• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat new players?

Anarchy plz

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-3885-4711
Me and my friends recently got into melee and we're having a blast. But, I'm the only one who knows anything about the advanced strategies like wavedashing and L-canceling. So when I play my friends I always try to predict them doing a combo, but instead they just like to spam the same move over and over. How do I beat them while besides going down to the same level?

Eh, there is probably a lot I could try saying. But, I guess most of it requires more experience than you might currently have. For example, if someone is repeatedly rapid jabbing you and not letting up you ASDI/SDI out in some respect, then use the proper according move. Say I am getting Captain Falcon and Sheik rapid jabs me. I ASDI/SDI away from sheik, then get an Fsmash pulled. The reason is that Fsmash would have higher ground priority over rapid jab and go through the hitbox of jab. Or if I get jabbed by some character like Fox, then I Nair out since jab -> w/e from fox shouldn't be a solid follow-up I believe.

Pretty much everything in this game has a counter in some regard and you just need to apply the right countermeasure for whatever is giving you issues. The normally the simplest method is to just wait. Wait, outside a person's attack range waiting for them to whiff the attack, then you rush in and counter it. W/e the attack or commitment was from them.

It'll just take practice and time to figure out the right counter for whatever is giving you issues. Oh, but the biggest thing is once someone makes a mistake and you get the chance to punish them for it, figure out how to keep the punish going on for as long as possible.

Last edited:

Xyzz

Smash Champion
There's a huge difference between mindlessly spamming the same move over and over again, and applying the same counter over and over again, because you realize somebody is doing the former.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
New players are really easy to destroy. All you have to do is find one or two exploitable flaws in their gameplay and poop on them. Do they never tech? Plan your combos with this in mind. They like to fsmash a little too much? Run in with shield or just dash dance next to them to bait it out. You have to accept that they aren't going to be playing anywhere near optimal and change your style accordingly.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Learn how to punish moves. Learn the spacing it takes to avoid getting hit by whatever move while still being close enough to punish someone afterward. It depends on what character you play. You can either dash dance grab or aerial (into combo) anyone that's spaming moves though.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Play marth and space out there moves. Punish there dumb rolls really hard, play puff if you know how to do this and want to wreck them hard.

Anarchy plz

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-3885-4711
I'm also quite new to the game too. So I understand spacing and stuff but trying to punish with the right moves at the right time is difficult for me. Also, I have no clue how to ledgeguard.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
I think in this instance it is 100% your ability to adapt. Since they don't play conventionally, it might be actually detrimental to apply same tactics as you would an experienced player. Like most have said, learn their pattern and dismantle it. New players should have very little experience adapting to you once you adapt to them. If they try to do so, they'll usually flub hard, since their plan A is gone and plan B doesn't exist.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
figure out how the move works and think what you can do to counter it if you know they will spam it.

Hey Marth is gonna just fair all day, as peach I dash attack inbetween his fairs to hit him/throw a turnip at him.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
treat em like any other player. every situation is a case and you just gotta choose the right situation for any situation. i.e. if they spam fsmash, avoid or shield it and punish and combo them to death.

what makes nooby players really bad though is that for most of their options, there are like 5000000 ways to beat them cuz they choose options very suboptimally. so if you get to a certain level, you just kinda steam roll them without any effort lol, then you throw in random moves to make things more exciting

Last edited:
Top Bottom