• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would you feel if we only got 'new' series reps?

How would you feel about this?

• Satisfied, because it's Super Smash Bros and it will be good no matter what!

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Satisfied, because it is good to see some other franchises get some love!

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • Satisfied, because I'm tired of Mario, Pokemon and Zelda newcomers!

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Indifferent, the characters don't matter to me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disappointed, but I'd still gladly get the game.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • Disappointed to a point where I wouldn't be interested in the game anymore.

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
The three newcomers that have already been revealed (Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Mega Man) are all representing franchises which have not yet been represented with a playable character in Smash.

My question is, how would you all feel if the only newcomers Sakurai added this time around were from new franchises? This means no characters from an existing series in Smash Bros.

Share your opinions and discuss what new-series characters you would want in.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
THE BIG LIST OF NEWCOMERS FROM UNREPPED FRANCHISES

Little Mac (Punch-out)
Isaac (Goldensun)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western)
Tingle (Tingle)
Takamaru (Nazo no Muramase-jo)
Wonder Red (Wonderful 101)
Saki (Sin & Punishment)
Andy (Advance Wars)
Goose (Pilotwings)
Nintendog (Nintendog)
Sebastian Tute (Wii Music)
Mallo (Pushmo)
Tempo (HarmoKnight)
Zael (The Last Story)
Ray (Custom Robo)
Aeron (Pandora's Tower)
Mike Jones (StarTropics)
Chibi Robo (Chibi-Robo)
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight)
Lip (Panel de Pon)
Vince (Art Academy)
Dr. Lobe (Big Brain Academy)
Starfy (The Legendary Starfy)
Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe)
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land)
Muddy Mole (Mole Mania)
Tamagon (Devil World)
Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven)
Dr. Kawashima (Brain Age)
Urban Champion (Urban Champion)
Duck-Hunt Dog (Duck Hunt)
Excite Biker (Excite Bike)
Dr. Wright (SimCity)
Captain Rainbow (Captain Rainbow)
Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight)
Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
Jill Dozer (Drill Dozer)
Sheriff (Sheriff)
Donbe & Hikari (Shin Onigashima)
Goku (YuYuki)
Demiru (Tomato Adventure)
Kururin (Kuru Kuru Kururin)
Mii (Wii)

Any third party character that isn't from Sonic, Metal Gear or Mega Man would fall under this category to.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
You forgot Tamagon.

I'd be slightly disappointed, but not much.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I'd personally settle for these newcomers:
Villager
Little Mac
Isaac
Shulk
Andy
Saki
Wii Fit Trainer
Takamaru
Mega Man
Pac-man

I'd be upset about no Toad, Palutena or K. Rool, for example, but I would definitely still be satisfied with those ten newcomers.
What about you guys? Who would you want?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Satisfied because there are WAY more Nintendo franchises that haven't been properly introduced in SSB.
And because that 95% guarantees unique movesets.

Many people were satisfied with Brawl's roster. I wasn't all that impressed. Too many sidekicks and villains for my taste. WAY too many.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Kind of in the middle. In general, I want the newcomers for this game to be mostly from unrepped series, but there are a few characters I'd like to see that are from already repped series. Palutena, Ridley and a Donkey Kong rep come to mind.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
For me, it depends. I want an equal balance of new franchises and new representatives.

Toad, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Ridley, Palutena, Tingle, Porky and Goroh are some I'd really like to see, but new franchises are a must, like Miis, Isaac, Shulk, Saki, Little Mac, Sukapon, Tamagon and Pac-Man.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
THE BIG LIST OF NEWCOMERS FROM UNREPPED FRANCHISES

Little Mac (Punch-out)
Isaac (Goldensun)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western)
Takamaru (Nazo no Muramase-jo)
Wonder Red (Wonderful 101)
Saki (Sin & Punishment)
Andy (Advance Wars)
Goose (Pilotwings)
Nintendog (Nintendog)
Mallo (Pushmo)
Tempo (HarmoKnight)
Zael (The Last Story)
Ray (Custom Robo)
Aeron (Pandora's Tower)
Mike Jones (StarTropics)
Chibi Robo (Chibi-Robo)
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight)
Lip (Panel de Pon)
Starfy (The Legendary Starfy)
Muddy Mole (Mole Mania)
Tamagon (Devil World)
Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven)
Urban Champion (Urban Champion)
Duck-Hunt Dog (Duck Hunt)
Excite Biker (Excite Bike)
Captain Rainbow (Captain Rainbow)
Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight)
Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
Jill Dozer (Drill Dozer)
Sheriff (Sheriff)
Donbe & Hikari (Shin Onigashima)
Goku (YuYuki)
Mii (Wii)

Any third party character that isn't from Sonic, Metal Gear or Mega Man would fall under this category to.
That list could use some Dr. Kawashima from Brain Age.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
I would still like some more reps for kid Icarus and fire emblem.
but I'll still be satisfied because some more new franchises would get some representation in the game.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Happy, even though there's a few characters from current franchises I want. It's an injustice that so many great and iconic Nintendo franchises don't have a character. Do the likes of Punch Out, Golden Sun, Wars and Xenoblade (to name only a few) deserve to be overlooked? Of course not.

Melee and Brawl added their fair share of new series reps, but generally they focused on current series. As the pool of really worthy characters from current series depletes more and more, the more Sakurai should be looking at characters from new franchises. As one mines materials start to dwindle, there remains another that has barely yet been tapped.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
For me, it depends. I want an equal balance of new franchises and new representatives.
Same here... here are my choices.

Newcomers for old franchises

Newcomers for new franchises

Personally I want Duck Hunt Dog, Meowth, Starfy, Tingle, Simon Belmont, etc. but I have to be objective and acknowledge that they are not very likely.

Show Me Your Moves

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1762-2678-0474
If that happens, you bet I'll scream in happiness. Bowser Jr now replaced with the true painter. :lick:

Vince for Smash Bros 4!

Foot Foot

Smash Rookie
I want an update on Pokemon, Kid Icarus, and Fire Emblem. But otherwise i'd rather new series be represented.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
I want a lot of new series but would be extremelly disappointed if king k rool, mewtwo, and ridley arent in the game

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
I have always thought that characters from new series are far more important to Smash than sidekicks and villains from currently featured franchises, because they represent a whole set of different universes, leading to original movesets, varied stages, new items, etc.

Actually, I would be happy if the roster was based only in protagonists of each series and some sidekicks from the biggest franchises (just like the way the original roster of Smash from Nintendo 64 was composed).

On another matter, i think you should add to your list the next characters:
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land), Dr. Lobe (Big Brain Academy), Kururin (Kuru Kuru Kururin), Dr. Wright (SimCity), Sebastian Tute (Wii Music), Party Phil / Woopy (Wii Party), Demiru (Tomato Adventures), Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe), Barbara the Bat (Daigasso! Band Brothers), Marina Liteyears (Mischief Makers), Lolo and Lala (Adventures of Lolo), Vince (Art Academy) and Tingle (Tingle series).

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
While I don't think they should absolutely neglect existing franchises from having newcomers (specially Mewtwo, Ridley, K. Rool, etc.), I'd be glad if they more focus on adding characters from unrepped series like Punch Out, Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, the list goes on.

Arteen

Smash Lord
That'd be great. Newcomer franchises excite me more than characters from "veteran" franchises. I'd love to see smaller series like Golden Sun and Advance Wars get representation. Newcomer franchises not only bring in unique characters, but they also bring in unique stages, music, lots of trophies, adventure mode areas, and so forth.

For "veteran" franchises, the only character I can think of that I would be excited to see is Lucina from Fire Emblem Awakening. Characters like Chrom or Lucina, King K Rool, Bowser Jr, and *insert new pokemon here* all have a good chance of getting on the roster this time, but only Lucina would get me excited, Most of the existing franchises already have strong representation as it is.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
We will have probably 8 new series following the patterns from the previews games, in fact this will be the Smash with the most new series added with playable characters only behind the first one, here is the list:

-) Villager (Animal Crossing).
-) Wii Fit Trainer (Wii Fit).
-) Little Mac (Punch Out!).
-) Miis (Nintendo Avatars, Wii Sports, Wii Party).
-) "Retro Rep" (one of these characters: Takamaru, Mach Rider, Bubbles, Lip).
-) "Historic Rep" (wild card but the pattern dictates a character like the last ones Mr. G&W and R.O.B.).
-) Mega Man (Third party).
-) Pac-Man (Third party).

From the previews series it would be the follow 5:

-) Ridley (Metroid)
-) Dixie Kong or King K. Rool (Donkey Kong series, I´m betting more in Dixie Kong, the reason is easier to develop having already a similar model in Diddy Kong).
-) Mewtwo (Pokemon, the most requested character from the West and from the East if I remember correctly).
-) Chrom (Fire Emblem, high success for the series and one of the main protagonists of the game).
-) Roy (Fire Emblem, highly requested to comeback).

With only 2 cuts:

-) Lucario (Pokemon).
-) Ike (Fire Emblem).

Making the roster of 50 playable characters.

.n_n.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't think Mewtwo is going to kick Lucario out. I'm betting for both being in, as Mewtwo was ALMOST playable in Brawl. (One was never meant to replace the other).

I also don't think Chrom's getting in, no matter how popular Fire Emblem is. The Pokemon are all EXTREMELY different from each other, Peach and Bowser are very different from Mario and Luigi in the ways they attack. I just don't see Sakurai adding yet another swordsman from the very same franchise... A new Fire Emblem rep... ok, probably likely IF Roy doesn't return, and if there is one Newcomer F.E. character, I just don't see him giving him a 100% sword-based moveset again.
I can see either Robin (Avatar) / Micaiah before a 3rd blue-haired swordsman that will either be fast like Marth, or slow/strong like Ike. But this is just what I think, of course. For all I know, we could just get a Luigified Roy, and I know I'd be alright with that.

Dixie is... a pretty good possibility. It just seems... plausible. Sakurai has a tendency of preferring sidekicks over villains by a tiny bit.
Both are almost equally relevant, though. So it's hard to predict.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I don't think Mewtwo is going to kick Lucario out. I'm betting for both being in, as Mewtwo was ALMOST playable in Brawl. (One was never meant to replace the other).

I also don't think Chrom's getting in, no matter how popular Fire Emblem is. The Pokemon are all EXTREMELY different from each other, Peach and Bowser are very different from Mario and Luigi in the ways they attack. I just don't see Sakurai adding yet another swordsman from the very same franchise... A new Fire Emblem rep... ok, probably likely IF Roy doesn't return, and if there is one Newcomer F.E. character, I just don't see him giving him a 100% sword-based moveset again.
I can see either Robin (Avatar) / Micaiah before a 3rd blue-haired swordsman that will either be fast like Marth, or slow/strong like Ike. But this is just what I think, of course. For all I know, we could just get a Luigified Roy, and I know I'd be alright with that.

Dixie is... a pretty good possibility. It just seems... plausible. Sakurai has a tendency of preferring sidekicks over villains by a tiny bit.
Both are almost equally relevant, though. So it's hard to predict.
Cuts would happen, if we saw the pattern between Melee and Brawl the series that did have more changes was Pokemon with two characters cut and four characters added (is the one with the most sums and rests, so a character that could be added or changed for another one would be this series). The other series that receive almost the same treatment was Fire Emblem and with the highly new success that has, probably will have major changes, thats why the cuts and the changes on to their roster of playable characters. Like I say, looking in to the patterns, lets see how everything will evolve in the next months and reveals.

.n_n.

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
I would be happy :) Altho the list could use: Ashley Mizuki Robbins ( Another Code ), wild gunman , sky skiper , harry and urbin champ :)

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'd be both disappointed and happy. I do think that this game should and will focus on representing more new franchises in its character additions than ever before. However, several of the characters I want most are from veteran franchises (and I felt that they were missing from Brawl). So I'd like to see both "veteran" and "newcomer" franchises given new character representation, with a higher focus on the former. It's good to have moderation, I think. Not entirely one or the other.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
I'd be a little dissapointed because Chrom is one of my most wanted newcomers.

But if Shulk and Little Mac were to get spots, I think I'd be satisfied. Just please keep Miis out, Sakurai, no matter how much sense it makes.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Kind of in the middle. In general, I want the newcomers for this game to be mostly from unrepped series, but there are a few characters I'd like to see that are from already repped series. Palutena, Ridley and a Donkey Kong rep come to mind.
This ^

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I personally would be upset, there is only a handful of possible new franchise that have characters that I want, Little Mac and Saki, of course, but you have to remember:
No Ridley
No King. K Rool
No Palutena
No new Fire Emblem Awakening rep. (which would be stupid since Area Ferox is now a new stage)
No new Pokemon rep.

As you can see it would be a huge mistake on the developer's part to not include characters from already represented series. Pokemon and Fire Emblem require updates on the more relevant characters, while some of the already represented franchises still have some very popular characters that play an important role in there respective games. On the other hand, It would also be a mistake to not include characters from a new series since between now and the time of Brawl we have seen characters "break out" into popularity. The most important thing for including characters is to have a balance between the the already represented and the new.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I'd love a focus on newer franchises over adding too many new characters from previously represented franchises.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'd be satisfied. (although it helps that three of my top 5 would be from new franchises)

Smash Bros is a celebration of Nintendo, so I think it would make sense to have a varied cast rather than focus too much on existing franchises. Maybe that means the diehard Mario fans won't get their Bowser Jr or Paper Mario, but at least more fan bases are accounted for. It seems like more of a win scenario to me.

Losing Mewtwo and Robin would be sad, but I could hardly complain if Andy/Sami, Takamaru, Lip, Dillon or Mallo fans got to be happy.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I wouldn't mind. I mean, I truly want Ridley and K Rool , but I feel like reps of unrepresented series deserve to be in SSB4 as much as them. I would love to get Takamaru (Murasame Castle), Sami (Advance Wars), Lip (Panel de Pon), Shulk (Xenoblade), Prince of Sablé and heck, it is about time to please the Golden Sun fans and give them playable Isaac. Even that Dillon dude looks cool and could be an interesting rep in the series.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

That said, I'm not expecting many new series besides the six leaked E3 characters and maybe Takamaru.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
The only Veteran-based Newcomers I want to see are the Villainous Trio (with Mewtwo not even really being a Newcomer), although I can see a new Pokemon POSSIBLY being added. Other than that, all I really want to see are Nintendo franchises with recognizable and unique characters but no rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom