• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to minimize tripping, and a few other things I haven't seen mentioned here.

Sirami

Smash Cadet
Be nice now. I don’t have the game yet myself, but I have been playing it since it came out in the states. I haven’t been able to test a whole lot, as most of the time has been playing with friends. Still, here’s some stuff I’ve noticed, that I thought I’d share.

I did use the search function to see if any of it has been said before, btw.

----------------------------
To minimize tripping:

-Use C stick for smash attacks: This one’s a no brainer.

-Delay stick input on hops: Basically, instead of smashing the stick left or right while pressing or tapping jump, you wait until your feet have just left the ground before you jam the direction. Once you get good at it, you don't lose any distance, and there's a 0% chance that you'll trip. (anybody else ever tripped when trying to shorthop in from standing still?)

-Use Tilt for rolling: It’s simple. The trip only has a chance of happening when your stick is at 100% input. You can roll with a tilt input. Now you’ll never trip when you’re trying to roll.

-Walk before running: This one needs testing, actually. So far, I haven’t tripped so long as I’ve started my walk animation before I start my run. Right now, I wait just long enough to see that my walk has started before I start my run. This’ll slow you down, so you might not want to use it much, but in situations where tripping can kill you, it might be something to consider. If this does indeed work (confirmation or de-confirmation?), you’d want to use it when you’re at a distance where you really don’t want to trip, or if you think the slowdown won’t keep you from doing what you need to do.

Basically, I haven’t tripped once for the last two days of playing since I thought all this up as a possible way to avoid tripping.
----------------------------
Now for some basic movement and input stuff.

Shield to cancel dash animation: Since you can’t crouch to cancel the dash anymore, we’ve got to make due. Without any kind of cancel, if you want to say Fsmash or Dsmash, you have to wait for the “slide” animation to end before you can do anything. Well, popping up a shield and letting it down seems to have a lot shorter of an animation than the slide. This can be extremely useful if your smash attack is fast, like say Fox’s Dsmash. It also presents a very quick mind game, if you’re spaced right. When they see the shield, they don’t want to shield themselves, for fear of a shield grab (which is doable). Another benefit is that, if you decide it’s better not to attack, you’ve got your stupid shield up, and you can dodge or jump out if need be.

Auto shorthop Fair, Bair, and Dair: This one’s kind of nifty, and I can’t take credit for it. I read it on gamefaqs of all places. Basically, if you’re moving forward, roll your stick to up, and as soon as your stick hits up, hold your C stick for whatever aerial you want to perform. Even if you’re holding up the whole time, you’ll still get a short hop. This doesn’t work for Uair and obviously won’t work for Nair. Could be useful for moves that need to be input within a few frames of leaving the ground, in order to be auto canceled (that is what everybody’s calling it right, when the move recovers before landing a short hop?)
-----------------------------------

There’s plenty of other stuff I’ve noticed, but I think all of it is mentioned here (shield dropping, power shielding being insanely easy and recovering very fast, stuff like that)

Hope this post isn’t worthless.

BlackFoxPariah

Smash Apprentice
Those are some good ideas. I'll experiment with those because playing with the whole melee style seems to cause me to trip a lot. This game seems to really discourage sporadic movements with the whole tripping.

Sirami

Smash Cadet
Hrm, maybe a title change is in order. "How to minimize tripping" perhaps?

I can't be the only person that's been severely messed with due to a random trip.

Vitamin

Smash Rookie
Hrm, maybe a title change is in order. "How to minimize tripping" perhaps?

I can't be the only person that's been severely messed with due to a random trip.
Trust me. You aren't.

I trip, on average, about 4 or 5 times every single Brawl match. It gets extremely annoying. But, thanks to this thread, now I can avoid tripping. :)

Sirami

Smash Cadet
So... anybody know if you trip, when you start with a walk, and go into a run?

shadydentist

Smash Lord
The problem is, doing a lot of these things will negatively affect your gameplay. Its still better to take the chance that you will trip, rather than base your game around avoiding tripping.

Sirami

Smash Cadet
The problem is, doing a lot of these things will negatively affect your gameplay. Its still better to take the chance that you will trip, rather than base your game around avoiding tripping.
Well, actually, so far only one of these things has affected my game at all, and that's the "walk to run" one (and I'm not even sure if that one really works, or if I've just lucked out so far).

Top Bottom