• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to explain a casual player what is the competitive scene?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugball

Smash Apprentice
seriusly how???? when i post in casual smash forums, explaining what is the competitive play, videos with avanced techniques, promatches, rules etc, at the just moment i have 20 replys saying: youre ***got? smash without objets?? BORING, only competitive starges?are you serius?? we only play torneys with objets!!! bla bla bla...

how to explain what competitive smash is to a noob player? discuss please

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Forgive his bad English. He is Spanish, so he can't speak English, he will speak "Inglis". (That's how we spaniards pronounce "English")

You should explain them your ideas logically, without trolling and insulting (because that's what you were doing). Do not call them "scared children, go away to play with ur p0k3b0lz" (you actually did that, do you remember?). But, the most important part is that EVERYBODY SHOULD PLAY AS THEY WANT TO PLAY. If you don't understand this, just avoid casual forums. You should also avoid this forum, because that sentence is very repeated here.

You can't make casuals to play as profesionals. If they want to play a tourney with items just STFU about it, and don't participate. But don't make them to play with your rules, as nobody is making you to play with items, or to participate on that tourney.

Greetings
Linko, co-organizer of the casual Meristation Brawl League (Not Tourney, League)

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Well put Linko Ridley...
But the thing is...what you just wrote, has been written more than a million times, all with the same thought in mind..: ''Everybody should play as they want to play''...

I was just watching an Ike vs. Ness video on Youtube, also a Snake vs. Marth video...and I read some comments...
People there keep on spamming ''tourney***s'', ''n00bs'' and other insulting things I dare not speak here...
No matter how hard you try, people keep on being ignorant, I tried to convince my friends too, I use some advanced techniques and they don't,
they don't like it ''because we don't want to play like those people at tournaments...''
It's very annoying when people can't give good reasons for their beliefs/opinions, and I think that when someone can't explain their opinion, they are OR ignorant fools who like to be a pain in the a$$, OR they are in pure denial...
Either way you put it, you can't change people who think like that, some you can convince, but the most just stand with their beliefs/opinions...
It's a battle lost long before it began, it's very annoying, it's very disturbing, it makes you wanna do Charizards' Rock Smash in real life, but just try to ignore the people, it's hard, but try :)...

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Persoanlly I think there are two type of casual players

Players who wish to be the best and players who think they are the best.

DiscoShark

Smash Apprentice
Holddd up here. From some of the posts in this thread it seems that many are trying to imply that those individuals who choose not to use advanced techniques, or choose not to get involved into the tournament scene are "ignorant". Let us not give the title of "ignorant" to people who simply enjoy a separate style of the smash bros. scene. Many people are forgetting that Smash isn't all about who can use the most advanced techs. in a given time frame. Casual players simply find more enjoyment in using items, are they "n00bs" for playing in a fashion that they enjoy?

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Well put Linko Ridley...
But the thing is...what you just wrote, has been written more than a million times, all with the same thought in mind..: ''Everybody should play as they want to play''...

I was just watching an Ike vs. Ness video on Youtube, also a Snake vs. Marth video...and I read some comments...
People there keep on spamming ''tourney***s'', ''n00bs'' and other insulting things I dare not speak here...
No matter how hard you try, people keep on being ignorant, I tried to convince my friends too, I use some advanced techniques and they don't,
they don't like it ''because we don't want to play like those people at tournaments...''
It's very annoying when people can't give good reasons for their beliefs/opinions, and I think that when someone can't explain their opinion, they are OR ignorant fools who like to be a pain in the a$$, OR they are in pure denial...
Either way you put it, you can't change people who think like that, some you can convince, but the most just stand with their beliefs/opinions...
It's a battle lost long before it began, it's very annoying, it's very disturbing, it makes you wanna do Charizards' Rock Smash in real life, but just try to ignore the people, it's hard, but try :)...
I know what Bugball is talking about, he is talking about this thread: (in spanish, you won't understand anything)
http://zonaforo.meristation.com/foros/viewtopic.php?t=987061

There, it was Bugball the one that couldn't explain his opinion, who was OR an ignorant fool who like to be a pain in the a$$, OR he was in pure denial

We were organizing an online league without prizes, just for the f****** fun, and we decided the rules as in democrazy: asking people what did they want. Most people wanted items and all stages ON, so we had to set the rules to "All Stages ON" and "Items ON".

But then, Bugball came, told us to deactivate items and hazardous stages, posted a few Melee pro videos (Not Brawl videos), and started trolling, saying things like: "J00 scared kidz, go 'n play wit ur p0k3b0lz" (Directly translated quote). We didn't flame him back, we just kept saying that it was what most of us wanted, and if he didn't like it, just don't participate.

Kruton

Smash Ace
There's nothing "ridiculous" about being a casual Smash fan...the items and fun stages are there for a reason. Sakurai made this game for a reason, and I can tell you that it isn't so that the competitive scene can flourish (even though it will ^_^).

That's really ignorant to bash and flame people just because they like playing with items on...

joepinion

Smash Apprentice
No need to explain; your preferred play environment is not inherently better than theirs, and they can play however they want. I mean, you were going to THEIR causual forums to share the Gospel of Competitive Play? Wha/??>>?? Let everyone play how they want.

Zek

Smash Ace
Persoanlly I think there are two type of casual players

Players who wish to be the best and players who think they are the best.
Err, don't you mean competitive players? Most casuals couldn't care less about being the best, that's what makes them casual.

TwilightKnight

Smash Cadet
To be honest the only type of casuals that are just plain annoying are the ones who go into topics about competitive play and start flaming anyone who doesn't play their way.

VisetheStompy

Smash Cadet
First off I think it should be made clear that both sides play the game for fun and like to win. However it should be made very clear that the reason the restriction are put in place is because at the major tournaments there is money on the line, in some causes a rather large amount.

For the sake of both the player and the people organizing the tournament these rules are in place to ensure that doubts and drama about results is eliminated at the get go.

Finally make it clear that if one does still not agree to these ideas, one is fine to orgainze their own form of tournament and they can impose any rule they want. Just let them know they have to be prepared to bear the responsiblites of thei choice.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Don't?

I don't know what to tell you other than that, seeing as how I consider myself a casual player.

MewDorf

Smash Cadet
Santa Barbara, CA but currently Azusa, CA
There's nothing "ridiculous" about being a casual Smash fan...the items and fun stages are there for a reason. Sakurai made this game for a reason, and I can tell you that it isn't so that the competitive scene can flourish (even though it will ^_^).

That's really ignorant to bash and flame people just because they like playing with items on...
I agree, what i meant and didn't communicate very clearly is that, if they are going to continue to not understand then don't bother explaining it. Just play how you want and let them play there way, you can't force someone to play a certain way.

NOT Sliq

Smash Cadet
Casual players = we have better things to do with our life.
Yeah, like post on an internet forum about a series of video games.

Kill yourself, you ****er. I'm sure you don't spend your free time curing diseases or volunteering.

Almost all hobbies are pointless.

I hope you die in a car fire.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Yeah. Casually.

There's a difference between being an obsessive internet geek, and casually browsing the net in the midst of a high-profile video game launch, sir.

Kill yourself, you ****er. I'm sure you don't spend your free time curing diseases or volunteering.
You must know everything about me, huh!

Oh right. Say my hobbies include personal fitness, funding a charity, and dentistry. That certainly doesn't benefit anyone whatsoever.

Listen here. I frankly don't give a flying crap if Brawl is the same as Melee or what the hell ever. It's just a video game. I'm buying it because it's fun, and because it'll give me something to do with friends on boring weekends.

You forget that Competitive Smash is no longer a hobby, it's usually a lifestyle. I'm not like that.

You kiss your mother with that mouth?

Find something better to do than tell people you don't know and don't care to die.

That would depend if driving his car is one of th "better things to do" Regardless, you can do both, the game was made for both, if you can't understand that, then you are a noob so go home.
I didn't say that, either way I am home, so..?

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman

wtf man take a chill pill arent u use to people being dumb on the net by now

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
haha... i'm pretty casual, but i understand the intensity and fun of "basic" matches. of course i think it is important to play item matches and unstable stages, but tourney-wise, these are only acceptable in gimmick tourneys.... not full-out serious tourneys.

simplicityho

Smash Journeyman
Forgive his bad English. He is Spanish, so he can't speak English, he will speak "Inglis". (That's how we spaniards pronounce "English")

You should explain them your ideas logically, without trolling and insulting (because that's what you were doing). Do not call them "scared children, go away to play with ur p0k3b0lz" (you actually did that, do you remember?). But, the most important part is that EVERYBODY SHOULD PLAY AS THEY WANT TO PLAY. If you don't understand this, just avoid casual forums. You should also avoid this forum, because that sentence is very repeated here.

You can't make casuals to play as profesionals. If they want to play a tourney with items just STFU about it, and don't participate. But don't make them to play with your rules, as nobody is making you to play with items, or to participate on that tourney.

Greetings
Linko, co-organizer of the casual Meristation Brawl League (Not Tourney, League)

I'm from Hong Kong. You don't see me typing like that.

NOT Sliq

Smash Cadet
Yeah. Casually.

There's a difference between being an obsessive internet geek, and casually browsing the net in the midst of a high-profile video game launch, sir.
You have 500 posts in 4 months. You post MORE than I do. But yeah, good point.

You must know everything about me, huh!
Oh, my bad, you were making baseless assumptions, so I thought I would also join in on the fun.

Just because someone plays Smash competitively doesn't mean they don't do other things, or that those other things play second fiddle to smash.

I agree, making an assumption about someone based off of very little information would not only make you look ********, by also like a huge tool. Good thing you didn't do that. OH WAIT, YOU ****ING DID!

Oh right. Say my hobbies include personal fitness, funding a charity, and dentistry. That certainly doesn't benefit anyone whatsoever.
First off, your phrasing implies to me that none of these are your hobbies, which sort of makes your point moot. Secondly, you assume that someone's hobbies can't be personal fitness, funding a charity, dentistry, AND COMPETITIVE SMASH. Man, you sure are a wiz at making yourself look like a ****ing ******.

You forget that Competitive Smash is no longer a hobby, it's usually a lifestyle. I'm not like that.
Another assumption. I fail to see how it could be a lifestyle, but maybe you'll enlighten me, as opposed to just posting one liner opinions with no basis.

Find something better to do than tell people you don't know and don't care to die.
I will if you find something better to do than to insult competitive players by implying they have no life. Man, you are like Supreme Overlord of the Double Standard. You should get some sort of award or something.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
seriusly how???? when i post in casual smash forums, explaining what is the competitive play, videos with avanced techniques, promatches, rules etc, at the just moment i have 20 replys saying: youre ***got? smash without objets?? BORING, only competitive starges?are you serius?? we only play torneys with objets!!! bla bla bla...

how to explain what competitive smash is to a noob player? discuss please
if you are spanish, then you are another of these pro elitist idiots jerk people hate so much.

learn from gimpy how to teach the casual how to play. And let ALL play like they want.

Competitive =/= Best way

Competitive = Casual = Another way

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Eheh...sorry if this is a bad time to be asking this..but what makes a competitive player a competitive player? In order to be competitive, do you need to enter tourneys and compete on an international/national level, or does it simply mean following tourney rules( no items, limited stages etc), even if you only battle against your friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom