casual Vs. Competive Forum

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
I'm so tired of seeing these threads. General Brawl discussion should be for talking about controller set ups, characters, stages, how the game feels etc. Casual vs. Competive needs it's own debating forum. These boards aren't fun anymore with these same topics every single day. Does anyone like this game?

otter

Smash Ace
we should also have a items vs non items forum!
and a tier making for games that aren't out forum!

actually, we should just have one forum and call it "let's talk about nothing useful at all"

Saigo

Smash Rookie
Uh, that wouldn't be a good idea, since its pretty much SWF saying "Hey elitists, wanna flame people who play differently than you? Come to this forum here!" I don't think the site should encourage fighting amongst its users.

Rather, I think that any posts or threads baiting casuals or competitives should be deleted and the poster dealt with. Maybe a 3 strikes and your out policy? Cause trouble 3 times and BANINATION happens?

I agree though that these flamewars should cease here. Leave these stupid debates to other forums like Gamefaqs.

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
I don't think a separate forums is inviting anyone to flame though. I think we need a forum because there are some good topics that get bumped to the next page because of these debates. I've been to message boards where there are forums for religious and political debates.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
So which one should SWF be? And who is willing to really put in the time and effort to make it work like the boards here? Not to mention building up popularity and whatever would be required to keep the two separate? There already are other smash boards out there, but clearly nothing good enough. The idea is good, but execution is quite a large task, and depends on things outside the control of whoever does put in the effort. So in a perfect world, yup, but here good luck if your willing to try.

-True

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
How about if we just delete/lock all the threads about cas vs. comp and leave it at that so those *****-*** *** pieces of **** can stop ****ing ruining the board with their stupid anti-Advanced Tech bull**** and can go **** off.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Every forum on SWF eventually turns into a casual vs competitive forum. It's as inevitable as religious factions fighting over the same god.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
Every forum on SWF eventually turns into a casual vs competitive forum. It's as inevitable as religious factions fighting over the same god.
No, I tell you, it wasn't nearly as bad as it is now. Before I remember some threads in the Melee forum, like the one where Dylan said he wouldn't play Brawl if it didn't have WDing, as well as other threads where people thought they saw WDing confirmed to some degree. The forums moved MUCH more slowly than they do now, newbies tended to not make their own topics devoted to the whole thing, it was somewhat annoying, but still manageable, as it was generally only one or two newbies and they stuck to the topic at hand.

Now, though, the whole thing is just insane. Brawl is getting closer to coming out and thus we an inundated with new posters. WDing and Lcanceling being removed also has created a trend of (somewhat) more useful debate topics as to if/how this will affect Brawl's metagame in the long term, which then tend to get sidetracked by the newbies who post saying "HAI GAIS WHY ARE YOU ARGUING ABOUT THIS GLITCHES SUCK", which then encourages other newbies to post more useless topics on the subject because they never learned how to lurk... I mean, jeez, if you let this sort of thing go on for too long it's not a forum anymore, it's a spam fest. If it doesn't quiet down soon we will need to do *something* to stem the tide until things can return to normal.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
SWF has just exploded with new members. I mean, they had to shut the whole thing down for a while because the server couldn't handle it.

Shuma

Smash Hero
What this Alex dude said. If i was a mod i would put a sticky on the page saying "if you make X thread you get a 2 week suspension". Then do it. This pointless Casual V.S Pro/Competitive threads are incredibly annoying.

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
What this Alex dude said. If i was a mod i would put a sticky on the page saying "if you make X thread you get a 2 week suspension". Then do it. This pointless Casual V.S Pro/Competitive threads are incredibly annoying.
I completely agree.

Ghettoman

Smash Apprentice
But deleting those threads would be imposing on our freedom of speech, correct? this is the general discussion forum, if people dont want to talk about it, then dont respond.

Foe

Smash Journeyman
But deleting those threads would be imposing on our freedom of speech, correct? this is the general discussion forum, if people dont want to talk about it, then dont respond.
I don't think we get freedom of speech. Well, we do to an extent but there is a reason there are mods and we get warnings and such. You can't say racist things just like you can't flame like crazy.

Yukichu

Smash Apprentice
I completely agree with the new forum idea. I'm so sick of wavedash and L-cancel topics.

Ghettoman

Smash Apprentice
I don't think we get freedom of speech. Well, we do to an extent but there is a reason there are mods and we get warnings and such. You can't say racist things just like you can't flame like crazy.
Yes, but doesn't this competitive vs casual thing kind of sound like a form of racism. (not racism, more like discrimination)?

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
LOL, a new forum for such a thing?

Why not just make a flaming forum while you're at it? It's not like it's going to get anywhere else. Sure there'll be some arguments in the first five posts but then it'll degrade to the usual flaming that it normally goes to in every other casual v. competitive.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Unfortunately, you can't delete a person's message just because they're an idiot. :laugh:

So stupid threads will continue to pop up, and stupid people will continue to get flamed to hell. It's a vicious cycle.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
This Casual vs Competitive feud is really in the hands of the mods.
If all posters who disparage others for how they play the game were given points or even banned outright and their threads deleted, this problem would be solved.
I know this sounds like a draconian solution, but something really needs to be done about this.
When Brawl actually comes out, there will probably be EVEN MOAR people flooding into Smash Boards and fueling these pointless flamewars with their anti-competitive mentality and lack of understanding about competitive Smash or why we even choose to play competitively.

EDIT: MOAR was misspelled intentionally. A habit I adopted from that repulsive yet irresistible place called 4chan.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Or you could just ignore the idiots.

Hey, is anyone listening to me?

:laugh:
It would be easy to ignore them if these types of threads didn't cover the front page at all times. And furthermore, Casual vs Competitive arguments find their way into almost any discussion on anything Brawl related. So it's something you find in like every other thread.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
If you ignore the idiots, they will continue to create stupid threads. Once they get flamed to hell, they stop creating the stupid threads. I like to call it "tough love". :laugh:

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
The "Brawl isn't gonna be good" clique falls into this as well. I think a stickied "BAAWWWl" thread would be helpful; the people who have problems can post there, and the mods could start locking threads dealing with whining and complaining outside of the original.

Top Bottom