• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Well guys, sorry to say but I was not able to win my local today haha. It was rather stacked too to be honest. I lost to a gimmicky Samus in R2 of winners. Spot-dodge to dsmash me off stage got the best of me. Then I had unfortunate luck with having to play the really solid Peach main in my area for getting into top 8. He got sent to losers by someone I didn't expect him to lose to. The first game was really close vs the Peach but then he picked things up in Game 2, and that was it for me. I got 9th. I'm not satisfied with how I played vs the Samus but everything else was pretty decent. I messed with playing Marth in tournament when I won the first game, and my Marth wasn't playing so hot haha. I went all Ganon vs the two players I lost to though.

@ -ACE- -ACE- Chapel Hill is close but not enough cigar my friend. Now does this mean you can drop by Charlotte during the time that you would be in Chapel Hill? Or will you be at Bad Moon Rising? (Which is this weekend and might be too soon haha). Regardless, Looking really forward to playing you. I think I've stepped up my Ganon ditto game now and understand what to do a little better.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'll go to that tournament maybe, we'll see.

If traveling 2 hours is too much for you, why do you act like you want to play smash competitively?

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I'll go to that tournament maybe, we'll see.

If traveling 2 hours is too much for you, why do you act like you want to play smash competitively?
How am I supposed to travel 2 hours away without a car? I ain't spending bus money to get there lol. If you're at BMR, that'd be great. Some good times ahead.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Weak.. Back in my days we spent bus $ EVERYDAY.
Gotta remember I'm in college dude, and that takes priority over anything. Now, if @ -ACE- -ACE- can confirm a weekend that he'll be in NC that I can take a bus to or something along the lines, then damn right I'll jump at the chance. If I could stay at his place for the whole weekend? That'd be super legit. I don't have a whole lot of money but I would like to try this out if at all possible. I don't give up that easily :p

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'll keep you posted man. Idk if I'm going to stay in nc a week or a month at this point. Gonna be looking for sub-leased apartments to live in NC for a month before I go to FL. depends on what I find. I have a semi-bachelor's party I have to attend this weekend with my old UNC cronies, so I'll probably just show up to BRS Sunday afternoon for friendlies. Nothing is set in stone though.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
are there any ganons in amsterdam or europe? i'm going to europe on friday and i'll probably try to attend a tournament while i'm there.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
@ Orah Orah that video was purely speculative- it was me trying to bring light to a technique that hadn't really been used all that much (and continues to be relatively untouched). Some of those techniques were never used and may never be viable... just an attempt to further the ganon metagame to show that certain things are possible. By all means, experiment with it as you please and show us how it can be used! That was the point of the vid.

Also, I wasn't nearly as good as I am now back then and labeling the empty RLD as low usability is totally false. It's amazing. It can get your opponent to whiff an attack because they believe that you will waveland, but instead you're safe and sound at the edge. I love doing it vs. Marth when they try to fsmash you- you can RLD, then waveland in and punish the whiffed fsmash via grab because that move is laggy as hell.

Honestly, I've never used RLD up air DJ up air in friendlies or tournament (just because one up air has always been enough). In my opinion, the only time when it would be potentially usable is in a gimp situation, similar to this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt1Hd8PfwVs&t=3m17s

It's essentially the same thing, but he didn't RLD because it wasn't necessary.

@ Divinokage Divinokage what you said the other day about the waveland bair being a more mid-level technique- I can agree with that. The only reason I chose not to dair was because his percent was high enough that dair wouldn't have killed or led to a follow up. The bair actually set up for an edge guard, which I successfully executed, taking the match. In all honesty, I AM just a mid-level player, so my mindgames are mid-level too. Not to say I'm not improving, but that's just where I'm at right now.

IN OTHER NEWS, I just discovered that Ripple actually has a losing record against Sizzle, so back-to-back two stocking him really boosted my confidence and demonstrated to me that I am improving quickly.

That and I played two other players that used to beat the hell out of me ~6 months ago and they could barely take a game now. I'm really starting to get in people's heads and it feels awesome.

Ian, I distinctly remember you saying a little over 3 years ago that you could see me being the best Ganon in the midwest in 3 years time. Well, 3 years has passed and I'd rank myself #3... with a little more practice, I'm gunning for that #1 spot. Watch out, Trail and Tm ;)

Last edited:

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Got 3rd at a stacked Norcal tourney at Golden Bair 2 last night. I 2-0'd everyone in the pro invitational pools (Azusa, Toph, NMW, and Gar) except for Shroomed.

I 2-0'd Toph in pools and 3-1'd Toph in Loser's SemiFinals. I'd like to thank @ RedmanSSBM RedmanSSBM for his very helpful criticism for different matches of mine. I took into account all of his critiques and applied them to my gameplay yesterday. I am mixing up DJ and SH waveland and using wavedashes now.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Nice job, Bizz! My favorite part is that Toph can't say he's undefeated against Ganon anymore lol. If I'm not mistaken, you've beaten him the last three times you guys have played, correct?

Were the matches streamed? And if so, do you have a link?

AquaBoogie

Smash Rookie
So I am kinda new to the whole smash scene, I am both a Samus and Ganondorf main. I just picked up Ganondorf recently and now my Samus game is worse and my Ganon game is pretty good now. My tag is Aquaboogie, im 13 and live in Orlando FL. I play Melee, 64, and Project M sometimes. I am part of the crew "The Brothers In Harm" and we host streams usually every weekend on twitch. We also have a YouTube with some highlights from the streams. Eikelmann sent me to make an introductory post on this thread and that is why I am here.

Last edited:

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Hey AquaBoogie! It's always nice to see new smasher especially Ganondorf mains. Thank you for mustering the courage to introduce yourself. We're all chill so please make yourself at home and ask any questions about anything.

Welcome :)

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
@ Bizzarro Flame Bizzarro Flame No problem my dude! I'm glad you were able to apply my criticisms to your game! Great to see you beating Toph convincingly. I'll be sure to look at those videos when they are uploaded. I think I'll look at your matches that you lost in bracket and analyze those, cause the next tough part is beating Shroomed, PewPewU, and SFAT. But you can do it dude!

You guys are great I appreciate the kind words. <3 I'll continue to do match analysis each Friday afternoon as it's fun for me to do and I get to learn some things and help everyone out.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Watching Golden Bair was cool, because obviously I'm supporting Bizz and it was sick seeing him go so far. But the Ganon hate kind of annoyed me. Like, there's a difference between stating true facts about the weaknesses of Ganon and just trashing on him. But even when Bizz is playing a matchup or a stage that's not so bad for Ganon, you'll hear NFW go "gannooonn is soooo badddd ommmggggg." Had to mute the stream at one point because it was so annoying to hear.

Last edited:

Orah

Smash Cadet
I think a lot of smashers berate Ganon cause:
#1 It's easy to do, not many are going to try to disagree.
#2 He's not a popular character choice.
#3 Most smashers suck @ playing as Ganon :p

Last edited:

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I always do that **** on pokemon.

You just getup attack while hanging from the ledge. Due to lack of space, you immediately fall back onto the ledge and you can do it again. I'm not sure if you're actually invincible the whole time, but it's pretty close.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
LOOOOL LOCKE. The ending to that set.

Your Ganon is definitely looking faster and more technical than before, good stuff.

You can still be more precise on your aerial spacing, and incorporate some aerial baits (fj bair to uair, fj dair/fair to dj anything, fj bair to dj bair to bair, etc) cc jab more (simply crouching and rolling the stick to down+away works on most controllers), and grab more. You guys pretty much fight each other with aerials the whole set. Try to perfect those gimps too. If you hit falcon off stage at all, he should be dead. Stomp dj sweetspot attempts.

Last edited:

dERO!

Smash Apprentice
are there any ganons in amsterdam or europe? i'm going to europe on friday and i'll probably try to attend a tournament while i'm there.
Yo in amsterdam u'll have former ganons who switched, like faab and ace but they prolly wont play ganondawg. Try to hit them and amsah up too for housing, most of them are chill and really welcoming, otherwise for i guess ganondorf action come to france and go through Qlex, Pandasoldier and I :} what cities/countries and tournaments are you checkin out ?

Ps : be careful in amsterdam they'll try to make you switch to fox and falco, for hours

Last edited:

AquaBoogie

Smash Rookie
i would post a video of me doing an insane read but this is my second message ever and i cant post links -_-

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Also Locke, in the set vs flamingroy....

At 2:18 and 5:40... those up-b's need to be punched. Sometimes taking the ledge cab really limit your options. He would either up-b like this or side-b onto stage at a height that could easily be jabbed, ftilted, or onstage bair'd. I saw a time when you went for a stomp techchase after reading the roll toward the ledge. Gotta fair that ****. Get him off stage. Getting crazy with gimps is the future.

Flamingroy has years of experience vs Ganon. No slouch.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
LOL The Rock Transformation is one of my most hated transformations and I did not want to challenge a Falcon on that transformation at all. I just kept pressing A while on the ledge to keep doing getup attack. I love how the commentators thought that was some "20XX Ganon specific tech" when it's just really basic haha. I'm not fully invincible for it, but by the time I'm vulnerable, I'm already sliding off the ledge and going downwards, so it's a silly gimmick that worked in this scenario. I hadn't done that in tournament before but it was kind of funny to do anyway haha.

@ -ACE- -ACE- Thanks for more ideas of aerial baits. I tend to just a little too much vs Falcon though which gets me naired and into trouble, I should probably be on the ground a little more, and yeah I did want to CC jab more and even CC grab, but I keep forgetting that just hitting Z from a crouch does a dtilt. I have to shield first to stand up. Also stomp DJ sweetspot attempts? You mean facing towards the ledge or away? And wouldn't down-angle forward tilt be better?

Top Bottom