• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How will Swimming affect Sonic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingbooforums

Smash Apprentice
Like a hydrodynamic rock. He sunk to the bottom every time there wasn't a current to push him back up.

Of course, he does swim in Olympic games, doesn't he? Maybe Mario gave him lessons after he jumped the border.

in your quote that marina charecter i remember playing as her in a game on the n64 but i thought it was just my imagintation wow guess i was wrong what game is she from?

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
Last time i checked, going into the water =/= swimming lol

and i dont know if sonic swims in the Olympic games, and i will probably never find out, as I am not willing to play that crap :)

*EDIT* and shes from Treasure's "Mischief Makers". Treasures games are fun as hell

kingbooforums

Smash Apprentice
Last time i checked, going into the water =/= swimming lol

and i dont know if sonic swims in the Olympic games, and i will probably never find out, as I am not willing to play that crap :)

ya but he could swim under water....jumping underwater is considerd swimming..............>_>

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
in your quote that marina charecter i remember playing as her in a game on the n64 but i thought it was just my imagintation wow guess i was wrong what game is she from?
No, she's from an n64 game called Mischeif Makers. There's a support thread for her on this board, which shows off her cult-icon status.
IMO, she's almost as cool as Sonic is. Think Megaman, if megaman was a girl, a judo master and had serious anger issues.

But that's off topic.

ya but he could swim under water....jumping underwater is considerd swimming..............>_>
No it ain't. Swimming is where you can actively move in three dimensions in a submerged environment until you either drown or exhaust yourself. When Sonic jumps, he just lands on the ground again. Tails could swim. Sonic can't. Fact'ed.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Like a hydrodynamic rock. He sunk to the bottom every time there wasn't a current to push him back up.

Of course, he does swim in Olympic games, doesn't he? Maybe Mario gave him lessons after he jumped the border.
Lol... I've heard that he wears a life-jacket.... <_<

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
LOL i watched a youtube video of sonic swimming in the Olympic games.

it looks like hes trying to run in the water haha.

and sonic was already confirmed to swim in brawl

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Yeah, for some reason he's heavy in water.

But I remember him swimming once in the Sonic X show to save Amy's life...
Heavy? No, he jumps higher and floats longer. That's buoyancy, which is what happens when you have a heavier-than-water object that has pockets of lighter-than-water substance, such as air. The air will try to rise up, but the larger mass of heavier-than-water substance (In this case, bone and muscle), will pull it down through the water. Since the air is still trying to go up, it will pull against the flesh, causing the object to fall slower than it would otherwise.

. . .What? I know things. I was stitched together by a scientist, you know.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
In the Sonic X Show in the first episode (i think) a kid saves Sonic's life from the bottom of a pool!!!
In the games his swimming abilities are nothing... but i think isn't as bad screw some history rules (Samus Gravity Suit its useless cause she can swim now?) cause MAYBE all characters need this ability...

Note: I don't know if all characters (in the demo or not) can swim so if Samus cannot then forget about wat i said about the Gravity Suit XD...

spindash

Smash Ace

In the Olympic games, he's got a life jacket on. XD It's pretty amusing, actually!

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Sonic swimming in this game is really weird, he isn't supposed to be able.
Last time I checked only Tails and Knuckles could swim proprely, bah I guess they didn't want him sinking at the bottom.

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
uh.... just a question, why would sonic have to swim anyway? is there a swimming stage that i dont know of? please someone point this out to me cuz im a little offtopic here >_>

T-major

Smash Champion
I agree that he shouldn't be able to swim. it's not right; it's not Sonic. remember though, it was a demo. they might change it in the final game.

however, they might have made him able to swim, because they HAD to... if you look at stages like The Summit, which have parts with lots of water, maybe all character will have to be able to swim, just to make it fair...

Cless

Smash Champion
uh.... just a question, why would sonic have to swim anyway? is there a swimming stage that i dont know of? please someone point this out to me cuz im a little offtopic here >_>
There are stages that have water where if you fall into the water, you can swim for a bit before falling to your death. I believe you can still get spiked through water though. I'm not 100% on that.

That's stupid. Making a character not be able to swim when it would clearly help you survive should you make a mistake. I mean, I know it's a running joke and part of his character that Sonic can't swim, but Sonic is also the fastest thing alive but there's Mario beating him in the 100m dash. Exceptions can be made for games.

InvincibleAgent

Smash Lord
Corneria, Oregon, US - Melee: Roy, Link, Ganondorf
The act of swimming can only be achieved for those who are capable of floating. The deal with Sonic is that he doesn't float. Since he doesn't float, of course he can't swim.

Just being underwater doesn't mean you are capable of swimming. Someone who can swim would not drown when dropped into a deep swimming pool. However, someone can be put into that situation who does drown, they're called people who can't swim.

As floating is needed for swimming, and Sonic can't do it, Sonic can't swim.

Cless

Smash Champion
It is a game. Either everyone should swim, or you shouldn't have the mechanic. If it can affect whether or not falling off of the edge will kill you or not, everyone should be able to do it.

T-major

Smash Champion
It is a game. Either everyone should swim, or you shouldn't have the mechanic. If it can affect whether or not falling off of the edge will kill you or not, everyone should be able to do it.
not everyone can glide, but it can save you from dieing. your logic fails.

Sonic can't swim, so he shouldn't in Brawl. it's like making Bowser glide. he can't, so he shouldn't...

Cless

Smash Champion
Yeah, but that's part of recovery. Not everyone has five jumps, a hookshot, or a grappling beam either. The swimming isn't really a recovery issue since I think you can be knocked through water. It sounds more like if you fall into the water, you can float for a few seconds before dying. Besides, are you just going to make everyone that can't swim in their respective games not be able to?

T-major

Smash Champion
Besides, are you just going to make everyone that can't swim in their respective games not be able to?
YES! thats EXACTLY what they need to do!

If you fall into the water and can't swim (which I expect only 2 or 3 characters wont be able to), then your at a disadvantage. simple as that.

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
lol maybe sonic will move his legs really fast as if he were running to float up a bit, similiar to yoshi's double jump, xD i dunno, maybe he will just die xD

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Yeah, but that's part of recovery. Not everyone has five jumps, a hookshot, or a grappling beam either. The swimming isn't really a recovery issue since I think you can be knocked through water. It sounds more like if you fall into the water, you can float for a few seconds before dying. Besides, are you just going to make everyone that can't swim in their respective games not be able to?
It would be good to do something like that. I mean, why in the world would they give someone like Charizard the ability to swim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom