• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need to learn advanced techniques.

mainlink

Smash Cadet
OK. So I play Melee with my friends. They are not serious. I see you guys talk about a bunch of terms and techniques, and I don't know what some of them are. I would like to get better at the game, and understand the terms. Lol sorry if I piss you guys off or whatever, I'm just trying to learn, and some people don't really seem that helpful. Forget an ego, I'm here to get better. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.

Light_

Smash Apprentice
A great thread to start with is the one that was a sticky in this forum section. Click on "Wavedashing, L-cancelling, All The Terms! Read First! Update 12/23/2007" and you can learn what the terms mean. There's also some videos to help teach you techniques.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
idk why everyone expects to be hated when they come here :S

the smash melee community is generally pretty friendly

mainlink

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the help. I am completely new to forums, so I don't know how to use them really. I didn't expect to be hated, I guess I was just nervous. No one has really been mean. I look forward to getting better.

Spife

Smash Master
Didn't read thread, saw your name and the icon at the bottom and here's some advice: don't main link :bee: he's bad and doesn't go good with toast (much like vegemite). But if you must, make sure you use his nair (jump in the air and press a with no directional input). It's very good and does go good with toast (much like..something that goes good with toast)

Jonas

Smash Champion
I understand the fear of getting a bit of hate when posting "noob" questions or posting in the wrong section or making dublicate threads, but you're always welcome to ask a question (worst case scenario your thread will be locked).

Anywas
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749
Gooooooood thread

Spife,
Don't say "don't main Link". I agree it's not a great idea if you want to defeat everyone in the world, but any player should feel free to main whoever they want ;)
idk why everyone expects to be hated when they come here :S

the smash melee community is generally pretty friendly
Except when discussing Brawl :laugh:

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Don't worry about getting hated on you could be the nicest guy ever and people would still hate you so if you have something meaningful or whatever to post go for it. Welcome to smashboards there also tourments for when you at least have an understanding for techs and the game. But once you learn the techs and feel good about them you can go to nearby touraments IF you wish. DOn't be shy you will never get laid that way.

Also a important warning If you post someone involveing pichu about 70% of the time I will find it ask, or comment and maybe rambleing and spilling out very detailed info.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I'm confused what are you asking? I was simply saying he should be shy about going to tourarments and if he was shy in all cases he would never get laid.

But yeah watch out for sheiks

Eggm

Smash Hero
Do yourself a favor and practice L-canceling from the beginning with only hitting R or L slightly down instead of all the way down. I learned it while hitting L all the way down and now I miss techs when I get hit while trying to l-cancel. I wish some one told me this while I was starting to practice. =\ When you hit L or R all the way down you cannot use L or R again to tech for I think its something like 20 frames (1/3 of a second) so if some one hits you while you were inputting an L-cancel you will miss the tech then get kneed and die. :(

ShootingStars

Smash Apprentice
Do yourself a favor and practice L-canceling from the beginning with only hitting R or L slightly down instead of all the way down. I learned it while hitting L all the way down and now I miss techs when I get hit while trying to l-cancel. I wish some one told me this while I was starting to practice. =\ When you hit L or R all the way down you cannot use L or R again to tech for I think its something like 20 frames (1/3 of a second) so if some one hits you while you were inputting an L-cancel you will miss the tech then get kneed and die. :(
seriously? ****... i need to fix this habit!

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
No matter what -anyone- says, focus on your mindgames while working on AT's. Unless you play Fox or Falco, techskill won't help you as much as working out your mindgames. Watch how pros play the character, and try to emulate SOME of their movement, combos, etc, etc.

If you're fox or falco, there's a certain techskill cap you'll have to reach before you'll have enough control over the character to do what you want. ESPECIALLY with how far their metagames have evolved now. I don't see too many games nowdays where falcos aren't waveshining across the stage or foxes aren't doing crazy fast combos.

Good luck!

datstupidmarth

Smash Cadet
u don't need advanced skill unless u want to be good if u want to be great thin play smart but if u want to be a legend don't get hit

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
you cant train yourself to do mindgames wtf

mindgames are something that happen in match as you adapt and read your opponent.

By-Tor

Smash Cadet
I'm still figuring out this community myself. Most everyone on the boards is really helpful, as they want to see more aspiring smashers out there. I'm not gonna lie though, there ARE some ***** on the boards, but if you have a large community, you're gonna have some *****. I am a guitar player, and while most people are really good with helping you, there are those people when you ask if you can play their guitar are like "no, now **** off."

We all welcome your desire to improve

mainlink

Smash Cadet
Well, I checked those links out, and I realize I have a lot to learn. I have never seen the game played so welll... I was like wtf. I've started practicing some techniques, but they're difficult. More practice. I want to perfect my Link and Luigi. Ness and Sheik. Probably Falco and Samus, too. I really only like playing witch characters I like. Link is slow and whatever, but I feel that with strategies any character can be on top. I have a good understanding on how to use Link and Luigi, I just need to learn the techniques that I saw and read about. Thanks for all the help.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Hey captain of crunch I think it's a bit early to give him that guide to read. Also it is harder to play as many people mostly when it's a bunch of hard ones (not all of them are to hard but for maybe ness and samus) I tryed that and My ice climbers sank to crap and I couldn't stiwch people very good.

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
Didn't read thread, saw your name and the icon at the bottom and here's some advice: don't main link :bee: he's bad and doesn't go good with toast (much like vegemite). But if you must, make sure you use his nair (jump in the air and press a with no directional input). It's very good and does go good with toast (much like..something that goes good with toast)
Lol spife, you give advice on link as if your link was good! :p:p:p

Jokes, I had to say something *teehee* just like your advice you gave to AOI at flaco's "DUDE SPAM NAIR JUST SPAM THE NAIR."

Bawhawhawhawhaw.

But yes, I must agree, if you're looking to get better at the game in general, there are worse people to choose than link, but indeed it's a bad idea...

~MOP

mainlink

Smash Cadet
I have noticed that Ness is difficult to use. I will focus on Falco or Sheik, while trying to balance my Link. I've been wanting to use a faster character. I've experimented with Falco and Sheik, and I like them both. I like Luigi as well, my friends hate on him and I don't see why. It's fun to kick them with him. I like his floatiness and his air kicks.

Dragonite would be a ****** character. Big and slow, but HyperBeam?... c'mon.
He would prolly suck, but I love Dragonite.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I hate luigi also he seems to be the most uncomboable person ever i've seen drakrain get a 6 hit combo on a puff before. but never on a luigi.

Also the fastest in the game I would say are ICe climbers mastered de-synces(never done before to fast for fingers) fox,shiek,pichu,falco, and falcon however some people need fast fingers even if they are slow like ness.

mainlink

Smash Cadet
CARZYGUY, you only Melee? I've been playing with Sheik lately, trying to develop a strategy and get better with her. My finger aren't as fast as I would like them to be sometimes. I have a bad habit of cracking them, too. I can't help but think that plays a part in slowness.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Yeah I only melee lol. I said fast because it seems fast at first kindof like *****, but really shiek is needle charge(hold B and press L or R to hold them for later) grabs, tilt to air attacks. Shiek is fairly simple tilt air attack tilt air attack and if they didn't go high enough tilt again she isn't uber hard at lowest levels.

MCSR

Smash Apprentice
Well, I checked those links out, and I realize I have a lot to learn. I have never seen the game played so welll... I was like wtf. I've started practicing some techniques, but they're difficult. More practice. I want to perfect my Link and Luigi. Ness and Sheik. Probably Falco and Samus, too. I really only like playing witch characters I like. Link is slow and whatever, but I feel that with strategies any character can be on top. I have a good understanding on how to use Link and Luigi, I just need to learn the techniques that I saw and read about. Thanks for all the help.
SLIM DOWN YOUR CHARACTERS.
Learn one character first.
If you start out trying to learn like 6 characters, you'll screw up.
Just learn everything about Link. Then Luigi.
Focus on one at a time.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
SLIM DOWN YOUR CHARACTERS.
Learn one character first.
If you start out trying to learn like 6 characters, you'll screw up.
Just learn everything about Link. Then Luigi.
Focus on one at a time.
My belief exactly. You need to pick only one character first. It severely hinders your overall improvement to jump around because you have to relearn how to respond, approach, and you don't learn specific techniques and strategies that you normally would get with only 1 char.
Take it from experience, cuz jumping around with fox, falco, shiek and marth, severely hindered my progress.

mainlink

Smash Cadet
Link is just fun to play for me. I haven't made my mind up between Falco or Sheik. I've toyed around with both, but I can't decide. I'm leaning towards Sheik...

mainlink

Smash Cadet
I've been practicing both. I've got L canceling down somewhat, same as SHFFLing, but still practicing. Also, I'm trying to wavedash, but that is somewhat harder. Just need to get my timing better.

pacostaco123

Smash Cadet
You are jumping into competitive smash too fast. Just learn one technique first till you can do it without thinking. THEN move on.

Top Bottom