• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need help getting over a mental block

DragonZProductions

Smash Rookie
I have a huge mental block over a fellow player at my local venue. We mainly play Melee so that is what I will refer to, however this extends to all smash games. So he will play an extremely simple game of F-smashing with Falco and I fall for it all the time. However I am aware of him doing this so I have constantly just stalled him out until he does something stupid. Constantly I will have the edge over him 3-1 stock wise and then will lose the whole game. I understand how to beat him and his play but I have a huge mental block over winning. How can I remove this block so I can start going up in the ranks at my local venue

Player -0

Smash Hero
I have a huge mental block over a fellow player at my local venue. We mainly play Melee so that is what I will refer to, however this extends to all smash games. So he will play an extremely simple game of F-smashing with Falco and I fall for it all the time. However I am aware of him doing this so I have constantly just stalled him out until he does something stupid. Constantly I will have the edge over him 3-1 stock wise and then will lose the whole game. I understand how to beat him and his play but I have a huge mental block over winning. How can I remove this block so I can start going up in the ranks at my local venue
Who do you play?

Player -0

Smash Hero
You could always do stuff like running up then shielding and then punishing his reaction.

Also make sure you space so you're not endangered unless you're going in. Spacing is really important, if you know he's going to run up F-Smash then sit in shield and if he waits then WD OoS and regain spacing.

DragonZProductions

Smash Rookie
Well it isn't a problem of beating him and his simple tactic, its more of I can't beat HIM. I don't understand why

DragonZProductions

Smash Rookie
Bingo, like I know exactly how to beat him, yet I will just lose every match i play against him. Which is the mental block I am trying to get over. Maybe I just don't like to see him rage and I let him win? but how can I ignore it because every match I throw it away

Player -0

Smash Hero
Bingo, like I know exactly how to beat him, yet I will just lose every match i play against him. Which is the mental block I am trying to get over. Maybe I just don't like to see him rage and I let him win? but how can I ignore it because every match I throw it away
What's most likely happening is that you think you've got the game in the bag so you start slacking off and becoming sloppy and not ending it as soon as possible.

If you beat your buddy and he starts to rage then point out where he can improve so you can in turn get better.

Pretty much just keep concentrating on beating him and stay focused.

OldManTurner

Smash Cadet
What's most likely happening is that you think you've got the game in the bag so you start slacking off and becoming sloppy and not ending it as soon as possible.

If you beat your buddy and he starts to rage then point out where he can improve so you can in turn get better.

Yeah i was gonna say the same thing, just because you're in the lead doesn't mean start celebrating already, it only takes one mistake to make it a new game. Play like he could come back at any point in time. Pretend you're on your last stock the whole game. that's how i play, because I find that people play a lot harder on their last stock, because the obvious outcome of being close to defeat. hopefully that helps in any way

Shredagaze

Smash Rookie

Agreed. I have this same problem with a friend of mine who plays wario. He always uses >b and i fall for it every time do to eagerness.
i also shouldn't be losing to him considering he only plays casually and Ive been playing all day everyday for years. Since i always think that I dont try as hard (which i shouldn't do) Just stay focused its better to go hard and continue to win then to use less effort and have a chance to lose. About the raging......They'll get over it its all fun at the end of the day.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Agreed. I have this same problem with a friend of mine who plays wario. He always uses >b and i fall for it every time do to eagerness.
i also shouldn't be losing to him considering he only plays casually and Ive been playing all day everyday for years. Since i always think that I dont try as hard (which i shouldn't do) Just stay focused its better to go hard and continue to win then to use less effort and have a chance to lose. About the raging......They'll get over it its all fun at the end of the day.
Just shield or space an aerial, or just space.

Top Bottom