• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to place killing move

hawkteria

Smash Rookie
I post this because i can't place my killing. I main lucas, but i get some problem with everyone. I usualy need to rack up domage over 200% before killing other guy. I do a lot of combo and rack up domage really fast, but the point is i die at half % of everyone else when me i can't kill them before high %. Can you please give me advise to place my killing move better.

hawkteria

Smash Rookie
Ok i don't post in lucas boards beacause is not a problem specific problem. I know all my killing move , but i can use them corrrectly and everytime i try my opponent dodge them or i miss them i get get punish and i have the same problem with every character.

Geist

Smash Master
If you can hit them with a normal move, you should be able to hit them with the majority of killing moves.
Don't hesitate and space them properly or you'll end up failing, naturally.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
try watching your oppnent more, racking up damage with combo's fast suggests an aggresive play style.
when their % gets high, try moving to a more defensive style and watch them and wait for a mistake to punsh with a killing move.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
doesnt fsmash kill like really well? and arent like lucases throws beast?
Last I checked :p

It's all about just prediction though. Some characters are lucky and can force you into a game of prediction (like G&W or Snake).

Generally speaking though, baiting an opponent and predicting their reaction = you getting a kill move off.

Also, next time try the Q&A thread or character specific threads for in depth ways to land kill moves. :)

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
by 125% you should be able to cstick a smash attack and kill them relatively easily unless they have been diminished.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Focus more on finding gaps in thier defense. Watch your opponent and read them, predict thier movements and then kill them with a good finisher. If you're dying that early, chances are you're not DI'ing right. Check out Swordgard's DI Guide and I'm sure that will help your recovery aspect of the game.

Oh, and little tidbits for Lucas are to use your tether, It's a lot more dependable then your PKT in a lot of situations.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Remember that your moves become weaker the more you use them, so save one or two of your moves specifically for killing so when you get them high enough you can have a fresh KO move.

Volts

Smash Cadet
Well, Smash attacks have that purpose. Do you have trouble performing them?
It would seem that a number of Lucas players prefer this for their killing move, I assume their is some tactic to using it that can be found looking in the character discussion.

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
Your fsmash is quick and strong, you should be able to kill in the low hundreds with it, if you can predict. It has quick enough start up to make it viable for punishing most slower attacks.

Ftilt is very easy to hit with, and if you find yourself getting up to 170 or so, it should be able to kill fairly reliably.

Dsmash has multiple hits, which makes it great as an anti-dodge attack. If they spot dodge, it will almost definitely hit with one of the last hits. The same with a roll, if they are still within range. There is a brief moment of time when you are unable to do anything after landing, and if you are already doing a downsmash when they land, even if they airdodge as they are going down and shield the first chance they can, it will hit.

I would avoid the up smash, its just too slow and unwieldy to use except in weird situations.

Your throws are good, although like someone else said, punishable. Down throw kills vertically before upthrow will, but if you are near an edge, backthrow will probably kill before dthrow will.

That's a very brief guide to lucas's kill moves, but there are definitely better guides and more knowledgeable people on the lucas boards.

James1119

Smash Cadet
With ANY character, there is a strong move. Some are just harder to use and more predictable. Example: Toon Link; seems as if he lacks power.. Especially with over-A attacks, well if you tap A again right after using the over-A, he spears the victim.. A very powerful attack.

Every character has one. Not absolutely sure about Lucas, keep trying.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I actually prefer TLs Usmash and Dsmash over his Fsmash (I assume thats what you meant by over-a). Theyre faster and easier to hit with because they actually have moves that combo into them (ex. zair to Usmash) Fsmash is just too slow for me :ohwell:

James1119

Smash Cadet
I actually prefer TLs Usmash and Dsmash over his Fsmash (I assume thats what you meant by over-a). Theyre faster and easier to hit with because they actually have moves that combo into them (ex. zair to Usmash) Fsmash is just too slow for me :ohwell:
Yeah that's what I meant.. I only use it with Toon Link as he has little power elsewhere..

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Actually TL can kill characters who arent heavyeights at 140% or less on average (depending on how stale the moves are) with Usmash and Dsmash xompared to Fsmash where Ive killed people as early as 100%. Its not that big of a difference only 40% so I think that here, speed is more useful than power. (Its so hard to combo into the Fsmash unfortunately :()

Sukai

Smash Champion
If you make good use of his arrows and boomerangs then landing the kill move isn't hard, forward smash and up smash are both ideal for Toon Link, and the boomerangs and arrows create easy openings.

goodkid

Smash Lord
you really just have to let it come natural, don't be too stubborn for the kill when its not there. Only you can help yourself

DemonFart

Smash Lord
u can be stubborn 4 the kill if u r metaknight.

Lucas kills really well,just save ur killing moves for when the time is right and u will be fine.

:094:

James1119

Smash Cadet
With TL, use your boomerangs and arrows effectively and your enemy will be paralyzed.. Arrows are also a good way to keep the fight in the air where TL dominates. He is no doubt my best character.

Throw one of his bombs straight up, chain grab somebody, throw them up into the bomb and they are paralyzed for just long enough. That's how I start aerial battles.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Wait... TL has a chain grab???
I dont spend much time on the TL boards so Im not really up to date on any new ATs for him
I cant find anything on the TL boards about a CG so do you mind clarifying how to do it.
Thanks

James1119

Smash Cadet
I dont spend much time on the TL boards so Im not really up to date on any new ATs for him
I cant find anything on the TL boards about a CG so do you mind clarifying how to do it.
Thanks
Sorry I just refer to his hookshot thing as a chain grab.. He doesn't really have one.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
Especially with over-A attacks, well if you tap A again right after using the over-A, he spears the victim.. A very powerful attack.
Yeah that's what I meant.. I only use it with Toon Link as he has little power elsewhere..
Throw one of his bombs straight up, chain grab somebody, throw them up into the bomb and they are paralyzed for just long enough. That's how I start aerial battles.
Thanks
Sorry I just refer to his hookshot thing as a chain grab.. He doesn't really have one.
im sorry, but i lol'd
james, learn the lingo :D :colorful:

on topic though lucas can use smashes or even gimp people with PK2 after about 150, i honestly can see no reason why you can't land a kill after 160 unless all you're doing is jab...............

or if you're playing against snake

also, shouldn't this be called "how can i land a kill move?" I clicked on this thread because i thought it was a guide >_>

James1119

Smash Cadet
Sorry! I'm trying to get used to this site. I just came from another forum, it was terrible and I'm not sure on forum etiquette anymore. :p

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Well after youve picked a main character, try going to the character specific boards where you can learn the lingo\contribute to your characters metagame.

James1119

Smash Cadet
I already got that, I just don't know SOME of the general terms such as DAIR and DSMASH (I do know them, those are examples of this site only lingo).. I'm learning these from some TL boards.. Thanks guys!

Kage Me

Smash Ace
For future reference:

Jab = jab
F-tilt = Forward strong attack
U-tilt = Upward strong attack
D-tilt = Downward strong attack
F-smash = Forward smash attack
U-smash = Upward smash attack
D-smash = Downward smash attack
N-air = Neutral air attack
F-air = Forward air attack
B-air = Backward air attack
D-air = Downward air attack
U-air = Upward air attack
Z-air = Grab in mid-air (only applicable to Link, Toon Link, Samus and technically Lucas, but his is borderline useless).
Specials are usually referred to by their name, like Mach Tornado or Gale Boomerang.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I already got that, I just don't know SOME of the general terms such as DAIR and DSMASH (I do know them, those are examples of this site only lingo).. I'm learning these from some TL boards.. Thanks guys!
Yeah, it's hard to catch on when you're new here. Here, I'll make a list for you to read off of.

B = Back
D = Down
F = Foward or Side (Some people say forward B, some say side B. Just an example.)
Gl = Glide (Some characters have this. It's often read as "glair".)
N = Neutral
U = Up
Z = Zair

So take any of those and apply them to something like smash, tilt, throw or air. It's pretty basic.

Top Bottom