• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to thunder spike off stage?

SwagyShiek5044

Smash Rookie
i just picked up on pikachu and hes sweet. I see esam use pikachu thunder spike off stage all the time and cant figure out how he does it

Eskelsen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eskelsen
Well, it depends on what you are having problems with. Is it getting the sweet spot, or setting up the actual attack?

Eskelsen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eskelsen
All right. What I recommend is to first grab the ledge.You can think of this as kind of like training wheels;with enough experience you wont need to grab the ledge. You then press back or down on the analog stick and let yourself drop for a bit, depending on where you want the cloud to form, that's when you want to use your double jump so that you don't SD then do Thunder. You want to use the double jump to stop your horizontal momentum, so that you don't miss connecting the Thunder.

SwagyShiek5044

Smash Rookie
All right. What I recommend is to first grab the ledge.You can think of this as kind of like training wheels;with enough experience you wont need to grab the ledge. You then press back or down on the analog stick and let yourself drop for a bit, depending on where you want the cloud to form, that's when you want to use your double jump so that you don't SD then do Thunder. You want to use the double jump to stop your horizontal momentum, so that you don't miss connecting the Thunder.
Shanks ill try it our

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
One thing you must realize is how your opponent recovers. If your opponent likes to recover straight to the ledge, then thunder spiking might not be the best option. However, if your opponent likes to recover sky high, then that's a good time to attempt a thunder spike. Sometimes you can force your opponent to recover from the sky by using stage control. It's not very easy to pull off. All you need to know is how your opponent recovers. Spiking isn't always essential.

Last edited:

Maple42

Smash Apprentice
While Thunder stage spiking is cool and all, be warned that it's mostly for style points; it's pretty obvious someone's trying to do it, and, of course, it can be teched. But style points are style points : p

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
While Thunder stage spiking is cool and all, be warned that it's mostly for style points; it's pretty obvious someone's trying to do it, and, of course, it can be teched. But style points are style points : p
...You can tech the cloud? What?

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
yeh, it can't be teched if you do it off stage unless they hit pikachu's body and that sends them into the side of the stage.

The way I generally set up a thunder spike off stage is to backthrow the opponent off stage, then run off the stage and fast fall. Your opponent sees you going low so they recover high in order to avoid you. Then you hit your double jump and instantly thunder while they are above you.

Note: this only works often against lower level (for glory) players, or players who aren't very experienced in the pikachu matchup. Higher level players will be aware of this and know how to avoid it for the most part

Top Bottom