• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Whoa renth, feel better dawg, wishing the best for you.

On a more positive note... Played a tourney today, kicked two guys out of winners, got knocked into losers by kels, then made it to losers semis and got 2-1d by sveet (last stock high percent!)

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
A lot of people I don't know. Lava from the fb group was one of them. Some of them weren't bad tho, like jcslick but I had it pretty easy for the most part. Down to last stock on kels game two tho!

ended up at fourth place

Renth

Smash Hero
Got to play some Smash with RockCrock and UberIce today, it was a very good time and I am loving the game again.

(no videos)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Of course we all do.. lol.

If you mastered the way of the warrior, emo moments only last a few seconds. ;) Or I guess it could be called having mastery over your emotions, it's not that easy but when you do I think you can make conscious decisions a lot easier. I mean if it can serve you in anyway I think its good to feel good all the time rather than be stuck in fear, anger, sadness.. etc.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Yo renth, I may just record some vids tonight if anyone has a set up, I'm going to a weekly thing. Kels, sveet, scythe, rat, possibly trail and Orly will be there.

And now that I'm actually getting kinda good at this game (finally) the vids might actually be watchable without cringing.

yo, its tough to practice ganon alone. You can practice tech skills like perfect wavelands and stuff, but its not like fox where you can just spam it and win.

important stuff you need to learn... Just read tipmans guide, it should list most everything. If you're too lazy, just learn the uair spike and basic combos like jab to grab or jab to dtilt.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Well, no vids. Sorry to disappoint. Knocked bieber into losers first round and then he CONVINCINGLY beat me in losers lol it was bad. Bieber took second, I took something like 5th . I think. Possibly worse, the results aren't posted.

vids coming next week if I have a recording setup.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Some guy I've never heard of named Arty. He's mad good tho. He beat me with samus. It really is a tough matchup, I'm telling you, I just couldn't approach. He ended up winning the tournament cuz kels never showed up lol but yea Idk why that arty dude doesn't play more, he grapes

Uranium235

Smash Cadet
Yea I'm trying to get into Ganon but I don't really know where to start or what to do.

What can I practice on my own with him?
This video has some nice combos to learn from http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sNaYqQOpLNk

But if you dont have anyone to play against and youre just starting, do some mirror matches with the cpu ganon. This is the only computer character i would even think to learn anything from, but hes the best cpu in the game aside from his random unnecessary warlock punches and up tilts

Uranium235

Smash Cadet
People will probably call me a bad for saying this (this happened to me earlier on different board with a different character) but i personally HATE ganons up-b attack. Ive started using falcons up-b and it works out pretty well, im surprised i dont really see falcons or ganons use up-b a lot more often

Uranium235

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah i forgot to mention falcon is kind of like a mirror match except hes faster and has the knee

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I use it too much. BUT it is high risk high reward. I was down two stocks to one vs falco (an almost impossible comeback) and on the last stock had a zero to death to win the match. CC laser into grab (awesome), dthrow, jab, regrab, upthrow onto platform, up-b into their shield (I was too late to uair), then edge guard to death. Although this was friendlies and if I had failed the up b, I probably would've lost. You have to be 100% certain it will hit if you decide to use it in tournament.

Uranium235

Smash Cadet
Not to mention if youre off the stage, while it can be a nearly inescapable wall of pain any error will result in death (so i would only reccoment this when your damage is much higher than your opponents)

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Alright yo, here goes. Falcon is a tough matchup for ganon, but DEFINITELY winnable, by a long shot. Some things to know:
your bair beats his nair
your bair beats his bair (occasionally trades)
your bair can beat knee. It's all based on the spacing
your fair beats knee
your fair trades with nair 90% of the time, but can beat it if your spacing is on point
your uair trades with nair, but can beat it if you predict a nair and uair prematurely

This matchup is all about grabs, and they're extremely easy to get actually. Just crouch cancel his nair and either jab>grab or just grab. Seriously. Then read ACE's tech chasing thread, it's more than good enough for you to see how to tech chase.

Edge guarding is simple, just bair or uair if they recover high or do the reverse uair spike if they recover from below stage. Once he's off, he's not coming back on.

Vs. aggro falcons, just dash dance, wait for him to approach and either throw out an upward angled ftilt (good because it causes knock down at low percents) or just crouch and then grab after he nairs.

For campy falcons, just eat that space. I know it's scary, but don't throw out a move, be patient. Just run in and crouch every now and then to see what he does. Dash dance heavy falcons are easy, perfect waveland into grab, jab, or ftilt. That'll teach them that dash dancing is not as safe as it seems.

I'll probably add more later.

OliClutch117

Smash Apprentice
@PseudoTurtle Thanks that helped a lot played played him earlier today and found that I won most of the matches. It is still just annoying to play but thanks to Bair it has gotten a lot easier and I don't think I will be losing many more of these matches.

Superspright

Smash Lord
If you powershield a crossover side-b him. Most Falcons do not expect it. Use platforms as much as possible because it will give you the speed necessary to keep up with him when he tries to camp you.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Oli, glad to hear it dude. Always happy to help a fellow ganon beat up on a falcon.

I really think that that matchup is not nearly as hard as everyone thinks. I truly think samus, peach and marth are harder matchups. Especially samus. **** samus.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well when the right fundamentals aren't there, of course matchups become completely different because the matchup chart reflects the highest level of play currently possible. The player using moves in mid level play will be obviously a lot slower than a top player which means there's a lot more room for error. I mean the right capitalization for punishes wont really happen, it looks more like players flipflopping everywhere hoping to hit something so matchups arent really important. lol.

Of course that doesnt mean you dont know the proper punish but you may lack the finer details as to how to take the opportunities in order to get to that situation.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I don't think its about the fundamentals as much as the matchup experience itself really. I've played falcon after falcon after falcon and that's why I know the matchup so well. I know how to bait nairs, when to fair, when to cc, when to uair, etc. Vs someone like samus, I still feel really uncomfortable. I don't yet have the proper style vs samus. Used to be that way with marth as well, but I've pretty much learned that matchup. And don't even get me started on falco... Lol. Even when I know what he's gonna do I still get hit. That ain't right.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Using your shield effectively against Falco is underrated. If they go for shine-grabs a lot then they can beat the shield option, but you can always roll away to reset. Most of the time if you setup a proper fair you will connect. When this fails you have to resort to a defensive option to cover it. Bair is good too, and uair. Sometimes getting hit by Falco is good if they don't see the CC coming or you can eat lasers in the air and then aerial if you space it right. He's a character that requires you to watch him more than most characters. His lasers keep you under constant pressure, but only the best Falcos know how to use them properly to poke shields and setup for kills.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya if you cant change your style of play then you'll only be good at one matchup. Every character demands different approaches or how to defend yourself so gotta learn everything!! lol.

Edit: No you can't just roll away all the time for a reset, what if he decides to chase you down with another aerial? You have to be mindful of what he does. You can only roll safely if you cant punish an aerial but you decide to roll just before the aerial hits. If you roll in shield.. risky business.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Yo always listen to kage lol. Shielding vs falco is kind of risky, I only shield if a dair is coming and I have no way to beat it or trade with it. Other than that, CCing lasers is good for the most part and can get you a jab. And CCing nairs at low percents gives you a grab a lot of the time. Linguini shields a lot and gets grabs somehow, but he won't tell us his secrets lmao, so my advice is to not shield.

yo, oli, marth troubled me for a really long time before I felt comfortable. But you have to fight marth like other people fight ganon... When he has a hitbox out, you essentially can't hit marth. Well, I guess bair can beat most aerials, but if the marth is good at spacing and plays gay enough, then you're not getting in. Side b is an awesome tool. It pulls you back and then immediately auto attacks, very good for fair out of shield. And then full hop fair gets around utilt and fair. You can uair in between fairs (if he does the short hop double fair) even if he hits your shield. But you get the idea, make him throw out a hitbox, then punish him when it doesn't hit you.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Corny attempt at livening up the G boards:

Which of Ganon's moves is your absolute favorite and why?

Going to have to say Dair due to beastliness. Just the sound of landing it alone is badass. Not even close to his best move but DAMN I LOVE IT. 22 damage fresh, lots of stun, leads to grabs, techchases, aerials, usmash, etc. People ****in HATE getting stomped too lol

OliClutch117

Smash Apprentice
I have to say Fair. Why because punching someone in the face after every combo never gets old. It is one of his most useful moves and I love ending combos with it and seeing people fly.

Top Bottom