• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but there a really easy way for Dedede to get rid of Luma

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
If you just do a Down Throw or Up Throw(preferably up throw since it sends Rosa higher which gives you more time), and then instead of following up on Rosa just do a Down Smash immediately after the throw it will send Luma pretty far if Luma isn't separated from Rosa and KO Luma. Tbqh most Rosa players don't use the Neutral B anyway since its best to have Luma in front so this should work pretty much all the time if you manage to get a grab. If you're anywhere that isn't center stage it should usually get rid of Luma or at the very least put some good damage on Luma.

If you're facing away from the ledge you can do Up Throw -> Side B, if you move forward a small amount enough to hit Luma with the Hammer hitbox of Gordo Toss it will send Luma backwards. But as you probably know Side B isn't the fastest move so this won't work if Rosa immediately calls back Luma so this method isn't the most reliable and kinda situational.

If Luma doesn't fall off, 4 down smashes has enough damage to just kill Luma at full health, but getting 4 grabs kind of seems like alot. So an alternative is Up Throw -> Forward Smash, you might get punished afterwards but it does more damage on Luma and will kill Luma after 3 forward smashes at full health which is still a lot of grabs but the point of this is to not have to kill Luma based on health.

This makes getting grabs in the Rosa matchup extremely important and 1 grab is usually all you need to get rid of Luma at any time for the most part.

Its a pretty basic concept and something I've been doing recently that made the Rosa matchup a bit easier. Its nothing huge or complicated and may not even be optimal or new but its something that works for me so I thought I would share in case you guys didn't know

Last edited:

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
Yeah F-Tilt is also possible, but it lasts a lot longer than Down Smash which will most likely get you punished before the last hitbox that actually sends Luma away and I don't think it sends Luma as far.

But yeah you can follow up with a lot of moves D-Tilt is a good one too and technically the fastest option since its Frame 6. It doesn't send Luma very far though so you probably only want to do it when you're near the ledge

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Yeah F-Tilt is also possible, but it lasts a lot longer than Down Smash which will most likely get you punished before the last hitbox that actually sends Luma away and I don't think it sends Luma as far.
It's faster than down smash and doesnt require some silly grab setup. Plus, why worry about sending luma away when you could just kill it? Ftilt is really good for that.

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
Oh you just mean a raw F-Tilt? Well yeah that could work too but yeah you could still get hit out of F-Tilt before the final hitbox that has knockback. And F-Tilt doesn't knock Luma as far as Down Smash.

And its technically not faster when you consider that F-Tilt comes out frame 12 yes, but the actual hitbox that has knockback comes out frame 23, Down Smash comes out frame 14.

I'm not saying this is the end all be all way of getting rid of Luma or anything lol because Dedede has plenty of ways to get rid of Luma, I'm just saying that this is a simple and clean way to get rid of Luma without having to get punished and it can get rid of Luma almost anywhere on the stage since Down Smash knocks Luma

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I still dont understand this fixation with knocking luma away as opposed to outright killing it, since rosalina can just recall luma on a whim.

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
F-Tilt does less damage than Down Smash though so it doesn't kill Luma faster either. It takes 6 F-Tilts to kill Luma and 4 Down Smashes to kill Luma.

And knocking Luma away does kill Luma if you knock it off stage, the point of using Down Smash is because it knocks Luma farther away which will typically be offstage which will kill Luma lol

And Down Smash after Down Throw hits Luma before Rosa can call it back

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
F-Tilt does less damage than Down Smash though so it doesn't kill Luma faster either. It takes 6 F-Tilts to kill Luma and 4 Down Smashes to kill Luma.

And knocking Luma away does kill Luma if you knock it off stage, the point of using Down Smash is because it knocks Luma farther away which will typically be offstage which will kill Luma lol
Ftilt is safer. Plus, why would you want to stale your fastest kill move?

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
You literally won't get punished if you do Down Throw/Up Throw -> Down Smash since Rosa is too far and in hitstun, especially Up Throw since it sends Rosa farther. And F-Tilt isn't entirely a safe move either, its actually pretty easy to punish.

And you won't stale Down Smash too much since you won't be using it a lot anyway and Rosa is pretty light as it is it won't matter too much, but either way if you look at all of Rosa's matchups she typically loses to the characters that can easily get rid of Luma, which is why she loses those matchups. Rosa is a lot weaker without Luma and loses a lot of options and tons of kill power so when I play against Rosa I always make it a priority to get rid of Luma but maybe thats just me.

But I'm not really trying to argue I was just sharing a good tactic that I use against a character that I don't really like playing against and I'm sure most Dedede players would take any advantage they can over Rosa. Once again I don't think its the end all be all of getting rid of Luma, F-Tilt is a great option too in the neutral and I use it a lot against Rosa as well.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Cool. A neat tactic against Rosa, I like your creativity and thought there. Definitely a viable option when you get a grab on her, especially if you're near the edge. Makes for a way easier time outspacing her landing too.

Just for future reference, try to keep character specific stuff like this to the general matchup thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom