• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to DI

cycon365

Smash Apprentice
That's actually a pretty decent guide

Charizard and D3 have been giving me a hard time lately

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
OK, important question then. What's Olimar's "fastest aerial"? Neutral... or...

duderno

Smash Rookie
doesn't olis neutral b stop moment as well and if so is it better then the fastest arial?

iRjOn

Smash Lord
B moves dont cancel the hit animation as quick as aerials can so I say no!...lol
Im saying it will take you longer to start up his b move because of the hit animations
And aerials just nearly instantly cancels it but dont cancel the motion though...
But ehh idk just my thoughts...

Fino

Smash Master
Yeah, I was thinking that, but have had no time to check for myself. It would make sense that specials wouldn't cancel momentum as well, since the point is to fast fall your aerial.

~Fino

Fino

Smash Master
which is better jumping or using the momentum cancel?
Depends... Momentum cancel in 99% of situations is better. There's that 1% chance where you have a couple frames to survive a star ko, and if you can jump and upB then that's a better option. For those who don't get it, basically you cannot kill yourself on the top wall, hence if you jump and up B you are safe... though for most characters... you put yourself back into a situation to be KO'd by being in your helpless falling animation. Jumping (for most characters) is also a poor choice, because you should save it for recovery options.

~Fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was reading back through the thread...
OK, important question then. What's Olimar's "fastest aerial"? Neutral... or...
fair

zomg skank...! hyz? ^_^ I'll be there in summer foo. lol

~Fino
Upair is Olimar's shortest aerial in duration so it's his best option for momentum canceling into a jump- not his fair.

Fino

Smash Master
I was reading back through the thread...

Upair is Olimar's shortest aerial in duration so it's his best option for momentum canceling into a jump- not his fair.
The frames for the fair and the uair are exactly the same, though awhile ago I realized what danGR said is correct, the uair is best for momentum canceling.

~Fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Upair and fair come out at the same frame, but upair lasts a shorter duration so you can jump more quickly after using it.

Fino

Smash Master
Upair and fair come out at the same frame, but upair lasts a shorter duration so you can jump more quickly after using it.
You... want to jump...? Do you even play olimar anymore? XD
You don't need to jump to momentum cancel. You can either use your aerial OR your jump... It'd be pointless to do both, and with olimar's recovery, you would just get gimped.

~Fino

XienZo

Smash Lord

You... want to jump...? Do you even play olimar anymore? XD
You don't need to jump to momentum cancel. You can either use your aerial OR your jump... It'd be pointless to do both, and with olimar's recovery, you would just get gimped.

~Fino
Seriously? Last time I checked, the equivalent of aerials were actually air dodges-to break hitstun and use your jump, which THEN cancels your momentum. The aerial itself doesn't stop momentum unless you're doing vertical-fast-falling cancel instead of a horizontal one.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Seriously? Last time I checked, the equivalent of aerials were actually air dodges-to break hitstun and use your jump, which THEN cancels your momentum. The aerial itself doesn't stop momentum unless you're doing vertical-fast-falling cancel instead of a horizontal one.
Exactly. The jump is what slows down your momentum. The whole point of the aerial is to break your hitstun to put you into a position where you can jump in the first place.

This should only be used with Olimar when you know you'll die if you don't use the jump. Otherwise, you're just wasting the double jump. (which as Fino said isn't a good thing. :p)

Here's a better summary: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=192522

Cook

Smash Master
Ok, so let me get this straight for the final time (I know it's been explained to me, but every now and then I'm a big dummy). In Melee both the control stick and the c-stick controlled DI. However, in Brawl only the control stick does? Instead of pointing the c-stick where you want to go, you use it to perform your fastest aerial? Also, if you don't point the control stick exactly 90 degrees from the direction you were sent flying, you are still DIing, right, just not as strongly? Do you have to DI immediately after being hit, or is it just more effective the sooner you do it? Does the c-stick still control smash DI (like, if I'm in Bowser's fire do I just mash both sticks in the same direction to get out?)?

Thanks, and sorry.

Fino

Smash Master
Ugh, this is getting way out of speculation for what everyone around here has stated as fact. TONITE I will get on and make a vid.
I will find the percent of a verticle and horizontal KO. Then I will use aerial dodging to try and stop momentum, aerial dodge plus jumping, fast fall aerial attack, and then fast falling and aerial attack with a jump. We'll see which cancels the momentum the most.
If I can't get a vid up I'll post the data.

~Fino

DUB

Smash Lord
That's a real good tutorial Fino. Not only telling you how but showing you some common moves and how to DI out of them. 5 Star'd.

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
Uhh... I didn't see anything about jumping in the vid. It slows your speed as well? /nub question

Fino

Smash Master
Testing...

This is the results I got from testing on FD. The numbers are at what % I died at.

DK uthrow from FD:
No DI: 219%
Aerial dodge only: 155%
DI only: 233%
DI + aerial dodge: 233%
DI + jumping: n/a - too much stun to jump
DI + momentum cancel (uair): 245%

DK bthrow on center of FD:
No DI: 155%
Aerial dodge only: 155%
DI only: 196%
DI + aerial dodge: 196%
DI + jumping: 192%
DI + momentum cancel (uair): 203%

Ike Fsmash from center of FD:
No DI: 43%
Aerial dodge only: 43%
DI only: 67%
DI + aerial dodge: 67%
DI + jump: 66%
DI + momentum cancel uair: 72%

Those are the results from my test. Try them out if you'd like. Sorry DanGR... jumping is bad, don't jump. Each of the moves were done from the center spawn zone to make sure that the moves were used in the exact same spot and stayed fresh. This was also conducted in practice mode.

~Fino

Top Bottom