• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would be Smash Bros.' future without Sakurai (at least as Director) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightLV

Smash Ace
People actually miss cutscenes in this game? Sakurai realizing that, "gee you know what, story mode has no place in a crossover game", is the best idea about Smash 4 period.

That time was better spent doing literally anything other than silly cutscenes. All of them were dumb in Brawl. It's impossible to make a crossover story that makes even an inkling of sense....just look at Dissidia.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
People actually miss cutscenes in this game? Sakurai realizing that, "gee you know what, story mode has no place in a crossover game", is the best idea about Smash 4 period.

That time was better spent doing literally anything other than silly cutscenes. All of them were dumb in Brawl. It's impossible to make a crossover story that makes even an inkling of sense....just look at Dissidia.
Of course people do it's a crossover so everyone wants to see character interactions. Some have already been done like :4mario: & :4wario2: and :4bowser: & the Koopalings. (Since they're from the same series.) But other ones like :4diddy: & :4fox: and :4falcon: & :4olimar: would've never happened without Smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It also doesn't help that they blatantly ignore characters at the top of the overall request lists.

"They want Mewtwo back? Naw, just throw in Wii Fit Trainer. Nobody expects her! Hardy har har."
Sakurai is the reason many of you now love Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff (outside of the anime), Ice Climbers, Sheik (as a separate character), Young Link (as a separate character), Dr. Mario (as a separate character), Pichu (your mileage may vary), Marth, Roy, the whole Fire Emblem series, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit (when he was retro), Zero Suit Samus (as a separate character), Ivysaur, Solid Snake, R.O.B., Lucas, Villager (as a fighter), Wii Fit Trainer (when nobody expected her), Palutena (after reviving Kid Icarus), Greninja (to people outside of the Pokemon fanbase), Miis (as fighters), Pac-Man (as a fighter), and he rescued the goddamn Duck Hunt Dog from the Scrappy Heap.

You people cry about how Sakurai cut Lucas and Ice Climbers when in truth, most of you never cared about those characters before Sakurai added them in Smash. If Sakurai listened only to the most popular requests and always ignored the least popular requests, you guys would never have become fans of those characters in the first place. Damn Sakurai for making us care about those least requested characters!

Strofirko

Smash Master
Since we are extending to this branch,I will drop the ball and say:
Super Smash Bros it's the only fighting game were people demands too much from the roster after each installment.
I mean into a typical fighting game the director will create a concept/fighting style and implant into a lifeless doll,those together will turn into a character,the public will evaluate how the character works,not what he looks or what he is,making easier to implant newcomer on franchises like street fighter or mortal kombat(on the latter people accepting things like freddy krueger and even requesting the predator).
Even on crossovers like UMVC3 they don't have to deal with such thing since they just have to equilibrate the roster between popular heroes and gaming characters not leaving too much to mumble about(leaving megaman to be the only real loss),or even injustice god among us where Ed boon and DC comics just had to reach on a consesus only choosing character that are the face of DC comics,or that fitted on the style of the game.
But in super smash bros...
We have a bunch of fanbases from different series(and differents characters from the same series) clashing with each other trying to get the attention from a single man that has enough trouble trying to make a game acceptable by a competitive community that is very demanding and at the same time atracct casual newcomers to the series,said that it doesn't even matter if a new character has an interesting style of gameplay,but yes the character the fanbase screamed to fit in not mattering if the result are good or not,it just has to be that character,it's like hammering a nail with your own hand,not mattering how much you try,the roster will never be perfect from the point of view of the public,and not forgetting the fact he had to make the characters work on two different games,not ports,but different games,and add that to things that the public never requested but was implemented anyway,8-player smash for example,nobody even cared about said thing,but when people saw that it was well accepted.
Summing up:When Sakurai said that is almost impossible to someone easily make a next game to the series,he was talking the truth,it's beyond a regular person to deal with such problematic community.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
They didn't add Wavedashing, they specifically said it was left in. A glitch found in production is still a glitch. They haven't made Kirby more difficult or technical without Sakurai. Infact, Kirby RtDL could of been called KSS2 with how similar it was. You remember why Sakurai left HAL? Because they kept wanting to make more of the same. HAL isn't exactly willing to mess with the winning formula, as evidenced by the new Kirbys.

The dodges being somewhat like Melee was to force grounded play and to not intrude on the hats' previous balance. Wouldn't the game be, yaknow, remotely technical by that logic? It ain't, not only because Melee wasn't by design, but because it wasn't significantly influenced by it. You're nuts if you think a HAL made SSB5 wouldn't be built off of SSB4. They make games for a primarily casual audience, and SSB is also for a casual audience. Put 2 and 2 together, common.
I know your pro-casual and you always argue about this ****, im not here to waste my time on you, I know these things. Kirby isnt a fighting game, kirby is supposed to be easy, thats a stupid thing to pull out if your arguing against me. Yes I know read the first sentence. Exactly, so they would stick to the 64/melee type feel, because thats what they're used to, and if it aint broke dont fix it.

Thats actually good, because if not, someone could easily spam air dodge and run away, dont even try to say that brawl air dodges improve offensive play, because I know what you mostly argue about on these boards, and im not gonna waste my time with you. It isnt technical because it also varies on the type on engine its run on, but you can see that its faster paced, and you can die in like 10 secs in kirby fighters. something that i wish returned to the smash series, more offensive options. I simply think they'd build off what they know, and whats left to build on? smash 4's already hit the ceiling with how casual you could make it, unless you want worse than tripping? there's nothing left to build on imo, unless you want the same thing.

Im not gonna respond futher because like I said, you seem to me like a casual elitist, but whatever.
The only problem with non-casual Smash game is that the Meleeist would grow and scare away customers because the game isn't "Made for filthy causals."
theres like barely any melee elitists, if its fun for comp, and fun for casuals (which think anything is fun btw) then i see no problems here.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I know your pro-casual and you always argue about this ****, im not here to waste my time on you, I know these things. Kirby isnt a fighting game, kirby is supposed to be easy, thats a stupid thing to pull out if your arguing against me. Yes I know read the first sentence. Exactly, so they would stick to the 64/melee type feel, because thats what they're used to, and if it aint broke dont fix it.

Thats actually good, because if not, someone could easily spam air dodge and run away, dont even try to say that brawl air dodges improve offensive play, because I know what you mostly argue about on these boards, and im not gonna waste my time with you. It isnt technical because it also varies on the type on engine its run on, but you can see that its faster paced, and you can die in like 10 secs in kirby fighters. something that i wish returned to the smash series, more offensive options. I simply think they'd build off what they know, and whats left to build on? smash 4's already hit the ceiling with how casual you could make it, unless you want worse than tripping? there's nothing left to build on imo, unless you want the same thing.

Im not gonna respond futher because like I said, you seem to me like a casual elitist, but whatever.

theres like barely any melee elitists, if its fun for comp, and fun for casuals (which think anything is fun btw) then i see no problems here.
I'll make it quick.

They won't undo the balance of SSB4, and they wouldn't disrespect Sakurai like this. It's simple.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
If HAL Labs were to make another Smash, I get the feeling they'd leave things like dash dancing and wavedashing at the door, but just simply increase the amount of shieldstun/hitstun or something.

Tonzura Koite

Smash Cadet
No Sakurai?

The Super Guide "feature."
More Mario characters. Further scaled back online options. Stylus attacks. Wiimote waggling special moves. All Mario characters. Turn into a bubble to survive forever. Coin collecting. "Wah, Wah" acapella music. Coins. Dancing koopas. No attacks. Coins.

Coins at very high, Nabbit only, Mushroom Kingdom UU.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
No Sakurai?

The Super Guide "feature."
More Mario characters. Further scaled back online options. Stylus attacks. Wiimote waggling special moves. All Mario characters. Turn into a bubble to survive forever. Coin collecting. "Wah, Wah" acapella music. Coins. Dancing koopas. No attacks. Coins.

Coins at very high, Nabbit only, Mushroom Kingdom UU.
Yes, God forbid the new director from shoehorning more Mario characters like Daisy and Nabbit. :urg:

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I do feel like if Nintendo were to make the next Smash Bros. game internally, we would not get as many obscure Trophies. Nintendo would be in control, so they could easily not give us certain trophies of characters they would like us to forget about. Like, I unlocked Enguarde today. I don't think Nintendo would have put him in because they'd rather we just forget about him. He hasn't been in any of the new DKC games (which suck, btw) and mainly only existed in games made by Rare, which are no longer available on the Wii Shop Channel or available on the eShop. Except for Europe, who just got them on the eShop recently, for some reason. But, anyway, yeah. I don't think Nintendo would have referenced the TV-Game 15, either. So, that's something I like about Sakurai.

However, I wouldn't mind some new blood. Sakurai is going to have to retire at some point. Someone else is going to have to make some Smash Bros. games eventually. Sakurai's already made five Smash Bros. games. I wouldn't be offended if he retired from Smash. I think whoever takes over, though, is probably going to base the game heavily off of Melee as it is the fan favorite. Personally, I consider it my favorite, too, and I'm not even a competitive player. Each player had their own Break the Targets stage and it had an adventure mode.

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
Double Post
Brawl, yes. SSB4 is debatable, but either way the competitive aspect shouldn't ever come first.

Not wanting to include the cutscenes is a Japanese thing.

You know why people want Sakurai in this job? Because he understands Nintendo games. He knows what will and won't work. Most importantly, he makes it a Nintendo game first. This whole competitive SSB thing is a minority, and a small one at that.
What does being competitive have to do with anything? Melee's gameplay is more solid. I'm not that competitive but I like solid gameplay. It's like this, which would you rather play, Mega Man X1 or Mega Man X7? Yeah...Simple question of quality.

And Melee is critically and fan praised as the best, easily. There's a reason it goes for $70 now and Brawl goes for $20.

And yet, Smash 4 is sitting on a 91 average metacritic score. It has single handedly pushed Wii-U and 3DS sales.

He's clearly good at what he does, just because we complain that the game isn't a competitive masterpiece doesn't take anything away from its achievements.
And Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Saphire more than doubled what Smash 4's combined sales are, in like, a few days. Your point? Your average buyer probably doesn't even know this guys name.

Last edited by a moderator:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
What does being competitive have to do with anything? Melee's gameplay is more solid. I'm not that competitive but I like solid gameplay. It's like this, which would you rather play, Mega Man X1 or Mega Man X7? Yeah...Simple question of quality.

And Melee is critically and fan praised as the best, easily. There's a reason it goes for $70 now and Brawl goes for $20.
It's more solid, but only at higher levels of play. At lower levels, it's the opposite. Should be obvious why.

Brawl was still being printed until recently, remember?

And Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Saphire more than doubled what Smash 4's combined sales are, in like, a few days. Your point? Your average buyer probably doesn't even know this guys name.
50% of Wii and DS owners connected to the internet, and the casual userbase has fallen significantly. One of the first things you'd figure out on Miiverse is that there's a SSB community, and the lead guy behind the game is posting pictures back before the games came out. A third of the fanbase likely knows of Sakurai's existence.

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
It's more solid, but only at higher levels of play. At lower levels, it's the opposite. Should be obvious why.

Brawl was still being printed until recently, remember?

50% of Wii and DS owners connected to the internet, and the casual userbase has fallen significantly. One of the first things you'd figure out on Miiverse is that there's a SSB community, and the lead guy behind the game is posting pictures back before the games came out. A third of the fanbase likely knows of Sakurai's existence.
Brawl hasn't been printed in awhile, and there's no demand for it because it sucked. Notice how most other solid Nintendo titles never drop in price because people never sell them back; Brawl did because a lot of people traded it in. Go figure.

And I lol'd at "only at lower levels of play" comment." Not even going to respond to that seriously.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Well let's all hope we don't see a Playstation all-star disaster.

On a side note, I hope Sakurai doesn't direct the next game for one reason. To shut the dumbasses up and show them how good It was with Sakurai.

Amen.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I certainly don't think it will be a disaster without Sakurai. It will probably be as good as it's always been. The only potential "downside" I could see with this would be maybe it loses some of its "art exhibition" flair. Especially during Brawl's development, it seemed like Sakurai was more concerned with flourishes than the average game developer, putting such an emphasis on the music, etc.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
While I can't imagine how SSB would be like without Sakurai, I look forward to seeing what will happen during the next installment. New blood is always a plus, in my book.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
The next installment is no doubt far away.
But I look forward to speculating with the community which I hope whomever directs the game next makes speculating possible and leaves some stuff to our imagination. Speculating with you guys is half the fun of a new Smash.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Brawl hasn't been printed in awhile, and there's no demand for it because it sucked. Notice how most other solid Nintendo titles never drop in price because people never sell them back; Brawl did because a lot of people traded it in. Go figure.

And I lol'd at "only at lower levels of play" comment." Not even going to respond to that seriously.
Oh, it was printed up until recently.

And ever notice how casual players never bother to fight in the air until recently? Yeah, Melee did that with how most everybody fell like bricks. Toss in the lack of buffering, and the average player will call Brawl better.

Without Sakurai we might actually get back some of the things that got lost between Melee and Brawl.
Why in the world would we?

PCHU

Smash Lord
Well let's all hope we don't see a Playstation all-star disaster.

On a side note, I hope Sakurai doesn't direct the next game for one reason. To shut the *******es up and show them how good It was with Sakurai.

Amen.
While I do think it'd be kinda funny, I don't see why anyone would want a worse Smash; it's not worth a good 6-8 years of playing a pile of crap just to say that you were right.
Sakurai made some good decisions and he's made some bad decisions, but I'd say the best thing would be a sidestep rather than a step forward or back, so people won't have much ground to say whether Smash was better or worse with Sakurai.

I don't care who directs it so long as we get a solid game that's engaging and long-lasting.

brodouble

Smash Apprentice
no one calls brawl better. thats why it has no viewership hype. and thats why it's cheap and there's an abundance of used copies everywhere.

obeymalleo

Smash Ace
NNID
obeymalleo
3DS FC
2595-2443-7489
I'm thinking that if we get a new director for Smash, we could have another Smash game where the gameplay will be comparable of that to Melee (I hope). Because honestly, making canceled landing lag a custom equipment that is hard to unlock is in my opinion bad design. If we can get a director who has developed a game like Umvc3, we could have another Melee.
Compared to a game like Umvc3 or Melee, Smash 4 lacks true combos. Some character's aerial attacks lag as well, so people turn to other characters and ignore others (Meta Knight specifically).
In conclusion, I think that an experienced director could take the place of Sakurai to improve on removing lag on character's aerials, making the game faster, and even adding more movement options. Because really, a faster game with combos and cool characters is more fun to watch, and play.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I'm interested in seeing how it will turn out when the next installment is upon us, especially if they choose Hal Labs as devs for the new game.

Maybe next time the Wario Land series will actually get more stuff than just 1 piece of music.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Sakurai is the reason many of you now love Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff (outside of the anime), Ice Climbers, Sheik (as a separate character), Young Link (as a separate character), Dr. Mario (as a separate character), Pichu (your mileage may vary), Marth, Roy, the whole Fire Emblem series, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit (when he was retro), Zero Suit Samus (as a separate character), Ivysaur, Solid Snake, R.O.B., Lucas, Villager (as a fighter), Wii Fit Trainer (when nobody expected her), Palutena (after reviving Kid Icarus), Greninja (to people outside of the Pokemon fanbase), Miis (as fighters), Pac-Man (as a fighter), and he rescued the goddamn Duck Hunt Dog from the Scrappy Heap.

You people cry about how Sakurai cut Lucas and Ice Climbers when in truth, most of you never cared about those characters before Sakurai added them in Smash. If Sakurai listened only to the most popular requests and always ignored the least popular requests, you guys would never have become fans of those characters in the first place. Damn Sakurai for making us care about those least requested characters!
I agree with this. Whatever personal roster disagreement or unfulfilled request I have, I am absolutely happy that popularity isn't the be-all end all of roster decisions. I like the inclusion of the WFT.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
I'm thinking that if we get a new director for Smash, we could have another Smash game where the gameplay will be comparable of that to Melee (I hope). Because honestly, making canceled landing lag a custom equipment that is hard to unlock is in my opinion bad design. If we can get a director who has developed a game like Umvc3, we could have another Melee.
Compared to a game like Umvc3 or Melee, Smash 4 lacks true combos. Some character's aerial attacks lag as well, so people turn to other characters and ignore others (Meta Knight specifically).
In conclusion, I think that an experienced director could take the place of Sakurai to improve on removing lag on character's aerials, making the game faster, and even adding more movement options. Because really, a faster game with combos and cool characters is more fun to watch, and play.
Everyone has true combos from a platform sliding mechanic that was first present in Brawl. The only characters that it doesn't work on is :4luigi::4peach::4yoshi::4gaw::rosalina::4tlink::4samus::4kirby::4jigglypuff::4duckhunt::4ness::4villager::4olimar::4pacman: since they can jump or tech after the slide. Other than everyone else can't escape the combo. And if we get too many true combos then the game will be too easy.

Here's the video:

Last edited:

obeymalleo

Smash Ace
NNID
obeymalleo
3DS FC
2595-2443-7489
Everyone has true combos from a platform sliding mechanic that was first present in Brawl. The only characters that it doesn't work on is :4luigi::4peach::4yoshi::4gaw::rosalina::4tlink::4samus::4kirby::4jigglypuff::4duckhunt::4ness::4villager::4olimar::4pacman: since they can jump or tech after the slide. Other than everyone else can't escape the combo. And if we get too many true combos then the game will be too easy.

Here's the video:
I was aware of the platform "true combo", but I was talking about combos similar to that of Melee's. Sure it would be too easy, but it sure is fun performing the combo/watching it.

Tonzura Koite

Smash Cadet

Amen to this. If all a new director did was pander to the most popular fan requests, there would be no unexpected fan favorites, no pleasant surprises or introductions to underexposed characters. We need those leftfield choices to keep the roster fresh.
If the next Smash includes every character we've seen so far, there will be a lot less room for curveballs that end up winning us over.

And it's just the reality of designing a roster- designing new models for all the past characters, tweaking them, and giving them new toys gets harder the bigger you make the roster. And (trying) to balance them against each other becomes exponentially harder as you increase the full roster size. Nintendo likes to release complete games with a lot of polish, so you know it will take a ton of time to do that.

LightLV

Smash Ace
Don't see how this is a bad thing for Sakurai or Nintendo...but Pokemon has been around longer, has had a reoccuring TV series and sells merchandise AND games to kids with hit success since 1996.

It's like comparing Smash Bros to Harry Potter...

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Warning Received
While I do think it'd be kinda funny, I don't see why anyone would want a worse Smash; it's not worth a good 6-8 years of playing a pile of crap just to say that you were right.
Sakurai made some good decisions and he's made some bad decisions, but I'd say the best thing would be a sidestep rather than a step forward or back, so people won't have much ground to say whether Smash was better or worse with Sakurai.

I don't care who directs it so long as we get a solid game that's engaging and long-lasting.
It's not so I can brag that I was right. It's so these ungrateful idiots realize that once they get a new director for their most wanted character ( Ridley extremists I'm looking at you ) , the game would be destroyed and their (RIDLEY) most wanted character won't be worth it.

TEAMΩMEGA

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tpop22
3DS FC
4871-3342-9339
Smash without Sakurai? Please don't put those kinds of thoughts in my brain.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
If a new director is put in charge, I worry for the future of obscure characters (Ness, ROB, Mr. Game & Watch, Lucas, and Ice Climbers to name a few), overload of Mario content, and game modes.

OdangoKnight

Smash Cadet
Don't see why people assume no-one else could do it. Look at Metroid/Donkey Kong, they shifted dev teams all the times and they kept getting better and better (kinda maybe).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Retro was rather flawless with the Prime spinoffs (barring that one pinball game), but I agree that Sakamoto's direction with Other M was disappointing compared to Fusion.
Pinball was a different team, I believe.

Regardless, it's worth noting Retro didn't exactly like making the games. Lot's of people left because of MP2 and MP3's development. The whole reason they made sure MP3 was the finale was so they could finally make something they wanted to.

LightLV

Smash Ace
Retro was rather flawless with the Prime spinoffs (barring that one pinball game), but I agree that Sakamoto's direction with Other M was disappointing compared to Fusion.
Oh 100%, the 3 prime games IMO are probably the best on their respective systems.

The hearty laugh was for Other M, which is most likely the sole reason we haven't seen anything regarding Metroid on WiiU yet. It's metacritic score is terrible and the amount of vocal disgust was pretty high.

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why people would get too worried over Sakurai stepping down. Miyamoto started Zelda, Aonuma took the helm, and most people agree that it's been even better under Aonuma's leadership. There's definitely an Aonuma for Sakurai out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom