• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to resolve a sudden death stalemate?

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
I hope this is in the right forum.

So I recently had a match where we ended up on opposite sides of the stage, with bombs falling, and both of us just stalling on the ledge. None of the bombs seemed to be hitting either of us. Can an edge hanging character be hit by bombs? Does anything eventually end the match in this scenario short of someone making a control error in regrabbing the ledge (which is what happened in my game and as far as I know why it's not still ongoing)?

Msamuleman

Smash Rookie
In the event of a sudden death, the person who had the lower percent upon the end of the game (whether by time out or by both dying) is declared the winner. No need to worry about anything during sudden death.

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
I appreciate that, but I'm a little confused. Can sudden deaths time out? Do they have a time limit?

Uniit

Another random dude
No sudden death is ever played in a competitive play. Sudden death appears, on a stock+time match, when time's is up with equals stock, or if both player lost their last stock at the same time.

In those moment, either players have a different amount of percentages, so the winner is the one with the lowest, or they have the same, and in this case a one stock match with same characters/stage is played.

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
Okay, I think I understand. It sounds like my question pertains more to for glory, which is not the same as competitive generally. I'm still curious about the answer, but I'm guessing the general discussion forums will be a better place to ask.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Sudden Death will never time out. You either have to brave the bombs (careful rolling) or have a kill-capable projectile, or be the more patient of the two players.

If a bomb lands right on the edge and your immunity is over, the blast can kill you.

T0MMY

Smash Master
In the event of a sudden death, the person who had the lower percent upon the end of the game (whether by time out or by both dying) is declared the winner. No need to worry about anything during sudden death.
What the heck, I just played a match where this happened and the game didn't declare me the winner - it went to Sudden Death.
So me and my competitor decided to play it out legit like men.

But you were so wrong, I nearly lost the match and thinking I was going to win with less damage just made me run away for 3 minutes and made everyone watching it hate on us and the game for being "not competitive".
Luckily Sudden Death was the hypest thing ever and a crowd gathered and were cheering.
That day many of us learned:
Sudden Death = Awesomeness

Also, online For Fun is 2-minute sets and as far as I know there hasn't been a stalemate - the chance of a stalemate situation is practically non-existent. Until it comes to be a practical issue it doesn't seem like there needs to be some kind of out-of-game ruling.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Wait its whoever had the lowest percentage? NOOOOO

I just played an online tournament and the guy... I BEAT HIM I SHOULDVE MOVED UP! I HAD JUSTIFIED SALT I JUST DIDNT KNOW IT! HE KILLED ME IN SD UEJKEWNLKWE

@PICHU441 YOU BETTER PREPRE YOURSELF FOR MY RAGE I WON THAT ROGJLFVOQKG[P\SDMFKLQEJPFKO;ER

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Wait its whoever had the lowest percentage?
No, it's not all the time.
Read through the rules of the tournament, if it's not described in the rules and you happen to have a tie then I would suggest you play out Sudden Death and take it up with the TO afterwards. Sometimes they will have a 1-stock rematch used to play or just use Sudden Death to determine it.

Honestly, the %-based win is one of the most scrubby rules still in use today as damage % means almost nothing to who is "winning" in Smash considering any character can get KO'd at 0% or live potentially forever.

In case there's some kind of (theoretical) stalemate that plays out where both players agree to not attack each other and can somehow evade the bombs perfectly for an infinite amount of time (like say abusing a Stage-glitch) the TO can step in and restart the match on the same Stage set at 1-stock and let them fight it out again with a "stalling" warning if they decide to pull something similar again.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
No, it's not all the time.
Read through the rules of the tournament, if it's not described in the rules and you happen to have a tie then I would suggest you play out Sudden Death and take it up with the TO afterwards. Sometimes they will have a 1-stock rematch used to play or just use Sudden Death to determine it.

Honestly, the %-based win is one of the most scrubby rules still in use today as damage % means almost nothing to who is "winning" in Smash considering any character can get KO'd at 0% or live potentially forever.

In case there's some kind of (theoretical) stalemate that plays out where both players agree to not attack each other and can somehow evade the bombs perfectly for an infinite amount of time (like say abusing a Stage-glitch) the TO can step in and restart the match on the same Stage set at 1-stock and let them fight it out again with a "stalling" warning if they decide to pull something similar again.
I personally like percentage over being spammed by projectile campers until bombs fall, but that's just my opinion.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Don't listen to that, don't play out sudden death; it's incredibly luck based or character based. The character that isn't hit by a bomb or has a faster move will always win. It may be fun to watch, but it isn't fun when it's the finals in a tourney and Li'l Jimmy lost his chance at $100 because Sakurai, the god of Luck, decided it wasn't his time and dropped a bombshell on him harder than Powerman 5000.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
It's certainly not perfect, but it beats the crap out of actually playing out Sudden Death. Sudden Death isn't played for the same reason Items aren't used; it's completely random.
Only because of how SD works, it concentrates the luck factor significantly more than items do, as a single item drop (which is again, completely random) determines the game winner. Also, Sudden Death isn't remotely fair even excluding the whole raining-instakill-bombs thing; for example Ganon VS... well, most anyone with speed or more importantly a decent projectile (Lucario would be hilarious, for instance) is 90:10 or worse against Ganon favor.

Now obviously "it's unbalanced" doesn't equate to an auto-ban, but seeing as playing out Sudden Death adds a number of very serious downsides with the only real upside being "The game says to do this". Granted things where the game says "This is how to determine the winner" is the default when looking for the best way to determine who wins, in this case the negatives outweigh that positive hugely.

On the other hand, I do agree that I'd like to see something better than a %-based win; this favors lightweights hugely, as heavyweight characters generally live to higher percents - we shouldn't punish them for that. I can't think of any other system off the top of my head, but if you have one then I'd love to hear it.

Luckily Sudden Death was the hypest thing ever and a crowd gathered and were cheering.
That day many of us learned:
Sudden Death = Awesomeness
I think what you mean is "Things that don't happen often = Hype".
If SD was played out regularly, it's likely very few people would have cared at all.
And if SD was played out in a national or something, people would be up in arms at whoever won, rather than hyped.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
I personally like percentage over being spammed by projectile campers until bombs fall, but that's just my opinion.
If you are being spammed with projectiles chances are you'll not get to the bombs, you either have to move in and make your strike or gonna get taken out by the projectile.
My opinion is that sounds pretty hype.

It's certainly not perfect, but it beats the crap out of actually playing out Sudden Death. Sudden Death isn't played for the same reason Items aren't used; it's completely random.
Not sure how hitting an opponent is considered random. Just going to disagree.

Also, Sudden Death isn't remotely fair even excluding the whole raining-instakill-bombs thing; for example Ganon VS... well, most anyone with speed or more importantly a decent projectile (Lucario would be hilarious, for instance) is 90:10 or worse against Ganon favor.
I don't prescribe to arguments of "fair" regarding characters because everyone has the same option of choosing any character on the CSS. The person who chose Ganon [sic] in the example doesn't have a violation of the fairness principle, they just need to learn to get better at the character select screen (I'd suggest learning how to pick Diddy Kong).

Now obviously "it's unbalanced" doesn't equate to an auto-ban, but seeing as playing out Sudden Death adds a number of very serious downsides with the only real upside being "The game says to do this".
You'll have to back up the claim of the claim of "downsides" first, otherwise you've got a leap in conclusion.
And also by making the statement that there is only one upside is about as unreasonable.

On the other hand, I do agree that I'd like to see something better than a %-based win; this favors lightweights hugely, as heavyweight characters generally live to higher percents - we shouldn't punish them for that. I can't think of any other system off the top of my head, but if you have one then I'd love to hear it.
1-stock rematch on same stage, same characters.
But after getting over my initial prejudice I've found that playing Sudden Death is fine. Coincidentally when players find out they have to play out Sudden Death they suddenly stop camping and running the clock.
Amazing.

I think what you mean is "Things that don't happen often = Hype".
Nope.

If SD was played out regularly, it's likely very few people would have cared at all.
Disagree, because the number of times it happens is rare and the circumstance of "what could happen now?" is always there.

And if SD was played out in a national or something, people would be up in arms at whoever won, rather than hyped.
If this kind of argument mattered Little Mac, Rosalina, Lucario, Diddy Kong, and Mii would be banned and about a hundred other out-of-game rules would be implemented to make the game "fair".

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Pretty sure the "error" you are talking about is just the game stopping you from grabbing the ledge.

After grabbing the ledge once, you lose you invincibility. Then after a few times after that you lose your auto-snap. Then after one or two more, you become completely unable to grab the ledge.

So, basically, sudden death will likely go to the person who stayed on stage the longest before retreating to the ledge.

@ TOMMY, Rarities and unfamiliar situations are pretty much what hype thrives on. I've seen new players in my scene get hyped about a villager camping the ledge, but almost everyone that sees it more than 2 or 3 times gets a bit tired of it.

Heck, in brawl, MK vs MK is probably the most exciting and fast paced matchup in the game but even THAT got old.

Percents aren't the same thing as a health bar, but outside of manually calculating damage divided by weight like other fighters, its the best representation we have of who is winning.

Btw, in Brawl, you could catch the bombs in sudden death and throw them at your opponent. Might be something worth trying.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
If you are being spammed with projectiles chances are you'll not get to the bombs, you either have to move in and make your strike or gonna get taken out by the projectile.
My opinion is that sounds pretty hype.
My opinion is the opposite, however that's irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Also, if you're against a projectile spammer then your best option may well end up being to sit around and hope you get favored by the completely random dropping of bombs, rather than approach through a bunch of insta-death that is actually targeted at you.

Not sure how hitting an opponent is considered random. Just going to disagree.
Hitting an opponent isn't random.
Bombs raining randomly across the stage is definitely random, though, and should not be used to determine the winner of the match. Are you claiming that this is not what happens?

I don't prescribe to arguments of "fair" regarding characters because everyone has the same option of choosing any character on the CSS. The person who chose Ganon [sic] in the example doesn't have a violation of the fairness principle, they just need to learn to get better at the character select screen (I'd suggest learning how to pick Diddy Kong).
True, fairness isn't really something that determines rules as long as at some point both players have the same options to take advantage of said unfairness.

You'll have to back up the claim of the claim of "downsides" first, otherwise you've got a leap in conclusion.
And also by making the statement that there is only one upside is about as unreasonable.
Main Downside: Has huge potential to decide the winner of the match through completely random means.
How do you refute this?

Also, what other upsides can you provide? That is the only one I can think of, besides speed of determining the victor over alternative methods (not including the method we currently use).

1-stock rematch on same stage, same characters.
Could work, yeah. It could also take a while unfortunately, but it could certainly work.

Very helpful and informative. The important part of your response to this question would be why you disagree, not just a simple "No"...

Disagree, because the number of times it happens is rare and the circumstance of "what could happen now?" is always there.
The problem comes from the "What could happen now?" stemming from "Who's the bomb-omb going to drop on?".

If this kind of argument mattered Little Mac, Rosalina, Lucario, Diddy Kong, and Mii would be banned and about a hundred other out-of-game rules would be implemented to make the game "fair".
No, because the thing that not playing out sudden death is fixing and making "fair" is making the game come down to player skill, not random chance. Honestly if you're hosting a tournament with Sudden Death, you may as well save time by letting other people use the setup and flipping a coin to decide the winner; it's random and fair as well.

Obviously this isn't directly analogous as there are a few seconds before the bombs start raining where players may interact, as well as ledge-grab invincibility tactics as @ Teshie U Teshie U mentioned, however the fact remains that the bomb-dropping is both incredibly influential and completely random.

T0MMY

Smash Master
My opinion is the opposite, however that's irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Also, if you're against a projectile spammer then your best option may well end up being to sit around and hope you get favored by the completely random dropping of bombs, rather than approach through a bunch of insta-death that is actually targeted at you.
They're not completely random, as they always start at the exact same time every time and always at a set distance. And if Smash 4 is like the other games then the bombs spawn with enough time to react before hitting the ground and exploding making it a reactionary game - note that players can (and do) pick up these spawned bombs and toss them at opponents to score KO's.
This is why I disagree and think this is really hype :^)

Main Downside: Has huge potential to decide the winner of the match through completely random means.
How do you refute this?
By saying it's not random.
Or...
Easy way: It is still a better way of determining a winner than an arbitrary decision of the %-based win (for the reasons mentioned before).

Let's take the assumption that it is completely random, this is still very much refutable while sticking to competitive principles here:
There was a stalemate/tie situation.
Stalemate/tie must be broken
Fair way to determine a winner regarding stalemate/tie is a RANDOM decision (many competitions use a coin-flip to determine winners in a stalemate/tie situation)

Thankfully the game was designed so we don't have to resort to some actual random act to determine winner.
Also, there's still an alternative to both (1-stock rematch).

Also, what other upsides can you provide? That is the only one I can think of, besides speed of determining the victor over alternative methods (not including the method we currently use).
It doesn't encourage players to run out the clock for one thing.
But I believe burden of proof is on anyone wanting to stray from normal course of gameplay. I don't make such claims, so I don't have to come up with any up-sides, though I do enjoy pointing out the sheer lunacy of %-based wins.

Very helpful and informative. The important part of your response to this question would be why you disagree, not just a simple "No"...
I said "nope" to you telling me what you think I meant to say.
The highest authority of me is me and I say I did not mean to say anything of the sort.
So, nope.

The problem comes from the "What could happen now?" stemming from "Who's the bomb-omb going to drop on?".
I find it odd you labeled that as a "problem".

No, because the thing that not playing out sudden death is fixing and making "fair" is making the game come down to player skill, not random chance. Honestly if you're hosting a tournament with Sudden Death, you may as well save time by letting other people use the setup and flipping a coin to decide the winner; it's random and fair as well.
That would be assuming every game would go to sudden death and that sudden death equates to flipping a coin.
Wrong on both accounts.

The irony is if Sudden Death is played out then the players will try to get the final KO before time runs out.
Alternatively time can be turned off and a tie/stalemate would only occur with a double-KO, which a %-based ruling wouldn't be able to decide a winner because all competitors are at 0% at time of tie/stalemate.
Whereas the way the game was designed works just fine in that situation.

however the fact remains that the bomb-dropping is both incredibly influential and completely random.
So is:
# of the Judgement (Mr. Game & Watch side-special)
Turnips on Villager's D-Air
The act of your opponent choosing a character.

Random does not violate competitive principles. In fact it is sometimes necessary.

I've offered a stronger alternative to the %-based ruling, but if I want to be honest to competition then I'd play out Sudden Death. Maybe not something I want to do, but honestly being reasonable here over my personal bias.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
They're not completely random, as they always start at the exact same time every time and always at a set distance.
I'm sorry, are you saying that the bombs do not drop at a random locations on the map? Seriously?
For real?

Sorry, but the burden of proof is very firmly on you here. Best of luck, but...
On the other hand, if you can prove that then you honestly have a semi-decent chance of convincing me that SD could be a reasonable alternative to the %-based system we currently use.

Easy way: It is still a better way of determining a winner than an arbitrary decision of the %-based win (for the reasons mentioned before).
No, it actually has more disadvantages than even the flawed %-based system. At least the percent-based system is relatively based on skill, rather than where the bombs decided to randomly spawn.

Let's take the assumption that it is completely random, this is still very much refutable while sticking to competitive principles here:
There was a stalemate/tie situation.
Stalemate/tie must be broken
Fair way to determine a winner regarding stalemate/tie is a RANDOM decision (many competitions use a coin-flip to determine winners in a stalemate/tie situation)

Thankfully the game was designed so we don't have to resort to some actual random act to determine winner.
Also, there's still an alternative to both (1-stock rematch).
And indeed, 1-stock rematch is preferable in to both Sudden Death and %-lead decision, however there just isn't always time for that.
However, while that is indeed "Fair" in the way that both players have an even chance of winning, it is decided completely irrelevant of the player's skill. The whole point of competition is to determine who is better at whatever is being tested, and unless you're deciding to add testing luck in with the 'coinflip' (as you even called it yourself) that is irrelevant to the competition.

Speaking of which, why on earth are you advocating for a random decision in what is supposed to be a skill-based competition?

It doesn't encourage players to run out the clock for one thing.
But I believe burden of proof is on anyone wanting to stray from normal course of gameplay. I don't make such claims, so I don't have to come up with any up-sides, though I do enjoy pointing out the sheer lunacy of %-based wins.
That is indeed where the burden of proof lies, however as the "normal course of gameplay" currently in competitive Smash does not include Sudden Death, the burden of proof lies with you in this instance.
And as I've said many times, I agree that %-based wins are non-optimal. However I also do not believe that Sudden Death is anything but worse than even using percent to determine the winner.

Oh, and it also does encourage a player to run out the clock, only in this case it encourages the player who is losing to run out the clock.
If you're at 120% against an opponent at 0% with a character who can feasibly stay away from your opponent until time runs out, it only makes sense to try and take the 50% chance of a win randomly being handed to you rather than risking a loss in 1 or 2 hits while trying to either hugely outplay or riskily gimp your opponent.

I said "nope" to you telling me what you think I meant to say.
The highest authority of me is me and I say I did not mean to say anything of the sort.
So, nope.
Fine, then here:
"Why do you believe that things not happening often does not cause hype?", or "Why do you believe that Sudden Death's 'hype' is not caused simply by the rarity of its occurance?".

I find it odd you labeled that as a "problem".
I find it odd that you don't see the problem with the 'hype' from Sudden Death stemming from random chance rather than player skill.

That would be assuming every game would go to sudden death and that sudden death equates to flipping a coin.
Wrong on both accounts.
Apologies if I didn't word it clearly enough, however I did not mean anything like "Every game should be decided by a coinflip". What I was meaning was that once a match hits sudden death, you may as well let other people use the station and decide the winner from there with a coinflip.
I did indeed say that sudden death is similar to flipping a coin (and immediately after I even mentioned that it wasn't directly analogous; nice of you to not include that in the quote or acknowledge it, however) as it may as well if the fight is not determined within the first approximately 20 seconds, though.

The irony is if Sudden Death is played out then the players will try to get the final KO before time runs out.
Alternatively time can be turned off and a tie/stalemate would only occur with a double-KO, which a %-based ruling wouldn't be able to decide a winner because all competitors are at 0% at time of tie/stalemate.
Whereas the way the game was designed works just fine in that situation.
You claim that playing out SD makes it so that players will fight harder to get that KO before it comes to this, but you fail to say why. Again, why would the losing player (%-wise) not attempt to run away until SD hit, where they have a 50-50 chance of the game simply being handed to them?

Also, time could be turned off, yes, but that would then make it possible to not be able to run tournaments in any even remotely reasonable amount of time, as any match could take any amount of time (even theoretically upwards of 12 hours, however unlikely).

Lastly, you claim that the game works just fine in this situation for determining a winner, but the whole debate at the moment is over that exact point; simply throwing out a claim like that is pointless, especially as you've already made your stance known. Simply stating this fact does not help to convince me at all.

So is:
# of the Judgement (Mr. Game & Watch side-special)
Turnips on Villager's D-Air
The act of your opponent choosing a character.
Judgement is indeed random, however your opponent actively choosing to risk the use of the move is not.
Turnips on Villager's Dair are actually non-random, as RubRub and I discovered in the demo.
How the heck is my opponent choosing a character random? That's not random at all, that's an active decision.
Speaking of which, here's the definition of random: "Made, done, happening, or chosen without method or conscious decision."

Random does not violate competitive principles. In fact it is sometimes necessary.
Say what you will, but random determining the winner of something that is supposed to be completely skill-based is just flat out not all right. You are testing the skills of one player against the skills of another player to see who has the better (or better suited) skills, so they can come out on top.
If at some point you just go "LolCoinFlip" that is no longer a test of skill.

Also, please show me this absolute law of competitive principles. David Sirlin has many good ideas, however he is human and therefore falliable; if he claims that random is fine in this instance, then sorry I disagree with him flat-out.

I've offered a stronger alternative to the %-based ruling, but if I want to be honest to competition then I'd play out Sudden Death. Maybe not something I want to do, but honestly being reasonable here over my personal bias.
You have in fact given a stronger alternative in the rematch, however that has the issue of time.
However, in my opinion the order from best to worst ways to decide given so far have to be:
1st) 1-stock Rematch
2nd) Stock -> %-Based Decision
3rd) Sudden Death
4th) Coin Flip

I've given my reasoning on 1st-3rd already, and "Coin flip" is only below sudden death as SD has at least a brief period of time where it's possible for player skill to at least factor in.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I'm sorry, are you saying that the bombs do not drop at a random locations on the map? Seriously?
For real?

Sorry, but the burden of proof is very firmly on you here. Best of luck, but...
Asking "are you saying that..." is pushing burden on of proof on me.

You said they are "completely random" and I disputed the "completely" part of that by stating they appear at an exact time every time and only within a specific area.

Nice try with the Burden of Proof shot though.

No, it actually has more disadvantages than even the flawed %-based system. At least the percent-based system is relatively based on skill, rather than where the bombs decided to randomly spawn.
Once again the %-based ruling cannot determine a winner when % is tied. This is the ultimate ruination of such a ruling and additionally it is disputed that hitting your opponent before bombs drop and being able to react to the bombs is actually much more skill-based than random wins based on who randomly has a random % that is randomly greater/lesser in relation to another random %.
Those two points make Sudden Death a more competitively viable option - I am not saying it is a popular opinion right now, nor am I saying I like it, but just showing you that it is a stronger stance than your position in the argument from what I see. I am open-minded about it (which is where I got to playing out Sudden Death, something I was against originally).

And indeed, 1-stock rematch is preferable in to both Sudden Death and %-lead decision, however there just isn't always time for that.
One cannot err to a "perfect" solution otherwise that in itself is a fallacy to dismiss something because it might not be absolute in every sense.

What is the stronger argument? <= We go with that until a stronger argument displaces it.

However, while that is indeed "Fair" in the way that both players have an even chance of winning, it is decided completely irrelevant of the player's skill.
This applies only to when it is impossible to determine a winner based on skill. For instance, port priority is to be determined by a random drawing of lots because the system itself cannot allow for two players to have the same exact physical port (i.e. "advantage").
So if I disagreed with you then I'd have to somehow select ports based on "skill" before competition could even start.

The whole point of competition is to determine who is better at whatever is being tested, and unless you're deciding to add testing luck in with the 'coinflip' (as you even called it yourself) that is irrelevant to the competition.
When professional competitions use a coinflip or similar method it is generally due to an extreme situation, this differs from your "coinflip argument".
When theorycrafting we come to extreme situations. Does it happen in practice? Practically, no.

But even in the realm of theorycrafting it still does not follow:
When we have no %-based ruling and no time limit the chances of a stalemate is a practical phantasm. Add in playing out Sudden Death and it becomes practically non-existent. Now whoever gets the first successful hit in (skill-based) is the practical norm for sudden death, making the "random argument" a small fraction of a practically non-existent phantasm AND it is still debatable that handling the bombs is "random" instead of "reactionary" (that is to say skill-based).

Ultimately this puts the "coinflip" argument to bed.

Again, not saying it's popular or that I have personal opinion of liking it, just pointing out the stronger argument, competitively speaking.
(Although Sudden Death is hype when I see it played out)

Speaking of which, why on earth are you advocating for a random decision in what is supposed to be a skill-based competition?
Who said I was advocating it? I enjoy pointing out stronger arguments, I leave opinion to the individual.

That is indeed where the burden of proof lies, however as the "normal course of gameplay" currently in competitive Smash does not include Sudden Death, the burden of proof lies with you in this instance.
Normal gameplay is how the software functions.
The proof is in the pudding.

If you just made a statement to the contrary then you're going to need the proof how the software declares a winner based on damage%, because I am going to say I don't believe the software functions that way.

And as I've said many times, I agree that %-based wins are non-optimal. However I also do not believe that Sudden Death is anything but worse than even using percent to determine the winner.
"It's worse", cool.

Oh, and it also does encourage a player to run out the clock, only in this case it encourages the player who is losing to run out the clock.
Ah, but it is much easier to KO a high percent opponent (what you mistakenly labeled "losing") thus resulting in a reset where the players try to battle it out again for winning.
But I believe there's all too much evidence showing how much stalling happens when time is ticking down.

Are you advocating not to use time as it would entail to do so in your example?
I wouldn't mind that nor would I really mind time, but what I do mind is some arbitrary ruling like %-based wins and I think we are both agreeing to that opinion.

Fine, then here:
"Why do you believe that things not happening often does not cause hype?", or "Why do you believe that Sudden Death's 'hype' is not caused simply by the rarity of its occurance?".
I would answer that by pointing out it is a leading question, the usual response to leading questions is "I do not give a hangman rope."
People get hyped when Sudden Death is being played out - this is simply what I see happen (crowds of people gather and shout/cheer). Usually this is a welcomed thing at events, so I encourage it and I don't seek to explain the phenomenon.

I find it odd that you don't see the problem with the 'hype' from Sudden Death stemming from random chance rather than player skill.
You mean the problem with the hype surrounding a next-hit KO which is skill-based and not random at all? Or ability to dodge an attack through pure reaction?
Kind of a low-blow to present a "problem" that doesn't seem to be there as a red herring, I thought our discussion would be above that kind of rhetoric.

You claim that playing out SD makes it so that players will fight harder to get that KO before it comes to this, but you fail to say why.
Psychology of players is outside the scope of rule-crafting, just the same as explaining why people get hyped when Sudden Death is played out.

Also, time could be turned off, yes, but that would then make it possible to not be able to run tournaments in any even remotely reasonable amount of time
Again, the perfection fallacy here. The reason why it is a stronger argument is that of Practicality is greater than Theory.
Theoretically the %-based ruling could have NO ENDING and thus take INFINITE TIME.
If your conditional what-if scenario is used then reasonably we still have a stronger argument than the %-based ruling (again, we seem to be agreeing with the flaws inherent with a %-based ruling so maybe we can dispense with the formalities there).

Lastly, you claim that the game works just fine in this situation for determining a winner, but the whole debate at the moment is over that exact point.
If that is the whole debate then it would be up to someone to show why something needs to be changed, not the other way around.
(And I am not trying to convince you, I am illustrating which argument is stronger for the public - if I prove 2+2=4 and do not convince you it doesn't change the fact of the matter).

Judgement is indeed random, however your opponent actively choosing to risk the use of the move is not.
Well, there you go.
Either ban the move or admit random does not violate competitive principles. The other course of action is to demonstrate how the principle itself neds to change which I am hard-pressed to do so.

How the heck is my opponent choosing a character random? That's not random at all, that's an active decision.
Speaking of which, here's the definition of random: "Made, done, happening, or chosen without method or conscious decision."
Seeing as you did not cite your source one may come to the conclusion it is cherry-picked.
Lucky for you I have read up on the definitions and etymology of "random" and am intimately aware of its communication, so I'd like to know why you didn't include:
"Of or relating to an event in which all outcomes are equally likely"
(1)

The word itself is meaning "run" as in a wild, stampeding horse whose direction is not known due to how fast it is. Random is simply stating it is beyond the human brain to comprehend.
This is why the dropping of bombs would not be considered "random" because the players should know the time they will start dropping and how to react accordingly. This is why when someone gets hit with a "random" Forward-Smash we don't redo the game and say "look, dude, that attack was just too fast for him to react to, play it again".

Got hit by a bomb? Get better.

You are testing the skills of one player against the skills of another player to see who has the better (or better suited) skills, so they can come out on top.
If at some point you just go "LolCoinFlip" that is no longer a test of skill.
I don't believe anyone advocated for a coinflip to determine a test of skill.
What happened was you used the coinflip argument, which was put to bed. At best it can be argued as a matter of opinion, at which case someone should competitively just say "lol, get better, scrub".
Again, not advocating one side or the other, I simply followed our reasoning out to that point and allow individuals to make their educated choice in the matter to determine just how competitive their competitive tournaments are.

Also, please show me this absolute law of competitive principles. David Sirlin has many good ideas, however he is human and therefore falliable; if he claims that random is fine in this instance, then sorry I disagree with him flat-out.
I'm afraid an "absolute law" would be beyond the scope of the discussion here as it goes on to a deeper philosophical discussion which is actually where my academic studies are and from there is my source of epistimology regarding these discussions.
And it is from the many generations of great thinkers who dug the wells of knowledge from which I prefer to go to drink.
Once again I do not err to an absolute perfection but instead see the wisdom that someone like David Sirlin has provided and I take up where to best go from there. At this point in time I am lead to believe that %-based win is a weaker solution and there are at least two greater solutions provided both in this thread and discussed elsewhere.

It's up to the public to find the well of knowledge presented here and make an educated decision "how to resolve a stalemate".

(The short answer very early on is that stalemates don't practically happen in Sudden Death).

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
Sudden death mean both players will be at 300% which means almost any attack will kill you (except some weak throws, most jabs, or some sourspots) so its a quick way to decide whos the definite winner of the match.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Apologies for the delay, I've been away from my computer for a while.

Asking "are you saying that..." is pushing burden on of proof on me.
You said they are "completely random" and I disputed the "completely" part of that by stating they appear at an exact time every time and only within a specific area.
Nice try with the Burden of Proof shot though.
Okay, I see what you're saying; I should have specified that I meant random in the ways that are actually relevant to the topic at hand (namely horizontal spawn coordinates).
As they spawn randomly in this way, they can randomly heavily favor one player or the other by spawning bomb-ombs around them, even potentially exclusively.

it is disputed that hitting your opponent before bombs drop and being able to react to the bombs is actually much more skill-based than random wins based on who randomly has a random % that is randomly greater/lesser in relation to another random %.
it is still debatable that handling the bombs is "random" instead of "reactionary" (that is to say skill-based)
You mean the problem with the hype surrounding a next-hit KO which is skill-based and not random at all? Or ability to dodge an attack through pure reaction?
I don't believe anyone advocated for a coinflip to determine a test of skill.
This is why the dropping of bombs would not be considered "random" because the players should know the time they will start dropping and how to react accordingly
Stop. Please, actually read what I write.

My problem with sudden death is (mostly) the influence of the bomb-omb's random spawning location potentially heavily favoring one player due to no act of their own skill.

How well one player handles the bomb-ombs is completely irrelevant if the other is not tested by them whatsoever.

Please stop ignoring this fact.
Until you can prove that bombs do not spawn randomly across the map in a way that can randomly, hugely favor one player over the other, or admit that this is a problem, it is unlikely that we will get anywhere. And if you choose to simply gloss over my main point again, then you've proven incapable of having a proper debate and so I won't bother responding.

(Also, if Sudden Death is legal, then we have no reason not to have WarioWare legal, as it's problem is randomly assigning advantages.)

Once again the %-based ruling cannot determine a winner when % is tied. This is the ultimate ruination of such a ruling and additionally it is disputed that hitting your opponent before bombs drop and being able to react to the bombs is actually much more skill-based than random wins based on who randomly has a random % that is randomly greater/lesser in relation to another random %.
Those two points make Sudden Death a more competitively viable option - I am not saying it is a popular opinion right now, nor am I saying I like it, but just showing you that it is a stronger stance than your position in the argument from what I see. I am open-minded about it (which is where I got to playing out Sudden Death, something I was against originally).
The %-based ruling cannot determine a winner with tied percent, that is definitely true. That is also why the fail-safe of "if a match goes to time and both stocks and percent are even, play a 1-stock 3min rematch with the same characters on the same stage" is there, to work around that problem.

A problem is only "the ultimate ruination of such a ruling" if a suitable solution cannot be found for it.

As for the disputing over sudden death's content, I agree that hitting your opponent before the bombs drop is an indication of skill (though as previously mentioned it has incredibly skewed matchups) however once the bombs start falling it is no longer a test of "who has better skill at the game", as both players are not tested evenly. If the game decides to randomly drop 12 bombs on one player and none on the other, and the person who has bombs dropped on them loses, what does that show? That the game decided to drop bombs on them, not that they are the worse player.

This is the same argument as with items in competitive smash, only hyper-focused as a single item spawn often equates to a full game loss. As items are not legal (people can react and catch items to in theory, but "Randomly spawning item catching" is not one of the skills we as a community have decided to test), neither will Sudden Death be, or at least if it is it will have it's work cut out for it (and/or come with a drastic change in rulings in competitive Smash).

Oh yes, and as for being
much more skill-based than random wins based on who randomly has a random % that is randomly greater/lesser in relation to another random %"
A character's percent is (almost) exclusively decided by interactions between players, which is not random. Where bombs/items/etc spawn are random, player interaction is not. If you are claiming that player interaction is random, then you are claiming to compete in random chance.

One cannot err to a "perfect" solution otherwise that in itself is a fallacy to dismiss something because it might not be absolute in every sense.
What is the stronger argument? <= We go with that until a stronger argument displaces it.
The strongest solution is to simply not have a time limit, as this way the match will simply continue until a winner is decided. This is infeasible to do in a tournament, however, as these things have time constraints. Therefore it won't be part of the ruleset.

The next strongest argument is theoretically to have these players do a 1-stock match with same characters/stage/etc, as this is simply a short match with even standing; if the players decide to stall to time (if possible) though, then we're back at needing another ruling ("Whoever has lower % at when Time is called for the tiebreaker wins" -> Why not do that in the first place and save time?). If there is no time limit to the rematch, then it's completely irrelevant and the original match should have just been played through.

After this comes the percent-based win, which is also non-optimal mostly because % does not actually display how close to death a character is; 100% to Jiggs/Kirby (who dies early) is very different than 100% to Bowser/Ganon (who normally die past 100%). With the percent-based ruling, if Kirby was at 90% and Bowser was at 91% then Kirby wins, despite actually being much closer to death (in theory; gimps and the like play into this as well of course).
And then you add cases like Lucario, who is only really relevant once they're at high percent, and it becomes a total mess to determine who's truly "ahead".
The upsides to this version of determining the victor is that it is both faster than the 2 'better' options, and that it is up to the player interactions to determine who actually has the higher percent at the point when time runs out.

Next comes playing out Sudden Death. It has the advantages of being both quick (in theory; bombs do not spawn under the stage however so you could avoid combat by 'planking' ((obviously not as effective as in Brawl)) and or occasionally grabbing the ledge while hanging out under the stage as villager/whoever. Also, SD has no time limit so if both players do this it could potentially never end) and of being what the game does automatically; note that this second advantage is an advantage that can be used as an argument point for why we should change to this, but not as a reason why we should expect it to be this way; the "default" for competitive smash, as it currently stands, is to not play out Sudden Death and to determine the victor through percent-based methods.
The downsides to this being that the winner can be determined in an extremely random way ("Who does the bomb drop on first?" has very little bearing on player skill), as well as the fact that there is potential for it to also take an excessive amount of time. Sudden Death has no timer, meaning that if both players can exploit sudden death (such as through planking ((obviously weakened heavily from Brawl)) or similar tactics such as hanging out under the stage where the bombs don't spawn using things such as Diddy's wall cling, Villager's Balloon Trip, etc and only grabbing the ledge when they have invincibility) then it can continue indefinitely, which means it has the same problem as the best option. Now obviously it is unlikely for this to happen, however it is still possible and that's a major problem.

This applies only to when it is impossible to determine a winner based on skill. For instance, port priority is to be determined by a random drawing of lots because the system itself cannot allow for two players to have the same exact physical port (i.e. "advantage").
So if I disagreed with you then I'd have to somehow select ports based on "skill" before competition could even start.
Indeed, certain allowances need to be made to have the competition within the system, and other have to be made so that tournaments can happen successfully. And that's also why there are rules in place to minimize the effect of things such as port priority, for example the ability (whether people often take advantage of it or otherwise) to re-select port priority if you just lost the last game (as part of the counterpicking process).
If there were a way to make everything purely come down to player skill, that would be optimal, however that is legitimately impossible with the current games. As such, our goal should be to minimize the impact of everything except for player skill.

When professional competitions use a coinflip or similar method it is generally due to an extreme situation, this differs from your "coinflip argument".
When theorycrafting we come to extreme situations. Does it happen in practice? Practically, no.
But even in the realm of theorycrafting it still does not follow:
When we have no %-based ruling and no time limit the chances of a stalemate is a practical phantasm. Add in playing out Sudden Death and it becomes practically non-existent. Now whoever gets the first successful hit in (skill-based) is the practical norm for sudden death, making the "random argument" a small fraction of a practically non-existent phantasm AND it is still debatable that handling the bombs is "random" instead of "reactionary" (that is to say skill-based).
Ultimately this puts the "coinflip" argument to bed.
Again, not saying it's popular or that I have personal opinion of liking it, just pointing out the stronger argument, competitively speaking.
(Although Sudden Death is hype when I see it played out)
Who said I was advocating it? I enjoy pointing out stronger arguments, I leave opinion to the individual.
You are correct, "When we have no %-based ruling and no time limit the chances of a stalemate is a practical phantasm". But that is not what we have.
What we currently have as the default way of determining the victor in the case of a stalemate is indeed a percent-based ruling, and as your stance is that Sudden Death is better you are trying to change it. Therefore you are in fact advocating for it, as "pointing out stronger arguments" is a way to advocate for said argument.

Anyways, I fail to see how your mention of the uses of coinflips in different sports and the like is relevant to the conversation at hand...
Also, we do indeed come to extreme situations in theorycrafting, because it doesn't matter if it happens in practice, a good ruleset has to be able to handle even the most extreme of corner cases. It doesn't matter until they show up, theoretically, but there has to be a ruling in place in case any such extreme situation does end up happening.
The "random argument" is still in fact relevant, because while rare, time outs can potentially (and do in fact) happen. As such, there has to be a rule in place to handle it.
Also, you're missing a very important part of what I'm saying: I am not claiming that handling the bombs is random, at all. I am claiming that where the bombs drop (horizontally, and therefore which player they effect more/first) is random, and that is not acceptable - especially due to how influential the bombs are.

Normal gameplay is how the software functions.
The proof is in the pudding.
If you just made a statement to the contrary then you're going to need the proof how the software declares a winner based on damage%, because I am going to say I don't believe the software functions that way.
If we did not have a general ruleset in place, nor a history of game rulesets to go from, this would be true as we would be creating a ruleset completely from scratch. And it is indeed how the software functions, I'm not claiming otherwise.

However, as of this moment what the Smash community at large uses to determine the victor in case of a timeout is "If time runs out, the winner is the player with more stocks upon time out, and if stocks are tied then the player with the lower percent upon time out. If both stock and percent are the same, or both players are KO'd on the same frame, then a 1stock 3min tiebreaker match is played with the same characters/stage.".
This is what the vast majority of tournaments currently run, and this is one instance where popularity is in fact extremely relevant. It does not make it correct, however it is extremely important to note that this is the "default" that the community is using at this time. At some point in the past, this was decided to be better than Sudden Death. It is now on you to convince people that SD is better if you want that to change back to how it was.

Ah, but it is much easier to KO a high percent opponent (what you mistakenly labeled "losing") thus resulting in a reset where the players try to battle it out again for winning.
But I believe there's all too much evidence showing how much stalling happens when time is ticking down.
Yes, it is easier to KO a high-percent opponent. This is only slightly relevant to the conversation, however. If you're a Villager who can simply run away under the stage, or Sonic on a stage where you can run away for the next, say 45sec, it's not going to matter if you're at high percent if you're not going to land a kill move on them. And either way it still gives the player who has more percent (has been damaged more on this last stock, which in our current ruleset is losing) an incentive to run away, to the same level as the (current ruleset) winner currently has (if not more, as they already don't want to approach if they don't have to).

It is up to the player to not get hit/damaged more than the opponent before time runs out, and they shouldn't be artificially rewarding for being put at a disadvantage.

Are you advocating not to use time as it would entail to do so in your example?
I wouldn't mind that nor would I really mind time, but what I do mind is some arbitrary ruling like %-based wins and I think we are both agreeing to that opinion.
I am not advocating for no time, though I do believe that would be better purely for deciding the victor.
However, that is completely infeasible to do while trying to run a tournament, because they need to finish within a set amount of time.
What I'm saying is that while not perfect, the current rules are superior to playing out Sudden Death, and therefore that we should not use it.

I would answer that by pointing out it is a leading question, the usual response to leading questions is "I do not give a hangman rope."
People get hyped when Sudden Death is being played out - this is simply what I see happen (crowds of people gather and shout/cheer). Usually this is a welcomed thing at events, so I encourage it and I don't seek to explain the phenomenon.
Then how would you rather me ask it after you already dodged my question twice based specifically on how I asked it rather than the content of the question? If you honestly cannot tell what I'm asking then that's one thing, but I really don't believe that to be the case here.
And choosing not to look for reasons behind something is foolhardy; using purely anecdotal evidence to support your claim after specifically stating that you don't care to look for why is almost insulting. However, in response to your claim of seeing 'Hype sudden death matches', I've seen people get hyped when a match is coming down to time because it's 'intense' there too.

Kind of a low-blow to present a "problem" that doesn't seem to be there as a red herring, I thought our discussion would be above that kind of rhetoric.
How many times must I state that my main problem is with the bombs, and not (well, just a lesser amount actually) with the 300% portion? Kind of a low-blow to completely ignore what I've said multiple times, isn't it?

Psychology of players is outside the scope of rule-crafting, just the same as explaining why people get hyped when Sudden Death is played out.
I'm sorry?
You made a claim, and when I point out that you fail to say why (or otherwise prove) that this happens, you say you don't need to prove it?
That's not how discussion works, let alone debate...

Again, the perfection fallacy here. The reason why it is a stronger argument is that of Practicality is greater than Theory.
That is what I was saying. No-time stock matches would be ideal, but they won't work because we have time limits out of game.
That is what I said, and the point I was making. That isn't a fallacy, you are saying exactly what I said. What is the purpose of this?

Theoretically the %-based ruling could have NO ENDING and thus take INFINITE TIME.
If your conditional what-if scenario is used then reasonably we still have a stronger argument than the %-based ruling (again, we seem to be agreeing with the flaws inherent with a %-based ruling so maybe we can dispense with the formalities there).
Sudden Death could as well, especially as there is no timer. Also, one potential answer to both of these problems is to say that "Neither player hit a win condition, thus both have lost" if it really comes down to it.

If that is the whole debate then it would be up to someone to show why something needs to be changed, not the other way around.
Yes. I agree. What you're not understanding, however, is that in this specific case (Sudden Death), the in-game ruling has been externally changed by our ruleset, similar to how we do all of our matches with a set number of stocks (and stock mode itself). As you are arguing to change back to Sudden Death, you are the one who must show both why the current method needs to be changed, and why your proposed method is better.

Well, there you go.
Either ban the move or admit random does not violate competitive principles. The other course of action is to demonstrate how the principle itself neds to change which I am hard-pressed to do so.
Thank you for once again completely ignoring my point...
Random, in and of itself, is not inherently uncompetitive.
The distinction between Sudden Death's random and Judge is this:
- Judge is a move where one player decides to take a risk, and that must be skillfully used to gain any form of reward
- Sudden Death is completely random in which player it favors, and as such does not make for a fair grounds for competition

One of these things falls under PvP interaction, which is our goal, and the other has absolutely no influence from player skill.
NOTE: I am, once again, NOT saying you cannot react to the bombs. I'm saying that they favor a player at random, which is unacceptable.

Seeing as you did not cite your source one may come to the conclusion it is cherry-picked.
Lucky for you I have read up on the definitions and etymology of "random" and am intimately aware of its communication, so I'd like to know why you didn't include:
(1)
The word itself is meaning "run" as in a wild, stampeding horse whose direction is not known due to how fast it is. Random is simply stating it is beyond the human brain to comprehend.
This is why the dropping of bombs would not be considered "random" because the players should know the time they will start dropping and how to react accordingly. This is why when someone gets hit with a "random" Forward-Smash we don't redo the game and say "look, dude, that attack was just too fast for him to react to, play it again".
Sorry about that, I found the definition by going to google.com and searching "Define:Random".
The dropping of bombs, as a whole, is non-random. Big whoop.
The location where they drop, and who they randomly favor, is random.

And hey look, that's by both definitions, too! How many times must I say this?
In a competition of skill, leaving the winner up to random chance is completely against said skill-based competition.

As for the "Random" Fsmash, that is not random. You even cite a second source, then provide an example of a player choosing (conscious decision) to throw out an Fsmash (not an event where all outcomes are equally likely) as an example of non-random, when said example is non-random by both definitions? What?

And if bombs fell on players at the exact same time rather than randomly favoring one or the other, I would completely agree with this statement.

Can you say though, that if the game decides to drop all bombs on one player and not a single one on the other, and the first player gets killed by a bomb, that he should have gotten better (than his opponent, as the whole goal of the competition is to prove yourself better than the opponent within the rules of the system)?
They may have been better than their opponent, but their opponent wasn't tested at all.

What happened was you used the coinflip argument, which was put to bed. At best it can be argued as a matter of opinion, at which case someone should competitively just say "lol, get better, scrub".
Where was the coinflip argument "put to bed"?
The "coinflip argument" that I was making is, once again, in extremely clear language (hopefully no more misunderstandings? Please?), this:
"The random location in which the bombs in Sudden Death spawn can be roughly equated to a coinflip, in that they marginalize player skill from the time they spawn forward and are likely to decide the winner of the match through random means as opposed to player skill."

Again, not advocating one side or the other, I simply followed our reasoning out to that point and allow individuals to make their educated choice in the matter to determine just how competitive their competitive tournaments are.
By arguing that Sudden Death is superior to percent-based rulings, you are advocating for Sudden Death.
Here, look! I'll even use your site for the definition this time
"V: To speak, plead, or argue in favor of."
"N: 1) One that argues for a cause; a supporter or defender.
2) One that pleads on another's behalf; an intercessor.
3) A lawyer."

I'm afraid an "absolute law" would be beyond the scope of the discussion here as it goes on to a deeper philosophical discussion which is actually where my academic studies are and from there is my source of epistimology regarding these discussions.
That is my point, you are citing "competitiveness" as a purely designed concept without explaining what you define it as. Please explain how things are more competitive in the future, rather than simply going "It just is".

And it is from the many generations of great thinkers who dug the wells of knowledge from which I prefer to go to drink.
Once again I do not err to an absolute perfection but instead see the wisdom that someone like David Sirlin has provided and I take up where to best go from there. At this point in time I am lead to believe that %-based win is a weaker solution and there are at least two greater solutions provided both in this thread and discussed elsewhere.
Hide it behind 'fancy' phrasing all you like, however all you're saying here is that you're going by Sirlin's word while admitting that it's not perfect.
Please show me the other method you consider superior, however, as it may interest me.
Also, just to reiterate once more, Sudden Death will interest me if you can prove that the bombs do not randomly favor one player over the other.

It's up to the public to find the well of knowledge presented here and make an educated decision "how to resolve a stalemate".
(The short answer very early on is that stalemates don't practically happen in Sudden Death).
Agreed, people should be expected to draw their own conclusions; this is both a great thing and necessary.

Where do you get that stalemates don't practically happen in Sudden Death, though? If a stalemate-esque situation is reached in SD, there is no reason for it to not continue indefinitely, as there is no time limit.
Certainly it holds true assuming everyone charges at their opponent or waits on-stage for bombs to drop, but that is not something we can assume; if so, we wouldn't need a time-out ruling.

(Also, DANG are these getting looooooooooong...)

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Stop. Please, actually read what I write.
Considering I spent a lot of time reading every last word of what you post this kind of reply is a detriment to discussion.

My problem with sudden death is (mostly) the influence of the bomb-omb's random spawning location potentially heavily favoring one player due to no act of their own skill.
There's no way random can favor one player.
It's random.

How well one player handles the bomb-ombs is completely irrelevant if the other is not tested by them whatsoever.
Not sure what this means, it's too ambiguous.

Please stop ignoring this fact.
It's an assertion that doesn't have anything backing it up, not a fact.

Until you can prove that bombs do not spawn randomly across the map
What I said was I did not believe your claim they they are "completely" random, as such I told you they cannot be "completely" random because they always spawn at the same time and in the same area.
It's not up to me to prove the contrary to your claim, that's your burden to prove your claim.

(Also, if Sudden Death is legal, then we have no reason not to have WarioWare legal, as it's problem is randomly assigning advantages.)
That's a leap in conclusion and a tangent.
If you want to allow Warioware, a Stage with excessive transformation, then go for it. But I don't include it on my striking list because it has excessive transformation, not because it sets damage at 300% to determine a next-hit-KO decision.

The %-based ruling cannot determine a winner with tied percent, that is definitely true. That is also why the fail-safe of "if a match goes to time and both stocks and percent are even, play a 1-stock 3min rematch with the same characters on the same stage" is there, to work around that problem.
And the problem of that is if it times out or a double KO concludes that match it cannot ever resolve.
Of course that's also why tournaments like Apex which use this ruling also state that Sudden Death will be played out.
Durr...
Makes one question why not just skip right to the 1-stock rematch or Sudden Death to begin with, it's a lot more fair than arbitrarily assuming Jigglypuff is "winning" being at 79% when King Dedede is at 80%.

A problem is only "the ultimate ruination of such a ruling" if a suitable solution cannot be found for it.
Alas, the %-based tie-breaker has that kind of fatal error.

As for the disputing over sudden death's content, I agree that hitting your opponent before the bombs drop is an indication of skill (though as previously mentioned it has incredibly skewed matchups) however once the bombs start falling it is no longer a test of "who has better skill at the game", as both players are not tested evenly.
Matchups don't determine rules, there's no way to play the game with even matchups and people shouldn't attempt to do so competitively, that is anathema to attempt to do so.
And I disagree, I think the player who has better reaction, strategy, and reads are winning Sudden Death due to these skills. It's not a coin-flip.

If the game decides to randomly drop 12 bombs on one player and none on the other, and the person who has bombs dropped on them loses, what does that show?
It shows you have plenty of misconceptions and prejudgments of the game to make that jump in conclusion.
I wouldn't assume this is even a possibility and would like to see how you came to this understanding.

This is the same argument as with items in competitive smash, only hyper-focused as a single item spawn often equates to a full game loss.
No, because items can spawn at any time in any given Stage location without warning.

A character's percent is (almost) exclusively decided by interactions between players, which is not random.
I disagree, it's rather impossible to predict said interactions between players, if it weren't random you could tell me who would win a match at a tournament and by what set score and predict the stock count and damage % at the end of the set.

If you are claiming that player interaction is random, then you are claiming to compete in random chance.
Yep, life is random as well. Smash is a microcosm of life. See above for details.

The strongest solution is to simply not have a time limit, as this way the match will simply continue until a winner is decided. This is infeasible to do in a tournament, however, as these things have time constraints. Therefore it won't be part of the ruleset.
I'd say it's infeasible in theory, but not in practice.
I know this a posteriori, as I've run tournaments with varying timers on 3-stock (7, 8, 10, 99, and infinite time). Nothing really changed.

If there were a way to make everything purely come down to player skill, that would be optimal, however that is legitimately impossible with the current games. As such, our goal should be to minimize the impact of everything except for player skill.
Sounds like what most every competitor would be ok with as a goal with their game.

What we currently have as the default way of determining the victor in the case of a stalemate is indeed a percent-based ruling, and as your stance is that Sudden Death is better you are trying to change it. Therefore you are in fact advocating for it, as "pointing out stronger arguments" is a way to advocate for said argument.
Except the premise that it is the "default" is untrue.

Anyways, I fail to see how your mention of the uses of coinflips in different sports and the like is relevant to the conversation at hand...
I can only show you the door.

Also, we do indeed come to extreme situations in theorycrafting, because it doesn't matter if it happens in practice, a good ruleset has to be able to handle even the most extreme of corner cases.
But not at the expense of competition.

The "random argument" is still in fact relevant, because while rare, time outs can potentially (and do in fact) happen. As such, there has to be a rule in place to handle it.
I don't believe so, considering the game handles it without the out-of-game rules.

Also, you're missing a very important part of what I'm saying: I am not claiming that handling the bombs is random, at all. I am claiming that where the bombs drop (horizontally, and therefore which player they effect more/first) is random, and that is not acceptable - especially due to how influential the bombs are.
Yeah, and I never saw how "random" violated competitive principles.

This is what the vast majority of tournaments currently run, and this is one instance where popularity is in fact extremely relevant. It does not make it correct, however it is extremely important to note that this is the "default" that the community is using at this time. At some point in the past, this was decided to be better than Sudden Death. It is now on you to convince people that SD is better if you want that to change back to how it was.
I've demonstrated it through reason.
It's out of my hands now, the fallacy ad populum can continue or a stronger solution can be used. I'll continue talking it out with whomever wants to listen and listen to those who want to talk.
This is how I've helped develop rules prior and until I find a better way of getting things done I'll be stuck with this approach.

It is up to the player to not get hit/damaged more than the opponent before time runs out, and they shouldn't be artificially rewarding for being put at a disadvantage.
If it is how the game naturally functions I don't see how it could reasonably be seen as "artificial".

What I'm saying is that while not perfect, the current rules are superior to playing out Sudden Death, and therefore that we should not use it.
That statement is fine to make as an opinion, but reason is greater than opinion or else rules would get nowhere as everyone has their own opinion.

Then how would you rather me ask it after you already dodged my question twice based specifically on how I asked it rather than the content of the question? If you honestly cannot tell what I'm asking then that's one thing, but I really don't believe that to be the case here.
Another leading question, I don't choose that you ask the question at all. It was simply a response on my own experience.
And, yes, there is hype surrounding a time-out as well, I don't expect you to explain why unless you're doing some kind of psychological essay for me or something.

How many times must I state that my main problem is with the bombs, and not (well, just a lesser amount actually) with the 300% portion? Kind of a low-blow to completely ignore what I've said multiple times, isn't it?
What's the problem about them?
Random? (See above)

I'm sorry?
You made a claim, and when I point out that you fail to say why (or otherwise prove) that this happens, you say you don't need to prove it?
I would never knowingly say I don't need to back up a claim, don't be silly.

That is what I was saying
. No-time stock matches would be ideal, but they won't work because we have time limits out of game.
That is what I said, and the point I was making. That isn't a fallacy, you are saying exactly what I said. What is the purpose of this?
I think you missed the point about fallacy of perfection. That is not denying what you said.

Sudden Death could as well, especially as there is no timer. Also, one potential answer to both of these problems is to say that "Neither player hit a win condition, thus both have lost" if it really comes down to it.
Essentially that would be a disqualification for stalling out a match, which seems perfectly viable.
If two players sit there and do absolutely nothing with their characters while they watched the time run out and continue to do that for their whole match (and Sudden Death is not being played out) then neither would win unless Sudden Death is played out.

Yes. I agree. What you're not understanding, however, is that in this specific case (Sudden Death), the in-game ruling has been externally changed by our ruleset, similar to how we do all of our matches with a set number of stocks (and stock mode itself). As you are arguing to change back to Sudden Death, you are the one who must show both why the current method needs to be changed, and why your proposed method is better.
That's an odd way of looking at it; I don't agree with that position.
I am not arguing that a ruling should be made/changed, I simply have been following the reasoning and pointing out the stronger argument.

Thank you for once again completely ignoring my point...
Random, in and of itself, is not inherently uncompetitive.
Thanks for answering this directly.
I think this is the most important answer and worth all the hard work on this discussion.

- Sudden Death is completely random in which player it favors, and as such does not make for a fair grounds for competition
Already shown how it is not completely random.

One of these things falls under PvP interaction, which is our goal, and the other has absolutely no influence from player skill.
NOTE: I am, once again, NOT saying you cannot react to the bombs. I'm saying that they favor a player at random, which is unacceptable.
It seems to be contrary to state something can be both raomdom and favoring a player.
This is then an illogical argument.
Also explains why "random" is not considered a violation of competition.

And hey look, that's by both definitions, too! How many times must I say this?
In a competition of skill, leaving the winner up to random chance is completely against said skill-based competition.
Judgement says otherwise.

As for the "Random" Fsmash, that is not random. You even cite a second source, then provide an example of a player choosing (conscious decision) to throw out an Fsmash (not an event where all outcomes are equally likely) as an example of non-random, when said example is non-random by both definitions? What?
I was showing how it was random based on the other definitions to distance the cherry picking.
Random just means "fast", to race (as in "run"/"ran") - throwing out a "random" F-Smash is random if it was too fast for someone to defend against.

And if bombs fell on players at the exact same time rather than randomly favoring one or the other, I would completely agree with this statement.
And when it does there is still skill involved (DI, vectoring, strategy, etc.)
There is no "favoring" one "randomly" that I can see.

Can you say though, that if the game decides to drop all bombs on one player and not a single one on the other, and the first player gets killed by a bomb, that he should have gotten better (than his opponent, as the whole goal of the competition is to prove yourself better than the opponent within the rules of the system)?
Another leading question. The answer to this conundrum is that the game doesn't "decide" on biased decisions, there's no free will artificial intelligence ghost-in-the-machine going on there.

Where was the coinflip argument "put to bed"?
When it was shown that Sudden Death is not a coin-flip, to argue it is would be a folly since coin-flips do not involve a last-hit KO scenario with controllers being used by the players.

"The random location in which the bombs in Sudden Death spawn can be roughly equated to a coinflip, in that they marginalize player skill from the time they spawn forward and are likely to decide the winner of the match through random means as opposed to player skill."
This would be true if the players unplugged their controllers.
To illustrate why I would be inclined to believe you are wrong is a simple matter:
Have one player unplug their controller and the other player allowed to use their controller to evade/utilize the bombs in their favor.
If it were a coinflip situation it would be a 50-50 determination, but seeing as there's on player being allowed to utilize their skills influencing the decision I'll leave it to your own interpretations on how the 50-50 scenario would change.
Conclusively not a coinflip (unless you do your coinflips differently than I?)

That is my point, you are citing "competitiveness" as a purely designed concept without explaining what you define it as. Please explain how things are more competitive in the future, rather than simply going "It just is".
Sorry, I thought you read my preliminary writings on this as you said you would.
I don't generally say "it just is", so please don't try to paint an image of me like that to strawman.

Hide it behind 'fancy' phrasing all you like, however all you're saying here is that you're going by Sirlin's word while admitting that it's not perfect.
If there is a truth than both me and Sirlin and every other philosopher would be going by the same thing, there's no wrong in doing so.
And no understanding can be perfect; once again, the perfection fallacy - this isn't reason to deny valid conclusions/stronger arguments.

Please show me the other method you consider superior, however, as it may interest me.
I believe both the 1-stock rematch and playing out Sudden Death are superior to the %-based win.
No need to show you as we've discussed them both.

Also, just to reiterate once more, Sudden Death will interest me if you can prove that the bombs do not randomly favor one player over the other.
I'm not the one making the claim of "favor".
I'm not trying to convince you of one way or there other, just following the logic to the strongest model/argument for my own benefit.
I'm drinking from your well of knowledge here, I would find it rude to try to define your world views.

Where do you get that stalemates don't practically happen in Sudden Death, though? If a stalemate-esque situation is reached in SD, there is no reason for it to not continue indefinitely, as there is no time limit.
Note the word "practically", that is in practice (or the "real world").
It is a possibility in theory. Practicality is more important than theorycrafting what-if scenarios.
When something becomes a practical problem to the competition it is then resolved, but a chicken little scenario is far more detrimental which is why theorycrafting is good to thinking ahead but not to enact immediately (granted, there may be some exceptions, but exceptions are never standards).

Certainly it holds true assuming everyone charges at their opponent or waits on-stage for bombs to drop, but that is not something we can assume; if so, we wouldn't need a time-out ruling.
I'm not sure if this holds true. Seems to be a subjective opinion.

(Also, DANG are these getting looooooooooong...)
Long, but fun.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
There's no way random can favor one player.
It's random.
It seems to be contrary to state something can be both raomdom and favoring a player.
Also explains why "random" is not considered a violation of competition.
I'm sorry, but no. This makes no sense (the player which random favors is random, but that doesn't mean that it can't favor one player).
I really don't get how you don't understand this...

Of course that's also why tournaments like Apex which use this ruling also state that Sudden Death will be played out.
Durr...
But that's wrong?
Here's a link to Apex's ruleset, this year.
The relevant quote:
Time Outs/Ties: The winner of a match that goes to time (time out) will be determined by stocks and percentage. When the timer hits 0:00 player with the higher stock count is the winner. If both players are tied in stocks the player with the lower percentage is the winner. In the event of a percentage tie, or a match in which both players lost their last stock simultaneously, a 1 stock tiebreaker will be played with time limit equal to the regular time limit divided by the regular number of stocks, rounded. Sudden Death is not to be played at all, and will not count.

Yep, life is random as well. Smash is a microcosm of life. See above for details.
Random just means "fast", to race (as in "run"/"ran")
And this is where I stop. I give up; random just means "Fast"? What? And as for life being random, that's inherently false and if everything is random then what is the point in competing? If the winner is determined through random chance, why practice?

Anyways, though not for the reason I originally stated (ignoring my point, as you technically acknowledged it), this will likely be my last post in this thread. I wish you luck in finding the strongest argument and informing people. For now I suppose we will have to agree to disagree.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I'm sorry, but no. This makes no sense (the player which random favors is random, but that doesn't mean that it can't favor one player).

But that's wrong?
The relevant quote:

And this is where I stop. I give up; random just means "Fast"? What? And as for life being random, that's inherently false and if everything is random then what is the point in competing? If the winner is determined through random chance, why practice?

Anyways, though not for the reason I originally stated (ignoring my point, as you technically acknowledged it), this will likely be my last post in this thread. I wish you luck in finding the strongest argument and informing people. For now I suppose we will have to agree to disagree.

Have a nice day.
I apologize; however, I am confused by your post. In your first response you assert that it is contrary to declare that something can be random whilst also favoring a player, thereby making the argument illogical. However, in your second response, you assert that something can be random whilst also favoring a player.

Ruben

Smash Cadet
I apologize; however, I am confused by your post. In your first response you assert that it is contrary to declare that something can be random whilst also favoring a player, thereby making the argument illogical. However, in your second response, you assert that something can be random whilst also favoring a player.
If you are going to point out double standards. Do it for both parties otherwise you are just throwing objectivity out of the window. T0mmy you have the same double standard going on. He also made some idiotic claim about the word random. By the way, I sent that to the head of my English department and he responded by ridiculing me because I forgot to mention it was your odd and untrue definition and not mine. I just explained to him that it wasn't my idea and hope he believes me. Take that for what it is worth. Also, the idea of citing sources is fine, but if you are going to call someone out for not citing something then it is implied that all ideas should be cited if possible. T0mmy, there were ideas that were citable that you didn't cite. As for why Jaxas seems to have a double standard; T0mmy is masking his in ability to make a closed argument by bringing up other questionable things that then steer the conversation into other things. Jaxas then has ideas on these things that make sense in context, but when taken and compared to other topics do not make sense. It's a common tabloid interview tactic that journalists employ. All of what's being said comes down to this. T0mmy has a differing opinion on sudden death (nothing wrong with that). However, he cannot defend his idea very well so he hides behind the idea that he is just "pointing out the better option." Again a common tactic used by tabloids when they speak about rumors. Anyways, Jaxas doesn't know when to shut up because he doesn't know he already won this argument. I.E. Almost everyone agrees with him in the competitive community. So, T0mmy (being the clever little guy he is) just keeps rewording his argument in hopes that Jaxas will mess up and say something stupid or incorrect when trying to reword his response. Jaxas, stahp! Lol or you guys can keep going for my entertainment if you want. I'm very bored, I'm just playing smash with my new controller. I had to get a new one because the one I was using got stolen a while back. . .

T0MMY

Smash Master
If you are going to point out double standards. Do it for both parties otherwise you are just throwing objectivity out of the window. T0mmy you have the same double standard going on.
Unless there was a typo I don't believe so (please show quote so I can fix if so).
Random and favoring does not make sense, which is what I was pointing out.

By the way, I sent that to the head of my English department and he responded by ridiculing me because I forgot to mention it was your odd and untrue definition and not mine.
I provided a definition, which I provide the link to, if your source disagrees then he can take it up with thefreedictionary.com.
Unless you sent the origin of the word, which I got from etymonline.
Any interpretations of origins of words regarding Smash Bros. is of my own opinion and I wouldn't expect an English dept head to understand.

if you are going to call someone out for not citing something then it is implied that all ideas should be cited if possible.
No call outs, just wondering what the source was. I'll always provide sources where applicable and asked, though this kind of practice is rather out of place in a video game forum.

T0mmy has a differing opinion on sudden death (nothing wrong with that). However, he cannot defend his idea very well so he hides behind the idea that he is just "pointing out the better option." Again a common tactic used by tabloids when they speak about rumors.
Actually that would be wrong on both accounts as both me and Jaxas agree on the topic of discussion (differing opinion seems to be regarding the reasoning behind the agreement though, as I don't see why playing out Sudden Death would violate any competitive principles if random elements are employed in competition and assuming it is a random win).
To simply state I am using tabloid paper tactics without showing reasoning for the assertion doesn't mean I am wrong for remaining skeptical, all it reasonably demonstrates is an attempt to mar my image which does not affect my reasoning (though I may not be perfect I can at least aim to have a reasonably formed argument).

There is no 'defense' (that is to say support, I assume) of ideas if I am not making claims/assertions; The position I like to take is to simply verify claims and see which is the strongest solution (for instance I do not make a claim that Sudden Death should not be used so the burden is not on me to prove such).
Because this is not a debate with winner/lose (as far as I can tell and stated) there is no way one has "already won this argument" since I am interested in validating assertions to see which model is strongest (which is to say everyone wins by taking what they can from the discussion at the end of it and progress from there).

Ok, so we agree to that.

Well, it was your statement, and if it's illogical then it only makes sense that I don'tm ake sense of it:

Jaxas said:

If you are saying such a random event is both like a coin-flip and can favor one player then please reasonably demonstrate how. Otherwise I will remain skeptical, as I do not make it a habit to take unfounded claims as a truth just offhand.

But that's wrong?
The relevant quote:
No, I didn't say it was wrong. I think actually I was saying the contrary.
Thanks for the link to the new rules, which is an interesting change from the previous national rulings playing out SD. At this point I am unsure how a round could be resolved for a stalemate situation and if it cannot be resolved as per the rules that would be all the more reason why I will not copy & paste thoughtlessly.

I traced the word "random" when first writing about how "random" affects competition a while back:

[URL='http://etymonline.com/index.php?term=random&allowed_in_frame=0' said:
etymonline[/URL]]"having no definite aim or purpose," 1650s, from at random (1560s), "at great speed" (thus, "carelessly, haphazardly"), alteration of Middle English noun randon "impetuosity, speed" (c.1300), from Old French randon "rush, disorder, force, impetuosity," from randir "to run fast," from Frankish *rant "a running" or some other Germanic source, from Proto-Germanic *randa (cognates: Old High German rennen "to run," Old English rinnan "to flow, to run;" see run (v.)).

The rest of my statement regarding the macrocosm of life is an analogy to the microcosm of Smash competition and isn't meant to be digested all at once, so I'll leave it to you to answer the question as to why practice or compete in Smash, life, and everything (goes beyond the scope of the topic).

this will likely be my last post in this thread. I wish you luck in finding the strongest argument and informing people. For now I suppose we will have to agree to disagree.
I don't disagree, but I will choose to remain skeptical with all unfounded assertions.
There do seem to be some conclusions, saying nothing about the degree of their strengths though:
1) %-based win ruling is very much flawed in both execution and competitive theory.
2) Both 1-stock rematch and Sudden Death appear to be stronger alternatives to using %-based win.
3) Sudden Death seems to not be a popular alternative.
4) And regarding the original post I responded to: Sudden Death stalemates do not happen in practice, therefore it seems unnecessary to try to resolve a problem of a stalemate.
There is the world of theorycrafting what-if scenarios (stalling out a match, stalling out Sudden Death, and then both players perfectly evading all bombs while simultaneously not attempting to KO their opponent).
And there is the world of practicality where if something like this happens then it would be, as the Street Fighter community so eloquently put "hypest match ever" if it were to actually happen.

Have a nice day.
Thanks for helping with the discussion, and have a happy forthcoming new year.

Last edited:

Ruben

Smash Cadet
Hahaha T0mmy, I'm done here. Your trying to do the same to me. By the way, origins don't difine modern meaning and to try and use an older meaning and citing a dictionary that is questionable is a dirty little trick. Doesn't hold up sorry. You can reply if you want, but I just had to let people know what you were doing. I won't be reading from this point on because you are just gonna say something outrages to keep attention until you get everyone to mess up. You dodge questions by trying semantics. Ugh. If citing doesn't fit in a forum then stop asking people to do it. K, bye.

Last edited:

Ruben

Smash Cadet
I bet your first thought was to attack my use of the word fit while knowing exactly what I meant. You are gonna deny this, but I know, and I won't read your denial anyways. Hahaha

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Whoops, I screwed up the quote tags; that was from T0mmy's post. Fixed now!

Ok, so we agree to that.
Those were your own words, not me agreeing with you. Honestly would have assumed you would have realized that, but the fault was mine.

Also, (for real this time) the last thing I'll say in this thread:
If you are saying such a random event is both like a coin-flip and can favor one player then please reasonably demonstrate how. Otherwise I will remain skeptical, as I do not make it a habit to take unfounded claims as a truth just offhand.
Random is 'fair', in that each player has the same likelyhood of being favored by the coinflip/etc.
Random favors one player (in this case heavily, as it potentially grants them the win through no skill of their own), but which player it favors is random.
As far as "quickly determining a winner" goes, it works. As for "quickly determining the better player" (which is the whole point of the competitions we run), it is useless.

@ Ruben Ruben
Just a heads up, but you should probably edit your posts in to one post; the mods tend to hand out warnings for double-posting (Just change your 2nd post into "Mods please delete" or something after copying it into your first post).

Morbi

Scavenger
If you are going to point out double standards. Do it for both parties otherwise you are just throwing objectivity out of the window. T0mmy you have the same double standard going on. He also made some idiotic claim about the word random. By the way, I sent that to the head of my English department and he responded by ridiculing me because I forgot to mention it was your odd and untrue definition and not mine. I just explained to him that it wasn't my idea and hope he believes me. Take that for what it is worth. Also, the idea of citing sources is fine, but if you are going to call someone out for not citing something then it is implied that all ideas should be cited if possible. T0mmy, there were ideas that were citable that you didn't cite. As for why Jaxas seems to have a double standard; T0mmy is masking his in ability to make a closed argument by bringing up other questionable things that then steer the conversation into other things. Jaxas then has ideas on these things that make sense in context, but when taken and compared to other topics do not make sense. It's a common tabloid interview tactic that journalists employ. All of what's being said comes down to this. T0mmy has a differing opinion on sudden death (nothing wrong with that). However, he cannot defend his idea very well so he hides behind the idea that he is just "pointing out the better option." Again a common tactic used by tabloids when they speak about rumors. Anyways, Jaxas doesn't know when to shut up because he doesn't know he already won this argument. I.E. Almost everyone agrees with him in the competitive community. So, T0mmy (being the clever little guy he is) just keeps rewording his argument in hopes that Jaxas will mess up and say something stupid or incorrect when trying to reword his response. Jaxas, stahp! Lol or you guys can keep going for my entertainment if you want. I'm very bored, I'm just playing smash with my new controller. I had to get a new one because the one I was using got stolen a while back. . .
Ease up on the ad hominem, I did not intend to point out any double standards. First of all, I did not establish a double standard; I was genuinely confused by antithetical assertions seemingly made by the same person and I inquired as to which one was his. He responded with clarity and that is all I asked of him. Secondly, you also contradict yourself dear friend, the only difference is that my claim is not utterly fallacious. This time, it is really a double standard that I am pointing out.

I bet your first thought was to attack my use of the word fit while knowing exactly what I meant. You are gonna deny this, but I know, and I won't read your denial anyways. Hahaha
For what it is worth, you are probably the most mature and knowledgeable member in this thread, or a shady clairvoyant. Such objectivity, much articulation, wow.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Whoops, I screwed up the quote tags; that was from T0mmy's post. Fixed now!
Sorry for the confusion (on both our parts?) as I there may well be a typo in my post (not sure which quote was quoted now). I did have very cold hands when typing one of those posts and had to go back and correct a number of typos so the chances of typing something contrary isn't out of the question with my post.
However, dwell not on it, as it should be clear in context.

Random is 'fair', in that each player has the same likelyhood of being favored by the coinflip/etc.
Random favors one player (in this case heavily, as it potentially grants them the win through no skill of their own), but which player it favors is random.
Well, we have: "Random is fair."
So no violation of fairness principle. Got it. However, the rest of the response is begging the question.

For the sake of conclusiveness: it was demonstrated that Sudden Death is not granting wins through "no skill" of the players' (if this were true then one player could theoretically unplug their controller and still have a straight mathematical 50% chance of winning similar to that of a coin-flip).

As far as "quickly determining a winner" goes, it works. As for "quickly determining the better player" (which is the whole point of the competitions we run), it is useless.
Not sure how anyone could reasonably agree to this thought process - just saying "it is useless" doesn't have much weight, as that's about as compelling as saying "because I'm right" or just saying "nah, you're wrong".

Top Bottom