• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Make BRSTM's from scratch - An Easy Tutorial

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
I have another way to make BRSTMs, but this one is a bit farfetch'd.

You must have a video-recorder like Hypercam2 or Camstudio. I'm using Fraps because it is the only one that doesn't clip the songs I record.

Once you recorded the song you wanted with one of these devices, open Windows Movie Maker, put the video in the music section (like in this image), then save it as .wma

Go to Mediaconverter, and convert this file to .wav, and then you can loop it as much as you want. It's longer than downloading a video in the mp3 format, equalize it and looping it afterward, but this can work too :laugh:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I have another way to make BRSTMs, but this one is a bit farfetch'd.

You must have a video-recorder like Hypercam2 or Camstudio. I'm using Fraps because it is the only one that doesn't clip the songs I record.

Once you recorded the song you wanted with one of these devices, open Windows Movie Maker, put the video in the music section (like in this image), then save it as .wma

Go to Mediaconverter, and convert this file to .wav, and then you can loop it as much as you want. It's longer than downloading a video in the mp3 format, equalize it and looping it afterward, but this can work too :laugh:
That is an interesting method of making BRSTM's, I've never heard of that before. However, I'm sure it would work effectively...Fakescaper, I'll do a tutorial that follows my guide, but do several different songs, and make several different BRSTM's...perhaps showing different types of loops and equalization methods.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
I don't know about you, but I think equalizing a song twice on Audacity would work better. It makes them loud, without being crackly (at least the songs I doublequalized didn't do that to me). It's worth a try, I guess.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I don't know about you, but I think equalizing a song twice on Audacity would work better. It makes them loud, without being crackly (at least the songs I doublequalized didn't do that to me). It's worth a try, I guess.
Double equalization does tend to work better, you are correct.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Updated the original post to say clipconverter.cc, not dirpy.com. For those of you who heavily used dirpy to convert Youtube->MP3, clipconverter.cc is just as good. If you want the tags (i.e. song and artist, if you wish to put it on your MP3 player as something other than Unknown), check the box that says ID3 Tags Ver. 2

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
video2mp3.net is a good MP3 downloader too. I always use it if I need an MP3 from Youtube.

HAMnEGGS

Smash Apprentice
i just went through your guide, and it's very very simple. kudos

but i can't test the fruits of my labour just yet (dont ask why), but i do have a question.

since i'm going to be doing this through an SD card, you mentioned that you'll need codes (correct me if i'm wrong). do you know where i can get said codes (if i need them at all =P)?

PS. before testing, my only real concern is that the music might not be loud enough, since when i equalize it, there was crackling regardless of how much or how little i tuned the line when equalizing. so i decided to just skip that part and see how it'll turn out. any suggestions on this part?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I had Brawlbox set up for a long time, but I tried making my own BRSTM for the first time tonight. I was able to get Brawlbox going, but when I tried moving any WAV files over, it would say that it went through, but the music file wasn't even a second long. Did I just not convert all of the song?

And for some reason, when I shut down BrawlBox and tried to bring it up again, it said that the file could not be read and that Microsoft was suffering problems reading it. I tried running it again repeatedly, even downloaded it again, but nothing worked. Help? :/

comboking

Smash Master
I could have swore there was a program where you put in a MP3 file and it converts it to a BRSTM. Wouldn't that be easier? Or does it not exist?

libertyernie

Smash Ace
I had Brawlbox set up for a long time, but I tried making my own BRSTM for the first time tonight. I was able to get Brawlbox going, but when I tried moving any WAV files over, it would say that it went through, but the music file wasn't even a second long. Did I just not convert all of the song?

And for some reason, when I shut down BrawlBox and tried to bring it up again, it said that the file could not be read and that Microsoft was suffering problems reading it. I tried running it again repeatedly, even downloaded it again, but nothing worked. Help? :/
When I exported a WAV in Audacity with metadata (song title, artist name, etc.) BrawlBox couldn't read it. When I exported it again without the metadata, it worked.

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
I personally use sony ACID and the loop reigon and the looping function helps me clip the music to end where i want it to loop and sample the begining half where i want it to start, just throwing out another program that i know of that helps with making wav files and assisting with looping

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

You probably don't have the latest version of Audacity. If you do, export the whole project as a WAV, not the selection, particularly if nothing is selected, making the WAV 0kb because nothing is selected to be made into a WAV.

@comboking, I do not know of such a program. moosehunter made a Youtube->BRSTM converter, but I've never heard of MP3->BRSTM.

@tbtechwiz, thanks for the info.

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
strange problem unrelated to the files.

I swapped DK's victory tune with one from DKC2, and it plays fine... until it gets helfway through, then is starts playing something from my other swapped tune (the game over music that i swapped for DKCR's bonus fail theme) even with that music removed from the SD, it still manages to play that game over tune mixed/overridden halfway through and it loops that rune for about 5 mins lol and I tested the btstrm in brawlbox, it played fine, and i checked my audio editor, i found no mistakes.

any idea how this bazzare occurance has happened?

(it even has this problem in sound test)

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I swapped DK's victory tune with one from DKC2, and it plays fine... until it gets helfway through, then is starts playing something from my other swapped tune (the game over music that i swapped for DKCR's bonus fail theme) even with that music removed from the SD, it still manages to play that game over tune mixed/overridden halfway through and it loops that rune for about 5 mins lol and I tested the btstrm in brawlbox, it played fine, and i checked my audio editor, i found no mistakes.

any idea how this bazzare occurance has happened?

(it even has this problem in sound test)
Defrag your SD Card. It's not the files, it's the card.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
I'm not entirely sure how to Equalize the song I want. I go into Edit>Equalization and then don't know what to do to make it look like it does in the picture in the tutorial :/

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Yea, but in the pic, are those more bulged areas at the start and end just cutoff in that pic or are they separated from the sides of the Equalization screen?

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Well, I'm not using the Equalization anymore, since I found out that using "Effect > Amplify >2.0 and checking the 'Allow clipping' box" worked better, because Equalizing a song will sometimes gives too much volume to the song, and this is not good at all. Plus, this is much easier.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
The New Peak Amplitude changes at the same time as the Amplification box, so do not worry about it :)

If after this manipulation you think the song is still too quiet, just press CTRL + R to add the previous effect again :)

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
You sure it changes? I put 2.0 in Amplification but nothing happened in the New Peak Amplitude. Unless it changes once you click ok.........

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Sorry for the double post

When I was editing the WAV file in brawlbox I got the start and end times exactly where I wanted them, then clicked okay. When it was done encoding it, it would then say in the brawlbox window that the file was 1:40 long or something (when it should have been around 1:34). Also when I play the file in the brawlbox window I found that it starts it from the beginning of the WAV file I put into brawlbox instead of the start point I designated.

I solved this problem by just editing the song in Audacity to the start and end points I wanted, and then using that WAV file in brawlbox w/o editing start and end points there but I'm not sure why it ignored my start point before.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Sorry for the double post

When I was editing the WAV file in brawlbox I got the start and end times exactly where I wanted them, then clicked okay. When it was done encoding it, it would then say in the brawlbox window that the file was 1:40 long or something (when it should have been around 1:34). Also when I play the file in the brawlbox window I found that it starts it from the beginning of the WAV file I put into brawlbox instead of the start point I designated.

I solved this problem by just editing the song in Audacity to the start and end points I wanted, and then using that WAV file in brawlbox w/o editing start and end points there but I'm not sure why it ignored my start point before.
Brawlbox allows you to loop songs from the beginning, and loop back to a point beyond the start of the song, which is a nice thing. It starts the songs from the beginning, like most. I think Dantarion's BCSM might be more suitable for you, because you could input start and end values for your loops in that program...the BRSTM's are softer, though. Just a thought.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Wait, are you saying it's possible to have a song play from the start, and then loop the song from a point that isn't the start?
Ok, you start the song, loop it at, say, the 1:45 mark back to the :03 second mark. That's what I meant. BrawlBox allows you to do that.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Ok, you start the song, loop it at, say, the 1:45 mark back to the :03 second mark. That's what I meant. BrawlBox allows you to do that.
Ok I was wondering about if that was possible before, when I thought brawlbox couldn't do that.

Another problem, when I try to put the wav file for a certain song into brawlbox the full song isn't there and it says "Samples: 10" in the file info box on the right.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
did anyone find out the names for the sounds such as the star invincibility?
I don't know the names of the sound files...they might be in with the victory themes or something, I'm not familiar with sound hacks...just music hacks :laugh:

Thunder44, I would re-export that song, make sure you select the whole song (Edit->Select->All), then export as wav (File->Export as WAV OR File->Export Selection as WAV). If you're still having trouble, I don't know what to tell you...

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
The sounds are in a file named named "smashbros_sound.brsar". But to edit them, you must use a hex editor, Audacity and a hex calculator. Kinda hard for just one sound.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Thunder44, I would re-export that song, make sure you select the whole song (Edit->Select->All), then export as wav (File->Export as WAV OR File->Export Selection as WAV). If you're still having trouble, I don't know what to tell you...
Is it posible it's not a good quality mp3 I'm using? Also it happened with another song I tried........

Yamitsuki

Smash Cadet
I'm running into a stupid issue. When I select the loop starting/end points and do the proper file replacement, the song is not looping at the times I indicate. Instead it is starting from start to finish. Any potential reasons why this is?

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
I tried to make one, but when I load it through Gecko, it says I have too many lines of code (something like 2204)?

What might I have done wrong?

TurboPikachu

Wall of Pain
NNID
HyperChu
3DS FC
3394-3547-7986
I'm putting my music files in Audacity, and I save them to 16-bit signed PCM WAV files, but when I make a new BRSTM with any of them, BrawlBox won't play them back, shows that they have no time, and shows samples like 9, rather than samples reaching the 10,000,000's. It does the same thing to me also when I used some WAV's I made with GoldWave.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I tried to make one, but when I load it through Gecko, it says I have too many lines of code (something like 2204)?

What might I have done wrong?
That means you're missing the "Unlimited lines of code". Look up a Gecko OS thread, and I'm sure they'll have a link to that, you put it in a folder called txtcodes on your SD Card.

@TurboPikachu, you have to go to Edit->Select->All, then go to File->Export Selection as WAV. Should fix your problem.

@Yamatsuki, could you be a little clearer as to what problem you're having?

Top Bottom