• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
i feel my improvements stifle. i don't know what to do. maybe because i'm not traveling enough? things were going so well from january to march because i was attending events nonstop. felt myself gaining strength. but now i feel like i'm gaining nothing.

i'm just rambling i guess. sorry guys.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
You want to keep improving but you said you don't practice in your ask.fm. You should start practicing your tech skill again if you can't travel as much.

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
An hour a day? That's a lot of time to dedicate. I'm probably one of the most technical ganons out there and I maaaaaaaybe practice tech skills 20 mins a week. Maybe.

It's much more important to nail down whatever you were practicing alone and then incorporate it into friendlies. You WILL screw it up the first few times, but eventually you'll get it down, and in a match setting too.

Yea, Ian, I'm with Dave on this one. I don't see how practicing with Plup / FL falcons could ever end badly lol.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I think it's important to practice new things on your own. Like I try to do tech skill that I don't have 100% whenever I practice by myself. When playing with others, obviously you'll get to practice everything and can take the new things you're teaching yourself and experiment.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Uhh just keep playing with Plup and those FL falcons and you should be fine lol
yeah you're right, but all that's going to teach me is the falcon matchup and the sheik matchup (which i'm still struggling with).

people say that matchups don't matter at higher levels but that's such utter bull****. i stopped playing vs marth and now my marth matchup exp is lacking. same with falco. the only matchups i seem to excel at these days are peach, falcon, and a few others that ganondorf probably wins (like samus and link).

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Yup. I can confirm now that I wasn't CCing nearly enough. I would just hold down and spam shield gran and I got a LOT of grabs on one of our best players here when he played Fox vs me. Like, every time he did a nair and I CCed, I almost always got a grab. I can definitely see why Linguini does this, it's so effective against people who don't know how to deal with it. And once you start incorporating CC into immediate counter into your game, your opponent has to respect you A LOT more when you're at low percent, so Fox will try to shine your or try to grab you, both of which can be countered if Ganon does the right mixups. I kind of had a feeling that CCing was pretty good way back when I had been only playing for like 6 months, but damn it feels kind of cheap to just hold down and spam shield grab and get so much off of it LOL. Hell there's some instances where I'll just tech cause I'm holding R if I end up being a little too high percent to CC it and the ASDI down lands me on the stage. It's a relief though, I'm glad that I've learned to CC properly now and not way later (though it took me a while to really understand). I just have to remember to not try to CC things when I can't CC them, like getup attack from the ledge, oddly enough. I used to fall victim a lot to trying to CC Marth's fsmash for example and it's just push me off the stage.

This has me thinking... I think when I have free time this upcoming weekend, or at the very latest, after I'm done with all my exams, I'll look to see what percents that Ganon can CC the other character's moves and add it to my knockdown thread.

On another note, every time I got hit by stuff at low percent, it would put me in the air, and I think I would instinctively try to DI it up to jump over them or something. Now I'm thinking I should start SDIing downward when I get hit by a move in the air. I know SDI into the ground is forbidden, but you can still get lower by hitting it down.

There's a few other situations that I noticed tonight too that I don't do anymore that I want to start doing again.

One of them is using upair on stage to purposefully hit the opponent with the spike hitbox (your thigh basically) and if they end up going in front of you, you can just dash attack them since that will send them back off stage. I think dash attack should be used a lot more when near the edge and facing inwards, as to take advantage of the trajectory that it sends the opponent: off stage and in an edgeguarding situation.

Another simple thing that I don't do enough of is just down-smashing when my opponent is lying down at the edge, so in case they roll behind me that they will get hit by the second hit of downsmash and get hit back off stage in a bad position. I think that's almost better to do than dair, because of that trajectory, plsu I think if spaced well, dsmash can cover normal getup and getups attack in the situation. I'd like to use it more because of it's ability to cover multiple options. It could cover both people trying to spot-dodge and roll behind you.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Okay so I've been practicing a bit with Ganon and I feel like I need to work more on my Advanced Techniques and Tech Skill.

I find that L-canceling Ganon's aerials (especially his dair) allows for me to pull out other moves more more quickly and therefore keep my momentum going, but I blank on what I should follow up with. Would you be good moves to follow up with after L-canceling Ganon's aerials?

Also, I know that wavelanding and ledge-canceling are really good for Ganon as well, but I don't know how to apply those techniques while in actual matches.
Damn. Shoutouts to me coming onto these boards exactly 200 pages ago :p

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
So I just read the article about coastward's sponsorship. lmao I didn't realize he was being sponsored by a hentai website. That's the funniest thing I've heard all week.

s0teric

Smash Rookie
@ Эикельманн [РУС] Эикельманн [РУС] The problem is you're saying you're not supposed to be bad. You're putting an expectation on yourself that doesn't help anything. It only makes things harder if you lose. Yes, you've put in a lot of work, but when you go into a match, you shouldn't burden yourself with expectations. Focus on situations and optimization, and I think you'll benefit. Learning to be at peace with the outcomes of matches when you're so invested is hard. I fail often. But I believe if you master it, and are persistent in pushing your game to the next level, your Ganon will be feared by all.

Last edited:

Superspright

Smash Lord
Plup has such a solid sheik. Post some vids. You know what to do, you just can't make mistakes.
With no mistakes a lot of matchups wouldn't seem so brutal. I think Ganondorf is simplistic enough that this is nearly possible. We just need to be mindful of the fact we CANNOT MAKE ERRORS.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I just spent 20 minutes practicing and now I can RLD about 10-20% of the time

70% of the time I land on stage on roll back to the ledge, the rest of the time I SD.

Progress!?

LightKaizo

Smash Rookie
im gonna get him to message me about it since i think he's working on other projects. he's had a lot of stuff on his plate so he's probably super busy.
We could make a thread about it so that way everyone who chipped in could get some sort of shoutout. I'm gonna find a way to put some money into that if its possible.

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
This is a really good find. So you're saying if I'm still on stage, right? Not if I'm aerial. Just for clarification.

For the record, I think shield dropping is great, but there's no way that it can overcome the usability of wall techs. Wall tech can beat Marth's go to edge guard! How awesome is that? Honestly, if you perfect your wall teching, the only thing that could truly edge guard a wall-hugging ganon is the Eddie spike.
Actually you can tech that too. Not shine tho ;)
what do i do about sheik? if i lose to plup's sheik again idk what i'm gonna do.
Cmon now. No need to be upset from losing to a player of that calibur. What mistakes are you getting punished for? If you don't know, watch vids of yourself or ask him. What's your gameplan? Make one if you don't have one. If you execute it properly and still lose, then you have no reason to be upset (unless your gameplan sucked, lol). It's ok to get outplayed

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah renth walltech bair'd my tippy spike the day we recorded that Ganon montage. Rockcrock and spider_sense have got me with it too. Not something you see often unless you play a good DK often lol.

Top Bottom