• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Need Help With My SHL's & Shines

Hoodii

Smash Rookie
Me and my friends are starting to get on the competitive side of Smash (never too late to start imo).

Anyways, I need help with my SHL's (Fox/Falco) and Shines (double shines, waveshining, etc).

I always end up side-b'ing mid air when I try to SHL and self destruct off the map or end up blasting when I try to double shine or WS. It just looks really sloppy altogether.. Wavedashing is starting to get pretty easy.

Can I get some advice or can someone link me to a tutorial that can show me easier ways to do these things?

Thanks!

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
if you're illusioning when you should be shooting, it means you don't bring your controller to neutral before you shoot. force yourself to remember to let the control stick go to neutral as soon as you leave the ground. in the end, practice makes perfect. also, in the unlikely event that you use up to jump, in this case i think it'd be a lot easier to use a jump button.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
That's really all it is. If you're side-B'ing, you're still holding a direction. If not, a laser would come out. Resetting to neutral is nearly always the best option. For example with waveshines, the best way to do it is to do a shine, reset the control stick to neutral position, and then do a jump, move the control stick, and then airdodge/finish the wavedash.

I personally prefer this method because 1) it makes sure you're facing the direction you started out in when you started the waveshine and 2) it's less muscle memory for you. Rather than thinking of the waveshine as "okay, shine, slide the control stick/jump, do the other one, then airdodge" it becomes a "okay, shine, now wavedash." The wavedash should be done exactly as mentioned, too. Jump, reset the control stick (if not already neutral), then airdodge. This also helps with learning wavedash OoS.

I'm not that great of a player, but I'm decently technical. That's the only bit of authority I have on the matter.

Black Fire

Smash Rookie
first off, what ^ they said. Its really helpful to think about wavedashing as one movement rather than jump, slide controlstick, airdodge. I can't really help any more than what these guys said on SHL, but for waveshining, watch out for illusioning instead of shining. I had a REAL hard time with that at first. idk if you even have a problem with this, but I'll say it regardless. It help me a lot to break up the motion into steps. So you would wavedash, then get your fingers into shine position immediately, but don't shine. after you took a moment, then shine and get your fingers into wavedash position, but don't wavedash. repeat this cycle.

Hopefully this made sense, it's kinda hard to type this out rather than say it, but I did my best :)

Top Bottom