• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with Rosalina and Diddy?

Regulus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Count_Boognish
3DS FC
3351-4181-6573
I mean even when fighting mediocre Rosas or Diddy's, I still get wrecked. Rosaluma can gimp so easily and makes all projectiles worthless, and Diddy is well, Diddy. How do I combat?

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
Don't play Bowser Jr. and jump on the Rosalina and Diddy bandwagon. That's how you do it--because balance.

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I mean even when fighting mediocre Rosas or Diddy's, I still get wrecked. Rosaluma can gimp so easily and makes all projectiles worthless, and Diddy is well, Diddy. How do I combat?
Can't help you with Diddy as I have no experience with the matchup. But for Rosalina I say the air is your friend, FAirs and Bairs generally help as she is super tall. Stay away from your projectiles here, and also getting rid of Luma should be pretty easy as almost all of Bowser Jr.'s moves can knock it off the stage. Careful with Dash Attack and NAirs from Rosalina, as a Bowser Jr. player you should be familiar with catching people off guard with your lingering hitboxes so don't fall for your own strategies.

Last edited:

T-block

B2B TST
i play rosalina for these matchups =3

for diddy, if you get grabbed, hold down and away when he d-throws so you don't get u-air'd (jump and immediately air dodge if necessary)

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Apparently Bj sucks so you have no chance of beating a Rosalina that's equal or above you in overall play same goes for Diddy.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
I'm a Rosy main cause... I like her. But the best thing you have is your physical attacks. Bait the GP by using your mechas cause you can still use them later. Key thing is kill luma. If they're good then you'll get flooded with Dairs to which you can get off a lot of your normals. After luma is dead then your had range out ranges mine so work of that.

For Diddy, zone him out. I've seen this at one of my local tourney, he zoned the diddy with constant projectiles. However, killing will be the hardest part.

Nergal69

Smash Apprentice
Definitely stick to the air and fake them out with your Clown Kart Dash.

For Diddy, zone him out. I've seen this at one of my local tourney, he zoned the diddy with constant projectiles. However, killing will be the hardest part.
I love seeing terrible advice like this from clueless players. Constant projectiles? What ****ty region areyou from where a diddy got zoned out by Jr's slow and lag projectiles?

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I find that a lot of Diddies and Rosalumas like to charge straight at you either for a dash attack or grab. I usually and successfully trump this by just simply using my up-special, and angling myself towards their blast trajectory. WHAM! Hammer to the face.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
I love seeing terrible advice like this from clueless players. Constant projectiles? What ****ty region areyou from where a diddy got zoned out by Jr's slow and lag projectiles?
I'm in Georgia. And maybe you just don't know how you use your projectiles like he did. :) Spend some more time in training mode.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I find that a lot of Diddies and Rosalumas like to charge straight at you either for a dash attack or grab. I usually and successfully trump this by just simply using my up-special, and angling myself towards their blast trajectory. WHAM! Hammer to the face.
Or, deploy a Mechakoopa backwards when somewhat close to the edge.
Breaks grab attempts easily.

The_ToolBag

Smash Cadet
NNID
mr.kasabii7
I think the best way to win is just to control the flow, and be very patient. Mecha Koopas are great to let out and roam around while rushing down, and rosaluma dies pretty early from side b to up b to hammer around 80%. Don't be afraid to go off stage to edge guard diddy, and if he ever approaches with monkey flip, either up tilt or pivot smash

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
I can't say anything about Rosalina, but Diddy, IMO, isn't that bad. I've fared pretty well by just spacing and getting damage off bit by bit with fair, bair, and nair, and getting a MK off whenever I have enough room. You can also punish grab attempts with spotdodge>grab>uthrow>uair>uair, or uthrow>upB>hammer at later percents.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Against Rosalina, relying on just the Clown Cannon and Mecha-Koopas won't do Bowser Jr. any good. Because they're slow to execute, that gives Rosalina more than enough time to Gravitational Pull them.

However, Bowser Jr. can use his projectiles to his advantage in that he can approach Rosalina while she Gravitational Pulls them. Rosalina can use the Mecha-Koopas against Bowser Jr. though.

If customizations are involved, Piercing Cannon plows through the Luma, so using it as a shield won't save Rosalina from having to shield the attack herself, or Gravitational Pulling it. As for Impatient Mechakoopa, it does execute quicker than the other Mechakoopa variations, but I haven't really tested to see how it can cope with Gravitational Pull.

Now, the one big thing that Rosalina really needs to watch out for is Abandon Ship!, as that can really mess up her recovery if she's below a ledge. The same also applies to Major Ejection.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
for Diddy, use stage control as much as your can! deploy Mecha koopas to limit their spacing, you can also use your cannon but use it wisely since it can be punishable!

however, diddys LOVES grab and kill you with UAir, but you can actually escape it with DI/vectoring upward on the throw! diddy will miss the kill and are "somewhat" punishable with drill, Nair or you can simply escape and try to set up something else!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Okay, here's what I've found out about how Rosalina can cope with Impatient Mechakoopa. While Rosalina can use Gravitational Pull to stop the Mecha-Koopa, it'll self-destruct as soon as it touches ground, so she's not really able to use Impatient Mechakoopa to her advantage.

As for Big Mechakoopa, while Bowser Jr. can use the giant Mecha-Koopa for himself, Rosalina can use Gravitational Pull on the thrown giant Mecha-Koopa, and she won't be affected by the explosion.

Last edited:

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
I'll add that by far one of the best ways to beat Rosalina is to care about KOing Luma. Don't take an "It will just come back" attitude, because those 13 seconds she doesn't have him are a HUGE advantage for anyone. And one of the most devastating and demoralizing things you can do to a Rosalina is KO her Luma right after it respawns.

This means knocking Luma off the edge and not actually wracking up damage on him. The main thing to take note of is how Luma isn't actually protected by Roslaina's shield so if you land moves on her shield you can still hit Luma even if Rosalina is protected. (Luma does share in Rosliana's invulnerabilty durring spot dodges and rolls though) For almost all characters dash attacks knock Luma pretty far and put him in tumble. Bowser Jr.s Clown Car is another move that will knock Luma really far and drive right through Roslaina's shield. Be careful to use the move in opportune ways though becasue if you just spam them in attempts to kill Luma Rosalina will definitely punish you. Additionally almost all attacks can kill Luma when Roslaina is near the edge. Smart Roslaina's will gravitate (heh heh) more towards the center of the stage during the neutral game because its presents the least risk to Luma. But don't be afraid to get extra aggressive if she's ever near the edge. Also Luma doesn't recover instantly when knocked around. It takes him almost a second to get his wits about him and return to Rosalina so if you hit Luma but it isn't far enough to go over the edge just run after him and hit him again. Rosalina can't make him attack while he's tumbling. If he's in "with Rosalina" mode then he recovers by returning to her side but if he happens to be separated it just makes him easier to KO.

In the end you just always need to be thinking about how pressure you put on Rosalina makes her leave Luma exposed. Go for surprise Clown Cars when you're right next to her or that are aimed to hit her as she lands so that she has no choice but to shield, I don't play Jr. very often so I can't give you more ideas but experiment and hone in on the safest ways to quickly end Luma because that will seriously step up your vs Rosalina game.

Also don't think of SoRo as helpless either just be aware that you definitely have the upper hand when Luma is gone.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I do advocate trying to get Luma when Rosalina is in or getting control of neutral, it's
just that many attacks that are very reliable for killing him tend to also leave yourself
open for Rosa retaliation. Don't be afraid to just whittle Luma away with pokes either.

SEXINT

Smash Rookie
I like to bait Rosalina with a mechakoopa, rush down with the clown cart, Up B, then hammer them in the air and fast fall back to safety. Easy 40-50% damage right there. In general I usually play really aggressive against them and utilize a lot of short hopping Nairs. Bowser Jr's aerials are good for pummeling her.

For Glory Diddys are easy enough to play against because they are always thirsty to get the hoo-hah for easy percentage build-up. Bait their grabs, spot dodge, and utilize short hop Nairs and Bairs. It's always a good idea to keep a mecha koopa on the ground. I've interrupted many down throws because the mechakoopa creeped up on Diddy. In general you'll want to avoid being stuck in the air as he can really exploit the air game. Landing is also an issue because he can rush down and exploit the lag with command grabs and bananas.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
if you are able to pack customs, sibe 3 helps in both match-ups, rosalina should be fought with impatient mechakopa (blows up on her, guaranteeed damage on your first try if they never fought one before), and piercing cannon for luma+shield punishes if she doesn't GP.

diddy's recovery migth make Meteor Ejection a wise option.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
VS Diddy Kong...
I have yet to face a really strong one, but from the ones I faced I noticed a few things...
- Mechakoopas can stop aerial bananas.. IIRC when Diddy threw a banana and it contacted the mechakoopa before hitting the ground, our projectile kept walking, and his vanished. Use this to our advantage. Shut down Diddy's lame attempts to fish for Hoo Hah. Though to be fair a good Diddy won't lose his banana to our mechakoopas by throwing it directly at our projectiles..
I should clarify this only applies to bananas in the air. If it's on the ground the mechakoopa won't remove it. Instead it will keep walking.

- We can Bair/Fair Diddy in Monkey Flip. Because it's disjointed, We can also hit him if he tries attacking out of it too! :)
- Just like Captain Falcon, Diddy is most dangerous when under us. Do your best to stay level or at least prevent him from abusing his Uair.
- Diddy is limited when you are below him. Give him a taste of his own medicine and shark the monkey with Uairs. If he gets far enough, Fair/Bair. If he tries to fastfall, land on him with Dair. Chase Diddy and don't let him get away. But keep your spacing because if you give him the chance he will counter with Fair/Bair (which come out fast and are just as good as Jr's aerials, except for lack of disjoint)
- Ftilt and jab are your best friends to stop a diddy from trying to grab you. If he tries to roll behind you, turn around and Jab/Ftilt/Dtilt/Dsmash him (if you can do it fast enough... I can't, so I just use the safest and fastest options)
- Hold onto a mechakoopa if you are worried about Diddy's grab still. If you jump and pick it up after z dropping, it won't hurt you with its explosion. You can now kart dash to advance without worrying about Diddy grabbing you because the MK will explode on him if he tries. (but watch out for his attacks cuz he can make the MK explode earlier by hitting you hard enough)

Anyways I'll add more after I face some better Diddy Kongs...

Last edited:
Top Bottom