• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I See All" - Palutena Video Thread

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
That spike on Denti in the loser's semifinals, last match, was insane! And, that last stock was so close; I didn't think Diddy's u-air would kill there.

Anyways, really good matches man.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Oh well, one "bad" performance out of ~30? Pretty good I'd say :)

Btw Aerolink, maybe random question... if you were to practice a bit of Diddy and play in the next Shockwave, do you think you would be able to beat Denti (or at least be very very close in a Bo5 Grand finals like a couple months ago when you went diddy against him)?

Last edited:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Oh well, one "bad" performance out of ~30? Pretty good I'd say :)

Btw Aerolink, maybe random question... if you were to practice a bit of Diddy and play in the next Shockwave, do you think you would be able to beat Denti (or at least be very very close in a Bo5 Grand finals like a couple months ago when you went diddy against him)?
Probably, but I've stopped playing him, tbh. I've been focused on Palutena with customs, and I just pulled him out the last game because I wasn't feeling it. I don't want to lose the consistency I've been having, so I take this is as a flop for me. I'll come back strong for next time.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Probably, but I've stopped playing him, tbh. I've been focused on Palutena with customs, and I just pulled him out the last game because I wasn't feeling it. I don't want to lose the consistency I've been having, so I take this is as a flop for me. I'll come back strong for next time.
Ok, was just curious how much stronger/easier you felt Diddy was and how much that may have been influencing Denti's performance compared to yours playing what would be commonly agreed upon on as a mid or low tier. I love to compare power levels X)

Hype for the patch!

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Also you could really push your stage control advantage. You're faster than kirby movement wise, so try to think of "kiting him". Play safe, and use the full length of the stage as your "safety". Think this: as long as you stay safe, if he's trying to approach you then you have multiple chances to punish/hit him while using the full length of the stage. If you are overly aggressive (that is, try to approach him but it doesn't work out) then you would "lose" this advantage/possibility of punishing him. This is huge I think. Many players don't understand how important this really is. If you can be patient, calm, and truly understand this concept, then this alone can be what allows in you defeating your opponent, who will be frustrated and impatient and confused as to what hes doing wrong (as he's used to just fighting you straight up and not playing a smarter game).
I've seen the term "kiting" around this community but did not find it in the Smash Dictionary. What exactly is this?

Here's an example: 1:30

This ties back into why it's so important not to overdo smash attacks. You have 90% stage control and he's cornered, but because you decided to go for a fsmash you completely lost stage control and lost the potential you could have done with it, all for the tiny chance you would get a good 16% (only 4 % more than something safer, like a short hop retreating back air).
Yeah, at 1:25, I felt I had a good read on his rolling, and anticipating that roll to the right toward me, I felt the f-smash was pretty much guaranteed, but of course we see that's not the case. I underestimated how fast Kirby could spot dodge immediately after his roll. You're right, I could have used something less powerful but much safer. Maybe even a down tilt?

Also, yes, that Aerolink video you showed is definitely good for learning a lot of what you were talking about.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I've seen the term "kiting" around this community but did not find it in the Smash Dictionary. What exactly is this?

Yeah, at 1:25, I felt I had a good read on his rolling, and anticipating that roll to the right toward me, I felt the f-smash was pretty much guaranteed, but of course we see that's not the case. I underestimated how fast Kirby could spot dodge immediately after his roll. You're right, I could have used something less powerful but much safer. Maybe even a down tilt?

Also, yes, that Aerolink video you showed is definitely good for learning a lot of what you were talking about.
Oops my bad, it's not really a FG term, but it's used in RTSs and RPGs and such. Basically the concept is that your enemy is coming towards you and you reduce your vulnerability while having chances to deal damage. So in this situation it would mean throwing out a fair for example but retreating right after it and throwing out moves that would hit him if he makes the wrong approach, but without really committing yourself to any risks or openings. This forces the opponent to either risk something to gain stage control, or to play very very slowly and patiently in walking closer while you're kiting / moving back in order to "push" you away from center stage and maybe to the other corner.

Making a move that you feel very confident will be a successful read is good, but just keep in mind to also consider whether the risk is fine with you. Personally I feel that until mid-high level it is better to just play it safe and solid, especially because the fsmash would not have killed him anyway. But it's understandable that you chose to try it but missed only because you came a bit short in the timing.

A dtilt could work, but I would prefer to just jab1. If your opponent's back is facing you, jab is always safe. He can't grab you without turning around, and if he spot dodges you can go into jab2. Another choice is to short hop, and if you see the roll you can DI backwards and fair him safely.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Just messing around with 2322. Not particularly doing my best but
I just chose this one to upload cuz of some good mileage of Lightweight/Jump Glide/Super Speed.

Comments/Critics are more than welcome!

Last edited:

Rran

Smash Apprentice
That just may've been my favorite match involving Palutena lol. You really put all of her moves to use!

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
That just may've been my favorite match involving Palutena lol. You really put all of her moves to use!
^^;; thanks! But have you seen Aerolink using 1322? I guarantee all his matches will be more favorable to you than my mere casual play! :3

Oh he uploaded another one for me!

2322 I played a bit better on this one cuz Peach is so slow and easier to deal with

Oh and another one:

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
AEROLINK!!!

My Diddy Kong is dead -- HE'S GONE!
But he's here, on my back!...
...And *here*, in my heart.

He lives on INSIDE OF ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT's
TENGEN TOPPA
THAT's

GURREEENNN LAGANNN!!!

My drill... is the drill that will PIERCE THE HEAVENS!

Gigaaa.... durrrRRRIIIRRRruuuu... BUUUREEEAAAKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations to the first ever Palutena champion at a regional tournament!

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Cool, I was curious was all.

No one's won a regional tourny with her before with or without customs ^^
That's awesome that Aerolink's Palutena achieved this success. I know I don't post on the forums much, and I haven't really narrowed down my main yet, but Palutena's definitely one of my favorite characters. So I love seeing you guys develop her and reveal her true potential.

Rran

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, just watched the latest Shockwave matches--Aerolink was mucho impressive!

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Obviously not as good as Aerolink, but I'm working on it!

Critics, advice welcome please!

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
utter domination

will have to catch up on games, but you were all over bwett in that last game on duck hunt. I mean, 131% before taking damage? Damn. And that was some of the sickest spacing, reading, baiting, and setups I've seen T_T <3

Also RIP Denti

Last edited:

Flow Rats

Smash Rookie
It's been a while since someone added a bunch of default Palutena tournament videos so heres a few of mine, if anyone has any advice for me it would be much appreciated as I only started playing smash 4 seriously recently (though I have been in the melee scene for about a year).

vs Pyren (Dark Pit/Shulk) - Winners Side - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9KMaryr4oM

vs Ghostbone (C. Falcon) - Winners Quarters - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeNgrbeVTOo

vs Ivan (ZSS) - Winners Semis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f99GJj-3Dx0

vs Nikes (Yoshi) - Winners Finals - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLTqHxZTqNs

vs Oli (Mario) - Losers Finals - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz7XzBFDFIs

I got completely bodied by Oli so I wouldn't bother watching that if your only watching for Palutena.

Last edited:

Rran

Smash Apprentice
Ooh I like the fights w/ Bwett--was this the first time he made it to the finals??

Rran

Smash Apprentice
Damn, AeroLink is just ruining people at Shockwave lol. Good fights against Larry (never heard of him, but apparently he's a big deal??)

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
Damn, AeroLink is just ruining people at Shockwave lol. Good fights against Larry (never heard of him, but apparently he's a big deal??)
I faced him once on For Glory when he was using Fox and Falco. I was a complete scrub though.

Just for using Falco, though, I was kind of rooting for him at DBA4.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Something I think you Palus would like, especially if you have trouble against Olimar.
Keep in mind this is all default.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Well after watching that first match, I'm now convinced.

Shame your scene doesn't enjoy customs, but at least they're pushing 3 stock 8 minutes. As far as I understand the community is split when it comes to customs. Some scenes favor them, others hate them. Thanks to KIDGoggles, my college scene (Rochester) loves them, but I'm going back home to Florida and I don't know the consensus there. Hopefully they push customs.

Top Bottom