• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I kinda feel like the 3DS version is pointless now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxMiles

Smash Apprentice
Let me start off by saying that I like the 3DS version.

But let's just admit that Nintendo wanted money, and like every other business company, was greedy for our cash.

Look at it.

The 3DS version has nothing on the Wii U one. Of course, there's portability, but the Wii U version has better stages, eight player battles, etc.

AND you start with Ness and Ganondorf as starting characters!

Note: I am not trashing on Smash 3DS. I'm just wondering what the point of it was, considering they could have just had JUST the Wii U one, and then we'd have Ice Climbers (who got cut due to the 3DS version).

SmashBear

Smash Cadet
NNID
PotatoMunches
well the wii u version is when you are at home and the 3ds version is when you are on the go so the 3ds version isn't completely pointless

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
It's Smash on the go, for those road trips that no one feels like hauling a console along.

Wait, Nintendo wants m-money? Grabbing my pitchfork now.

Don't be such a killjoy.

Spirst

If they just had the Wii U version, it wouldn't sell as well. Nintendo is a company like any other and seeks to make business. More people have a 3DS than a Wii U and so, a 3DS version would naturally generate a large amount of cash based on all the people getting the game.

xxMiles

Smash Apprentice
If they just had the Wii U version, it wouldn't sell as well. Nintendo is a company like any other and seeks to make business. More people have a 3DS than a Wii U and so, a 3DS version would naturally generate a large amount of cash based on all the people getting the game.
True, I guess you're right.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
3Ds for when you're not at your TV, or at a hotel where your Wii U didn't travel with you. Or a friend's house. Or on the bus. Or the train.....Or Smash on a long flight.

Wii U is for the console version of Smash we all love when you're in front of your TV by your console.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It still is the only version you can play anywhere, so nope, it is not pointless. That said, if you play home, there is no reason to pick Smash 3DS over Smash U.

PND

Smash Champion
I love the portability of Smash 3DS, but I would trade the game in a heartbeat for ICs and a little bit more content in Smash Wii U.

Tomlanji

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tomlanji
3DS FC
4098-2281-7871
-Portable Smash
-Not everyone can afford a Wii U
-Help Boost Sales
-Owns 3DS and might not want to buy a Wii U just for another version of Smash
-It can play with Wii U players
-Its still a great game. It may be inferior to the Wii U version, but its still a great game. Best one on 3DS.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
That gamecube controller and those HD graphics will sell you literally anything, huh? Look at it objectively: Smash Wii U is full of really awful looking game modes and extra bells and whistles you'll use all of twice before noticing how stupid they are. Wow! More stages! Except 95% of them will be awful, riddled with annoying hazards and be useful only for another different looking Final Destination. Even Gaur Plains has somehow been made worse with the addition of Metal Face.

3DS version is the superior version. If I want to play against someone in Smash, I don't have to say "hey come over to my place later and we'll play Smash", I can just whip the 3DS out and we can play. It's the same reason that Pokemon is successful. Honestly, there shouldn't even be a Wii U version. Mewtwo will just end up being like $2.99 on the eShop a week after he goes live anyway.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Smash 3DS was mostly made for casual purposes, so it's pretty obvious that it wouldn't be as impressive as Smash Wii U.

xxMiles

Smash Apprentice
That gamecube controller and those HD graphics will sell you literally anything, huh? Look at it objectively: Smash Wii U is full of really awful looking game modes and extra bells and whistles you'll use all of twice before noticing how stupid they are. Wow! More stages! Except 95% of them will be awful, riddled with annoying hazards and be useful only for another different looking Final Destination. Even Gaur Plains has somehow been made worse with the addition of Metal Face.

3DS version is the superior version. If I want to play against someone in Smash, I don't have to say "hey come over to my place later and we'll play Smash", I can just whip the 3DS out and we can play. It's the same reason that Pokemon is successful. Honestly, there shouldn't even be a Wii U version. Mewtwo will just end up being like $2.99 on the eShop a week after he goes live anyway.
Are you really suggesting that the Wii U version shouldn't exist? The GameCube controller is the best way to play Smash (IMO). Eight player battles, better graphics, more comfortable to play on, etc.

I don't get what's so good about "portability" anyway, especially when all you can do is play with CPUs...in my opinion.

And why is everyone getting so defensive? It's like nobody can have a discussion about the game. I even said that I LIKE the game, and people are getting upset over it.

People should chill out and not get so worked up.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord

You clearly don't have a good times when your friends come over to play smash. Hell, why ever interact with people at all! Who needs it with the internet and all? Amrite?? -_-

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'm a university student who works evening shifts. I don't touch base with my apartment for long periods of time, usually.

So I'm gonna still play the hell out of my 3DS with my university buddies there, and when I get home I can sit back and relax with my Hd version.

I actually really like this. Plus if the physics are the same, I got like 2 month's worth of practice to get me ready for the Wii U version.

Also did you expect the 3ds version to have more content then the Wii U version, or...?

xxMiles

Smash Apprentice
I'm a university student who works evening shifts. I don't touch base with my apartment for long periods of time, usually.

So I'm gonna still play the hell out of my 3DS with my university buddies there, and when I get home I can sit back and relax with my Hd version.

I actually really like this. Plus if the physics are the same, I got like 2 month's worth of practice to get me ready for the Wii U version.

Also did you expect the 3ds version to have more content then the Wii U version, or...?
No, I didn't, I just am wondering why I don't feel like playing more. It was a really fun game, but I'm just kinda confused as to why I peaked at 19+ hours.

Note: It's not the game's fault. Idk.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
There are some things the 3DS version has that the Wii U version doesn't.
3D
Portability
Better Mario Stages
Better Fire Emblem Stage
Smash Run (better than Smash Tour from what ive seen)
Better Omega Variants
Team Outlines are better on a portable
No CD's
The Wii U version on the other hand
Trailers galore
Masterpieces are back
HD
Bigger starting roster
A new Sonic, Starfox, Metroid, and Donkey Kong stages
More Music
More trophies
More Stages
Stage Builder
Plus everything on the 3DS except Smash Run and most stages are on Wii U
Though I cant afford the Wii U version, ill still watch gameplay and love the 3DS version(though if stage dlc are released then id buy it)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
No, I didn't, I just am wondering why I don't feel like playing more. It was a really fun game, but I'm just kinda confused as to why I peaked at 19+ hours.

Note: It's not the game's fault. Idk.
IDK, I mean, I've been enjoying the hell out of online play, despite the laggyness at times.

Also playing with friends never gets old.

Chakra-X

Smash Cadet
If you told me that Nintendo opted not to make a 3DS version and only made a Wii U version, I would be absolutely sad. I have wanted a mobile smash brothers for years and we finally got it. Sure it was held back by Nintendo's tech but imo it did a great job and will still be relevant after Smash Wii U simply because of the convenience. I might be busy this weekend to play Smash at my house with friends, but **** our lunch breaks sure get intense at work!

The Wii U one looks to blow out the 3DS one by a lot in terms of presentation and features, but...The Wii U is newer, stronger, and more capable than the 3DS, so you should expect nothing less. Imagine if they made it like Playstation All Stars where they were essentially mirrored copies of the game, it would feel even more arbitrary.

I wouldn't really call this post "objective"...It's actually a rather pessimistic opinion post to me.

Those modes may be superfluous to you, but as a party fighter/casual experience, it's doing a lot new things that the previous installments did not do.

And to proclaim that "there shouldn't be a Wii U version" is quite incendiary. To ignore Smash's console roots and only stick it to a (relative to the Wii U) inferior system doesn't make sense. Even in local play, lag is possible. Now we can play on huge television screens, in HD, with a controller of our choice. You are trivializing the improved visual experience and comfort as being "sold on HD".

I also have a feeling some of these stages will have the ability to have "boss mode" turned off, but that is just speculation on my part.

Considering the only thing you are losing out on the Wii U version is portability, I am highly surprised you feel the 3DS version is superior to the 3DS version.

xxMiles

Smash Apprentice
There are some things the 3DS version has that the Wii U version doesn't.
3D
Portability
Better Mario Stages
Better Fire Emblem Stage
Smash Run (better than Smash Tour from what ive seen)
Better Omega Variants
Team Outlines are better on a portable
No CD's
The Wii U version on the other hand
Trailers galore
Masterpieces are back
HD
Bigger starting roster
A new Sonic, Starfox, Metroid, and Donkey Kong stages
More Music
More trophies
More Stages
Stage Builder
Plus everything on the 3DS except Smash Run and most stages are on Wii U
Though I cant afford the Wii U version, ill still watch gameplay and love the 3DS version(though if stage dlc are released then id buy it)
Yeah, but it's missing voice chat, tournament mode, event mode, and other Smash Bros. modes. I get that it's a handheld game, but I think it's best called the "appetizer".

I'm not trying to offend people, I'm just saying. I just PERSONALLY think the Wii U one will be better. I mean, it seems to me like Nintendo gimped the 3DS one by holding back features.

Just my opinion though.

IDK, I mean, I've been enjoying the hell out of online play, despite the laggyness at times.

Also playing with friends never gets old.

Yeah, I think if I had people to play against, I probably would be playing it more.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Of course.

The 3ds version was, in my opinion, literally made to be just a portable smash. Sure, Smash run, classic, etc are nice, but what really sets it apart from ANY other smash game is PORTABLE SMASH XD

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
These threads pop up like ~8 times a day it seems.

How about this. Youre the owner of a popular gaming company that has both a console and a handheld device that are fully capable of handling the same game. However, one of the two is insanely more popular even if its technically the weaker of the two just because of accessibility or other silly reasons to prefer it over the "better" system.
You decide to release it for the more common system, but since all it takes is some graphical overhauls and coding changes to port it to the more powerful, but less popular system, you release it for that too at a later date.
Porting a game is significantly less work than making a totally new one.

Why would they NOT release it for 3DS when it can handle the game perfectly fine, it looks great even if it isnt HD, and its for a system that is nearly 4x as popular than the "Traditional" platform that can do HD quality? Only reason theyre releasing it for both and not just the 3DS is because they want more games on the Wiiu that are actually..yaknow..good?

i have a wiiu, thus i'll be getting smash wiiu, but if i didnt have it i wouldnt buy a wiiu just to get smashwiiu. i still kinda wish i never bought the oversized paperweight they call a controller er i mean console. however, if my speculations are true because of how insanely more popular the 3DS is, i'll probably play the 3DS unless i have local friends because of the number of online players.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Honestly I'm heavily considering getting rid of my Smash 3DS game after seeing what the Wii U version is capable of. Smash Run is fun and so is Smash on the go, but I think that in a month it's just going to basically fill that "on the go" niche for people who own both.

Anyone who thinks that the 3DS version held the Wii U version back is wrong.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Dude... Portable smash... did you not dream every day since the DS for this?

wingo

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I'm heavily considering getting rid of my Smash 3DS game after seeing what the Wii U version is capable of. Smash Run is fun and so is Smash on the go, but I think that in a month it's just going to basically fill that "on the go" niche for people who own both.

Anyone who thinks that the 3DS version held the Wii U version back is wrong.
:popo:

Khao

Smash Lord
Just today, I was playing my 3DS in the metro when a random guy approached me and asked if I had Smash.

Of course, Smash was the game I was playing, so I simply showed him my screen.

Next thing I know? I was "challenged" to a duel by a stranger out of complete nowhere, we played a few matches and it was ****ing awesome, I never would have expected something like that to happen, but it really made my day. After that, we exchanged contact information so we could play again at some point, and then just got headed to my job. My life moved on like usual, but that moment was probably the best thing to happen lately, just plain unexpected fun and a great time out of complete nowhere. After this, I definitely plan on doing the same each time I see somebody playing on a 3DS in a a train, or the bus.

If you want to know what's the point of the 3DS version, this is it.

The fact that moments like this are even possible makes me very happy that this is a thing. I'll take this version any day over the (gotta admit, pretty much insignificant) content that was cut due to limitations.

I'll defend this decision forever, and I hope handheld Smash is here to stay.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Yeah but now WiiU verison is coming out soon, the dream is kinda overrated now.
So you didn't know it was coming out for the Wii U until now?

or did you mean to say it's irrelevant?

Regardless, I hope you get ready to buy a big backpack to start carrying your TV and Wii U around with you. As well as a power generator.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
To be blunt, this much was obvious from the very beginning. It was clear as day that the Wii U would have the great bulk of the content. We're lucky that the 3DS version managed to get the content it did.

Really, if this makes you feel like the 3DS version is "pointless", I have no idea how you managed to convince yourself that it ever wasn't. I bought it knowing full well that it would pale in comparison to the Wii U version. No regrets!

Raijinken

Smash Master
Well, as of all we know right now, the easiest way to get Mewtwo is to own both versions of the game. So, that's a pretty big point.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I definitely feel like the 3DS Version is barebones compared to the Wii U.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187

The wii u has online too so I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to ask him to come over

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
I'm still shocked people don't realize how impressive it is that they even managed to make Smash on 3ds. For what they were capable of, they did AMAZING with it, including online options and Smash Run as well as other things. Really, if you judge Smash 3ds as a handheld, it's impossibly good.

Not sure why people are shocked about how a console game is better than a handheld...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah, but it's missing voice chat, tournament mode, event mode, and other Smash Bros. modes. I get that it's a handheld game, but I think it's best called the "appetizer".

I'm not trying to offend people, I'm just saying. I just PERSONALLY think the Wii U one will be better. I mean, it seems to me like Nintendo gimped the 3DS one by holding back features./quote]
If Nintendo gimped the 3DS version, they'd be in trouble or something

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I'm still shocked people don't realize how impressive it is that they even managed to make Smash on 3ds. For what they were capable of, they did AMAZING with it, including online options and Smash Run as well as other things. Really, if you judge Smash 3ds as a handheld, it's impossibly good.

Not sure why people are shocked about how a console game is better than a handheld...
Impossibly good? Is that a back handed compliment?

Online options aren't that good actually, bare bones compared to any other fighting game out right now.

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
I like both versions, I love that I have a portable smash brothers and I like that I have a at home version as well, I really don't care where I play or how I play it, at least i get to play smash.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Impossibly good? Is that a back handed compliment?

Online options aren't that good actually, bare bones compared to any other fighting game out right now.
Nah, it's an actual compliment, this game looks beautiful for what it's on. This game also plays beautifully for a handheld. And honestly I'm not sure of any other handheld fighting games, so you'd have to clue me in.

But for a handheld, it just controls and plays so well, even online for the most part, that it's really amazing. Plus I actually like Smash Run, which is another plus.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Nah, it's an actual compliment, this game looks beautiful for what it's on. This game also plays beautifully for a handheld. And honestly I'm not sure of any other handheld fighting games, so you'd have to clue me in.

But for a handheld, it just controls and plays so well, even online for the most part, that it's really amazing. Plus I actually like Smash Run, which is another plus.
Just speaking of online it's missing a ton of options most importantly a social feature that either lets you friend randoms or send invites to friends, any other mode aside from 1v1 matches are almost guaranteed to lag via slide show or horrendous input lag and the match making system is consistent with putting you against randomly skilled players

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
We all knew when the real version came it would blow the 3DS one out of the water, stop acting surprised xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom