• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I did something really weird with PK Thunder 2...

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Sad thing is, I couldn't manage to replicate or record it. So you'll just have to take my word for it.

Basically, I was mucking around with Lucas's PK Thunder 2, trying to find the fastest way to fire it off. I was on Final Destination and about a normal jump's height off the level, and I used PK thunder to hit myself diagonally into the ground.

Normally this causes Lucas to slide across the ground. HOWEVER, for whatever reason this time, I just stopped and started walking in the other direction, as if the entire attack had been canceled as I touched the ground.

I tried and tried to replicate it, but I couldn't get it to do that again.

I'm pretty sure I was nowhere near my opponent either, so I don't think I got hit out of the move. And even then, the transition was INSTANT.

If we could figure out how to do this with Lucas, then surely Ness must be able to do it too, and that would be awesome.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
This sounds like a ledge cancelled PKT2. By shooting PKT2 directly into the point where you would go into your teetering animation, you can cancel the move entirely allowing Ness or Lucas to do anything else. But you didn't mention being near a ledge.

Where exactly were you on the stage? Were you toward the left or the right side? What was the approximate angle that you fired in and in what direction? No projectiles could have possibly hit you?

Powda

Smash Apprentice
Which character were you up against.

If TL an arrow hitting you would do this.

edit - also what might help us figure out what happened....which way were u facing when the PKT hit you...meaning did you hit your back or front with it?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Hmm. Honestly if I had to guess I'd say it was a freak glitch. I've experienced something weird like this where I actually bounced off the middle platform of battlefield (rather than sliding or floorblasting) but could never replicate it. PKT2 is kind of a messed up move in Brawl so it wouldn't be all that surprising that it would have anomolies such as these. But if anyone is able to replicate this I'll definetly look into what could have caused it.

Delgato

Smash Rookie
It is possible that you were just far enough away that the move have ended just a pixel or two above the ground, giving you a more or less unnoticeable short fall, which then just appear like you cancelled out of it.
Any idea how far you traveled through the air?

Levitas

the moon
It would be sweet if someone figured out all the stipulations for bouncing off of edges and floors, as well as cancelling the pkt2 like this to make lucas's pkt2 more mindgames intensive than pikachu's QAC. Especially with the sliding PKT2.

Of course, I seriously doubt that anyone could have enough tech skill to do this precisely enough even if the pattern were found. I suspect it requires extreme spacing and depends on which way lucas is facing, so it'd be like trying to shoot a dime from 500 m with a bullet that has a red dot on it, and the bullet needs to hit the dime while that dot is facing up.

Or it's a freak glitch that cannot be explained other than an anomaly in the wii trying to read code.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Considering I've only come across anything even remotely like this in all my ridiculous amount of time testing various aspects of PKT2 I really doubt that it could be reliably repeated even if it's not a freak glitch. So yeah as Levitas says. But who knows I could be wrong and there's some minor aspect of this that we've all looked over.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
This was on FD right?
So you shot down at the stage at an angle and started walking away huh?

How high were you and how steep was the angle?

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
This was on FD right?
So you shot down at the stage at an angle and started walking away huh?

How high were you and how steep was the angle?
Lol, I so read "how high were you" the wrong way.

My vote is for it being an irreplicate anomaly.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I was abut a full jump's height off the stage, and shot down at a steep diagonal down angle.

But there was no slide time on the ground at all. As soon as Lucas touched the ground, he didn't bounce or anything, he just started walking in the direction I held.

And the PKThunder2 didn't cancel naturally. It had only traveled about half the length it normally goes.

Freak glitch no doubt.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
You were off the stage? That means you shot back down at the stage right?

Tyr, do you think this could have to do with ledgebending perhaps? I'm guessing not since he was only a jump high, but maybe hitting with it the right way could cancel lag maybe since you are bouncing around the stage, and bouncing cancels PKT2 and lets you walk right when you land.

You didn't answer 1 part NEsSBOUNDER. Was this on FD?

Fredd

Smash Apprentice
You were off the stage? That means you shot back down at the stage right?

Tyr, do you think this could have to do with ledgebending perhaps? I'm guessing not since he was only a jump high, but maybe hitting with it the right way could cancel lag maybe since you are bouncing around the stage, and bouncing cancels PKT2 and lets you walk right when you land.

You didn't answer 1 part NEsSBOUNDER. Was this on FD?

This should answer your question,

NESSBOUNDER said:
Sad thing is, I couldn't manage to replicate or record it. So you'll just have to take my word for it.

Basically, I was mucking around with Lucas's PK Thunder 2, trying to find the fastest way to fire it off. I was on Final Destination and about a normal jump's height off the level, and I used PK thunder to hit myself diagonally into the ground.

Normally this causes Lucas to slide across the ground. HOWEVER, for whatever reason this time, I just stopped and started walking in the other direction, as if the entire attack had been canceled as I touched the ground.

I tried and tried to replicate it, but I couldn't get it to do that again.

I'm pretty sure I was nowhere near my opponent either, so I don't think I got hit out of the move. And even then, the transition was INSTANT.

If we could figure out how to do this with Lucas, then surely Ness must be able to do it too, and that would be awesome.

:]

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I don't know what the programmers were on when they made some of the things on these stages. It really is just completely illogical. Sometimes when I was trying to ledgebend I'd get caught for a second in this small area just past the right ledge. Lucas would literally be shaking back and forth in the terrain for a second before flying back up. Another time on Smashville I was trying to ledgebend and I shot myself entirely through the stage to my death. Right through solid ground with PKT2. I already metioned earlier my one time experience of bouncing off a platform on Battlefield rather than sliding.

Why does this stuff happen? Maybe Nintendo just hired some new intern who put this idiotic little detail in. Maybe they were so rushed to get Brawl out that they never fixed this huge flaw in the physics of all their stages. Maybe they were just too dumb to playtest the game enough to realize it and fix it. Who knows?

It's very likely that this is simply another freak accident due to bad programming.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
lol yes, science corrupted by the freak mutation that is Brawl. We don't have a chance at really understanding what's going on in most cases without AR. Best we can do is educated guesses right now.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I was pretty sure they had to change developers when they made Brawl, so its somewhat expected that glitches like this occur, but if you have ever played with stage builder levels...the terrain there is beyond just a little bit glitchy...

GofG

Smash Champion
Here is what I want to know. What were the developers on when they named momentum "Kinetic Energy" instead of "momentum"? It does nothing but make their code more bulky.

(Btw, I've been away from the lucas boards for a while, figured this would be a great way to let you guys know what I've been doing. Which is, of course, hacking brawl.)

Top Bottom