• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with very campy/very bait n punish players?

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
This is what I struggle the most with when I play Zard, people who can camp, or those who are more patient than I am. Bear in mind that my Zard is a little fresh, and I don't have his gameplay down 100% yet.

Basically, fighting a character like Duck Hunt is absolute misery. It's a nightmare trying to navigate through the ocean of projectiles, only to get in close, get shieldgrabbed and thrown away, and have the cycle repeat itself. Any character who can sit back and fire projectiles at me is a nightmare for me to deal with. There's also the issue of people who play very, VERY defensively. They barely make mistakes, and capitalize on your own greatly. Campy/Defensive Fox, Pikachu, ZSS, Bowser Jr., and Mega Man players (just to name a few) are an absolute pain to deal with.

Any advice on dealing with these kinds of playstyles? I can somewhat deal with rush down/balanced players, but against heavy campers/defensive players I fall flat on my face.

Edit: Also, unrelated to the topic question, is Zard's 1-2-3 jab not a true combo? I've had people hit me/shield between the hits (usually hits 1-2).

Last edited:

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
Hate to break it to you, but this is something Charizard struggles against in general. He has little to no approach options so patient players will often have their way with you until you get them off the stage. His jab combo can be interrupted by a few other character's jabs (they need to fix this ****, seriously), so even that isn't safe at times.

You have to play very smart and go for very hard reads, and try your best to stay grounded. Flamethrower and Flare Blitz are useful to corner and punish, but most of the time, it's an uphill battle. You often have to think abstractly when using Charizard in a neutral setting.

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
Thank you for the advice, I was afraid that was going to be the case. It's hard (especially for a character like Zard) to press any button around these types of players without paying for it in spades. I'd hate to bust out a secondary against these types of players, but I might end up having to do so.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
As both a Jr & DH main that both aggressively rushes down & picks on Flare Blitz spamming Zards with these two, (Shorthop) Flamethrower, (Shorthop) NAir, DTilt (9 frame start-up now~), and even (tipped) FTilt & (Sliding) Rock Smash are among the better moves for getting in on them, as are run-up shields for DH. Depending on what moves they’re throwing out, you could try to Flare Blitz it for a big punish (if you want it to KO when you go for it, wait for when you get them to 100+%).

If those approach moves seem to be getting stuffed with shields into grabs, perhaps you could mix it up with empty jumps or run-ups (Zard’s run IS pretty fast… :D) into grabs or other attacks like what Zangief players do sometimes? ‘Course, it probably shouldn’t be done too often or predictably, for that can get stuffed with non-grab attacks.

I don’t believe Zard’s Jab is a true combo, IF you’re mashing Jab. You’ve got to hold the Jab button if you want all the hits to be consistent. Speaking of Jab, its 4 frame startup is fast enough to compete with Jr’s 4 frame Jab & DTilt, and DH’s Jab.

Specifically against Jr, maintaining the high ground against Jr is important, since his squishy head is where he gets damaged more & launched farther. Your horizontal air speed may not be great, but your 3rd jump helps you maintain the high ground easier than some other characters at least, like Jr’s dad. Flare Blitz has to respect Mechakoopas if it is already walking around & in-between you and Jr. Catching him in the middle of throwing out a Mechakoopa or even Cannonball is a free Flare Blitz, as is the middle of Side B (so long as he doesn’t Jump Cancel over it. If he DOES….).

This could serve as a reference for beating non-Side B Jump Cancelling Jrs that spam Mechakoopas & Cannonballs (this is pre-patch, sadly):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlMC8tupnTU

As for DH, catching him in the middle of sending out Gunmen is a free FB. Clays, Cans, and even Gunmen that are not in the middle of being thrown out must be respected (especially Clays) when running FB (Dragon Rush gets to DISrespect Cans & Gunmen, but still not so much Clays…).

The Zard player here may not have won, but came really close (KO percent reached close, at least):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me2Lu-yj1to

All the above is assuming FG 1v1 conditions. Such defensive play is easier punished in FFAs and even Teams (in FG at least), whether by 1 to 2 players joining you in wombo combo-ing them in FFAs, or your teammate(s) providing support & even cover fire for when you’re trying to approach them.

With customs, Dragon Rush & Rock Hurl become available, and are among your better approach moves, due to how safe they are in comparison to their default counterparts.

With other legal stages, Castle Siege, Delfino, Halberd, and possibly Battlefield, Smashville, and Town & City get to join you in breaking into camps, especially the 1st 2 mentioned stages. DR can net you some ridiculously early KOs in the walk-offs, which those 2 stages have. Jr’s gonna want to take you to Lylat Cruise, and DH will want to take you to Walled Omega stages, so ban them (Walled Omega stages, at least, when it's Duck Hunt trying to take you there) if possible.

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
Thanks a ton @ Splooshi Splashy Splooshi Splashy , that's some great matchup advice. I'll definitely apply that next time I come across a DH or Jr player.

DH was the real killer for me. Can went right over Flamethrower and onto my head, Clay Pigeons stopped FB cold in it's tracks, etc. It was very frustrating, but during that match I didn't really mix up my approaches very well (I also have a bad habit of throwing out SH Nairs too much, a common problem for me whenever I play a new character, or one that I haven't gotten used to yet).

I haven't had a chance to use Zard's customs vs anyone yet, but I've heard everyone talk about how amazing Dragon Rush and Rock Hurl are for some of his bad matchups with base specials.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
My best advice against these players regardless of which character you are using: Choose Battlefield or Castle Siege.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Jabs are always a true 3 hit combo on the CPU if you hit people with the edges of the claw hitbox. The interior hitbox only seems to have a true combo on hits 2 and 3 at low percents. This may differ with different percents, character weights, and DI but I'd say your best bet is to use the outer part of the hitbox. Mess around in training mode if you want.

I think that competitive tournament matches against projectile heavy characters seem genuinely hard to deal with but if you're just trying to hang out on FG without losing to campy projectile spammers, that's definitely well within reason if you have your mind set on using Charizard. And speaking from personal experience, I'd say Zard has the one of the steeper learning curves for learning how to beat projectile spammers as a beginner because almost all of his options are high lag and his horizontal aerial mobility is deplorable.

Charizard has the means to get in on campy projectile players like the average FG Link, DHD, and Bowser Jr. but I think Charizard's problems with Pikachu, Fox, and ZSS come from the safe, low lag options and very good low percent combo potential that these characters have. Getting around the latter 3's projectiles should be the least of your problems, really. I mean, the Utilts, my god.

My advice for playing against projectile campers:

Keep your cool and play safe!

We Charizard mains have about seven things going for us when approaching the average roll-happy, projectile-flinging FG player.
- A pretty good dash speed.
- A pretty good grab.
- A somewhat inconsistent jab combo (but hey, it gets them in the air).
- A lingering/strong dash attack.
- An enormous shield.
- A high weight.
- A Nair that ACs but has terrible priority.
...which means you're usually safest staying on the ground and shielding/powershielding until you can get in on them with a grab/jab or hit through a projectile with dash attack (like DHD's clay pigeon or occasionally Villager's gyriod). AC Nair is fine if you're right in their face while they're charging a projectile of some sort but otherwise it's not very safe for approaching. Dash attack is great at punishing rolls as well. And luckily enough for us, it's really hard to kill with a projectile other than Charge Shot and Aura Sphere. We might time out but at least we won't get camped to death. We keep stocks for a while. We also have a big shield so we can take small projectiles all day but powershielding is still definitely the way to go.

I don't even include Flare Blitz because you can't take full advantage of it before you make the most out of these aspects of what Charizard has to offer. Flare Blitz is best used when your opponent least expects it. If it's one of your main options, even the FG spammers will learn to bait and shield it after a game or two.

But more importantly, what shouldn't you be doing:
- Approaching with Flare Blitz
- Approaching a grounded or nearly grounded opponent with any aerial ever other than AC Nair
- Using Flamethrower midstage
- Rolling (especially when you need to avoid more than one projectile)
- Jumping over projectiles that aren't fired from over about 3/4 stage or under a short hop's horizontal distance

And I see a lot of these things in the videos @ Splooshi Splashy Splooshi Splashy posted. Granted, both of the games were close and fun to watch but I really do think the Charizard player should have or at least could have won/won by a wider margin. I don't really look at these matches and think to myself that DHD or Bowser Jr. was really all that creative with the projectiles. Sure, they applied pressure but I don't see any wild frame traps or custom combos that might make me think it's an unavoidable, terrible matchup for Charizard.

However, I will take the cop out response for defensive characters in general. Rosalina, Shiek, Fox, Pikachu, ZSS, and company are all really tough to deal with if they just wait for Charizard to come to them. There isn't really a separate group of things I can suggest to do against these characters other than "play safely and don't **** up." This isn't to say you won't be able to beat them on For Glory but the better players can punish a single laggy mistake with a huge combo (and Charizard's moves lend themselves to a lot of those). That's just the way things are as far as I know.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'd actually try to outcamp them.

Charizard is better at bait and punishing then most characters.

Just work on perfect shielding and don't pick FD.

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899
On top of what's said, I would also consider to swap out the FT with Flamethrower cannon. It forces campy styles to approach you instead and can go through most projectiles. Just be careful of the large commitment you have to make while using this. The flamethrower might be argued as a very good utility, but sometimes you just need the swap so you're not on that constant hike with some MUs.

Think about what you're fighting though before you make this decision. For example, with fox, he doesn't have any projectiles that would knock Zard back so instead it's probably a better alternative to keep him close and pressure him with FT (do not swap out for cannon in this case) and spacing tools. Avoid the full approach (pretty much, don't get next to him) while he's on his toes since he'll just block and counter your moves.

Depending on the MUs, it might also be wise to switch to Dragon Rush. Example, Duck Hunt's game will wall Blitz if you plan on trying to freely punish a laggy projectile move and hit the Can (or Gunman instead) Dragon rush will instead assist you moving around the field and beat out the opponent with Zard's other tools.

Last edited:

Adrwisler

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adriwisler
I am also getting into Charizard and finding the same issues. As a Marth main, short hopping and learning how to properly shield throught projectiles is key. Easier said than done & extremely hard to master.

The Payoff? it is extremely satisfying to nail a good hit, just make sure to get them off stage and calculate fair and dair to get the main kill, otherwise most characters will dance all over you.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
If For Glory allowed more stage variety, this wouldn't be so much of a problem...
It's not a problem that players are exposed to some zoning play since that's what they're going to experience in tournies
It's a problem that they probably won know how to use platforms to their advantage since there's none in FG.
To answer the OP's question, you said that you're a new Zard player. Ima just say this: practice against a training dummy (lvl 3 CPU is a good one) to get better at knowing Zard and his rhythm and timing. Once you have an inner "movelist" and know what move hits at what range, then you can fight them.
Also, go here http://8wayrun.com/threads/spacing-lines-in-the-sand.14615/

Pixel_

Smash Ace
It's not a problem that players are exposed to some zoning play since that's what they're going to experience in tournies
It's a problem that they probably won know how to use platforms to their advantage since there's none in FG.
To answer the OP's question, you said that you're a new Zard player. Ima just say this: practice against a training dummy (lvl 3 CPU is a good one) to get better at knowing Zard and his rhythm and timing. Once you have an inner "movelist" and know what move hits at what range, then you can fight them.
Also, go here http://8wayrun.com/threads/spacing-lines-in-the-sand.14615/
I feel like this is good advice, it's just that you have to get past those projectiles first...

Pixel_

Smash Ace
the link is the kicker =) go to it, it's fighting game fundamentals
I read it, but it's the same thing.
While Charizard's "killzone" might be at sword-length, projectile users' area is pretty much the whole stage.

It's still a really good article though :p

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Lemme pull out a street fighter one:http://sonichurricane.com/?p=1510 (I'm full of 'em!) look in the comments section to see how to counteract "fireball" characters.
EDIT: don't disregard the actual being taught! See how people use projectiles to know what they actually are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom