• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can not SHDL for the life of me.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
I mained Falco in Melee, but I've never been able to adjust to him in Brawl. I tried him out and just didn't like the style, but now I've sort of came back to him. I'm trying to practice the various tech skills, and I can not just get this SHDL down so it hits kirby like it should. (tried following the video that's on here.) I just can't see where's the point I should hit B twice. I can SH single laser pretty consistently (the one where the blaster doesn't make a sound) but not like I could in Melee.

Where should I be hitting B and how fast should I do it in Falco's short hop?

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, thanks, that was the thread I was referring to. I still can't seem to get the timing right on the double laser. His post isn't that descriptive on it.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
You could just try it in Training, adjust the Speed until you get the hang of it.

DR809

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3754-7546-8239
sh shot laser at peak of the jump shot again while fast falling. I feel u I had to make a thread to just to get it down and practice it alot in training

zamz

Smash Journeyman
I never fastfall when SHDLing.

It's simple. Short hop into the air, wait until Falco reaches the height of his jump, then quickly hit the B button twice. You'll watch your character double lasor. Now, Falco probably shot two lasors high above your opponent's head. Fix this. Adjusting the speed of hitting the B button. Shoot the first lasor at the same time you did last time (at the height of Falco's jump), but now wait a fraction of a second before hitting the B button a second time. You'll see his last lasor is a little bit lower. Keep adjusting the second lasor until:l the first lasor goes above Ganondorf's head, but the second lasor is low enough to hit Kirby.

Once you have the timing down and you know how to correctly lasor, it's just getting used to the rythm. This takes practice. Continually SHDL and correct yourself when you do it wrong. The more you get used to the process, the easier it becomes. Don't expect to try for 1 minute and have it down. Nonono. This'll take many, many games of practice. And if you practice long enough, it'll become second nature.

null55

Smash Master
The best way to describe it is a short hop, quick pause, press B twice. None of it is super fast or super slow. Get a Kirby in Training mode and understand timing of the buttons by listening closely to the time between each each button click. If second laser is too far over Kirby's head, you know the last click has to come later, etc.

I found it easier to do a turn around shdl when I was first learning the technique. Sounds weird, I know, but once you shove the control stick backwards, a perfect amount of time has passed for you to immediately press the B button.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
I liked Melee better when SHL was easy as hell.

Also, I can't boost smash as consistently with Falco as I can with Snake (I guess there's more frames to do Snake's? I don't know the frame science of the game) I can always Gatling combo (the timing is slower), but a lot of the times Falco won't dash when I hit down on the C stick (I think this has something to do with the C stick not resetting to neutral or registering or whatever.)

Kazon

Smash Cadet
I liked Melee better when SHL was easy as hell.

Also, I can't boost smash as consistently with Falco as I can with Snake (I guess there's more frames to do Snake's? I don't know the frame science of the game) I can always Gatling combo (the timing is slower), but a lot of the times Falco won't dash when I hit down on the C stick (I think this has something to do with the C stick not resetting to neutral or registering or whatever.)
it helped me a lot, when i set the R button to attack, because Z i sometimes just used to boost grab instead of boost smashing.
the only problem with that is, that i cant change the bindings to this in tourneys.

but thats not your problem whatsoever, u have problems with the timing, if i understood u right, and as always, getting the timing is just a matter of practice

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Are you sure your hitting the opponent when you use your Dash Attack? That's the only way you'll be able to perform the Gattling Combo.

As for Snake, you don't have to hit anyone when using it.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I have boost smash/gatling down pretty much consistently. I still can't consistently SHDL Kirby after even maybe 3-4 hours of practice. Bah.

My problem was that Falco would not dash attack, and would just do a hyphen smash when I hit up - z, but I think I got it fixed by slamming on the C stick harder.

Top Bottom