• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have an annoying time dealing with Mario, Tips please?

Smashfan61

Smash Cadet
I hate to sound bad here. But I could use some advice on countering Mario. He seems to give me an annoying time. The Dthrow + Utilts combo just f**ck me up at low %, and it seems that there's a lot of moves that have priority over mine. And then there is the cape and the fireballs which aggravate the situation even more. His Cape really annoys me. His Up B also annoys me a lot when I try to punish him offstage. I also get screwed over by his Dash attack into grab when I go into shield from blocking Dash attack.

Maybe I suck. But I'm asking for advice here really. I'm still in training and I admit my skills are rusty, any tips against Mario? I use several characters. But Pikachu is my top main.

Last edited:

Zanroff

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zanroff
3DS FC
4570-9437-2607
I feel ya man. Same here. Best I can figure atm is don't get grabbed. I just fought a pretty tough Mario that did a lot of the U-Tilt (How I found this post). I realized that I may have been playing too aggressively (I am a natural defensive player anyway). Backing off a bit seemed to help. I eventually was able to beat him in one game. Something a friend told me is to wait until they attack, then punish. That was on melee, but still applies. Fake them out. Act like your going to attack and don't. They react to your non-attack then you hit them. I'm finding that patience goes a long way. Keep them guessing and "don't get hit".

Mashing buttons doesn't help, if you didn't already know.

EZdelFresco

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaliKid_E
I suggest you got to the Pikachu character match up discussions and talk about it. Us Mario mains would rather die than give you the secrets to our defeat.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
If your character has any moves that are invincible on startup or are just quick in general, you can use them in order to get out of Mario's Utilt strings. Since you're using Pikachu I'm not sure if Quick Attack could get you out of the string, but you should be able to outmaneuver Mario anyway with Pika.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Pikachu out ranges him on the ground and probably can Nair out of Utilt strings. Also Mario doesn't really have good tools around Pikachu's way superior edgeguard game. Go deep and harass him before he can UpB.

Slow the game down and focus on beating him with pokes and grabs especially since Pikachu has better grab reward than Mario overall. Then edgeguard him to death. This matchup realistically should be in your favor.

Last edited:

Smashfan61

Smash Cadet
Pikachu out ranges him on the ground and probably can Nair out of Utilt strings. Also Mario doesn't really have good tools around Pikachu's way superior edgeguard game. Go deep and harass him before he can UpB.

Slow the game down and focus on beating him with pokes and grabs especially since Pikachu has better grab reward than Mario overall. Then edgeguard him to death. This matchup realistically should be in your favor.
Thanks for the tips dude, I'll be keeping this in mind.

Top Bottom