• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would Riolu look in Smash 4 as DLC?

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
In Melee, as most of you know, Pichu was put in Melee as a Pikachu clone. I think it would be interesting to have another Pokemon of that style, as a pre-evolution of a Smash veteran, and come on, Igglybuff and Charmander wouldn't be good, and that leaves only Riolu. I decided, when thinking up moves for Riolu, some of his moves would be the same as Lucario's, but replacing Lucario's Aura would be Riolu's Gravitational Aura. The Gravitational Aura extends the reach of his moves to draw opponents in before hitting them. For example, Riolu's grabs can't pummel, but when you use the move, it draws a nearby opponent in, and once they reach you, you immediately input the direction you would throw them, if not, it drops them. Gravitational Aura can go up by using Riolu's moves successfully(in most cases). There are some exceptions. Gravitational Aura also doesn't power up Riolu, but instead extends the range of the gravitational effect of his moves. So, here is the moveset I have thought up for him:
Standard Special: Piercing Aura Sphere: It's one of Lucario's customs. Unaffected by Gravitational Aura.
Side Special: Undulating Force Palm: Waves of Gravitational Aura extend outward from Riolu's palm, trapping and hitting opponents several times. Hold down the button to make the move last longer, but using it too long will actually start to reduce the amount of Gravitational Aura he has.
Down Special: Phase Dash: Immediately dash forward with a charge that give you invincibility. Has much startup lag, being susceptible to grabs, but you can transition smoothly out of it at the end of the move for follow-up attacks.
Up Special: Sky Uppercut: Charge upward with a powerful, carrying uppercut. Doesn't go as far as Extremespeed. Unaffected by Gravitational Aura.
Neutral A: Stand in one spot and increase your Gravitational Aura for as long as you hold down the button. Doesn't do damage.
Forward Tilt: Lash out with your palm in front, drawing opponents towards you before hitting them again.
Forward Jab: Mirror replica of Lucario's. Unaffected by Gravitational Aura.
Down Tilt: Mirror replica of Lucario's. Unaffected by Gravitational Aura.
Up Tilt: Draw your paw up from the ground to over your head. The action draws opponents in before striking them at the end of the move.
Forward Smash: Hold your paw out in front of you, then draw opponents in more forcefully the longer it is held down. Strikes and launches at the end of the move. The power doesn't change the longer you hold it down.
Down Smash: Mirror replica of Lucario's. Unaffected by Gravitational Aura.
Up Smash: Charge up your paw to draw opponents inward, then drag your paw over your head to materialize your Gravitational Aura into a band that damages opponents repeatedly before launching them.
Nair: Shoot out little bursts of Gravitational Aura from your paws in four directions. Unaffected by Gravitational Aura.
Fair: Punch forward with both paws. Unaffected by Gravitational Aura.
Dair: Punch downward with both paws. Unaffected by Gravitational Aura.
Uair: Punch upward with both paws. Unaffected by Gravitational Aura.
Bair: Draw foes in from around you with a slow-moving spin before hitting them from behind to send them flying back.
Forward Throw: Fling an enemy in front of you. Unaffected by Gravitational Aura.
Up Throw: Throw an enemy up before using Gravitational Aura to slam them back down again.
Down Throw: Body-slam an opponent. Unaffected by Gravitational Aura.
Back Throw: Same as up throw, but done from a different angle.
Final Smash: Aura Storm: Lucario's from Brawl.
As for an overall summary, Riolu may seem pretty broken, move-wise, but he doesn't have the physics to back it up. He has mediocre jumps, mediocre running speed, a weak shield, punishable rolls, is quite light, and falls a bit fast. He may have near-broken moves, but doesn't have the physics to back it up. He can be easily dealt with if he can't get his Gravitational Aura up.

Thanks for reading, please comment,
TriforceOfAura

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I joked about it before, Riolu as a Lucario clone with no Aura mechanic, but I actually like the idea a lot now.
I would just prefer Lucario was more balanced.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
I'm a Luca main myself, and in all honesty, he does seem a bit imbalanced. Not as much as some other characters(*coughcoughCaptain Falconcoughcough*), but they DID already nerf his recovery a bit...

Top Bottom