• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can't find whats so good about Melee.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
LMAO. Wavedashing was a great spacing tool and added a lot of depth to the gameplay.

Have you even PLAYED Melee?
Says the guy claiming it's now past its prime like it's in decline or something because Brawl has taken over SWF calling it overly technical. IMO, Melee's easier than most fighters and fighters, well, good ones, are in general hard to ****ing play.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Well, it should have been killed off by now and replaced by a newer one, but it's still a great game. I agree that's it's much easier than most fighters.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
That's because, I'm guessing, you never bothered to learn any ATs.

Without knowledge of the basics, such as wavedashing and L-canceling, it's boring as ****.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
My general point:

Good sequel=melee killed
bad sequel(reality)= we're playing a previous game that's old as ****

The fault lies with Sakurai.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I don't know how many times I have to repeat this:

MELEE IS A GREAT GAME, BUT IT'S OLD AS ****!

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Foxblaze gets mad at old school games?

That game still continues to be played at apex lol. It never gets old.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
It's not a problem, it's just sad we don't have a new one. As I've said before, Melee vs Brawl debates are ********, since Melee fans have Melee, and Brawl fans have Brawl ( and, if they have any sense in their thick skulls, Project M. )

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
My general point:

Good sequel=melee killed
bad sequel(reality)= we're playing a previous game that's old as ****

The fault lies with Sakurai.
Video games need to be viewed as art, something we have OPINIONS of and enjoy differently. And do not treat the Smash series like most franchises that developers only take a year or so on in order to make a previous version the same just with more content. Smash likes to revolutionize each time and make something new, not make a Melee 2 or a 64 2. Sooo even after the fourth one comes out, people will still be playing all of them, but when a shooter sequel comes out, almost all players will jump onto the new boat.

That's because, I'm guessing, you never bothered to learn any ATs.

Without knowledge of the basics, such as wavedashing and L-canceling, it's boring as ****.
Subjective again. I enjoyed the game immensely and I vowed to not use wavedashing against anyone or learn what techniques others used and just tried to master my own instincts and style, and I actually got pretty decent.

Also, stop assuming all Melee non-fans aren't fans because they aren't good at it, that is a very shallow assumption as if the "Brawl is not competitive and Melee is" is the only tool in which you use to light up any statement.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Brawl is a non-competitive game. It's just a party game targeted at casualnoobgamers.
It doesn't have much depth and cannot even begin to be called a real fighter.

Melee, however, is a game that can be enjoyable by both noobs AND pros. It keeps the item filled FFA that pretty much defines Smash, but also is very tech-oriented and balanced.

As I've mentioned time and time again, Project M is the closest Brawl and Melee fans will get to a compromise (although it's really biased towards Melee, but that's not a bad thing to me.)

Melee techs were not necessary to win a casual match, but they made the game much better, and IMO, more enjoyable.

If you don't think so, ask some Falcon mains about Melee vs. Brawl.

Channighan

Smash Ace
64: Spacing/Combos
Melee: Offensive/Technical (kinda)
Brawl: Mindgames/Defensive style of playing.

When you play all 3, they can transfer to eachother while you're playing another. Win-win.

:phone:

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
64: Spacing/Combos
Melee: Offensive/Technical (kinda)
Brawl: Mindgames/Defensive style of playing.

When you play all 3, they can transfer to eachother while you're playing another. Win-win.

You insinuating Melee isn't about spacing, mindgames, and doesn't have characters that can zone like a mother****er, ie, play super defensively?

Good one. Yes, Brawl has mindgames because there's like no ****ing combos so you have to hope your random spaced poke hits without you getting hit by their poke, man that's way deeper than anything Melee has to offer 'mindgame' wise. What does Brawl have that somehow places a value on mindgames more than Melee does other than it NOT REWARDING YOU VERY MUCH FOR SUCCESSFUL HITS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Also lolololol you cannot play 2-3 of those and expect to do as well as someone who spent all that time focusing on one game. M2K suffered because he played a lot of Brawl, that's pretty much undeniable ****ing fact.

God this board is so misinformed it's not even funny.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
You insinuating Melee isn't about spacing, mindgames, and doesn't have characters that can zone like a mother****er, ie, play super defensively?

Good one. Yes, Brawl has mindgames because there's like no ****ing combos so you have to hope your random spaced poke hits without you getting hit by their poke, man that's way deeper than anything Melee has to offer 'mindgame' wise. What does Brawl have that somehow places a value on mindgames more than Melee does other than it NOT REWARDING YOU VERY MUCH FOR SUCCESSFUL HITS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Also lolololol you cannot play 2-3 of those and expect to do as well as someone who spent all that time focusing on one game. M2K suffered because he played a lot of Brawl, that's pretty much undeniable ****ing fact.

Chill dude. Chill. I think he was showing main focus points at any rate, but that is beside point. Whether one is "more competitive" by fighting game standards, all can be viewed as a competitive platform for all three games you can be exceptionally good at and have strategies, whether you like them or not.

And who knew playing a game with a different engine would make you rusty in a different one? Surprise surprise~

Misinformed equals different opinion? I think not.

Mastermooseman

Smash Cadet
Subjective again. I enjoyed the game immensely and I vowed to not use wavedashing against anyone or learn what techniques others used and just tried to master my own instincts and style, and I actually got pretty decent.

Also, stop assuming all Melee non-fans aren't fans because they aren't good at it, that is a very shallow assumption as if the "Brawl is not competitive and Melee is" is the only tool in which you use to light up any statement.
lol irony

10char -for the record, I can finally say Brawl is okay now a days. But Melee turned to be really fun for me, I played it like you without knowing the techniques, but got back into it after knowing how cool it was with pro Melee videos. YOU LITERALLY FLY AROUND THE SCREEN'S PLATFORMS WITH SLIDING, IT'S LIKE DRAGON BALL Z MATRIX. Only other cool game feelings like that are traveling around in Spider man, Super man returns, and GTA with Flying car codes. I feel cool playing melee, and being able to get in the mode (especially with the space animals) and ****ing someone over. Like if I were to play you, oh you gonna jump? DAIR L CANCLE SHINE JUMP DAIR, oh you landed huh, shoot those lasers in your face, oh you shieldin? DOUBKLE SHINE DOUBLE SHINE DAIR DAIR GRAB f-throw YOUR OFF THE StagE REVERSE SHINE BAIRRRRR. You can also FEEL when your playing someone else who's in the mode (unless it's a Fox ditto on FD, b/c then it gets too dash dance grab heavy); but in Brawl I'm just a floating ****ball, everything's in slow motion and you can't feel dominating "oh I'm gonna float over there now yeah, oh yeah hes missing his attacks on me, think i'm gonna go grab that ledge over there now, yeah this ledge is so good ima grab it again then float some more, maby I'll air dodge some more while i throw out this side attack". Watching Videos of Melee Pros face off is so awesome too, especially Mango he is so super cool. Mango is the super coolest he makes new techniques and changes his Falco costume to blue when he chooses to put himself in the mode, or more like the super mode. He's like Neo in the matrix. Armada is pretty cool too.

It is also hard to Short hop with Fox at first, try it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
this thread is dumb lol

all of the games take skill
brawl is just less fun to the majority of people who are actually good at melee, so there's no point in playing a less fun game when melee is there
& i like these november/december 2011 join date posters lol

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Chill dude. Chill. I think he was showing main focus points at any rate, but that is beside point. Whether one is "more competitive" by fighting game standards, all can be viewed as a competitive platform for all three games you can be exceptionally good at and have strategies, whether you like them or not.

And who knew playing a game with a different engine would make you rusty in a different one? Surprise surprise~

Misinformed equals different opinion? I think not.
How could they not realize it would hurt them? When they see their character, as Moose said, just a floating ****ball, I'm sure many good Melee players ran for the hills. It's like seeing an over at 400 degrees, frying your hand on it, and thinking it wasn't your fault.

lol irony

10char -for the record, I can finally say Brawl is okay now a days. But Melee turned to be really fun for me, I played it like you without knowing the techniques, but got back into it after knowing how cool it was with pro Melee videos. YOU LITERALLY FLY AROUND THE SCREEN'S PLATFORMS WITH SLIDING, IT'S LIKE DRAGON BALL Z MATRIX. Only other cool game feelings like that are traveling around in Spider man, Super man returns, and GTA with Flying car codes. I feel cool playing melee, and being able to get in the mode (especially with the space animals) and ****ing someone over. Like if I were to play you, oh you gonna jump? DAIR L CANCLE SHINE JUMP DAIR, oh you landed huh, shoot those lasers in your face, oh you shieldin? DOUBKLE SHINE DOUBLE SHINE DAIR DAIR GRAB f-throw YOUR OFF THE StagE REVERSE SHINE BAIRRRRR. You can also FEEL when your playing someone else who's in the mode (unless it's a Fox ditto on FD, b/c then it gets too dash dance grab heavy); but in Brawl I'm just a floating ****ball, everything's in slow motion and you can't feel dominating "oh I'm gonna float over there now yeah, oh yeah hes missing his attacks on me, think i'm gonna go grab that ledge over there now, yeah this ledge is so good ima grab it again then float some more, maby I'll air dodge some more while i throw out this side attack". Watching Videos of Melee Pros face off is so awesome too, especially Mango he is so super cool. Mango is the super coolest he makes new techniques and changes his Falco costume to blue when he chooses to put himself in the mode, or more like the super mode. He's like Neo in the matrix. Armada is pretty cool too.

It is also hard to Short hop with Fox at first, try it.
This is both stupid and true.

this thread is dumb lol

all of the games take skill
brawl is just less fun to the majority of people who are actually good at melee, so there's no point in playing a less fun game when melee is there
& i like these november/december 2011 join date posters lol
This is another great point. If you play Melee and UNDERSTAND it, you're going to enjoy it, whether you think you would or not. And, you'll develop deep dissent for Brawl.

http://boards.ign.com/super_smash_bros_/b5213/160595162/p1/

Channighan

Smash Ace
You insinuating Melee isn't about spacing, mindgames, and doesn't have characters that can zone like a mother****er, ie,

Showing the main points. Yes, I do know that melee has everything I just listed. When majority of people who play Melee play, they think aggressively, even in the lead. There have been so many upsets because they can't slow down the pace and play defensively, and they're majority Fox/Falco players. They have lasers.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
That's literally the gist of every Brawl and Melee debate, SM.:applejack:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
^^^

/Obvious Brawl bias

Melee was a great technical fighter, but noobs enjoy it as well.

Those that weren't tainted by Brawl, anyway.

Melee allowed for different playstyles, making competitive playing much more interesting. In Brawl, it's take a poke-defend-camp-et cetera.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
That is basically what I was saying. Far too subjective to even care about and not intelligent enough to be considered a discussion.

Channighan

Smash Ace
^^^

/Obvious Brawl bias

Melee was a great technical fighter, but noobs enjoy it as well.

Those that weren't tainted by Brawl, anyway.

Melee allowed for different playstyles, making competitive playing much more interesting. In Brawl, it's take a poke-defend-camp-et cetera.
No, I like Melee more.

ZelDan

Smash Master
competeive Melee > competitive Brawl

but I still do like playing brawl competitively, not that I do it much since now since my Friends hate competitive brawl and really only care for competitive melee, lol.

Oh my god. It's been three ****ing months and this thread still hasn't been dropped.

Guys, I'm sure all of you have been in enough Brawl vs. Melee debates by now to know how this ends right? It doesn't. Are you, I don't know, bored of this discussion? :Z

link2702

Smash Champion
mmm just skimmed through a few posts...

its the players own fault for not wanting to use any advanced techs, don't label the game as bad just because you don't want to learn something, you refuse to learn how to use L-cancelling and wavedashing, fine, but thats your own fault

annnd both said tactics do add depth to the games

more options=more depth.

with that being said, people were gonna be pissed about brawl bc it removed said options, and basically took and made everything more shallow, basically it was nintendo's way of giving the middle finger to players who enjoyed the competitive depth smash used to have...

one other last thign

so help me if i see another casual/non-competitive list L-cancelling as a GLitch when it was completely intentional since smash64, I'ma shoot someone, honestly the fact that there are people here on SWF THAT STILL THINK ITS A GLITCH..is just sad.....but its not just here though(although it is pitiful that the main site for competitive smash still has a few misinformed people here) lots of other sites ive been to today when melee is brought up "hmph it just revolves around those glitches L-cancelling and wavedashing" and my reaction *facepalm* then i have to go on another rant explaining why neither of those were ever glitches....

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I just love how all the supposed Melee lovers here clearly barely even ****in' play Melee, unless they just spend all day playing other casuals and level 9's.

Also, link2702, l cancelling is not a tactic.
._.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's also not a gif.
Not even the .gif extension lolol.

link2702

Smash Champion
meh..you know what i was trying to say.

point is I'm annoyed how there are still people out there who think L-cancelling was a glitch.

Top Bottom