• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How will All-Star Mode work?

What order will All-Star Mode in SSB4 use?

• Melee's (random, more characters per round)

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Brawl's (order of appearance by earliest year)

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
All-Star Mode has been a welcome edition to the endgame of Smash Bros from Melee onwards. After unlocking all the characters, it was time to take them on to see if you could survive the entire cast with one character.

But for each installment, the order the matches progressed was different:

-Melee's character order was completely random, while adding 2 and 3 character matches the farther you progressed to up the difficulty.
-Brawl ordered the rounds by franchise, which was then ordered by earliest year of appearance. This gave fans a more solid idea of the chronology of Nintendo.

Now at Wii U & 3DS, how is All-Star Mode going to play out now? Personally, if it follows Brawl's order, it could end up being unusually difficult and wonky:

1: Thus far, not all franchises have a stage to call home. Sure, you could relegate some to returning stages. But don't all have new battlegrounds to carry on their legacies. Also, there's a lot more miscellaneous franchises that are getting stages without playable characters.
2: Some franchises are overpopulated. Mario current has 5, but the leak are accentuating that it will amount to 7 by the end. Pokémon was a pain enough to deal with in Brawl with 6 characters. We're already at 4, with 1 or 2 more expected at the least. Zelda and Fire Emblem don't look too bad apart from the previous 2. But having to face 5 and 4 characters in one round with less rounds in between could be hard to manage.

What do you think we'll see for All-Star Mode this time around? Can you think of any orders that would be interesting?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Alphabetical? By color scheme like everyone's on a rainbow? Both - choose between Melee and Brawl style?

Last edited:

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
It's gonna be like brawl, except the character's placements are based on the characters themselves than the franchise

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Wait
WHERE IS GAME & WATCH?
Well judging from the fact that All Star is "locked" it appears it will show up from the start this time, but you can't play it until you unlock it. If that's the case, it would be silly to show off secret characters that people may have not unlocked yet, wouldn't it? Pac-Man gets spared by being on the back of the box.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Literally designing this as I type, so bear with me:

Imagine a large, linear (or Metroidvania-esque) stage. Extremely mild thematic platforming in between stages, in which you fight themed groups of characters. Whether they're clustered by series, or theme within series, or have other tweaks (for instance, whether one area has you fight Mario Luigi Peach Rosalina Bowser BJ, or if one area has you fight M&L, one has you fight Peach and Rosalina, and one has you fight Bowser and Jr). That ordering could even be changed up between plays of the mode (or maybe selected, as certain matchups may result in greater difficulty). Once you beat one, you can either go on to the next in the order (visually gradually climbing a hill/mountain with the Hands at the top), or if it's Metroidvania-style, simply go beat them all (kinda Underground Maze from Melee is being pictured in my head) to unlock the path to the Hands. Put some limited food items on the path between fights, or give the player those healing items as Smash Run-style powerups to use when they want/need.

In fact, forget the whole linear level idea, make an arena like Smash Run where you simply have to hunt down and fight all the characters (marked on the map). Probably unreasonable from an implementation standpoint, but that would be cool.

Random in Melee was fine, and chronological in Brawl was fine, but I think they should use something unique for Smash4.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Some arbitrary arrangement. I hope it's random but I don't think it will be.

I liked how Game and Watch was the finale in Melee. It worked well, I think.

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
Even though we know it works chronologically, I still wonder what he meant about the Assist Trophies. Maybe ATs of the year you're playing randomly appear to bother both you and the CPUs?

Top Bottom