• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to train your Amiibo to be more aggressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kramburger

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kramburger
3DS FC
3668-9298-6746
I got myself a Samus amiibo a while back because I was curious to see what it would be like to train one. I spent many hours with it and kept running into a problem: my Samus amiibo would always at some point (usually near level 50) adopt a very reactive strategy of waiting for me to attack it so it could dodge and occasionally counter attack me. It's even more annoying than regular level 9 cpus. This made all fights with the amiibo very tedious and drawn-out, no matter who ended up winning.

Eventually I got tired of resetting my amiibo so once I got it to level 50 again I decided to experiment in order to find a way to make my amiibo more fun to play against. I think I've found a solution. I set up the following match: A 2 minute time battle with my amiibo with a 300% handicap vs a team of 2 level 9 cpus with 0% and a level 1 cpu with 200%. The idea behind this was to teach the amiibo to aggressively go after the weak level 1 enemy in order to obtain the points required to win the match while trying to avoid losing points to the level 9's. My amiibo didn't win a single match, (although it did manage to make it to a sudden death once) but I could tell it was behaving more like how I wanted it to. After about 5-10 matches in this format, my amiibo became much more aggressive and more fun to play against.

If you've had this issue with your amiibo I suggest you try this out. Hopefully it'll work for you! If you have your own training method to make your amiibo more feisty, post it here!

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Training amiibo's is a great experience. I wanted my Link to stop spamming bombs & boomerangs (probabbly got that from playing too many 8 player matches) and instead spam the heavy arrow custom move thing.

I literally had to teach it how charge the arrow as whenever he shot it landed right in front of him and was useless. I spent 20mins with a Link on my own in a 1 v 1, only using fully charged arrows. He learned how to shoot them and is using them, though he was better when he threw a bomb every 5 seconds LMAO.:chuckle:

i'll use your strategy for my Samus, would like her to be the super aggressive one. Dunno what I want my Pit to be, maybe defensive.

InitialK

I'm that TO Guy
Believe it or not, I just got introduced to the trial and error of training amiibo's yesterday when I went to my friends house. I honestly cant imagine the frustration you have to go through in order to train them efficiently.

Personally, I will take any advice that is put on this thread for future use when I get my GnW Amiibo (whenever that gets a release date that is).

PF9

Smash Lord
I level my Amiibos up by having them fight alongside a human-controlled version of the character in question as part of a team, against a CPU-controlled version on level 5 of the same character. Like for example, I am currently training my Rosalina Amiibo, Elsa, by teaming up with it in long matches against an enemy Rosalina. Once they are at level 50, training immediately ends. The main purpose of my Amiibos is eventually, to be pitted against one another in 8-Player Smash in a 99-stock match, to facilitate gift farming.

Kramburger

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kramburger
3DS FC
3668-9298-6746
An alternate method to the one I posted is to put you against your amiibo and put a level 1 cpu at 200% or 300% on each team.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I hand trained my Link (since I main Link also) to 50... and he's pretty rough to beat. My friends say he plays like me also, so it's all about spending time with the amiibo as they level up. They do learn patterns, you just have to teach those to them.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
A good part of the difficultly in training amiibos is that the default CPUs aren't that good to begin with, and training them to use customs properly is basically impossible as they treat the moves like the defaults.

Ever hear about WFT amiibo recovery problems? That's the default CPU's fault, as they don't do it right either. Pit has a similar problem since he always aims way too high instead of smashing his head on the underside of the stage like you're supposed to.

Personally, if you want your amiibo to be more aggressive you should 1v1 it with some kind of "spamy" defense character like Link or Pit. All my Shiek would do is spam grenades until I sat down and played 30 stocks of Link spam, and now she'll rushdown outside of the occasional needle. Basically, you have to teach Mario/Luigi/Shiek that their projectiles are terrible.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My process for training Amiibos is I 1v1 them in dittos with no items until about level 15, I then do the same with items until about level 20. I train my Amiibos in pairs, so when I have done these steps with two Amiibos, I let them join me in a three way battle until level 30 with me using a variety of characters. Then until level 50, I start adding one of my best Amiibos in as a fourth player, often doing 2v2s. Then when they get to level 50, I do more 1v1s.

Most of my Amiibos have become quite challenging using this method. I have never beat my Rosalina in a 1v1 and, I can only beat certain characters as Rosalina.

Also, I do feed them equipment.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I can safely say that they learn the same way at lvl 1 as they do at lvl 50. So if you want to grind out 150 stocks to get 'em to 50 real quick you can. I'd recommend it so they can properly get used to their combos and speed and such.

Lugihui

Smash Cadet
What I did is I practiced a lot with him using my moves which he will learn to use and make it better.

Game Boy

Smash Rookie
NNID
MinerZonian
I set up my amiibos against eachother in a 99 stock match on 300% damage, but before that, I had heard of a way that setting a special smash to heavy gravity + 300% vs level 9 CPU would teach your amiibo to value it's life more, so I tried it with my Kirby, and he can be quite scary to fight at times. As far as I know, he always manages to get the Assist Trophy before anybody else, even if I go after it. Leveling up Amiibo is really fun though! I'm teaching my Ness to use PK Thunder a bit more properly, and I also want to try and teach it to use PSI Magnet on another Ness while he's about to use PK Thunder off stage!

Edit: Currently trying to make my Kirby Amiibo face more than one level 9 CPU, if he can do it one day, he may well be the best of my amiibo!

Last edited:

Venom | Infinity

Smash Rookie
My way to train my amiibo is to 2v1 him in a team battle, so that he can learn how to play aggressive and defensively it also makes him/her over powered

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I got myself a Samus amiibo a while back because I was curious to see what it would be like to train one. I spent many hours with it and kept running into a problem: my Samus amiibo would always at some point (usually near level 50) adopt a very reactive strategy of waiting for me to attack it so it could dodge and occasionally counter attack me. It's even more annoying than regular level 9 cpus. This made all fights with the amiibo very tedious and drawn-out, no matter who ended up winning.

Eventually I got tired of resetting my amiibo so once I got it to level 50 again I decided to experiment in order to find a way to make my amiibo more fun to play against. I think I've found a solution. I set up the following match: A 2 minute time battle with my amiibo with a 300% handicap vs a team of 2 level 9 cpus with 0% and a level 1 cpu with 200%. The idea behind this was to teach the amiibo to aggressively go after the weak level 1 enemy in order to obtain the points required to win the match while trying to avoid losing points to the level 9's. My amiibo didn't win a single match, (although it did manage to make it to a sudden death once) but I could tell it was behaving more like how I wanted it to. After about 5-10 matches in this format, my amiibo became much more aggressive and more fun to play against.

If you've had this issue with your amiibo I suggest you try this out. Hopefully it'll work for you! If you have your own training method to make your amiibo more feisty, post it here!
Im kind of running a similar retraining program with my Samus Amiibo, however Mine is still in training to reach level 50 because im ditto'ing it in 1v1 2 min time battles. It only levels up 1 level per match so I'll have plenty of grinding time to get it to recognize Samus' difficult aggresive tricks, SHAD>Nair/Bair, Zair spacing, dash attack> FJ Uair> DJ CS combing, Dash> Uair, Uair, UpB. You know Samus things. I'll let you know how She does at lvl 50.

Ik0zael

Smash Rookie
NNID
IkOzael
3DS FC
4829-0344-7841
Switch FC
0482-0486-3518
At the end of the day, amiibo are just purchasable CPU with built-in attack and defense. They learn absolutely nothing from you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom