• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to change slash textures Project M

Xenoks

Smash Rookie
Hello, everyone. I've made my own slash effect with marth's sword, where the slash is blue fire, but I don't know where to put the .pac file.
I've searched trough countless tutorials, tried replacing any of the skins, but it just won't show.
Is this even possible? And if so, how do I do it?

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Hello, everyone. I've made my own slash effect with marth's sword, where the slash is blue fire, but I don't know where to put the .pac file.
I've searched trough countless tutorials, tried replacing any of the skins, but it just won't show.
Is this even possible? And if so, how do I do it?
To replace sword trails and other character GFX, go into Marth's MotionEtc.Pac and you should find an "Etc." Arc. Open that and start looking in the Texture Bres. You should find the sword trail in one of them.

Xenoks

Smash Rookie
To replace sword trails and other character GFX, go into Marth's MotionEtc.Pac and you should find an "Etc." Arc. Open that and start looking in the Texture Bres. You should find the sword trail in one of them.
Thanks, it works, but it's too transparent, any way to fix this?

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, it works, but it's too transparent, any way to fix this?
What does the original texture look like? If it's solid, make your texture solid, if it's transparent, try to make your texture the same level of transparency.

Xenoks

Smash Rookie
What does the original texture look like? If it's solid, make your texture solid, if it's transparent, try to make your texture the same level of transparency.
It's very dark blue.
It has no transparent parts, but still shows up transparent, I think I need to change something when I insert it.

Xenoks

Smash Rookie
I also put something to RGB565 (forgot what it's called)

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
I also put something to RGB565 (forgot what it's called)
That's the image format. Was that the original image format of the sword trail that was there? If not, make sure the new one is in the same format as the old one. It's best to keep images at whatever format they were in, since they're usually that way for a reason.

Last edited:

Xenoks

Smash Rookie
That's the image format. Was that the original image format of the sword trail that was there? If not, make sure the new one is in the same format as the old one.
How do I check the image format?
All I can think of is that it's .png :/

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
How do I check the image format?
All I can think of is that it's .png :/
If you import a texure in Brawlbox, it'll give you options on how to encode it. In one of the dropdowns, you'll see options such as CMPR, C14, C18, I8, etc. You'll have to choose the one that the original image was. To find this, find the image in an unedited MotionEtc.pac and look in the file information window. There'll be something that says "Format" or something like that.

Xenoks

Smash Rookie
If you import a texure in Brawlbox, it'll give you options on how to encode it. In one of the dropdowns, you'll see options such as CMPR, C14, C18, I8, etc. You'll have to choose the one that the original image was. To find this, find the image in an unedited MotionEtc.pac and look in the file information window. There'll be something that says "Format" or something like that.
There's no slash picture in FitMarthMotionEtc.pac, but I believe that the original slash texture was the same format

Xenoks

Smash Rookie
There's something called "NW4R" at the end of the folders, is that it?

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
There's something called "NW4R" at the end of the folders, is that it?
I'm not sure, I need to take a look at the files, so give me a minute.
EDIT: Okay, so you'll want to open FitMarth.pac, and go into ef_marth. Open texture data and select eff_marth_sword_flare. That's the sword trail. It's format is RGB565. It is not transparent, so your texture should be solid and scaled at the same size, too. The materials and shaders make it transparent in game.

Last edited:

Xenoks

Smash Rookie
EDIT: Okay, so you'll want to open FitMarth.pac, and go into ef_marth. Open texture data and select eff_marth_sword_flare. That's the sword trail. It's format is RGB565. It is not transparent, so your texture should be solid and scaled at the same size, too. The materials and shaders make it transparent in game.
Alright, thanks.

Xenoks

Smash Rookie
Wait do I need to change the widht and hight of my texture to that?

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Wait do I need to change the widht and hight of my texture to that?
Your texture should be the same scale as the original file. It should also have the parts of the trail in the right place. The white part of the texture is the sword outline, where the sword is going to be. The blue part is the actual trail, that follows the sword and it's outline. If you need help getting your texture to work, just send it to me and I'll make it work.

Xenoks

Smash Rookie
Your texture should be the same scale as the original file. It should also have the parts of the trail in the right place. The white part of the texture is the sword outline, where the sword is going to be. The blue part is the actual trail, that follows the sword and it's outline. If you need help getting your texture to work, just send it to me and I'll make it work.
Alrgiht, I'll upload them to mediafire in just a bit

Xenoks

Smash Rookie
http://www.mediafire.com/download/67ayxbs8108ll3z/Trails.zip
I'm using PM 3.6 just to clarify. No mods are installed.

Top Bottom