• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I just need some tips on the basics please

Dr. Styles

Smash Rookie
I haven't played Melee in forever, and I just picked it up again. In the past when I played a lot more, I was working on mastering wavedashing and L-cancelling, but I was also using a old gamecube controller and I would use "the claw" form, or so I've heard it called. It's where I use Y and R. But the thing was broken for the most part for a few reasons. So I bought one of those new controllers Nintendo was selling when SSB4 came out, and I'm having a hard time using the same form, so I'm starting to use X and L now, but it's really hard for me to pick up on. Any tips on re-learning to wavedash?

TTRO

Smash Rookie
I was in a similar situation recently, using the new Smash 4 controllers for melee. The downside with them is the increased tension on the spring in the L and R buttons, making wavedashing slightly harder/more awkward. I purchased an original 1st party controller off of amazon, and it has been so much better for me. The only downside is that some say the sticks are inferior, but this problem is negligible compared to the L and R buttons.

Dr. Styles

Smash Rookie
I was in a similar situation recently, using the new Smash 4 controllers for melee. The downside with them is the increased tension on the spring in the L and R buttons, making wavedashing slightly harder/more awkward. I purchased an original 1st party controller off of amazon, and it has been so much better for me. The only downside is that some say the sticks are inferior, but this problem is negligible compared to the L and R buttons.
I was thinking of doing the same. Do you think its possible to have the best of both worlds, and get a custom?

TTRO

Smash Rookie
yes, I've also heard it is possible to replace the back shell of the new sm4sh controllers with an older 1st party one. The only problem with this is that if it breaks, you will have to repeat the process with a new controller, where I found it simpler to just learn the old 1st party controller, because the stick is not that bad.

Dr. Styles

Smash Rookie
yes, I've also heard it is possible to replace the back shell of the new sm4sh controllers with an older 1st party one. The only problem with this is that if it breaks, you will have to repeat the process with a new controller, where I found it simpler to just learn the old 1st party controller, because the stick is not that bad.
Indeed lol the old ones are the best

Top Bottom