• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to practice with ZSS?

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
I feel like my ZSS isn't improving at a steady rate. I play with my friends very very often and I feel like they're so used to my style with ZSS that she can't grow reliably playing them. I don't want to go online because she's a bit janky with her short hops with my less than stellar internet.

So besides playing some new people locally, what can I do with ZSS to improve while I'm by myself?

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
I would go into training mode and practice your combos. Practice spacing nair on shield properly, practice your air dodge reads, especially with down B. you can get lots of surprise kills with that. practice your combos out of dsmash. Personally i use wifi to practice reading, but u do u. Also, i get the whole "only playing with a few people" problem. I have the same. go on facebook if u haver one and look up your region's smash community page. for example, i am part of the socal smash community on facebook. you can get local matches there, as well as stronger wifi connections for being closer to them. but yeah, if you fight the same people over and over, i don't think you will improve that much, at least in fundamental. however, you can implement new tech and combos into your play all the time, so i would focus more on that.
Good luck:)

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Man I would trade all my tech skill to improve that one core fundamental for zss which is reading properly.

My play style is to basic or textbook/flow charty.

It's seems I am somewhat becoming more aware of certain things but my star graph has me improving in 1 aspect and losing points in another....

AstroCRiS

Smash Cadet
Man I would trade all my tech skill to improve that one core fundamental for zss which is reading properly.

My play style is to basic or textbook/flow charty.

It's seems I am somewhat becoming more aware of certain things but my star graph has me improving in 1 aspect and losing points in another....

With me it's like I'm only good at reading rolls, airdogdges, and shield options and that's it. Players who spot dodge **** me up :/

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
For me when in footsies, sometimes i will charge a down smash, because it's pretty safe on shield when charged and it catches spot dodges when i charge it.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
With me it's like I'm only good at reading rolls, airdogdges, and shield options and that's it. Players who spot dodge **** me up :/
I would trade my zss tech skill for that I frauded out today and took 5th for the first time in like 3 months of me consecutively placing top 3 (generally 2nd and some first).
I am pretty salty that I lack a very crucial fundamental to playing zss at high level and lose a lot of easily won or salvaged games because of it.

Honor

Smash Apprentice
I would trade my zss tech skill for that I frauded out today and took 5th for the first time in like 3 months of me consecutively placing top 3 (generally 2nd and some first).
I am pretty salty that I lack a very crucial fundamental to playing zss at high level and lose a lot of easily won or salvaged games because of it.
I completely sympathize!! My play style is very very by the book :-/

AstroCRiS

Smash Cadet
GUYS, I found out that a level 7 Megaman, DI's our down throw combos almost every time! This is awesome for practice! Very ****ing frustrating, but awesome!

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I completely sympathize!! My play style is very very by the book :-/
It makes me sad in pants to lose a mu that should be our easiest (pre shield stun change patch, I have no idea what rob is now)

Then come back and play the Mu so well and by well I mean I am pulling some @infiniteV115 air dodge catch cancel up throwing of the gyro, baiting nairs for pivot grabs and even combing gyro -> flip jump kick -> still lose from fun cancel down throw up air or something.

Although I went to a tournament Monday where that happened ,it was just a bad day for me imo. 5th/ like 30 or something almost in the money.
:(

Despite that being a bad day this still happened so like I mean.

http://gfycat.com/PlayfulScalyHyena

Last edited:

Honor

Smash Apprentice
It makes me sad in pants to lose a mu that should be our easiest (pre shield stun change patch, I have no idea what rob is now)

Then come back and play the Mu so well and by well I mean I am pulling some @infiniteV115 air dodge catch cancel up throwing of the gyro, baiting nairs for pivot grabs and even combing gyro -> flip jump kick -> still lose from fun cancel down throw up air or something.

Although I went to a tournament Monday where that happened ,it was just a bad day for me imo. 5th/ like 30 or something almost in the money.
:(

Despite that being a bad day this still happened so like I mean.

http://gfycat.com/PlayfulScalyHyena
HOLY CRAP THAT"S HILARIOUS!!

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
HOLY CRAP THAT"S HILARIOUS!!
I submitted it to emg plays of the week for doubles or w.e they do so I am going to see if we win.

Whats even more hilarious is when i realize when i shot my partner with paralyzer it pushes him on the platform because i charged it, Then I do go in and then back with fair so he counters oh god. I had an orgasm when that happened.

Top Bottom