• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to stop toon link with wolf

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
MAn toon link is hell.

Today I was in a tournament and I lost twice to a toon link user. All the mtachs were 3 stock.

The first was in the quarterfinals and I faced it and lost 3-0, the person who beat me is in the finals as we speck.

and so I lost, but I was put in the loser's bracket and I faced another toon link in my match to see who goes to the semi finals and I lost again, 2-0. And he might go to the finals the match to determine that is going on now.

And my question is that is there and way to beat toon link with wolf, I tried many things to counter him and I just can't, so I ask is there any advice to help beat toon link, or are they going to destory me from now until SSB4?

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
What exactly are the people who play Toon Link doing? It's kind hard to give advice without actually knowing what's the problem. For example, is the Toon Link spamming projectiles (arrows, bombs, etc..?), is he using dair alot? Etc..etc..

ScubaF_ingSteve

NNID
ScubaSteve94
Using bombs a lot, dair, and the basic stuff. Sorry I can't be specific its just it varies, but mainly the bombs and d-air combos along with arrows.

I thought there was a set way toon link player play, because when I play someone there is always a similarity in their fighting style.

Le7halx

Smash Cadet
Well, you say he uses his dair a lot, after that attack toon link has a pretty significant lag (pulling his sword out of the ground animation) which gives you time the smash him/grab. Using your deflector works well against the arrows/bombs. And make sure you are using Wolf's bair its his best attack and works well against links dair. If they tend to sit back a lot and use range attacks, make sure u keep the pressure on them constantly rushing and using close range attacks, toon links close game doesn't compare to wolfs. Look for habits and exploit them.

ScubaF_ingSteve

NNID
ScubaSteve94
Thanks but when I faced them their close game was better than mine. It just looks like I need more practice the only thing I can't over come is the bombs no matter what I try I also get hit and put into a combo.

AMR

Smash Rookie
I play against a pretty good Toon Link, and I just fight him in the air.

Wolf's B-air is amazing and seems to be very effective against toon link because of it's range.

Try to shine them as well, not just their projectiles (Although shining the projectiles is a good idea as well)

Beware of his Up B attack and just stay in his face.

Use the blaster to hit him as well, it might surprise him.

ScubaF_ingSteve

NNID
ScubaSteve94
I play against a pretty good Toon Link, and I just fight him in the air.

Wolf's B-air is amazing and seems to be very effective against toon link because of it's range.

Try to shine them as well, not just their projectiles (Although shining the projectiles is a good idea as well)

Beware of his Up B attack and just stay in his face.

Use the blaster to hit him as well, it might surprise him.
I try all that, but in the air, I always get bellow or above him giving him the advantage, I'll try all that out next time, and Bair did work well for me when I pulled it off, the only real problem I had was successfully dodging the bombs, which is hard to do.

KingShade

Smash Rookie
I try all that, but in the air, I always get bellow or above him giving him the advantage, I'll try all that out next time, and Bair did work well for me when I pulled it off, the only real problem I had was successfully dodging the bombs, which is hard to do.
then dont try to dodge them, try shooting them instead with your blaster.
That always works for me if I'm not dodging.

1337z0r

Smash Cadet
your blaster is more easily spammed and does knockback. if its a projectile war just spam blaster and shield.
if he gets close just roll behind him and do a shine, or just cancel his attack with a shine

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
You can grab TL's bombs as well. My mains are TL/wolf. Tl has a very slow forward air, so approach in the air from the front is fine. His grab is slow so a good, shfair to sidestep to smash works well. He'll throw in down B once he knows u side step so then a good AAA combo will work when u land, I've found that TL struggles with stopping AAA combo spammers, prolly because he doesn't have any extremely fast forward attacks. Also don't let him get really far away, stay always at least within ur own blaster range to try and punish him for pulling bombs or what not. Also comboing him from below at low precents works well, his neutral air only hits to the sides, and down air has start up lag, so at low precents u can easily juggle him from below, utilts and neutral airs are good for this.

smashking14

Smash Cadet
Don't worry about his dair in fact him using it is probably the best thing for you. It's slow and if he misses you have plenty of time for a smash.

ashark8doom

Smash Rookie
Scratch that toon link is very hard with wolf, hes so **** small. I have beaten a toon link twice by just playing defensive and keeping him stunned with laser and when he moves close stun with shine and unleash as much hell as possible

Blazer

Smash Ace
The guy I play against that uses T.Link tends to spam his dair. You can't get him from the air once he's used it since he typically is too high up for you, or moving too fast to hit easily, just roll away, charge up a Fsmash, and send him flying.

For bombs the blaster is probably your best bet, maybe dodging them overall would work too but that makes an approach that you want, a little less viable and he's likely to just smack you away if you don't know what you're doing.

Arrows are easily just shined away as is the boomerang. My only suggestion about these is that you try avoid them if you're too close to him since he'll simply run up and hit you as you come out of the shine animation.

Other than that, just watch his range with the sword and you should be fine.

Twilightwolf

Smash Cadet
As another Wolf/TL main, I am constantly annoyed with TL's SHDA. I can't do it 50% of the time and countering it is... well... annoying.

BUT! Messing with a campy TL is SO much fun. (I piss off every one's TL if I can get a flow going, which is pretty often). Wolf's shine has some invulnerability frames, so I reflect until they start shielding (to block the reflected w/e), then dodge with reflector and run in with a grab while they are shielding... This leads to a Dthrow->Dair off the cliff into the great abyss. sigh... good times.

Top Bottom