• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need Toon Link Help

Jako Tako

Smash Rookie
TL is one character i would love to be able to play with, but i am horrible at him (and pretty much every other char). I was wondering if youll could help me with a few things since even reading a bunch of guides didnt work.

List

1. How to get combos off as toon link because i always seem to get hit first and never a chance to hit back and what good combos are and when to use

2. How to not make my grabs fail it always seems that i miss because someone rolls or something

3. How to make good use of projectiles since i can never make them hit such as the arrows they always miss the only one i can sort of use is the boomerrang and thats not hard the bombs though would be the hardest for me i always miss or damage myself in the process

4. How to finish people i am fighting i always seem to get them to decent damage %( such as today when i got 400 damage given and only took 211% but some how lost) but can never capitalize which sucks because I obviously always lose

5. How to avoid getting KOed by using good defensive methods ( i really just want to know how to play good D as link seeing as i always end of just blindly rolling around to avoid attacks which usually does more hurt than good.

6. Why it is bad to spam Dair, im wondering this because at the moment this is my only way i can get good damage seeing as i can never land any good attacks (which i hope youll can help me with)

7. The best ways to fight off the edge with toon link (edge guarding)

8.when to use what moves where since i always seem to find my self trying to figure out which one to use i never know for example which to use ftilt or neutral, or in the air whether to use neutral or any other one

9. Anything else that i missed that youll can think thats helpful seeing as im as bad as i am any tutorial videos or guides you think i might have missed covering alot of these issues is welcomed also

Thanks SO MUCH in advance

JBOMB

Smash Rookie
My advice is to just keep playing with him an familiarize yourself with his attacks. Be sure to know what situations certain moves are good and bad at. The most crucial thing to be able to do with TL is comboing. You really need to know his moves well because most combos are situational or spontainius.

zifn15

Smash Cadet
All of TL's aerials are really good. That goes double for the bair. Arrows and boomerang are something you need to figure out yourself. Also the dair was tremendous lag when it hits the ground and it is easy to counter. While the dair can out prioritize some attacks all someone needs to do to punish you hard is to sidestep dodge (this is not to hard to to the predictability of it). TL's kill moves include utilt, fsmash (2nd hit), usmash, uair, nair, fair, bair, and dsmash (this is open to debate). Bair is the best move to combo with. Don't blindly roll. Learn the ebb and flow of battle (when to go in and when to go back).

NeptunerAV

Smash Cadet
Challenge yourself to not use dairs for the next three days while maining TLink.

You're gonna see a huge improvement in your game. I hope.

Bairs > Dairs

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
Challenge yourself to not use dairs for the next three days while maining TLink.

You're gonna see a huge improvement in your game. I hope.

Bairs > Dairs
seconded.

Here are a few sections that you might spend a couple of days on. (not in any order, but divided)

A. Ledges / recovery and DI.

B. Shorthops and Ariels.

C. projectiles and "campyness".

D. defense and evasion (including OOS, rolldodging and etc).

C. Smashes and tilts.

D. Grabs & what comes after.

*-* pm me your friendcode and take mine from my profile and i'll be glad to help you out online, even though i'm still learning as well *-*

Omega_Knight

Smash Cadet
Yea. Play some matches without Dair. I did this and I noticed that I lasted longer in the fight and I was hit A LOT less. If you rely on Dair better players are easily going to predict it and punish you everytime.

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
1: There really are no defenitive combos, but some that usually work are Down throws into b-airs or up-tilt/smashes. if you can learn to RAR or b-stick and auto-RAR, then approching with a double-b-air is decent for starting an offense. I tend to spam projectiles and counter their approch with a neutral air or w/e.

2: Grabs can be tough. It takes perfect timing to get them to latch against an experianced player. Depending on their character, find the moves that have the most lag when they miss and take advantage. His down throw leads into the most things when you do get a grab.

3: Your projectiles are going to miss a lot. Just keep spamming them as long as they are a decent distance away. the SHDA is a good projectile spamming defense, learning that would be a good idea once you get a better feel for the character. With bombs, they arn't going to hit a lot. I find their most purposeful as items to distract the opponent and keep the pressure on. When starting out, you're going to be hitting yourself quite often, I still do. Good news is that it hurts them a lot more than it does you! That's another thing that comes with time. Same thing with the boomerang. It's a great diversion, but its also a good weapon once you get the feel for the startup lag and can control it pretty well.

4: Finishers usually depend on the situation. But reliable ones are all of his smashes, f-air can kill at higher percents, up tilt has some decent power behind it, and I dunno about you, but since I never you my u-air, it always seems to kill when the chance arises. Oh, and if you hit with the very last strike of his B-Up, thats got some good knockback as well. Of coarse, I wouldn't use it unless its for the kill as people can escape it and if it doesnt kill them your vanurable on the way back down.

5: Defensive methods really is a broad subject. First off, spacing. You've got a sword and a healthy supply of projectiles. Depending on who your playing, it's important to be able to get just close enough to get your attacks in, but far enough that they cant hit your, or be able to get out of their hit range quick enough for you to get back in and punish the lag. You can't take a lot of damage if you're out of reach. Second would be to be able to predict your opponents. If they always do the same things in a certain order, learn them, and take measures to throw it off and punish them! If your the kind that always rolls in the same ways everytime, mix it up and try learning to spot dodge. It's a life saving technique that really messes up people who are used to you rolling about. Also, air dodging is a big part of the game now. You have multiple air dodges; USE THEM! Instead of using a D-air, float down, when they come up to attack you or w/e dodge out of the way and use a neutral air or w/e. Mix up your game so your not as predictable.

6: Spamming D-air isn't necessarly horrible... it just gets really predictable and has a good deal of landing lag if you miss. landing lag that can easily lead to your death. If you use it sparringly, it can be great, but TL has a lot of great aerials that shouldn't be forgotten. See above for alternate methods of attacking from above.

7: I typically just toss bombs randomly, fire arrows like a moblin, and aim my boomerang at where they're coming from. Of coarse, don't do this if you think they might not be able to recover. For as you should already know, hitting them gives them they're recovery move back...

8: This one comes from experiance and circumstance. Can't help you on this. sorry.

9: Bottom line - just spend lots of time with him, you'll get to know the character. Whoever your play against and always losing to, ask them for advise. If they're reluctant that means they're scared you might become better than them. Laugh at them, lol. But seriously, if they're real smashers, they'd be willing to make a decent challenge out of you. Ask them what they think you should be doing, what they do and such.

Hope that helped. Anymore questions feel free to PM me, I'll help any way I can.

Omega_Knight

Smash Cadet
^Great input. Also, there are lots of vids out there of Toon Link if you really don't improve because you can see what others do.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
TL is one character i would love to be able to play with, but i am horrible at him (and pretty much every other char). I was wondering if youll could help me with a few things since even reading a bunch of guides didnt work.

List

1. How to get combos off as toon link because i always seem to get hit first and never a chance to hit back and what good combos are and when to use

Start combos with projectiles like arrow. Or wait for the opponent to come, while spamming projectiles. Try to sometimes fake an attack, then do a real attack. Also if you are not shffling or RARing do it now.

2. How to not make my grabs fail it always seems that i miss because someone rolls or something

The best time to use a grab is from your shield. Shield when someone attacks, then after their attack press A to grab. If you don't think it will hit, don't do it.

3. How to make good use of projectiles since i can never make them hit such as the arrows they always miss the only one i can sort of use is the boomerrang and thats not hard the bombs though would be the hardest for me i always miss or damage myself in the process

You can't ask us how to aim, you have to play around yourself. Just go to training and throw bombs/arrows until you get the hang of it.
Remember not to throw bombs if the opponent is close. If the opponent is close, shield and it will explode without hurting you.

4. How to finish people i am fighting i always seem to get them to decent damage %( such as today when i got 400 damage given and only took 211% but some how lost) but can never capitalize which sucks because I obviously always lose

Use your F-smash, Up-Smash, and U-air. They are powerful killing moves. You said you are having trouble attacking people before you get attacked, so work on that.

5. How to avoid getting KOed by using good defensive methods ( i really just want to know how to play good D as link seeing as i always end of just blindly rolling around to avoid attacks which usually does more hurt than good.

When you are shielding, you can grab using A. You can also use your Up-Smash out of shield. Don't roll too much, instead jump around attacking. When retreating use projectiles to keep opponent away, so you can get ready.

6. Why it is bad to spam Dair, im wondering this because at the moment this is my only way i can get good damage seeing as i can never land any good attacks (which i hope youll can help me with)

Land good attacks :)
OK, it's bad because it gets predictable and if your opponent is any good, he will get out of the way, charge a smash, and kill you. Also off the edge you could die.

Drop down and aerial, b-air or u-air. TL has really good recovery, so don't be afraid! Also you can use arrows etc. If you are talking about battling while getting back, remember that TL has a really good recovery and don't be afraid to use your bombs, boomerang or arrows before jumping back.

8.when to use what moves where since i always seem to find my self trying to figure out which one to use i never know for example which to use ftilt or neutral, or in the air whether to use neutral or any other one

Well use the move that will hit your opponent. While in the air, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to combo, bair is best, uair follows for juggling in the air. Fair and nair have good knock back.
For the most part, you'll want to combo, until you can kill. So using your projectiles, bair and uair are good ideas. U-tilt is good for comboing to. F-smash is powerful for killing.

9. Anything else that i missed that youll can think thats helpful seeing as im as bad as i am any tutorial videos or guides you think i might have missed covering alot of these issues is welcomed also

See my guide it's the best. Kidding.

Yeah, I've written in red what I think. I hope this post works.

KazuTheNut

Smash Apprentice
Canada, Quebec, around the border between Ontario

List

I think combos are really based off on how you play. I use completely different combos than other playerss I see.

Try to grab after you hit the enemy, while (s)he's stunned... But I don't use grabs much, so I can't help much...

I personnaly use projectiles to limit where my opponents can go, then I smack'em hard. But we can't really help you on how to aim, you just need to practice...

I'm not sure what to say here, my opponents usualy go up to 150%... And then I kill them off....

Unless your enemy grabs alot, you could just sheild normaly, but I personaly prefer air dodging and Sheild+Down.

It's bad because of the lag Toonie gets when he lands, and because he goes real fast downwards, if you do so in the air and miss... you're pretty much screwed...

I personaly just use FAir, Bair and ocasionaly the risky DAir. That, and make good use of your projectiles, boomerang especialy, because you can control the trajectory.

Just find an attack you like and is still powerful. I personaly like to FAir and USmash, but that's just me, and I'm definately no expert...

For# 09:You'll need to tell us what else you have trouble in, or see some fotage of your gameplay...

I doubt I helped, but...

SuicideSquirril

Smash Rookie
Toon link has great combos, and while i don't even pretend to think i have even come close to anything even worthy of notice as any character, I hold fast in my belief that the following are good begginner combos.

C1:
1.pull out bomb
2.jump twice untill somewhat aligned to opponents below
3.Throw bomb down at them (down and a)
4. while they are bieng hit by the bomb Dair them, they won't have the time to dodge, and it is a very effective way of Dairing

C2:
1.Grab a bomb
2.Walk within grabbing range of opponent
3.Throw bomb directly up into air
4.Grab opponent
5.Throw him up, he should hit the bomb
6.If you have time, you can jump and Uair him, up-B him, or Usmash him while he lands

C3:
1.Grab opponent
2.Throw him up
3. Grab bomb
4.Throw bomb up
5. Uair the bomb when the opponent is closing in on it

For a general hint, i would say learn to use his projectiles, specifically the bomb, although all of them are very useful in thier own situations.

Go to training mode for general training, and trying out new combos, or practicing old ones.

TL has mad hops, make use of his Half-Floatiness by using one jump off of the stage and doing F or Bair to knock opponents away.

The Dair is an extreamly usefull spike, if your opponent is off the stage, however be extra cautious when using it off of the stage, if you miss you will go rocketing down off of the stage.

Training is a great way to learn some things, but some of the best training is playing against friends, get some friends over at your house and just play, and play, and do it regularly. And one of the best pieces of advice i can give you is this, DO NOT under any circumstances ever stop using the character you want to advance at. I took the time to unlock all of the characters, and find my main, and i havent played a single game using someone else than toon link in any match sense. I will eventually, there are other people i want to play, but before i do that i want to get so good at my character, that my friends call it cheap when i play. Then, when i am so good my friends don't want to play against me as toon link, i will play as others.

This sounds easy, but it is not, i have been tempted many times to play other characters, exspessially when my friends choose a character TL isent good at fighting, but if you just stick with the character, and don't change every game, or every other game, you are forced to be creative to learn more of the character so that you can beat those characters, and so that you dont get bored only playing one character, this stands for every character not just TL.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
I found C2 to be pretty good on paper, can't wait to try it later. My advice isn't too trustworthy since I am still learning how to play as TL, but what I can tell you is learn to short hop. It will help you a lot with your Bairs and combos, and if you can't do it already (I almost can), learn. B-sticking is also an effective way of getting RARs off, as well as pulling bombs in air without fast falling.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
The problem is that Toon Link's bomb suck. lol.
They don't suck, but I would choose the Boomerang and Arrows way before the bomb. O.o
They don't really suck. The thing about them is you have the most control in a pinch. Sure you can guide the boomerang a bit, but you can throw bombs up. Also, pulling a bomb is easy enough with B-sticking, and you don't have as much lag when you throw it, nor do you have to worry about it coming back and stalling you on the ground.

EDIT: I am now a Smash Child. Yay me.

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
I'm been choosing between a few people to main, but TL is one of the ones I'm pretty sure about, so I'll offer up what I've seen so far.

1. Bair chains. Simply put they are sexy and quit effective at building up damage early on, and they are also quite good at pushing the opponent off the edge once you have racked up some damage. Personally, I try to initiate a bair/bair chains out of a shield. Simply wait for them to finish their attack and short hop of your shield and bair immediately. What's great about this is that TL can pull off two in a single jump and sometimes catch people on the second one if they went into their shield.
It's also possible to RAR a bair/bair chain, but I don't really find it the most effective way of getting the bair off. Ohh, and just a side note, a decent way to finish bair chains is with a nair (to get them off the edge for an edge gaurd)/ fair (same as the last one) or uair (to push them back up into the air for more potential attacks)

2. You may not think it, but TL's nair is a pretty **** good finisher. Catch people with it by hopping out of shield or after a bomb throw. I've killed people as early as 120% with it (which is actually isn't too hard to get to with TL).

3. Smashes after a shield drop. I cannot say how many times this has helped me out in a tight spot. I especially like the Dsmash/Usmash out of shield, it's just too good for pushing your opponent away for breathing room or to kill them

4. On the ledge, to push the opponent away to dissuade them from pursuing you off the edge, you have a lot of options. You can push off, jump, pull a bomb, and throw it, and still grab back on to the ledge. You can also back off, shoot an arrow, and grab back on. Eventually they'll get ticked off and back away or begin to shield. Here is where you can get back on the stage somewhat safely through a full jump (pressing X while on the ledge) or just tapping forward. However, if you are facing someone w/ a disjointed hitbox that can swat away at your projectiles, you can try and lure them in w/ projectiles, then "get up attack" from the ledge with A or B, and catch them off gaurd.

5. TL's bombs. I actually disagree w/ whoever says they are not that good. I find them to be pretty nice as a way to clear a path for you, or to push your opponent into the shield where you can pressure them or grab them out of it. In addition, because TL is floaty and gets decent height off of his jumps, he can pull and throw a few bombs unhindered.

6. TL's grab. TL has one of the few grabs in Brawl that can actually lead to something; mainly his d-throw. Really, you can do a lot out of hit. D-throw into a bair, or into a fair, or hell, even into a dair if you feel like it haha. But what I mainly like to do is d-throw into a full hopped u-air and then follow it up by either a bair or pulling a bomb and then following them w/ it.

well, that's what I got.

Top Bottom