• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Marth?

Yafuso

Smash Rookie
I've recently gotten back into Melee and picked up Marth. I kinda understand the fundamentals of marth. (ie spacing, wave dashing, move set etc.) also L canceling the d-air has a weird timing so i'm always left open after I use it (I'm pretty sure that's just something I have to practice) but I Don't really know what works on who entirely, like what kind of moves work best on samus, she's really floaty and doesn't die till extremely high percents. Am I just supposed to spike samus with a ken combo at somewhat lower mid percents? against fox and falco should my first attacks against them always be chain grabs? I've seen ken sword dance a lot against Cpt Falcon is that a good idea? I just want to improve in this game really fast (i know i won't be good in a month or 2 but like within a year) any recommendations. also San Diego So cal area doesn't seem to have that big of a smash community so its hard to play against real people besides my friends ( who i'm better than and continuously get better than)

niffyjiffy

Smash Cadet
What do you mean by starting with a grab. If you mean dash in then try and get a grab, you might want to rethink. A dashdance would be much better and would open you up to better punishment (if he does a standing laser it would be easy to get a move in and such.

Yafuso

Smash Rookie
What do you mean by starting with a grab. If you mean dash in then try and get a grab, you might want to rethink. A dashdance would be much better and would open you up to better punishment (if he does a standing laser it would be easy to get a move in and such.
by start offf with grabs I mean since its easier to chain grab fox/falco at low percents is it good to start off against him like that. Not all the time obviously but a good starter to start into combo?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Cali is packed with tons of good players, but since the state is so big I'm guessing you'll need to travel if you are thinking to be a competitive player.

Against spacies I think marth can f-throw a few times then start a chaingrab, checkout kadanos thread, there are set of %s that shows what to do because spacies can shine out of the CG and you need to know the %s where pivot grab is needed to avoid this.

Also, marth pretty much combos any aerial into any aerial really, is ridiculous, ok... maybe I'm exaggerating but marth can combo the hell out of floaties, and that include samus, sure he has trouble finishing them off but so he does with everybody else. For that you may want to look at moves like f-smash, d-smash, up-tilt, charged up-b and a well spaced dolphin slash, I can't think of anyother move that is a good finisher for him

Gravitirax

Smash Cadet
You mentioned dairs leaving you open. Unless you're talking about doubles, of course, you're not going to really want to use dairs much in a scenario where you can be left open. They're mostly for when they're really close to / off the ledge as you may know. Also it's good to see a fellow SD smasher. Our smash scene isn't too bad really. We've got a few tournaments occasionally and of course the weekly smashfests at the lodge. Have you joined the Facebook groups?

Top Bottom