• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hub House III - San Francisco: 5/1/10

pockyD

Smash Legend
09/05/09 Results
11/21/09 Results

HUB HOUSE III
(better name is probably not coming)
BARE MINIMUM DETAILS said:
Who: You
What: Melee. $5 entry per person per event
When: Saturday, May 1, 12 p.m.
Where: San Francisco, CA; It's a house/apartment
Why: Why not?

WHEN:

May 1, Saturday
People can probably start showing up at 11 a.m., and the tournament will start at 12:00 p.m. If you are not physically present, you will NOT be entered in the tournament. If you are not physically present, you will NOT be entered in the tournament. If you are not physically present, you will NOT be entered in the tournament.

WHERE:
329 Plymouth Ave
San Francisco, CA 94112

Parking is on the street and is mildly annoying
The closest BART station is Balboa Park BART, which is about a mile away. From there, you can either take the M line to Plymouth @ Broad, or you can...
1) Walk southwest on San Jose Ave
2) Turn right on Farallones
3) Turn left on Plymouth
If it is not raining heavily, I will not pick you up from BART. If it is raining, I will grumble about it but I will probably do it.

WHAT:
MELEE singles and doubles! Any "other games" will not be played until the tournament is over, and even then, will only be allowed if we feel like it. Melee is too good; why play anything else? Other events such as "draft crews" will be done if there is popular demand.

The cost of entry is tentatively set at $5 per person per event. That means that teams will be $10 per team. Of this, we will be taking $1 out of every 5 (20%) as a venue fee of sorts, which will mostly go towards buying chairs for use in future tournaments. If you don't like it, don't come. I didn't feel like I needed to specify this until recently, but we will not be accepting any currency smaller than quarters.

Prizes will likely be 60-30-10 (out of the prize pot) for singles and 75-25 for doubles. This may vary based on the turnout, but the gist of it is that the payout structure will be kept relatively standard.

WHO:
You! This IS a house, so space is limited. Feel free to come, but don't expect it to be super spacious!

Contact info:
Kevin (pockyD) - (650) 918-9143 - AIM = 'horizonflash'
Brian (SuperRad) - (831) 359-0096

OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS:

We are going to try to put setups in the bedrooms as well. With this in mind, we anticipate having space for 8-10 setups... but not all of that can come from us. If you can bring a TV, a cube/wii, or even some chairs or extension cords, please let us know! Do note that we do live on the THIRD floor with no elevator, so keep this in mind when offering equipment

Since we might be using the bedrooms, the standard clause about respecting our stuff counts double. We will not hesitate to give you the boot or lock you on the roof if necessary. If you have trash, please throw it away. If you clog the toilet, you're disgusting, but on top of that, please let someone know right away so that we can bring it to everyone's attention and make fun of you. We have a tentative shoes-off policy in the house, so please take note of that. It mostly only matters if your shoes are dirty, so police yourselves.

Even with this in mind, we don't have infinite space, so please don't show up without talking to us first.

Food:
There is a Taqueria across the street, and assorted delis and stuff a few blocks away. If there is demand, we can get pizza or something, but there is NOT a wide selection of food in the immediate vicinity. You can NOT use the microwave or stove while the tournament is in progress. We do fully intend to go out as a group for a meal or something at the end of the tournament if time permits and there is interest.

Rule Set:
-Items OFF
-4-Stock
-8:00 Timer
-In Doubles, Life Stealing is allowed
-Sets are bo3, except for Winner's/Loser's/Grand Finals, which are bo5 matches
-Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, the players will play a 4-stock bowser ditto on brinstar depths. If that ends in a percentage tie, both players will be disqualified.
-Wobbling is allowed
-The Ice Climbers freeze glitch is banned. Mewtwo's Soul Stunner is impossible. Other traditionally banned forms of stalling (rising pound, peach bomber, walljumping under battlefield) are banned.
-KIRBY IS BANNED

STAGES:
-NOTE: IF BOTH PLAYERS/TEAMS AGREE, you can use whatever rules you want for selecting the stage, including random, random with resets, strikeout with stadium and KJ64, playing on hyrule, etc. These are the "official" rules which will be used if you cannot come to an agreement with your opponent(s).
-Game one will be chosen via stage strike. Use RPS to determine who strikes first (if controller port is an issue, then the person who loses the RPS gets to select their controller port first). The players alternate striking stages from the Stage list until there is one stage left, which will be used for game one. Stage striking will be done in 1-2-2-1 order (Player 1 strikes a stage, player 2 strikes two stages, Player 1 strikes a stage)
-Dave's Stupid Rule: No player may choose the stage they last won on
-After game one, counter-picks will be standard with the advanced slobs format. Winner bans a stage, Loser chooses a stage, Winner chooses his character, Loser chooses his character. Note: This means in a Bo5, players have the chance to change their banned stage(s) (each time before the opponent chooses a stage). More specifically, this means players are allowed to select a stage they have banned (since each stage ban only lasts for one game).

Starter Stages:
Final Destination
Dreamland 64
Battlefield
Yoshi Story
Fountain of Dreams (Singles only)
Pokemon Stadium (Teams only)

Counter-pick Stages:
Kongo Jungle 64
Pokemon Stadium (Singles)
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

Cliff Notes (since apparently I'm really wordy):
Who: You
What: Melee. $5 entry per person per event
When: Saturday, May 1, 12 p.m.
Where: San Francisco, CA; It's a house/apartment
Why: Why not?

pockyD

Smash Legend
you suck imo

ps if any of the sf-specific locals (i don't actually know who you are; rey and his friends? jeff? "eric, jeff's cousin?" I don't think any of you even check smashboards but i'm just throwing it out there just in case) want to play this sunday, i want to play! I'll come to you if necessary

SuperRad

Smash Master
just push it to the 8th imo
no, *****

you suck imo

ps if any of the sf-specific locals (i don't actually know who you are; rey and his friends? jeff? "eric, jeff's cousin?" I don't think any of you even check smashboards but i'm just throwing it out there just in case) want to play this sunday, i want to play! I'll come to you if necessary
talk to rey on aim
i can hit up eric on fb or something

remyx

Smash Cadet
Any Sf locals wanna smash anytime this upcoming week? I got work at Golden Gate Park till 1pm all week and got nothing to do afterwards.
Edit:Just melee

Orion*

Smash Researcher
i may be able to make this. i got a scholarship for a music program near oakland, so im randomly in CA this weekend. i can get to bart probably but idk my way around CA after so im kinda unsure...... i would feel a lot more comfy if someone would meet me lol XD

edit: sorry, im an inactive but ranked NJ player lmao

Zoap

Smash Master
I think I can make it, quick question though, is parking so bad on the street that I'd have to parallel park?

pockyD

Smash Legend
yes

but if that's a make or break point, you can have my garage spot (if you're driving something that would fit in there -_-)

and/or if our neighbors don't have anyone over, there's one "spot" directly in front of the door on the curb that you can park in

R00R

Smash Journeyman
Im gonna be in that area tomarrow at that ****ty brawl tourny at sfsu,
you got room for one more?

SuperRad

Smash Master
roor: Looks like we do.

EVERYONE: IF YOU CAN BRING A TV OR A CUBE/WII, PLEASE DO! [If you can't bring either, grab a copy of Melee, I think we have more systems than TVs and Discs right now].
We have THREE TVs [four if Zoap comes with one that is Kevin's]

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
someone got a ticket for parking in front of the "door spot" yesterday.

Cytos

Smash Rookie
Hey, is it okay if i Can go? This is Carlos, the tall hispanic peach player

Top Bottom