• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

tm

Smash Ace
Personally I JC grab against sheik either way starting from 30%. Not to toot my own horn here but I'd bet I'm among the most consistent at that CG. You can take it to 70-80 and fsmash, which will kill on a lot of stages but is pretty hard. I usually try to take it up to 80+ then fair or bair, which sets up for the edgeguard well which can convert into the kill pretty consistently. At that %, fair will take their jump a lot of the time.

SwiftNinjaBlackMan

Smash Apprentice
got 7th at this arcadian tourney.

lost a ganon ditto in winners and got eliminated by the same sheik that eliminated me last week.

someone actually needs to sit me down and just talk to me about the matchup and ****. im tired of losing to sheik and feeling helpless.
imo every ganon main should just do this when they encounter sheik

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
One thing about ending the cg with sheik. If you want to go all the way to mid80's and fsmash, do the up angled fsmash for +1 damage and a hitbox that reaches higher.

tm

Smash Ace
Falco feels like nothing after practicing the fox cg for a while ;)

edit: I can only actually do those above 70

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
imo every ganon main should just do this when they encounter sheik
**** that. dont want to hinder the progress of my main by relying on a secondary for a matchup i hardly understand yet.

i was gonna pick up fox, but it'll take way too long to have my fox skill level catch up and be even with my ganon so it's not really worth it in my eyes.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah, it'd be different if falcon/Ganon had more similar movement. They're so different. You can see how kage plays falcon like Ganon and n0ne kinda plays Ganon like falcon.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If there's ever been 2 players that should take a page out of each other's playbook, it's them. The other player has what the first one lacks. Sorta. Lol

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Well sense the Canadians aren't showing up to this, I probably can get top 3. So I'd like to beat at least one of these Sheiks as they are the other two players that will probably get top 3. Probably won't beat Tian, but I'm gonna try. I play to learn most of the time, but I like to pick tournaments where I have a good chance of doing really well to play to win because it's good for your mentality. And this is one of those tournaments. Not to mention cash would be nice lol.

I drop it at random; no idea when. I can figure it out later, I just don't have time to play much before this tournament. I'm working like every day leading up to it and ****. That's why I'm asking about these setups lol. If I had the time I'd try and grind it before Sunday, but I don't. But trust me, when I get back home, I'll get some good practice at it.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Make sure your method of jc grabbing is very fluid. Sometimes, especially as demanding speed-wise as the spacies cg is, I'll catch myself hitting X and Z at exactly the same time and obviously whiff the grab.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

Bwmat

Smash Ace
People jc-grab with x/y? Never even considered it, I just grab/usmash with control stick always.

But then again, I use it for wavedashing as well lol

Bwmat

Smash Ace
Thank God I'm not alone

I shorthop with x though... Most of the time. I used to be proud of my proficiency of shffl uair with fox done with analog + a haha

I guess I just started with... Inoptimal habits when I was bad, and I was too stubborn to actually ever change them. **** I sd or get punished super hard due to missed wd/wl sooooo often it's sad.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I actually started with using up for jc grab, it's just different for everyone, because once I discovered how easily I could fp jc grab with X and Z I switched and never looked back

Last edited:

aHarmlessCup

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm Cup from StL, MO. I've been playing for 7 months, and I've been struggling with the fox matchup, mainly covering the horizontal Firefox recovery directly at Ganon and the let go of ledge shine stall > waveland onto stage. I love edgeguarding space animals, but I still get caught up in their tricks and burned. Can I get some critique for game 1 on battlefield or the rest if possible? I'm also under-utilizing instant u-air for the moment fox decides to approach with an aerial.

Edit: video link http://youtu.be/N-C3oNcGLAo

Many things I do already notice:
1.Throwing wizards foot in neutral
2.Throwing unsafe dairs as an approach/when I'm falling down from getting his by aerials
3.Overcommitting to an edgeguard option
4.Not mixing up with tomahawk grabs
5.Continuously jumping from ledge when I'm nervous (90% of my match)
6.Not confident in RLD+fair/dair mixup from ledge or waveland + roll to center stage to safety

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
Hi, I'm Cup from StL, MO. I've been playing for 7 months, and I've been struggling with the fox matchup, mainly covering the horizontal Firefox recovery directly at Ganon and the let go of ledge shine stall > waveland onto stage. I love edgeguarding space animals, but I still get caught up in their tricks and burned. Can I get some critique for game 1 on battlefield or the rest if possible? I'm also under-utilizing instant u-air for the moment fox decides to approach with an aerial.

Edit: video link http://youtu.be/N-C3oNcGLAo

Many things I do already notice:
1.Throwing wizards foot in neutral
2.Throwing unsafe dairs as an approach/when I'm falling down from getting his by aerials
3.Overcommitting to an edgeguard option
4.Not mixing up with tomahawk grabs
5.Continuously jumping from ledge when I'm nervous (90% of my match)
6.Not confident in RLD+fair/dair mixup from ledge or waveland + roll to center stage to safety
When fox upB's directly at ganon, ftilt or low-angled ftilt is good if you don't have much time to react. It will often trade but unless you are at high %, you can still get the kill. If you have a little more time, then dash away short hop bair is good, and rarely trades. You can also dash away SH uair spike if his upB ends right before the uair hits and you are still close to ledge (sends him down + away offstage).

When fox shine stalls, he has to double jump at some point. Either he can double jump over the side of the stage, or he can sweetspot his double jump and grab ledge (which is very difficult). In either case, you can wait until the moment you expect him to double jump, then throw out a hitbox near the edge (low-angled ftilt, dtilt, fair, uair, bair are all good choices depending on the situation). If he tries to waveland onstage or throw out an attack, he will get hit and probably die because he has no jump. If he tries to grab the edge but jumps just barely too high, he will also get hit by your attack and probably die. He is only safe if he sweetspots his jump perfectly, which most foxes can't actually do (and you can even hit him out of that if you time the uair spike frame-perfectly).

Most of the bad habits you pointed out about yourself are good things to work on. Just pay attention to those things when you play and try to minimize them.

Neutral:
Work on your ground movement. Almost every time you move, you start by jumping. Staying grounded more and using jab / tilts / grab will help you be less predictable and you'll be harder to punish. It also opens up crouch canceling at low percents. Try to use less fairs / dairs and more auto-canceled bairs / uairs, or tomahawks / wavelands into grounded moves.

Edgeguarding:
It usually helps to have your back turned vs fox when edgeguarding, for uair and bair, or to grab ledge quickly. It's easy enough to turn around low-angled ftilt even if your back is turned. When his only option is to go to ledge, just grab the ledge and roll up.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any other questions

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You'll get there man. As it stands in south Florida there are about 10 guys out of 50 I really have trouble beating. Just have to break into that high level consistency. Taking games isn't good enough!

(Insert Kage warrior spirit)

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Random tip: remember how important the direction you're holding when you jump is, both grounded and mid-air. This is important for increasing Ganon's mobility, as is jumping out of wd/wL. Aside from the vast importance of dash jumping, this also makes RLD easier. If you are already holding forward when you dj, your job is basically done. If you dj without holding forward, you'll have to hold forward longer to make up for it.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Yeah some weird stuff you guys should practice:

-Changing direction when you jump backwards
-Dashing backwards out of a crouch

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Lol ever person in the top 20 is beast. Pretty sure we've got the strongest state now.
Well, you guys have hbox (top 5) and plup who I would give 6/7 in the world honestly... so just that right there is enough. Combined with all the other hidden bosses that rarely travel, I'd say it's a tough toss up between FL and SoCal.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Florida
Hbox
Plup
Colbol
gahtzu
Clay (porkchops)
Eikelmann/Linguini/spider_sense
Blea
Wizzrobe
(Hm: gravy esam zidane rice etc)

VERSUS

Cali
Mango
Lucky
westballz
PewpewU
Sfat
Fiction
Shroomed
MacD

Legggo!

Last edited:

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Florida
Hbox
Plup
Colbol
gahtzu
Clay (porkchops)
Eikelmann/Linguini/spider_sense
Blea
Wizzrobe
(Hm: gravy esam zidane rice etc)

VERSUS

Cali
Mango
Lucky
westballz
PewpewU
Sfat
Fiction
Shroomed
MacD

Legggo!
Fly would probably be there over Fiction, and I'd give Cali a solid advantage over Florida tbh. Florida could probably beat SoCal/NorCal separately though.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Does anyone remember at what frame uair and bair hitboxes emerge when fp? Basically I can't remember the jump startup frames. I think you can have a uair out on frame 11, and bair on frame 15, but I'm not sure.

I know jab is 3 and ftilt is 9.

Top Bottom