• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get a free Usmash

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
If certain opponents are hanging on the ledge you can get a free Usmash as long as you read them correctly. Some characters' ledge attacks can't hit you if you're too close to the edge. So if you notice they ledge attack animation or predict they're going to do one, you can quickly do a running Usmash at the very edge and it can't miss with the right timing.

Snake - Under 100%
Samus - Anytime
Marth - Under 100%
Diddy - Under 100%
Sheik - Over 100%
Charizard - Over 100%
Ike - Over 100%
King Dedede - Over 100%
Wolf - Over 100%
Lucario - Under 100%
Toon Link - Over 100%
Captain Falcon - Over 100%
Zero Suit Samus - Over 100%

There's your character list of who it will work against.

Even if you time it wrong, their ledge attack will clank with your Usmash and it will knock you onto the ledge. From there you can do a ledgehop Fair almost guaranteed to hit. The same will happen if you misread them and they're just standing up on the edge and shielding. The only way it can be punished is if you misread them and they roll onto the stage because then they will be out of your range. Or if you misread them and they're actually doing a ledgehop attack but you should never misread them that badly. It's pretty easy to tell when people are going to do their ledge attacks. Oh yeah and if they jump from the ledge you should hit them too so that base is covered. Basically have good timing and good reading against these characters at these times and you just got a free Usmash. Situational? yes. Worth knowing? definetly. I do it to my friend's Samus all the time.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
U-smash is surprisingly more useful at hitting people below you then above. It has a strange hitbox that sucks people in who try to ledgehop.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Yeah, I've been doing this for about a month, and I was surprised at how often it worked. :chuckle: I just gotta remember not to do it all the time so as not to be predictable. Also, once I used it on Zelda on Lylat Cruise, and she went straight down. :psycho: I think she must have bounced off the bottom of the stage.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
October '08 Neon was a scrub.

"OMG, I stayjspeiked Zelda wid dis once!!11!"

Ah, youth.

I've said it once, and I'll say again. Up Smash r gud. Yet another useful thread from our friendly neighborhood Tyr. Why do the good threads always die young...!?

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Wow. No more useless dairs above edgegrabbing opponent. :laugh:
So are these the only characters it works on or did you not bother to check every other character?

Irsic

Smash Ace
Oh nice. Samus was the only one I knew about for sure. Her get-up attack misses you by a freakin' mile.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Oh god this is awesome, I just tried this with a ton of characters to be sure and it works. Too bad no one uses get-up attacks.
This is false.

Everyone tries to switch it up.

Noone uses roll onto stage though because of how punishable it is.

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice
Just try to get them off the stage, wait for them to recover, and slide in a Usmash while they're helpless. That usually works :x

The_Bear735

Smash Journeyman
Running Usmash edge guards work wonders. Most of my opponents don't actually do the ledge recover, but instead they try to jump over me, and instead get sent by the highest hitbox of Usmash into a star KO. Makes my day when that happens.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Usmash is invincible on frame 1-4, and hits on 28. Funniest invincibility in the game.
so whats that come to, 4 invincible frames followed by a second (and some change) of worthlessness then a boom?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Usmash is invincible on frame 1-4, and hits on 28. Funniest invincibility in the game.
I love it.

At least your Usmash has range. Ours doesn't go ANYWHERE, dammit! Sure we can outprioritize any Dair in the game, but who the hell is stupid enough to land on a Lucario? :<

Oh, and we've known about this BS Usmash ledgetrap since either May or June. We've just been hoping that it wouldn't catch on. God dammit. I hate being limited.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Know what's fun?

Watching someone's patterns that when you approach, they spot dodge, so then you can just run up and usmash. I also recommend running past them so they think you're going to pivot grab.

It's lolawful and not reliable at all, but so ****ing funny.

Teh Future

Smash Master
couldn't you time it so the get up attack hits your invincibility frames so it works on everybody? I think it might work considering I dont think anyones get up attack has a lasting hitbox and they all have significant end lag.

Irsic

Smash Ace
That would be unbelievably tough to time, considering we still don't know the exact moment in time on the attack (the beginning lols) where those invincibility frames are, then we still have like 20 or so frames until the attack comes out which in most cases is long enough for the person getting up to shield.

Levitas

the moon
I'm not convinced that anyone has a get up attack with a hitbox out for 4 or fewer frames and then 25 or more frames of lag. If it were that, then we'd have to be frame perfect and stuff.

I guess we can punish jiggs rest with this, lol

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
If Wolf is scar-happy would this work? I'm almost positive that a scar will not hit you if you're right next to the edge, but would he be able to punish the Usmash when you miss?

I can try this w/ my roommate when I get back home, but if anyone happened to know this already that would be most helpful. If not I'll let you guys know when I try it.

EDIT: Tyr for president. This list wins.

Top Bottom