• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to settle on a character???

Flippant

Smash Apprentice
I started playing Project M around early June, and I can't seem to settle on a character. I've tried multiple characters and just can't seem to get passed their gimmicks. I learn their basics, then I see their more advanced techniques and get scared off. Any advice?

Raijinken

Smash Master
Pick your favorite, learn them. The roster is diverse and balanced enough to make playing by favorites the general way to go. Though if you're new to Smash in general, I'd wait a few weeks and just play Random or something to see if something feels like it clicks, then start with the basics before focusing on any character's gimmicks and tricks.

Garquille14

Smash Apprentice
pick one with moves that interest you most
or pick a character that you just really like from their games
or pick one that you want to represent your image
or pick a quarter of the roster like me and go nowhere

Last edited:

kchamp523

Smash Cadet
Just play everyone. After a while, it'll narrow down to like 10 characters you're interested in. And then eventually it'll become like 2-4 characters. It just takes some time.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
If you've played default Brawl then you could go with who you played with the most in that game, and if not like everyone else is kind saying just pick a character you like based off their franchise and go with it. I.E if you like Pokemon then maybe you could try Pikachu and stick with him.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Identify whether you are more of a technical or mental player if you haven't already. That eliminates around half the cast. I'm not saying there isn't a mental side to all characters, but say take Puff in melee. Way more mind games then tech. Or just go with who you love. I love Puff so I main her, but I have enough tech skill for the majority of characters.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Every character lends themselves to a certain playstyle. Understanding your style and the style of each character is a good place to start.

Don't get scared off by tech. Every character has some sort of barrier to high level play. If a low-tech style suits you better that's fine, but you have to be willing to put in the work on your mindgame in return. Neither option is easier than the other in the end.

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
Ive been in your position before
This is my system I created to help myself I hope it can help you
Forcing a structured plan can be the best way to handle a fun diverse game like this one and for people like us that struggle to decide
Here it is:

1.Pick out your 5 most played characters, think long and hard of realistically who you play the most and often even if they aren't your best
assemble a roster and stick to it don't look back begin this process

2. Play matches against players with only those five have fun with it try to give them all an equal chance be sure to take note which characters your often favoring over others in your new roster
(this gives you a little diversity to hang out to until your ready to make the jump)

3. Now that you've played your 5 a decent amount, determine
who am I getting bored with already?
And
Who am I having the most fun with still?

4.eliminate two of your five that you are currently having the least fun playing If your not hooked at this point your not going to find long lasting appeal

5. Focus on more matches with only those three now with a compact group that you enjoy playing focus more on performance
Ask yourself
Who feels natural to play?
Who do I feel the most comfortable in a diverse set of Match ups with?
Who do I feel I can best handle their flaws?
Does this character have high level tech that I'm willing to learn or low level tech that you feel more comfortable with
Who's winning me the matches and why?

6.eliminate your two worse performing characters that stick with the winner he/she made it through all the trials they are worthy of your fulltime attention invest more time on him and you'll be smashin with the best of them

Note: once you feel like your a high level of play with your newly aqquired mains your eliminated two are great potential candidates for alts to cover up your bad match ups but stick to your one for a long time before you do that
Remember though this game is all about fun once you feel comfortable with your main being your main mess around with anyone you want in not so serious matches dont be feel like your obligated to never play anyone else again now you just have a character for when things get serious you know who to turn to

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
im just like you, ive been playing since version 2.0 and i keep changing. i put so much time in a character then ill go to a new one because it has a better match up against a character im struggling with. then in turn i stop playing my original main and devote my time to the new character. the problem that is good and bad is that every character is good. in the other games it doesnt take long to settle on one or two that i like. im close to finding my three and im just gonna force my self to not second guess my choices and stick with it. personally i always want to use the fire emblem characters. so for smash wii u im just deciding now that lucina, robin, marth, ike, or rosalina & luma will be my main. and im not going back on it.
the problem is yo second guess your decision and try to learn a new character instead of facing the match up. pick three that have a good chance against most of the cast and work on only those characters, even if you think that you should add another or replace another. cahnces are youd be better off just putting more work into your mains

Kitchi

Smash Rookie
Finding a main is always hard but I'd say just narrow it down to a few characters you wouldn't mind sticking with then randomly choose one. Then of course once you feel content with your skill on that character you can move onto your others so you'll have a big arsenal of characters you can use which is always handy.

Sarth

Smash Rookie
I think it's alright to play a few characters at first and just see which seem to excel in comparison to the others.

When I picked up PM, I played Marth as he was who I played in Melee/Brawl. I still use him, but I also played R.O.B, Mario, Squirtle, Sonic, and Link. I started to do not so good with Sonic so I dropped him, then Squirtle got dropped, and now I'm down to four characters. I'm going to continue to play and when I am down to two, I'll know who my true main/secondary is.

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
SSON

I have hairy legs and stand a nice 6'4"

I live near Palm Springs and am attractive to homosexual men as a straight guy; I make my masculinity a poin-

**note my avatar**

Well you see this princess is the prissy pink Jedi, victory cannot be had without her assistance.

How did I learn this?

Ergo I quote:
Just play everyone. After a while, it'll narrow down to like 10 characters you're interested in. And then eventually it'll become like 2-4 characters. It just takes some time.
My 4 were Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Fox, and Peach.

Can't even play as fox now, if I keep a clear head I can stop Samus listening to House of Pain all the time

Last edited:

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
Ive been in your position before
This is my system I created to help myself I hope it can help you
Forcing a structured plan can be the best way to handle a fun diverse game like this one and for people like us that struggle to decide
Here it is:

1.Pick out your 5 most played characters, think long and hard of realistically who you play the most and often even if they aren't your best
assemble a roster and stick to it don't look back begin this process

2. Play matches against players with only those five have fun with it try to give them all an equal chance be sure to take note which characters your often favoring over others in your new roster
(this gives you a little diversity to hang out to until your ready to make the jump)

3. Now that you've played your 5 a decent amount, determine
who am I getting bored with already?
And
Who am I having the most fun with still?

4.eliminate two of your five that you are currently having the least fun playing If your not hooked at this point your not going to find long lasting appeal

5. Focus on more matches with only those three now with a compact group that you enjoy playing focus more on performance
Ask yourself
Who feels natural to play?
Who do I feel the most comfortable in a diverse set of Match ups with?
Who do I feel I can best handle their flaws?
Does this character have high level tech that I'm willing to learn or low level tech that you feel more comfortable with
Who's winning me the matches and why?

6.eliminate your two worse performing characters that stick with the winner he/she made it through all the trials they are worthy of your fulltime attention invest more time on him and you'll be smashin with the best of them

Note: once you feel like your a high level of play with your newly aqquired mains your eliminated two are great potential candidates for alts to cover up your bad match ups but stick to your one for a long time before you do that
Remember though this game is all about fun once you feel comfortable with your main being your main mess around with anyone you want in not so serious matches dont be feel like your obligated to never play anyone else again now you just have a character for when things get serious you know who to turn to
Pretty much what I did. My initial 6 were Mario, Kirby, Yoshi, Metaknight, and Squirtle, and eventually it boiled down to Mario (again. I just really like playing as him in every game, even stuck with him in Brawl). I secondary Kirby now but my Yoshi still needs lots of work to be another viable secondary. Just hard to like playing as him with all the frusterating double-jump-got-eaten moments. Other than his recovery though I love everything about him (especially those tilts) so hopefully I can overcome that.

And of course I would count my Melee secondaries as PM secondaries too since they're exactly the same as they were in Melee with a few very minor changes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom