• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I broke my controller in a way I didn't think was possible

Aftermath

Smash Champion
I've had the same controller for a long time, swapping out the motherboard and rubber pads as the control sticks become too loose and the buttons too soft, but I've always kept my L and R buttons from my first controller, as they've felt the nicest, spring tension-wise. But last weekend I was playing some friendlies after a tournament and noticed my character roll like six or seven times in a row, I assumed I just was holding in R a tiny bit or something, but when I did the same thing again, I knew something was wrong. So I tested it out and found that my L button wouldn't click in anymore, and judging by the fact that I was getting a ton of rolls, figured it somehow got sticky and was stuck down.

However, when I opened it up, I saw that something different happened, the L button punched a hole right through the rubber pad, and quite cleanly too. Normally when I play, someone might comment on how loud my controller is, which is because I hit the buttons pretty hard, and for the L button I slam my index down on it as fast as possible, never worrying about something like this happening. I've never heard of this sort of thing happening before, so I thought I'd take some pictures to showcase the damage.

This is how it looks when put together normally, my L button is on the left and a normal L is on the right.

Notice the total collapse of the rubber pad that's supposed to push the black switch thing up after each button press.

Here's a view of just the rubber pads, the broken one is on the right this time.

After I fixed that part and was putting it back together, I noticed something else, I actually broke off a part on the controller shell that holds the L spring in place, meaning I must have been hitting it ridiculously hard.

Here's a picture of a normal controller (purple for better lighting), with the circle being what I broke on mine.

And then here's mine. Note that my controller is modded cosmetically (so try not to ask about that), so that's why there are some stray wires. It's sort of hard to see, but just know that what is supposed to be there most assuredly is not.

So yeah, luckily the broken plastic won't matter too much because of the piece that holds that L button in from the top, and the entire thing didn't take long to fix.

Button mashers beware though, you might do the same thing eventually.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
That has never happened to me, but I'm surprised it hasn't since I have 2 controls I let my button smash happy friend use.

WingedApple

Smash Rookie
Just a month or so ago my A button sank into the controller, while the B and Y buttons got a bit higher. You can't press the A button there anymore..

Now this other stupid controller won't work because it always moves up and down. I don't think its a third party controller either.

Anyways I'm a button masher. I only use c stick in aerials... I'll try to watch out for that.
Again.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
James play like me, "QUICK AND NIMBLE". Ive had one of my controllers since the beginning of GC and it works like a peach. Then again you're super anal about the feel of a controller lololol.

My only nit pick is mashed down buttons wifh no more spring... er hem james. Or the ridiculously mashed up analog sticks with the rings worn down to nothing and resistance in the movement (see SS's controller).

Crazy masher kid.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
dont you play samus? rolling 6 times in a row must suck lol

when you get a new controller, why dont you just replace the spring, cause thats what you need
Well, luckily the only thing that was really broken was that rubber pad, so it's already fixed and hopefully I won't have to get a new controller for quite some time.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
My control stick is a bit woobly on one of my controllers due to months of playing smash. It's the only game I know of that damages controllers. :(

Tera253

Smash Ace
Tera made her friend's controller behvae slightly erratic for about a month after mashing the A button on Starfox Assault.

~Tera253~

Ghostype

Smash Champion
I believe I've done some thing similar in results or worse to my oldest Game Cube controller. I recently had to completely abandon it, but everyone who saw it close up seemed amazed that I was using it at all.

The L button malfunctioned in a way similar to yours, one of the jump buttons was sticking, the cstick would become stuck in one position....I think I still have it for historic purposes. Most ruined GC controller in Maryland. But it was so comfy until it finally began giving out.

Top Bottom