• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Perfect Pivot

DexstarGAMER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DexstarGAMER
I've already mastered, but only the left side, i can't perfect pivot on the right tho... :(
I need more paractice

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Wired GC imo. I use a wavebird and inputs like this get their frames delayed slightly - 60 possible inputs each second can be tough for a wireless controller to keep up with. Inputting buttons too close together can cause the inputs to be pushed ahead a frame or two and so forth. Really limiting. Flicking the stick the way you need to with this tech becomes less reliable, and the wireless nature of the controller will sometimes make your resulting movements and actions ingame different to what you pressed.

This is a Sentence

Smash Cadet
Wired GC imo. I use a wavebird and inputs like this get their frames delayed slightly - 60 possible inputs each second can be tough for a wireless controller to keep up with. Inputting buttons too close together can cause the inputs to be pushed ahead a frame or two and so forth. Really limiting. Flicking the stick the way you need to with this tech becomes less reliable, and the wireless nature of the controller will sometimes make your resulting movements and actions ingame different to what you pressed.
Thanks for the input, didn't even know about the delay

Conda

Thanks for the input, didn't even know about the delay
Yeah its not so much delay, but frame-fudging when youre doing thing too quickly. Kinda like how wifi internet behaves with packets, since ping fluctuates so often. Wireless controllers aren't the best at these kind of frame-by-frame inputs

This is a Sentence

Smash Cadet
Yeah its not so much delay, but frame-fudging when youre doing thing too quickly. Kinda like how wifi internet behaves with packets, since ping fluctuates so often. Wireless controllers aren't the best at these kind of frame-by-frame inputs
Those GameCube adapters though...:dizzy:

Conda

I preordered mine thankfully :p Nintendo keeps on thinking the competitive scene isn't as important a demographic as they are, sadly.

Last edited:

Karonax

Zen Blue Warrior
NNID
Karonax
3DS FC
1633-4179-2591
Hey is it easier on the 3ds or on the Wii u
Yeah I feel like doing this on a 3DS is murder bait for your circle pad... Then again, this technique is murder bait for your wrist, I've been practicing for a few hours and my hand is crying to put it out of it's misery. T_T

Last edited:

Foxsimile

Smash Rookie
NNID
c0d_r-us
Hey is it easier on the 3ds or on the Wii u
Almost impossible to string attacks with the 3DS version, however, its quite simple in the Wii U version even with the pro controller (my controller of choice).

Last edited:

Feryn Hyrk

Smash Rookie
It seems that they do that already on smash 64 as seen in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl-ntqAcMDY

Now I wonder if that's easier to do on the N64 controller? If I rememeber well that controller stick used to break like hell.

Also, even on the GC controller this perfect pivot thing is hard as **** to do man, I thought it was almost impossible until I saw a different video than OPs wich tell you to imediately turn the stick to neutral after the second direction... that helped me do it more often but still it's been more like a gamble (and a hard one) if it will come out or not... I hope I get this frame timing and that it doesn't kill my dear smash gc controller...

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Honestly this isn't worth doing if its actually causing you pain, even if you do master it only certain characters benefit from this greatly(C.Falcon can use this the best and make his F-Smash even more dangerous on punish).

If a character is below 3 on that video then there's literally no point in using perfect pivot, you'll barely move. May practice when i'm bored as hell but if i was to master this it'll only be used to counter F-Smashes that pushes me back after i shield it.

Last edited:

Feryn Hyrk

Smash Rookie
If a character is below 3 on that video then there's literally no point in using perfect pivot, you'll barely move
That video was made on a grass terrain, that isn't the real distance on less friction stages. It was just for comparisons
Check this video here, Lucina (and Marth is the same actually) goes a reasonable distance with one perfect pivot... and if you master you should be able to do various in succession

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Q06ApSwI4

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Some extra info:

Perfect pivoting is easiest with a gcn controller. Wireless controllers, even with their minute bit of input delay are effected more by the multiple single frame input than a wired connection.

Also, downsmashing with this is the easiest use. Smash c-stick cuts off the control stick, so minor timing issues letting the control stick return to neutral are mitigated by proper timing of c-stick useage.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
The only question I have is is this going to be a gamebreaker like the wavedash seemed to be? One of the reasons I don't like competitive melee as much is because it seemed like people were like, "If you can't wavedash, you're not meant to be here" (I know I can play as Peach or Puff and thankfully I'm a peach main but still...) This seems a lot easier to pull off and i'm definitely gonna try to "get gud" but if I can't is it back to losing every match again? :p

Ticker

Smash Apprentice
I'm finding perfect pivots harder to learn than wavedashing was. I got wavedashing down withing a half hour but I cannot get this to work.

RODO

Smash Ace
On the second imput of the perfect pivot is it easier to flick it and take your thumb off of the control stick or move it with your thumb on the whole time?

Epok

Smash Ace
The only question I have is is this going to be a gamebreaker like the wavedash seemed to be? One of the reasons I don't like competitive melee as much is because it seemed like people were like, "If you can't wavedash, you're not meant to be here" (I know I can play as Peach or Puff and thankfully I'm a peach main but still...) This seems a lot easier to pull off and i'm definitely gonna try to "get gud" but if I can't is it back to losing every match again? :p
Honestly, I don't think so. This game is a lot about mix up baiting. There are other ways to space movements and dodge attacks with out pp. I would say try to learn it because it's another weapon in your arsenal, but I wouldn't call it a necessity right now.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
That guy in the video was talking about how tilts, smashes, and Bairs are the hardest things to do with PPing, but those are literally all I can do, along with side-B's. I have no idea how to do anything else because no matter how hard I try, nothing else will work.

Attempt a jab? Ftilt.
Attempt a grab? Ftilt.
Attempt a U/DSmash? ****ing Ftilt.

Last edited:

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
On the second imput of the perfect pivot is it easier to flick it and take your thumb off of the control stick or move it with your thumb on the whole time?
I've found it vastly easier to flick my thumb off. However, I'm hoping to eventually be able to do it with my thumb on the stick the whole time, so that I can keep my options open for follow-ups. If you're satisfied with setting C-stick to your preference of smashes or tilts, and then only using those to follow-up from PP, then there's no real downside to flicking.

KoiWhite

Smash Rookie
Any tips on combining the PP with other attacks like tilts and smashes?? I can get it somewhat consistent on the 2ds, but to add a smash to it seems to require superhuman thumbs.

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
I'm having so much trouble with this, sometimes I can perfect pivot, while most of the time im just dashing on the spot.
The video says its because im holding the stick in the opposite direction for too long but im flicking the thing insanely fast, I dont get it
Any tips?

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman

This is an interesting tutorial video that was made that goes into more depth about Perfect Pivots.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Perfect Pivoting has a easy process, but the way to do it is hardcore. The "normal" process is better than the easy one because you have to be aware of the buttons to be pressed, and may do a attack in a mistake. In the normal version is all about the reflexes. I now have to learn about the right side of the PP.

Top Bottom