• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need desperate help.

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
Everytime I lose or do really bad I just rage really hard.

It's really frustrating me because I like the game but it's making me angry a lot because I'm no good at it.

On many occasions I've nearly broken my 3DS which I definitely do NOT want to happen.

I've tried taking breaks, calming down and playing again but it just doesn't work.

No matter what I try I can't stop, can someone help me PLEASE?

Soma X

Smash Rookie

It's really frustrating me because I like the game but it's making me angry a lot because I'm no good at it.

On many occasions I've nearly broken my 3DS which I definitely do NOT want to happen.

I've tried taking breaks, calming down and playing again but it just doesn't work.

Use your loses as a learning experience, I lose a ton but that's what makes you better, trust me I rage a ton but you gotta try and look at the positives

Raijinken

Smash Master
If you can't stop raging, really, the only options are to either risk breaking your 3DS, or stop playing Smash in modes that stress you out. It's something you'll either have to work on, or avoid.

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
Maybe you're not good at the character you're using? I was bad at first, but I got better.
Well I'm trying to learn Fox at the moment, but I usually don't get too mad if they beat me since I'm still learning him, but if they beat me on Mac I get so mad because he's my main.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to competitive gaming. You must be new. Remember that there WILL be people better than you. Losing is apart of learning and if you can't take that, you WILL NOT grow.

Too many threads similar to this.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Well I'm trying to learn Fox at the moment, but I usually don't get too mad if they beat me since I'm still learning him, but if they beat me on Mac I get so mad because he's my main.
One issue with Little Mac is that he is extremely gimpable, and as a result, even if you're well ahead, one good throw will end you. You may want to try focusing on some characters who aren't as polar in their performance, and who leave more room for error.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Try playing while listening to music that you like. You can also try playing without trying to win or caring about what happens. If you're just goofing off then you can still play and improve without being so worried about the results.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Do a bunch of exercise before and after you play, trust me it'll tire you out and help you stay relaxed because you won't have the energy to be mad. Also, play with friends a lot to practice.

NivinyaFate

Smash Cadet
NNID
Fate684
3DS FC
2423-4511-5468
When you lose, stop what you're doing (put down the 3DS/controller), take a deep breath (at least 5 seconds breathing in and 6 seconds out) and say "Losing does not matter," preferably out loud, and repeat 2 or 3 more times. It should help you calm down and in time will hopefully remove the frustration you feel from losing completely.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Trust me man, I get salty at games all the time, I used to have huge rage problems when I played Halo. With Smash Bros. it's not different, but whenever an opponent is so unbelievably annoying to play, such as they're camping, taunting constantly or crouch spamming then there is no shame in just leaving if you simply don't want to keep on playing them. Definitely try what other people have said though, learn to calm yourself, stop caring about results and enjoy the game, then improve from it. If a competitive Smash player ever says, "I never get angry when I play, I always learn from my mistakes" then they're flat out lying, everyone gets angry at least once, so don't call it a pathetic habit since it's just a human emotion.

AccountsDept

Smash Cadet
the loser's portrait on the victory screen
NNID
Xeno

People are going to kick your ass.

That's just how it's going to be.

You need to train yourself into almost making it an expectation, but you need to learn from that. Eventually, you'll find that the ass-kickery will settle after a while, and then suddenly you're winning consistently. When that happens, you need to step up the people you're playing with. Repeat.

Playing with friends helps a lot with this, as when stupid **** happens or when people mess up, you can just laugh about it. It gives you good partners to practice with and the like.

And I can't remember who said it, but it was a Counter-Strike player -

"If you're not losing 75% of the practice matches you're playing, you're playing against the wrong people."

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
Trust me man, I get salty at games all the time, I used to have huge rage problems when I played Halo. With Smash Bros. it's not different, but whenever an opponent is so unbelievably annoying to play, such as they're camping, taunting constantly or crouch spamming then there is no shame in just leaving if you simply don't want to keep on playing them. Definitely try what other people have said though, learn to calm yourself, stop caring about results and enjoy the game, then improve from it. If a competitive Smash player ever says, "I never get angry when I play, I always learn from my mistakes" then they're flat out lying, everyone gets angry at least once, so don't call it a pathetic habit since it's just a human emotion.
I probably got it from my days on League, I used to rage really hard at it, eventually learned to control it.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Don't play for glory, play normal smash... fight low levels ALOT till you get better.
I mean getting killed by stupid Little Mac's makes me rage like hell but just try not to break your 3DS ;)

Last edited:

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
Don't play for glory, play normal smash... fight low levels ALOT
till you get better.
I mean getting killed by stupid Little Mac's makes me rage like hell but just try not to break your 3DS ;)
Hehe.. yeah.. those dumb Little Mac players..

Top Bottom